Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Gastric surgery

Yes, yes. We all know a girl who had it, and then she died.

Anyone else? I am thinking of having the sleeve done. I have a 43% BMI. I'm 38.

by Anonymousreply 6710/18/2013

I did 10 months ago. I've lost 86 pounds. Still losing some. I recommend it for the right person.

by Anonymousreply 110/09/2013

My brother had it done 2 1/2 years ago. Lost 250 lbs and is doing Great.

by Anonymousreply 210/09/2013

Problem solved.

by Anonymousreply 310/09/2013

It doesn't take away the ugly.

by Anonymousreply 410/09/2013

I did it in June--down 85 pounds. Best decision ever.

by Anonymousreply 610/09/2013

If you do get it done, be prepared to deal with diarrhea for the rest of your life.

by Anonymousreply 710/09/2013

R7. simply not true. I had the Roux en Y six years ago (kept 90 lbs off) and it's all a matter of knowing what to eat and what not to eat. Stop passing (so to speak) wrong info.

by Anonymousreply 810/09/2013

I have diarrhea everyday now anyway.

by Anonymousreply 910/09/2013

"A common misunderstanding of gastric bypass surgery is that the pouch causes weight loss because it is so small, the patient eats less.

Although that is true for the first six months,that is not how it works. Some doctors have assumed that poor weight loss in some patients is because they aren't really trying to lose weight.

The truth is it may be because they haven't learned how to get the "satisfied" feeling of being full to last long enough....

It is NOT the size of the pouch but how it is used that makes weight loss maintenance possible."

- Pouch Rules for Dummies

by Anonymousreply 1010/09/2013

[bold]Guest blog - Daily Life with a gastric bypass [/bold]

Let me just preface this rant with the declaration that I don't believe weight loss surgery leads to overall good health. It may provide you with short term or drastic weight loss but it will cause side effects that make it not worth the pain and suffering. Don't bother leaving me a comment to the contrary. I've heard it all. I've been called "bitter" and "a failure" and been yelled at for discouraging people form getting this "life saving surgery". I will glance at your comment and delete it.

That being said, let me tell you about overful pouch syndrome. It feels like dumping but it ain't. It's when the pouch stretches too far and too much food needs to be processed. The symptoms are frightening: rapid heart pounding, weakness, dizziness, pain, pressure,and a sudden need to raise your legs higher than your heart no matter where you are.

Now, you mean-spirited, pro-wls [weight loss surgery] cheerleaders are going to say that I should have learned by now exactly how much food I can tolerate. Let me school you. I am able to tolerate less and less food over time. I had my rny [Roux n Y] gastric bypass in 2006. I can now tolerate half of what I could eat when I first started this awful "journey". Different foods cause different reactions under different circumstances. It's always a surprise. I can eat and process less and less food.

One might think this is good news. One might expect me to be delightfully thin by now.

I fight fatigue due to my inability to take in enough food to give me the energy I need to live my life.

I can't tolerate protein shakes and never could.

My metabolism has slowed to accommodate my miniscule portions of food. I'm a sluggish, tired, cranky f*ck for a major portion of my day.

I have to load up on sugar and salt just to give me the energy to teach my classes. When I'm hungry I can never eat enough to truly satisfy my hunger. The overfull pouch symptoms begin before I can get enough food into my body.

And so it goes...

Special occasions are difficult. Going out to eat is difficult. Social eating is difficult.

I have to gauge when I've had enough and put the fork down in time. Since there is a delayed reaction between swallowing and the food reaching my poor pouch, I often take a few bites too many. I pay dearly for every mis-bite.

Different foods produce different levels of discomfort. Sometimes I can eat a big salad. Sometimes I can eat lots of fruit. Sometimes I'm wrong and mere orange juice will cause the symptoms. It's a crap shoot every time I pick up a fork.

This weekend my brother and sister in law are visiting from Vermont. We had a lovely dinner at a Thai fusion place in Montclair. After dinner we went around the corner to Coldstone Creamery. We each got child's portions of dessert. We just wanted a taste. I took one spoonful too many. I had to explain why I was sighing and burping and roughly exhaling as I drove home.

I hate the weight loss surgery sales pitch. I was promised one thing and am experiencing another.

Satiety is not possible with water, I don't care what the literature says.

Protein shakes are odious. I am nauseated by them after the first sip.

All the tricks for feeling satisfied on a subsistence level of food don't work.

by Anonymousreply 1110/09/2013

Our bodies are more complex than what the wls people want you to believe. Feeling satisfied after a meal is not just a function of the pouch or the stomach. Our bodies signal their need for food in many ways. Trying to cheat that system leads to a deficit, a debt, a bill that we have to pay to our bodies. Living on post-wls diets lead to problems, I don't care what the cheerleaders tell you. Some of them outright lie. Some are experiencing symptoms that their doctors won't admit are directly related to their weight loss surgery. Some are so delirious from being thin they ignore other areas of their physical existence. Many have stalled or gained weight back and disappear from the scene for fear of the shaming that comes from the cheerleaders and the medical people themselves.

My brother and sister in law are here with Theodore and Tilly Bear of the Teddy Bear Monastery founded by my brother. I'd like to enjoy their visit without having the burden of worrying that one bite too many will give me heart attack symptoms. That's not how it goes with wls. I'll be spending huge portions of their visit in major discomfort. I notice it more when I'm with people and when I'm eating outside the home.

Wls is the forever-f*ck-you for being fat. It is the forever-f*ck-you for being convinced that one has an eating disorder that only surgery can keep in check.

Every single time I eat I am reminded of my decision to alter my insides in an effort to be acceptably thin. I am reminded of my decision that I needed surgery to help me manage my eating because I decided I was untrustworthy as a self-caretaker.

Every single time I eat.

Every single day.

by Lisa Sargese, M.A.

by Anonymousreply 1210/09/2013

Lisa needs to smoke a fat joint.

by Anonymousreply 1310/09/2013

I know a girl who had it almost a year ago. Down about a hundred pounds, but still a big girl. She will never be supermodel skinny like she's hoping--she doesn't have the frame or build for it. She always had an extremely beautiful face which hasn't changed.

by Anonymousreply 1410/09/2013

Dear Lisa Sargastric Overpass:

Sucks to be you. Apparently it doesn't suck to be a lot of other WLS patients.

That's all.

by Anonymousreply 1510/09/2013

R-8. I am not passing wrong information. Too many close friends and family members have told me about the diarrhea. Why the hell would I make something up.. You are a JERK!

by Anonymousreply 1610/09/2013

I never agreed with this type of surgery.

When you have an affliction, you get at the root of the problem, and a thumb sized stomach is no answer. Thin people don't have thumb sized stomachs. They eat normal amounts, sometimes more than normal. To end obesity, we need to speed up the metabolism, without causing any addiction.

I don't believe anyone who could accomplish this, wants to. Weight loss failure is way too lucrative.

by Anonymousreply 1710/09/2013

[quote][R7]. simply not true. I had the Roux en Y six years ago (kept 90 lbs off) and it's all a matter of knowing what to eat and what not to eat. Stop passing (so to speak) wrong info.

Obviously being slim and healthy is "all a matter of knowing what to eat and what not to eat". No one needs barbaric surgery to do so! It's sheer laziness. Put the god damn fork down you vile ham beast.

by Anonymousreply 1810/09/2013

OP, I watched a documentary on Netflix last night called Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. You might want to check it out. A severely overweight man who was surely a gastric bypass candidate managed to lose a tremendous amount of weight by juicing for just a few months. I'm sure it would be very difficult to maintain self-control, but also a lot cheaper.

by Anonymousreply 1910/09/2013

I've heard good things about a sleeve, but the only person you should be taking advice from is a doctor who isn't trying to sell you surgery. Get some professional advice as to what is right for you. No matter what anyone else's experiences are they do not have exactly the same physicality as you. Good luck, I hope you succeed and be healthy.

by Anonymousreply 2010/09/2013

OP, do you have more than 100 lbs. to lose? (I can't tell by the BMI you posted.) Have you tried everything else and nothing has worked? Do you have such severe health issues that it's either do this or die? In these circumstances I think it's a good idea.

I know several people who've had the surgery. Some have kept most of the weight off, but others have relapsed and gained a lot back. Most of them have not had problems relating to the surgery itself.

I have a friend who is in a program in the Northeast where she is under medical supervision as she drinks most of her diet (special protein/vitamin shakes) for the first several months (she's lost about 90 lbs but still has many to go). She also undergoes extensive therapy to help her address her eating issues and keep her from breaking down/cheating. If you can find a program like this, you will probably find it most beneficial.

by Anonymousreply 2110/09/2013

I have a friend who gained all of the weight back.

So did Carnie Wilson. So has a lot of others.

It's not healthy. Don't do it. It doesn't fix the desire / need / obsession to eat.

by Anonymousreply 2210/09/2013

Have you considered overeaters anonymous? I was a member for many years. I knew lots of people who lost over 100 lbs and dealt with the underlying issues that lead them to overeat.

by Anonymousreply 2310/09/2013

A sobering fact... A friend of mine who weighs in excess of 550 lbs says she's outlived 48 of her friends who had weight loss surgery.

by Anonymousreply 2410/10/2013

A study headed by Dr David Flum in Washington which analyzed the case histories of 62,000 gastric bypass patients, found that within the first 30 days after surgery, the death rate had been 1 death every 50 surgeries. This was considerably higher than even the worst estimate. Dr Flum commented on CNN news that it was time for "a reality check on this surgery". report delivered to the College of surgeons in Oct 21, 2003.[Study title: The Impact of Bariatric Surgery on Patient Survival: A Population-Based Study]

by Anonymousreply 2510/10/2013

Edward Mason, inventor of the gastric bypass wrote this in an article in 1999:

"For the vast majority of patients today, there is no operation that will control weight to a "normal" level without introducing risks and side effects that over a lifetime may raise questions about its use for surgical treatment of obesity."

Edward Mason (MD, PhD - inventor of the gastric bypass)

by Anonymousreply 2610/10/2013

Shut your ignorant fuckin' mouth, R27, you worthless piece of shit.

People become obese for a lot of reasons, and most of them aren't under conscious control.

You, however, have chosen to be a nasty, judgemental cunt.

I hope you die slowly and painfully and really really soon.

by Anonymousreply 2810/10/2013

r28 sounds morbidly obese. And hypocritical, but that's beside the point.

by Anonymousreply 2910/10/2013

Shit. I forgot about Carnie Wilson. She did gain it all back, didn't she?

by Anonymousreply 3010/10/2013

I've been thinking about having weight loss surgery.

I went to the mandated seminar (free) given by the bariatric center. This is step 1.

The seminar was lead by one of the surgeons and he described the 5 different types of surgery offered.

This was very informative because not only did it list the pros and cons of each one it also told us what health issues knocked you out of consideration for certain surgeries. He also discussed what life would be like with each different surgery.

If you are interested I highly recommend going to one of these information seminars. They are given weekly at the bariatric center near me.

by Anonymousreply 3110/12/2013

One odd side effect seems to be increased risk for alcoholism if you have bariatric surgery. I think this happened to Carnie Wilson. I guess since your stomach is so small the alcohol gets into your bloodstream much faster.

by Anonymousreply 3210/12/2013

[quote]One odd side effect seems to be increased risk for alcoholism if you have bariatric surgery.

Weird, would've never thought of that!

by Anonymousreply 3310/12/2013

Another side effect is having the screaming shits all the time.

by Anonymousreply 3410/15/2013

I decided to not cut my body open, but to desperately try for six months to eat as a gastric bypass or sleeve patient would. In other words to nearly starve.

by Anonymousreply 3510/15/2013

I had band surgery 4 years ago. I was incredibly successful my first year. Then things started to slow. I had about 80 lb to lose and lost 75 of them. I have kept off about 60 lbs.

I need the band because I had no self control when it comes to portion size. I still have no self control.

I do not have the shits. I have had a band slip where I threw up blood for a day. The fluid was released from the band and the slip righted itself.

It is not a miracle. You still have to work at not gaining weight. I am happy I did the procedure and would do it again. However, I know that my success is limited by my inability to slow down when eating.

Okay. Have at me DL masses.

by Anonymousreply 3610/15/2013

I use to be a huge lard-ass and get this--I lost weight by eating HUGE amounts of healthy food and exercising like an athlete.

The whole secret to getting fit (notice I didn't say getting skinny) is to gain muscle. Muscle is the key to fitness and health.

And I noticed that the protein shakes did me a lot of harm for some reason. The ones I drank were whey-based but something in them sickened me.

by Anonymousreply 3710/15/2013

R38. That is fucked up that she's doing ads and it's fake.

I've been 100 pounds overweight, give or take 30 pounds or so every couple years, for 15 years.

The fat is fucking THERE. It wants to stay there NO MATTER WHAT. It comes back every chance it gets.

by Anonymousreply 3910/15/2013

I've been on a diet for the past two months. I've lost about 25 pounds the natural way. Just eating less, especially less processed food, fewer carbs, etc. Mostly just a small portion of protein, with small portions of fruits and vegetables. Of course no pizza, burgers, ice cream, sugary drinks, or fried food. It's that simple.

The whole idea of avoiding any kind of surgery is a big motivating force for me. Surgery should be the absolute last resort. If you really, really try dieting honestly then it should work for you. I'm used to eating less now, and I don't want to screw up the succcess that I've had already by falling back to old habits.

by Anonymousreply 4010/15/2013

r37 and r40 can you describe what you eat in a typical day, and when? Have you given up alcohol completely?

by Anonymousreply 4110/15/2013

My doctor offered it to me as a possibility (I was 60, weighed 335.) From everything I've heard, it's much too drastic and dangerous. But so is being overweight, so I just started dieting. I've lost 85 pounds since the end of January just by eating smarter. And you don't end up with all the excess loose skin when you lose it this way either.

by Anonymousreply 4210/15/2013

You can watch Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead on Youtube too.

by Anonymousreply 4310/15/2013

Don't do it. Us chubby chasers will miss you.

by Anonymousreply 4410/15/2013

Hi R41, you cannot drink any alcohol whatsoever when trying to lose weight.

I ate lots of Asian-type food--stir fry's, lots of poultry, and loads of kale. I think kale is a miracle food for weight loss.

I also ate a lot of fermented foods, as they are helpful as well. Butter was never a problem for me, I can eat lots of it every day and still lose weight. Bread is fine as well as long as it is sourdough bread (a fermented food) and I even ate a pint of frozen yogurt every three days.

But I worked out like a mofo. Stay away from soy and any soy products.

Those of us who are fat or have been fat are at an advantage because it is easier for us to gain muscle--we're strong already for having carried all of that weight around.

by Anonymousreply 4510/16/2013

I'm pretending as though I had it. Damn hungry though.

by Anonymousreply 4610/16/2013

[quote]People become obese for a lot of reasons, and most of them aren't under conscious control.

Your fridge and pantry are full of JUNK that you bought at the store.

Thin people don't buy that shit.

by Anonymousreply 4710/16/2013

Listen. Here is what people don't understand. This is why it is SO incredibly hard to lose weight.

When you have been obese a very long time, the fat literally sticks to you. You gain and lose, gain and lose. It just wants to stay there. There is some scientific proof of this.

by Anonymousreply 4810/16/2013

My God sound like a pig!

by Anonymousreply 4910/16/2013

Then bite my PORKY ass R49! Oink oink baby!

by Anonymousreply 5010/16/2013

Hey OP,

I had the sleeve in Janaury and have lost eighty pounds. It was the best thing I ever did. It has taught me how to eat and helped me deal with the reason I overate.

I am an emotional eater, and after the surgery you simply cannot overeat, so a lot of emotions come up. You have to deal with them. I think this is why people turn to alcohol. Get a good therapist because that feeling of comfort that food gave me was gone.

I have had trouble digesting bread so i began more of a South Beach way of living. Vegetables are mushy and easy to eat and so is fruit. Obviously protein is key also. I have also chosen to stay away from white sugar, because these were the things that I was comfortable giving up. I do have a piece of pizza once a month where I used to eat it almost three times a week.

It changes your life first and then your weight changes. I feel amazing and have a whole new lease on life. Yes, I would recommend it, if you are prepared to deal with all the other issues. Remember do what is best for you answer no one else. I didn't even tell anyone I had it done until they started noticing i was losing weight. Good luck.

Last thing, you won't be able to have any carbonation at all ever. That is the only part I miss. ;)

by Anonymousreply 5110/16/2013

[quote] R51: Last thing, you won't be able to have any carbonation at all ever. That is the only part I miss.

So do you open up your six two-liter bottles of Diet Pepsi the night before so they'll be flat by the time you start breakfast?

by Anonymousreply 5210/16/2013

We don't need any smart asses on this thread. Just real fat people with real fat problems.

by Anonymousreply 5310/17/2013

No smart asses, just fat asses. Got it, r53

by Anonymousreply 5410/17/2013

No smart asses just fat asses!

This thread's slogan.

by Anonymousreply 5510/17/2013

Why can't you hav carbonation ?

What's wrong with carbonation if it's diet ?

by Anonymousreply 5610/17/2013

I know someone who has gastric bypass about ten years ago.

She lost a lot of weight quickly, then had another surgery to deal with the saggy skin.

A decade later, she's gained back much of the lost weight. I thought that was impossible, but she's living proof that it isn't. Buyer beware.

by Anonymousreply 5710/17/2013

I'm going to a seminar tonight.

Can your stomach literally explode if you overeat? I don't know if anyone will ask this tonight.

by Anonymousreply 5810/17/2013

It won't explode. You will upchuck if you eat too much.

by Anonymousreply 5910/17/2013

R58, that seminar is a sales pitch.

Don't do it.

by Anonymousreply 6010/17/2013

I know a woman who was 38 who did it. It wound up causing her to get a divorce. She was constantly miserable, always on the verge of throwing up.

She died 5 years later at the age of 43.

by Anonymousreply 6110/17/2013

A lot of people die from the surgery. I'm surprised it's legal.

by Anonymousreply 6210/17/2013

The band and the sleave are the least invasive because they do not switch up the way the food is transported from the stomach to the intestines. They just make your stomach smaller

As a result, you don't have the complications of diarrhea, sweats, need for vitamin replacements,etc... that the gastric bypass patients suffer through.

I'm planning on having the sleave surgery.

by Anonymousreply 6310/18/2013

My best friend had the band, which was installed too tight. He nearly died, was in the hospital for 10 days since the stoma (the opening through which food passes) was so tight even some thick liquids wouldn't pass without problems.

He struggled with not being able to eat enough calories, and like many, was only able to get enough by eating ice cream and other sugary foods. As a result, he only lost a nominal amount and ended up having to have the band removed 6 months later.

Needless to say, he does not recommend it.

by Anonymousreply 6410/18/2013

It sounds like your friend had an incompetent doctor or a defective Band.. The Band can easily be adjusted to make it smaller or larger.

Why did they make him suffer when the adjustment can be done in the office?

by Anonymousreply 6510/18/2013

Having the sleeve done. Snip the stomach and you're outta there.

by Anonymousreply 6610/18/2013

R64, the band was installed too tight, so removing all the fluid made no difference. It's one of the most common complications of the surgery and happens with even competent doctors. When they quote a percentage of complications for surgery, it's always good to remember that real people make up that number, and it could be you.

He had it in for so long because they claimed that the band gets looser over time (which is why the band is adjustable), and he just needed to wait it out. Also, having nearly died during the first procedure, he was loath to go back under the knife again. However, once it was clear it wasn't getting any better and was just causing chronic pain and malnutrition, he had it done.

by Anonymousreply 6710/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!