Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What's Your Favorite Hummus?

At the moment I am liking the Sabra® brand with Roasted Pine Nuts, but for awhile there (last week) I was addicted to the Private Collection (high end Kroger® brand) Extra Garlic flavor.

Must have sea-salt pita chips to enjoy fully.

Is this shit good for me?

by Anonymousreply 7103/14/2015

Sabra's my favorite too, especially the supremely spicy flavor, but I think it has the most fat of all the leading brands. Shit, I sound like such a frau.

by Anonymousreply 110/09/2013

Hummus Abedin

by Anonymousreply 210/09/2013

I have been buying a hummus made from edamame.

by Anonymousreply 310/09/2013

OK, that was so lame.

I'm almost ashamed.

Forgive me, DL.

by Anonymousreply 410/09/2013

Is this really a thread?

by Anonymousreply 510/09/2013

Bite my crank, five.

by Anonymousreply 610/09/2013

The Israeli-made Sabra® is banned at all my local supermarkets.

by Anonymousreply 710/09/2013

I'm not a huge hummus eater, but I'll sometimes buy the three-variety container from Trader Joe's. I stopped eating hummus regularly because I found that it gave me massive digestive issues.

by Anonymousreply 810/09/2013

I make my own hummus. I grow the chick peas organically in my back garden. I am currently adding my home grown organically grown pumpkin to my home made hummus.

by Anonymousreply 910/09/2013

Hummus is surprisingly high in calories.

by Anonymousreply 1010/09/2013

Do we have a Sabra troll now? Sabra is ok but not spectacular. I like Trader Joe's better. And Fresh & Easy has a great spicy hummus too!

by Anonymousreply 1110/09/2013

My favourite is the hummus I make myself in about five minutes with a can of chick peas, some tahini, lemon juice, and lots of garlic. I don't blend olive oil in because it just adds extra fat without extra taste, but I do put a little bit of the good stuff on the top where it adds a nice flavour.

by Anonymousreply 1210/09/2013

The hummus they make at Carmel on 108th Street in Forest Hills.

by Anonymousreply 1310/09/2013

All commercial store bought hummus looks like cold cat vomit to me. The middle eastern restaurant where I live makes very good home made hummus.

by Anonymousreply 1410/09/2013

I like the hummus from Sahadi's on Atlantic Ave. in Brooklyn.

by Anonymousreply 1510/09/2013

I never understand why people are so impressed by "home-made hummus" It takes less than 10 minutes to make.

by Anonymousreply 1610/09/2013

I remember in 1991, I introduced my mother to hummus. She'd never had it before and I had only had it for the first time recently at college. No supermarkets outside my college town carried it.

Now it's everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 1710/09/2013

The freshly made hummus in restaurants always tastes so garlicky. Give me the over-processed crap in a variety of flavors any time.

by Anonymousreply 1810/09/2013

Is hummus a fade, or is it here to stay?

by Anonymousreply 1910/09/2013

I fly to Beirut and have the sous chef at Tawlet whip me up a batch. Then we have dirty, forbidden sex, and then I fly back. Private, never commercial.

by Anonymousreply 2010/09/2013

It's made in Israel, r7? Excellent. I must stock up.

by Anonymousreply 2110/09/2013

I like but Chick Peas give major GAS!!

by Anonymousreply 2210/09/2013

Where the fuck do you live, R7? Damascus?

by Anonymousreply 2310/09/2013

Yellow Lentil Hummus

by Anonymousreply 2410/09/2013

[quote]I never understand why people are so impressed by "home-made hummus" It takes less than 10 minutes to make.

I don't think home-made hummus is impressive, but I do wonder why people buy processed crap when hummus is so easy to make at home and tastes much better than the store-bought kind.

by Anonymousreply 2510/09/2013

Does hummus affect the taste of cum? Any flavors I should be on the lookout for?

by Anonymousreply 2610/09/2013

Sabra or Tribe are decent. Cedar's is ok and there's a brand I get at Sprouts that is probably the best, but I can't recall the name (maybe it's a house brand). Anything is better than that Athenos crap, though.

by Anonymousreply 2710/09/2013

R21 = Michael Lucas

by Anonymousreply 2810/09/2013

I like Sabra or Trader Joe's hummus with olives. So good as a sandwich spread.

by Anonymousreply 2910/09/2013

Who knows what "sabra" means in Hebrew?

by Anonymousreply 3010/09/2013

In the early years of the Israeli state, Sabra referred to native-born Israelis, but now it means someone whose parents were both born in Israel.

[quote]The term alludes to a tenacious, thorny desert plant, known in English as Prickly Pear, with a thick skin that conceals a sweet, softer interior. The cactus is compared to Israeli Jews, who are supposedly tough on the outside but delicate and sweet on the inside.

by Anonymousreply 3110/09/2013

Sabra is awful.

My favorite is Chef Earl's which is available at Whole Foods. The sundried tomato basil hummus is my absolute favorite.

by Anonymousreply 3210/12/2013

I always thought it was a black thing.

by Anonymousreply 3310/12/2013

Where ever did you get the idea that hummus is a black thing?

by Anonymousreply 3410/12/2013

This is the hummus recipe I swear by, and others always compliment it.

by Anonymousreply 3510/12/2013

I'm an Arab and have only ever had homemade hummus. Well except for when I'm in a restaurant and I have no idea if they make theirs from scratch.

I don't know how to compare it to store-bought but hummus made from scratch is delicious.

by Anonymousreply 3610/12/2013

Hummus and socks. All these years, and it's come to hummus and socks.

by Anonymousreply 3710/12/2013

Any commercial hummus I've tried has always been way too salty, and over-processed. I know it's not a great kitchen skill to make hummus, but homemade is best, IMO. Roasting, or sauteing, the garlic I use makes it more savory, and always fresh lemon juice, never any bottled stuff.I like it particularly lemon-y, so I include a bit of zest. Some black pepper, a pinch of cumin.This is a dish where your best olive oil can really shine, just float some on top after you put it into its dish. It keeps at least a week. If the hummus is too thick for your liking, whiz in some water, be careful not to turn it into baby food.

by Anonymousreply 3810/12/2013

We've been enjoying delicious homemade humus made from food-grade diatomaceous earth.

by Anonymousreply 3910/12/2013

I dust my homemade hummus with Bon Ami!

by Anonymousreply 4010/12/2013

Thank you Miss Crawford at R40

by Anonymousreply 4110/12/2013

Another vote for Sabra for the grocery store brands. It simply has the best flavor and consistency. Not surprised it has the most fat. Cedar's isn't as flavorful, and Trader Joe's is far too lemony-tart for my taste.

Love some Sabra roasted red pepper hummus on a whole wheat wrap with diced tomatoes and sea salt. Delish. Hummus is very good for you, high in iron and minerals, chick peas are a great source of protein and fiber. Add some garlic and/or lemon for further benefits.

by Anonymousreply 4210/12/2013

I've tried all the brands---Athenos is awful; Sabra has declined in quality and some of the flavors have a LOT of calories--and for me, Fountain of Health has the best texture and taste. I'm eating some now!

by Anonymousreply 4310/12/2013

I make my own. Hummus is ridiculously over priced. I have also developed a liking for baba ganoush, made with roasted eggplant. Mmmm.

by Anonymousreply 4410/12/2013

I like the smoothness of store bought hummus.

When I make my own, the food processor cannot duplicate the smooth consistency of store bought.

Sabra and Trader Joe are my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 4510/12/2013

I invented hummus.

by Anonymousreply 4610/12/2013

I LOVE Fresh and Easy's hummus. Especially the lemon Cilantro. Yum.

by Anonymousreply 4710/12/2013

Mediterranean Hummus from Trader Joe's is almost as good as homemade. I grew up on homemade and my dad also loves this brand.

by Anonymousreply 4810/12/2013

[quote]Private Collection (high end Kroger® brand)

Really? No one?

by Anonymousreply 4910/12/2013

If I can't do homemade hommous, Cedar's is the next best.

by Anonymousreply 5010/12/2013

I've tried all the commercial brands of Hummus and with everyone my tongue gets very sore. It gets these painful welts on it and I have to suck on ice for a while to get them to go down. What common ingredient is probably in all the brands that I must be allergic to in some way? Anyone know?

Oh yeah, one time I had it in a falafel place with those little falafel balls and the same thing happened. I don't know if they made it themselves or used some commercial one. It wasn't a fancy place, just one of those kosher pizza places that also sells falafel. After a couple of bites I had to leave it as my tongue was getting swollen from the welts developing.

I hear it's very healthy so I've tried but I guess it's not for me. Now I can eat canned chick peas with no problem so it's not the chick peas.

by Anonymousreply 5110/12/2013

You may have an allergy to sesame. Hummus has Tahini, which is a sesame paste.

If you make your own, you can omit Tanini. Trade Joe makes one that is Tanini free.

Try it and see if it makes a difference.

by Anonymousreply 5210/12/2013

R42, you have a nut allergy and are thus hated by DL! (Seeds, nuts, same thing.)

by Anonymousreply 5310/12/2013

R45, I've had good luck achieving a super smooth-textured hummus by first grinding the chick peas up a bit on their own in the food processor; then adding lemon juice, water and any spices (typically salt, garlic, cumin, cayenne) and mixing it all a bit longer; and then finally mixing the tahini with some olive oil and slowly drizzling this into the food processor while it's running... this helps to give the hummus a smooth, creamy texture. It's awesome!

by Anonymousreply 5410/12/2013

My city has banned all sale of products coming from Israel.

by Anonymousreply 5510/12/2013

I love hummus too much. Damn, it's so delicious.

It's a whole lot better for you than cake, donuts, chips, fries, but it is high calorie.

by Anonymousreply 5710/13/2013

I like to shoot a load in my hummus if I have to make it for a work function.....yummmm

by Anonymousreply 5810/13/2013

I usually make my own, but of all the commercially available brands, I love Trader Joe's Mediterranean hummus. It's a lighter fluffier hummus, and the balance of lemon and garlic to tahini is perfect.

One thing I hate is any flavored hummus, like chipotle or roasted red pepper. Also dislike tomatoes served with it, like on a sandwich

by Anonymousreply 5910/13/2013

Lesbians love making hummus. I'm surprised there isn't a lesbian-helmed hummus brand.

by Anonymousreply 6010/13/2013

Sabra's not my favorite, but Costco carries boxes of a dozen individually sized hummus cups, for something like $6.99.

They're the perfect size.

by Anonymousreply 6110/13/2013

Reason for boycott ....

Sabra is co-owned by the Strauss Group. The Strauss group provides financial support and supplies to the Golani and Givati brigades of the Israeli military, which have been found by the United Nations to be violators of human rights.

by Anonymousreply 6210/13/2013

That is a new level of stupidly, R62.

Just say you don’t want to buy products made by Jews instead of coming up with this crap.

I never eat Hummus much, but now I might try this Sabra brand.

by Anonymousreply 6310/13/2013

by Anonymousreply 6410/13/2013

Hummus looks like baby poop. Smells about the same, too.

by Anonymousreply 6510/13/2013

You trolled it twice and still - nobody asked, R62. There was a clue in there for you.

I like Sabra pine nut hummus. My town isn't dumb and precious enough to ban Israeli products.

by Anonymousreply 6610/13/2013

Thanks R52. Maybe it is that. It never occurred to me. Truthfully I didn't know what was in Tahini. I'll give the non Tahini one a try.

by Anonymousreply 6710/13/2013

Very easy and cheap to make your own, with or without tahini.

Whirl a can or 2 of chic peas in a blender. Add seasonings of choice, lemon, maybe cumin, olive oil, whirl to blend. Add tahini if desired.

Other beans make a great dip as well. Try white kidney beans Cannelloni (spelling) beans are delicious for this.

by Anonymousreply 6810/14/2013

I like their Supremely Spicy.

by Anonymousreply 6903/14/2015

I love the hummus at Zankou Chicken.

by Anonymousreply 7003/14/2015

You can substitute peanut butter for tahini unless, of course, you're allergic to that.

I like Joseph's Artichoke & Olive hommus and Tribe Forty Spices.

R65 has baby taste so of course she would think that.

by Anonymousreply 7103/14/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!