Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Austin is overrated

I've lived here for about a year now and I think it was a mistake to move. I expected this to be a transformative experience and that's my fault.

The traffic is awful and apt rents are high. The live music culture features mostly struggling bands, but hey it's live. "Live" music itself is overrated. ACL and SXSW festivals are painfully crowded and not worth the hype.

Don't move here.

by Anonymousreply 22302/24/2015

Austin is nice...for Texas. Oasis in the desert sort of thing. After having spent college + a few years there in the 90s, I would only move back if I absolutely had to move to Texas.

by Anonymousreply 310/08/2013

You are not making any sense, r2. Are you drunk?

by Anonymousreply 410/09/2013

It's Texas

End of thread.

by Anonymousreply 510/09/2013

R2 is presumably a result of the rural Texas educational system.

by Anonymousreply 610/09/2013

You are clearly an idiot if you moved her because you thought the rent would be low or the traffic would be good. The only thing this indicates is that you did not do your own homework. This says nothing about my city other than we have one more person to balance out our relatively high median IQ. ?Thanks for that--I guess?

by Anonymousreply 710/09/2013

He's waiting for everyone to freak out and be all, "Oh my God, do you mean shot with a gun??"

by Anonymousreply 910/09/2013

[quote]My ex, who was VERY gay when we were together, went to Austin to marry the girl he dated when he was 17. Yup, @ 38, married a SpEd teacher, whom he got shot. Good Mexican Gangsta boy, indeed.

As an edumacated person, I'll translate:

1. Gay moves back to Austin

2. Hooks up and marries high school girlfriend

3. She was a special ed teacher

4. His gangsta lifestyle caused her to be shot

5. She might be alive or dead, but Austin and Obama are to blame

by Anonymousreply 1010/09/2013

I'm with you, OP. Austinite for five years here, and I can't wait to get out of this city. Terrible traffic, shitty unkept roads, high rent, year round allergens, miserable summers. Everything unique or "weird" here is either slowly disappearing (like the Cathedral of Junk) or corporatizing (like the Alamo Drafthouse). A never ending barrage of festivals, parades, and marathons constantly clog up downtown, Town Lake, and/or Zilker.

by Anonymousreply 1110/09/2013

Austin used to be great.

Then all you fuckers moved here and ruined it all.

by Anonymousreply 1210/09/2013

Thank you for this, OP. Please tell us more.

What else? How are the costs of utilities, groceries in comparison? Are you saving significant money from cost of living compared to where you used to live? How is it to meet people? What could you warn people who think it's the land of opportunity?

I need to hear a balance in contrast to what I hear from my friend who moved there and has a pained "everything's great in Austin" when her husband still hasn't found a job there. She found a job in sales, commission only.

by Anonymousreply 1310/09/2013

Austin was getting clogged with cars when I left it in 1978 so I wonder what it is like now. I always thought Texas and Austin in particular was self promoted and really offered very little but bugs and heat. I did once enjoy Barton Springs but in the end the place is no better than any other sunbelt city.

by Anonymousreply 1410/09/2013

The heat and allergies and crowds make it impossible to enjoy the parks. I miss the lush greenery of the East coast.

by Anonymousreply 1510/09/2013

Does anyone remember Lars Eighner? We was a very heavy gay homeless guy who wrote a book called Travels With Lizbeth.

He lived in Austin and loved it. In fact he lived in the park being he could sleep spitting distance from the tea rooms.

by Anonymousreply 1610/09/2013

Lars is 64 now.

by Anonymousreply 1710/09/2013

Is Lars still in Austin?

by Anonymousreply 1810/09/2013

If you have to be in Texas, Austin is the only place to live.

by Anonymousreply 1910/09/2013

*ahem*

by Anonymousreply 2010/09/2013

Maybe Hot Springs Arkansas will be the next cool place.

by Anonymousreply 2110/09/2013

Hang around...I hear naked bongos is popular.

by Anonymousreply 2210/09/2013

Eureka Springs is the cool place for gays in Arkansas.

by Anonymousreply 2310/10/2013

Elijah Wood lives in Austin now...

by Anonymousreply 2410/10/2013

[quote]Austin was getting clogged with cars when I left it in 1978 so I wonder what it is like now.

You wouldn't even recognize it.

In the early 2000s, I visited a friend up north of Parmer, and "Mopac/Loop1/Burnet" was a 2-lane country road up there.

Now it's a six lane freeway with six lanes of frontage road, and it's STILL a parking lot.

They're adding another lane to MoPac/Loop1 between Parmer and downtown starting this year. And it'll still be a parking lot.

They added a huge massive interchange at I35 and 71, and it's still a nightmare.

The skyline has about ten new towers just since 2000.

Barton Springs is still there and is still nice, but good luck driving on the road that gets you there sometimes. They widened "Restaurant Row" there and put in left turn lanes, and it's still a mess.

The population has nearly tripled since you left, just FYI.

by Anonymousreply 2510/10/2013

All I can say is I hate the most delicious and BIG cock I've ever had while visiting Austin. I'm still not entirely sure how I can still walk.

by Anonymousreply 2610/10/2013

hate = had

That enormous cock must have damaged my brain, too

by Anonymousreply 2710/10/2013

Well, r26, that is one thing Austin has going for it - tons of willing fuck holes of all shapes and sizes. The locals are huge sluts and there are tons of visitors all the time, so pretty much a constant flow of cock.

by Anonymousreply 2810/10/2013

Where is Kirker when you need him?

by Anonymousreply 3010/10/2013

I live in Austin and haven't gotten laid here in years.

I go to New Orleans for that.

by Anonymousreply 3110/10/2013

Since I'm here, I might as well visit Kirker's thrift store. Where is it?

by Anonymousreply 3210/10/2013

It closed I thought.

by Anonymousreply 3310/10/2013

And don't let anyone tell you it's some big film scene either. Total bullshit. All free indie shit and mixers that add up to nothing.

Too bad, too, because there's a huge talent pool there. But no work.

by Anonymousreply 3410/10/2013

Call me stupid but who is Kirker?

by Anonymousreply 3510/10/2013

[R34] Well, things haven't changed much since I left in 1978. The best I could hope for was washing dishes in Clarksville.

by Anonymousreply 3610/10/2013

Supposedly Austin was a very cool medium sized city back in the 70's when Willie Nelson and the rest of outlaw country music was headquartered there. I lived there in the 80's when the traffic and growth were starting to get out of hand, but it was still a cool place to live. It's basically about doubled in size since then and is now a large city that still tries to pretend it's the cool smaller college town it used to be. The problem is you don't get the large city stuff you would get in Houston or the Metroplex like pro sports teams or many more choices in the arts and museums and restaurants. What you get in return is a far better live music scene and loads of outdoor activities. It's still a good place to live, but it's not the oasis it was 300-40 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 3710/10/2013

I love the term Metroplex. It sounds like a Fischer Price toy.

I was not impressed with Austin when I visited. It was like a bunch of people playing a part. 6th street was kind of like Bourbon street and everyone was drunk and acting like fools. I could see having fun there in my 20's and quickly getting bored.

by Anonymousreply 3810/10/2013

Austin was pretty cool in the seventies for us Texans who were arriving from the outback to attend school. Austinites continue to self promote the place and the truth is it was only cool for Texas. If you compared it to the West Coast it was pretty backwater. The Cosmic Cowboy scene was fun but very, very homophobic then. I was happy to move on in 1978.

by Anonymousreply 3910/10/2013

It's very stale....like the rest of Texas.

by Anonymousreply 4010/10/2013

R34 is spot on. The "film" scene there is total B.S; just a bunch of no name productions being made. I did alot of extra/background work when I lived there last year and you would see the same other extras on every single low budget project because that's all there is there.

by Anonymousreply 4110/10/2013

The people in Austin are mean, you can never get laid, the architecture is boring, traffic is bad, drinks are expensive, it's too damn hot, it's pretentious - wow, it's one of the worst places to live on earth and it's getting badder every day. It's the Lagos of America.

by Anonymousreply 4310/10/2013

It's a pitiful city. The people I know from there who boast about how great is usually a) have no jobs (but make up a web of lies about consulting and other things), and b) are freaking out because they have no job.

It WAS cool about ten years ago. Those who are having fun there, that's awesome. I'm sure I've just seen the boring, dull side of the city.

by Anonymousreply 4510/10/2013

Are you being hilarious, R45, or are you a shithead?

by Anonymousreply 4610/12/2013

The gay scene still looks like fun -

by Anonymousreply 4710/21/2013

Are there any more mean things to say about Austin?

by Anonymousreply 4910/26/2013

[quote]Are there any more mean things to say about Austin?

There's nothing meaner than calling it " the Lagos of America"

by Anonymousreply 5010/26/2013

The traffic...ugh.

by Anonymousreply 5110/26/2013

What's the gloryhole situation there now?

by Anonymousreply 5210/26/2013

There are lots of tops with HUGE thick cocks to be found there. That maker it worth it.

by Anonymousreply 5310/26/2013

r55

Austin is no where near Dallas. Austin is a small town, that got big and didn't plan accordingly.

Dallas is a large, very cosmopolitan city.

by Anonymousreply 5510/26/2013

Everyone keeps talking about the traffic. How bad is it?

by Anonymousreply 5610/26/2013

The University Tower was the site of the first American crazy serial killer of modern times. A beautifully blue eyed blonde ex-marine.

by Anonymousreply 5710/26/2013

I live in Austin now. Born in San Antonio. Austin is very pretentious and for all of its claims to being liberal the city is very segregated as to where minorities live and the attitude. It grew too big too fast and the city gave too many tax rebates to businesses when they needed money to upgrade the infrastructure. They need loops around the city without stoplights but at this point land is so expensive that it won't happen so everyone is left with I35 and MoPac which are pretty parallel to each other. The streets are older and narrow with pot holes so taking back streets to evade traffic is pretty useless.

It was listed by some entity a few months ago as being the most expensive city to live in (this was an item covered in the media in Austin)beating out San Francisco. But, it was looking at utilities and child care, etc. not home prices. The utilities and property taxes are high compared to other cities. If you are thinking about moving here and don't have a lot of money be careful about statistics released by the city. Housing prices include the city of Round Rock, as do a lot of statistics the city pushes to show it is an affordable place. People move here to find out a house built in the 1950's in an area unsafe to walk at night is over $350,000 because it is fairly close to downtown. If they can't afford that they have to move to the very uncool outskirts of Austin or to Round Rock or one of the other outlying cities and deal with the traffic headache. Austin is becoming like Seattle, Manhattan, and other cities where it is a great place to live it you can afford to live in the "cool" places.

by Anonymousreply 5810/26/2013

R59 has it exactly correct.

by Anonymousreply 5910/26/2013

Is Kirker still there?

by Anonymousreply 6110/26/2013

I have a feeling r62 IS kirker...

by Anonymousreply 6210/27/2013

I live in Colorado and it seems like the four people I know who are from there feel it's very important to remind you about it.

by Anonymousreply 6310/27/2013

r59, that's actually very disturbing. It seems that a lot of these hipster colonies eventually "go big or go home". I remember someone on here a while back described Portland, Oregon in the same way: as losing its charm, expanding too rapidly and hiding its segregated face from the world.

I know that Austin is pushing LRT as public transit, but is there any hope that they will expand like Dallas or even smaller US cities like Little Rock and Newark have?

by Anonymousreply 6410/27/2013

My onetime main hag who has become obsessed with her uninteresting job and her closeted gay husband who I can't believe she didn't see through dream of moving to Austin. They will probably love it.

by Anonymousreply 6510/27/2013

It's not really "overrated." It's not Houston or Dallas, and that was enough. Of course, San Antonio isn't Houston or Dallas either, and is only 50 miles from Austin, but the kind of people who are into Austin would find the Hispanic culture of San Antonio too alienating, so right there you have a limit on the "cool" factor. They are liberal for Texas, but they are not liberal. Even Molly Ivins was charmed by George W. Bush, unlike people in say, Minnesota.

The live music scene is impressive for people who have a horror of Nashville, or to people who flood Lollapalooza every year. But it is a community of impecunious artists without much economic foundation, and it won't last unless one of them comes up with something truly original, and that seems unlikely. There is no "music education" anywhere in Texas, so all the musicians at the place either come from away or are untrained children.

Gays are abundant, but it was clear even ten years ago that Austin had a "moment" when it was the gay mecca of Texas, probably when Houston and Dallas were suffering economic disaster in the late 80s, but that the parade had passed it by in more recent years, leaving a huge population of single guys who would now be in the 45-60 age range, but still hoping to hook up with a college twink.

Traffic is bad for Texas, but not bad by national standards and quite good by Florida, Georgia, and Carolina standards. Housing is expensive for Texas, but not at a coastal or even Chicago or Minneapolis level.

The area is quite attractive, and has plenty to see and do from Lake Travis to the bats to the French Legation, etc. Granted, it is not so attractive as the hill country towns, and for a tourist a big "meh" in comparison to San Antonio.

San Antonio is much cheaper, bigger, cooler, and more attractive. However, S.A. is also homophobic, military, and Hispanic. Given that Austin is like an "enclave" of 1980s and 1990s America in the foreign land of 2000s America, but since the past is not really another country, it has no frontier edginess but a lump in the throat melancholy that has a tendency to lay waste various self-reinvention schemes in a way that brutal conservative places like Houston would not.

by Anonymousreply 6610/27/2013

San Antonio seems even hotter than Austin is. I went there once and could hardly leave the hotel room due to the heat.

by Anonymousreply 6710/27/2013

I've been here about three years (CA transplant, sorry natives...moved here to help my elderly parents)and R59 is spot on. I bought in a 'burb about 20 miles from downtown both to be closer to my folks and the ole "drive to you qualify" adage.

Traffic is a nightmare and drivers are sadistic. I work near the airport and live near the toll road so don't have to deal with I35 and Mopac madness, but the few times I've had to use 35 I had memories of my countless hours sitting on the 405 in LA.

Getting in/out of downtown for any of the festivals just isn't worth the hassle. The weather is atrocious save for about five weeks in March/April. If my folks weren't here and didn't my support I would definitely leave. I didn't move here because of the hype, but if I had, I would be sorely disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 6810/27/2013

OVERrated? When was it ever rated, period?

by Anonymousreply 6910/27/2013

So is it not cool to wear a "Keep Austin Weird" tshirt any longer? It's become so yuppified.

by Anonymousreply 7010/27/2013

Austin isn't weird. It is living on its 1980 reputation. Just another suburban sunbelt city these days.

by Anonymousreply 7110/27/2013

I've never been to Austin but I always wanted to see it. Also San Antonio's River Walk. A friend bought a house outside of Austin in Round Rock. I was amazed at what he got for his money. Of course, I live in NY.

by Anonymousreply 7210/27/2013

Do any Dataloungers know about San Antonio's Folklife Festival?

Please reply if so.

by Anonymousreply 7310/27/2013

For you fed-up Austinites, where else in Texas could you recommend to move to that has a burgeoning arts scene other than the Marfa area?

by Anonymousreply 7410/27/2013

Parts of east TX. And they really, really need it. Longview/Tyler area.

by Anonymousreply 7510/27/2013

R76--was it Tyler or Vidor that had those racial problems several years back?

by Anonymousreply 7610/27/2013

Hey everybody!

by Anonymousreply 7710/27/2013

San Antonio is a dump. It's basically Mexico, with about 90% Hispanic population. You can see the Alamo and the River Walk in a couple of hours, and then you never want to go back. San Antonio resident Vicki Carr can be seen strolling along the River Walk at night selling pralines to tourists. One time she was posing for photos with a group of tourists and she fell in the water.

by Anonymousreply 7810/27/2013

The Big Bend area of Texas is starting to move into the hip direction. It has an arts scene going on.

by Anonymousreply 7910/27/2013

And you are a racist ass, R79.

by Anonymousreply 8010/27/2013

Is the Iron Works Bar-B-Q still around? Used to be wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 8110/27/2013

Big Bend is way too out in the boonies. East TX is hick but the Longview Tyler area keeps it afloat. Start there

by Anonymousreply 8210/27/2013

Bodacious BBQ is the BEST bbq in Texas and the world.

by Anonymousreply 8310/27/2013

Downtown Tyler looks pretty built up for a small town. Austin must have been like this in the early 60's.

by Anonymousreply 8410/27/2013

Tyler, Texas is where Sandy Duncan is from.

by Anonymousreply 8510/29/2013

Tyler is homophobic and filled with pollen. Nobody should move there who has asthma or allergies.

by Anonymousreply 8610/29/2013

It is, however, just an hour's drive from Dallas.

by Anonymousreply 8710/29/2013

And that's why G.W. Bush couldn't call the FBI until the time that he did.

by Anonymousreply 8810/29/2013

R88 And who would want to be close to Dallas?

by Anonymousreply 8910/29/2013

I mean G.H.W. Bush

by Anonymousreply 9010/29/2013

Tyler is heavy-duty Republican. It's where Louis Gohmert is from. You won't find a single Democrat until you reach the Dallas city limits.

All of East Texas is racist, homophobic and evangelical.

by Anonymousreply 9110/29/2013

Austin has it's problems and i do think it's days as a cool, hip place to be are waning but it's still awesome by Texas standards. I personally live about 45 minutes away so maybe if i had to sit in traffic everyday i'd think it was a hell hole but i can visit and don't have to stay.

Just a reminder Travis county was the only county in Texas to vote against a state constitutional amendment banning gay marriage back in 2005. I believe Los Angeles county voted for prop 8, just a little perspective for ya.

by Anonymousreply 9210/29/2013

No it didn't, but to the extent LA county is conservative, it contains Simi Valley. Texas counties are very small, meaning all the subrban counties surrounding Austin voted against gays.

by Anonymousreply 9310/29/2013

Austin is only about 3-3.5 hours away from Dallas, and 3.5-4 hours away from Houston. Totally drivable, even as a day trip (I've gone to both places and spent the night and driven back the next day).

by Anonymousreply 9410/29/2013

And who wants to be in driving distance of either Houston or Dallas?

by Anonymousreply 9510/29/2013

Janet Jackson doesn't like Austin either. They didn't support her Rhythm Nation. Assholes.

by Anonymousreply 9710/29/2013

I escaped from East Texas 20 years ago but still have to go back from time-to-time to visit my mom. No one should EVER move there. It's full of Texas secessionists and fundies galore. And I'm talking about Tyler/Longview, specifically. Run away!

by Anonymousreply 9810/29/2013

Well like it or not guys there are a LOT of gays in east TX and they need support too. And most of them are really cool people.

by Anonymousreply 9910/29/2013

If we want to support our gay brothers and sisters in East Texas we need to send them moving vans.

by Anonymousreply 10010/29/2013

Land area Travis County is 990 square miles. Home to 20 cities, towns, and villages. Home to 1 million people.

Land area Los Angeles County 4,061 square miles. LA County home to 88 incorporated cities, 87 of which are not Los Angeles. Home to 10 million people.

by Anonymousreply 10110/29/2013

Can we say some more bad things about Austin?

by Anonymousreply 10211/03/2013

Austin, like ALL of Texas, has utterly shitty pizza.

by Anonymousreply 10311/03/2013

My hair always gets frizzy in Austin due to the humidity.

by Anonymousreply 10411/03/2013

It's rarely humid in Austin.

Now HOUSTON is another matter entirely...

by Anonymousreply 10511/04/2013

Does it really do anyone any good to discuss the merits or lack thereof of the various cities in TEXAS?? All a person has to do these days is pick up any newspaper at all and there's overwhelming evidence that the mean and stupid have Texas in their grip.

Texas is quite possibly one of the last states I would ever choose to live in.

by Anonymousreply 10611/04/2013

R107, a lot of people have that opinion, but I can only imagine it's because of their utter lack of imagination. Your realize that every major city in Texas but two voted for Obama, right? (Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, El Paso ... the two that didn't were Ft Worth and Amarillo)

And you apparently forget about hell-holes like Oklahoma, Alabama, Mississippi, and even Kansas? ALL of whom are worse politically, more racist, more anti-science, and more backwards than Texas.

It's quite possible that in the next 20 years, even the next 10, Texas could vote Blue and become a Blue state.

That it's in the grip of right-wing ideologues doesn't speak to the people in general, to be honest.

by Anonymousreply 10711/04/2013

All you need to know about Texas including Austin (from which I fled a year ago): moved away and a few months later, my elderly parents called me, freaked out that a collection agency was calling them looking for me. I told them I'd take care of it, called the number...

And found it was regarding a toll signal I had driven past in my travel away (they don't have traditional booths with people, that would be too easy). The amount they were calling to collect: .93 As is NINETY-THREE CENTS.

Which they had passed over to some collections department in Arizona. I promptly told them to suck my dick and swore off ever returning to TX again. So the next time Rick Perry tells you that state is the model...

by Anonymousreply 10811/04/2013

Too much foreskin. Rednecks and latinos don't get cut so it is smegma city.

by Anonymousreply 10911/04/2013

LOVE big white Texan uncut cock. Yum.

by Anonymousreply 11011/04/2013

R110 is both wrong and delusional.

by Anonymousreply 11111/04/2013

[quote]Gays are abundant, but it was clear even ten years ago that Austin had a "moment" when it was the gay mecca of Texas, probably when Houston and Dallas were suffering economic disaster in the late 80s, but that the parade had passed it by in more recent years, leaving a huge population of single guys who would now be in the 45-60 age range, but still hoping to hook up with a college twink.

Unlike much of what is posted on this site about Texas, this is 100% accurate. All the Houston gays wanted to move to Austin in the late 80s; those that actually went are now stuck there getting older, while the twinks stay the same age.

by Anonymousreply 11211/04/2013

Yeah. I think I moved here on the tail end of Austin's gay mecca status.

It really was amazing for a few years.

It's boring as shit now. And being a single pushing 50, it's nearly impossible to date. Let alone find someone. Everyone is either already partnered, or not looking for one, or is chasing college boys.

by Anonymousreply 11311/04/2013

[R67] Austin is like an "enclave" of 1980s and 1990s America in the foreign land of 2000s America, but since the past is not really another country, it has no frontier edginess but a lump in the throat melancholy.

This. This is why I think many, especially conservative Southern Californians, move to Austin. They want the Americana of yore, white, middle-class and homogenous. Traffic is not as bad as many other urban areas. A half-mil house in Austin will get you a lot more than a half-mil or million dollar house in SF, LA, Chicago or NY. Public schools are newer and better funded. That's what attracts many people. What I dislike is that the boast of jobs is over-rated. Yes, people in their 20s might be able to jump on the tech jobs moving to Austin, but over 40s won't have as many choices. I know two men in their early 5os from L.A. who are "consultants" basically living on retirement too early because they couldn't get production or marketing jobs in their former fields. Bleh.

by Anonymousreply 11411/04/2013

R115, Austin isn't white or homogeneous, and the traffic is freakin' awful compared to most of the US.

It's hard to find even crap houses for under half-mill anywhere near downtown any more (and any condos downtown seem to start at a quarter mill for a tiny one bedroom loft and go up from there).

And there's enough high tech here, as well as arts and music, for this place to be nothing like a 90s time capsule.

I have no idea where you're getting most of this stuff you're asserting.

by Anonymousreply 11511/04/2013

R115; the only area of Austin that is white is the area around UT and the outlying burbs north of Austin and West of Mopac. Anything south of 6th street is all blacks and hispanics.

by Anonymousreply 11611/04/2013

R116's favorite movie is "Nadine."

by Anonymousreply 11711/04/2013

R118, I've never even heard of the movie "Nadine".

by Anonymousreply 11811/04/2013

Austin is bisected by I35. Left of it is white and relatively affluent, right of it is nasty and poor, like some sort of barrio.

What Austin has going for it is a decent economy, parks and Town Lake (AKA Lady Bird Lake). But it has been overrun by hipsters and trustafarians.

by Anonymousreply 11911/05/2013

R120's information is woefully out of date.

by Anonymousreply 12011/05/2013

Not everything south of 6th and east of I-35 is black and hispanic [R115]. Travis Heights and Onion Creek CC are exceptions to that claim. Obviously your travels about town are within a very tight radius.

by Anonymousreply 12111/05/2013

Is the guy in R48 gay?

by Anonymousreply 12211/05/2013

How are those bars on your windows, R121?

Fucking peasant.

by Anonymousreply 12311/05/2013

R124? Hon? Take your head out of your ass. Downtown Austin east of I35 is being renovated ("gentrified"), and is a vibrant arts and bar and restaurant are now.

I'd wager I make more than you do. I live in a neighborhood in North Austin. Nice houses, safe quiet streets, and it's VERY diverse here. Not just latinos and blacks and whites, but Asians and people from India and more.

Take your ignorant racist/classist crap elsewhere, asswipe.

by Anonymousreply 12411/05/2013

Didn't a lot of musicians move there after the 1994 earthquake in LA and drive prices up?

by Anonymousreply 12511/05/2013

"Don't move here."

Don't worry.

by Anonymousreply 12611/05/2013

I went to Austin for two weeks for a contract job.

When I got back to Phoenix, I was relieved and thankful.

WAY over-rated.

by Anonymousreply 12711/05/2013

Oh yeah, I'd love to move there and pay $425,000 for a slum dwelling like this.

by Anonymousreply 12811/05/2013

Nobody would pay that much for that house. It's high priced because it's so close to downtown in a revitalizing area, but look at the real price under the $425k number... it's more like $200k.

by Anonymousreply 12911/05/2013

Where are the gloryholes?

by Anonymousreply 13011/06/2013

I used to get a lot of dick at Dobie Hall back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 13111/06/2013

[quote] but look at the real price under the $425k number... it's more like $200k

Where does it as that the real price is @ $200k?

by Anonymousreply 13211/06/2013

Are you blind or retarded?

by Anonymousreply 13311/07/2013

It's Sunday and therefore time to trash Austin some more.

by Anonymousreply 13411/10/2013

I didn't much care for Austin on my one visit there either.

by Anonymousreply 13511/10/2013

I considered moving there around 2000, and I spent almost a month there trying to decide.

Pompous, puffed-up people, "liberal for Texas," and very, very proud to be Texans -- and the blacks and the whites get along well, because both groups hate the Mexicans.

Another over-hyped hick town with delusions of grandeur.

by Anonymousreply 13611/10/2013

I'm gathering that since we're 136 in we've decided not to tell foreigners about Denton. Good. They can stay away.

by Anonymousreply 13711/10/2013

[quote]I go down there from Dallas a couple times a year to visit friends and am always glad to leave. It's a beating.

THIS explains a lot...

Traffic is unbearable? As compared to WHERE? NYC? Atlanta? Boston? DC? San Fran? There is no comparison.

Rent is EXTREMELY high? You know it is a top ten sized city now right? You can easily find very very decent, safe housing for under 900 as a single person under 600 if w roommate. Renting a big house 2 miles from downtown however may be different.

[quote]Unlike Dallas and Houston, nobody cared what kind of clothes you wore, or what kind of car you drove. That all changed around 2000, when the Californians moved in. Now you have to live in a multi-million dollar mansion and drive a $70,000 car or you're a nobody.

*eyes rolling onto the floor and down Riverside Dr.

I think the problem here is that people here who are posting are trying to be part of the gay "social scene". That is NOT why Austin is still pretty cool- it's cool because there are lots of social scenes where nobody gives a fuck about what car you drive or how much you make. Also a lot of cute geeks there so you don't even have to be a sharp dresser. If you are into bears and men with thick legs Austin is pretty amazing. Half of the people I know there bike around when they can. Then again I like hot weather and hot hairy latin men... Also I like hanging out with heteros typically more than groups of insecure image-obsessed gays. Sure there are "scene-y" hang out places like Rainy St etc. I just think some gays just like uncomfortable polluted sceney places where they can pack a martini bar full of bottoms like sardines and drink sour apples. No thanks, lip-gloss n Prada queens.

by Anonymousreply 13811/10/2013

[quote]I went to Austin for two weeks for a contract job. When I got back to Phoenix, I was relieved and thankful.

*eyes still rolling down Riverside btw the pedestrian walk and bike lane...*

by Anonymousreply 13911/10/2013

I never really understood what it was that Texans are so proud of. In the end their state is as interesting as Ohio and you never hear folks from Ohio going on and on about how wonderful they are. Why do Texans think they are so uniquely special?

by Anonymousreply 14011/10/2013

R129 That's on the East side. It's listed for that much because it's in an area that the hipsters think that they're "gentrifying." Meanwhile, it's still the East side and near Chicon, a known area for prostitutes and half-way houses.

by Anonymousreply 14111/10/2013

R141 I've never understood it either. Other than the fact it's the biggest state, what's left to brag about? There really isn't that much scenery, there really isn't much historical architecture, most of the people have nasty attitudes, and it's notoriously conservative and homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 14211/10/2013

And Texans are real tubby too. That has got to be the fattest state.

by Anonymousreply 14311/17/2013

R144, Austin is one of the most fit cities in the country.

by Anonymousreply 14411/17/2013

It's Sunday and no one trashed Austin.

by Anonymousreply 14511/18/2013

Speaking of Austin, someone from Austin named Kirker is bitching up the Gawker site right now.

One of the founders of Ace Hotels died unexpectedly and Kirker is attempting to make it all about himself. You see, he was into the whole Ace Hotel thing BEFORE it was cool. He's so sad to hear about this co-founders death because, omg you guys, HE totally stayed in the NYC Ace Hotel BEFORE it became "tragically hip."

by Anonymousreply 14611/18/2013

Well, someone needs to tell us newcomers who Kirker is.

by Anonymousreply 14711/18/2013

Kirker or Kiki as he's known by his friends is an anitique store owner in Austin and DL regular and Austin bon vivant.

by Anonymousreply 14811/18/2013

Austin has bon vivants?

by Anonymousreply 14911/18/2013

Did anyone here attend the F1 race in Austin this weekend?

by Anonymousreply 15011/18/2013

He who shall not be named.

by Anonymousreply 15111/19/2013

It's Sunday and time to trash Austin and Texas again. I never get tired of this for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 15211/24/2013

Clearly, this thread needs more balance, so...

1. I've lived in both Austin and L.A., and Austin isn't even in the same UNIVERSE as L.A. when it comes to traffic. Ditto NYC, D.C., or even Houston and Dallas. Austin traffic is terrible at rush hour, about two hours or so each morning and evening, and during its ever-increasing number of "event weekends" (COTA, SXSW, ACL, any UT home game, etc.).

2. Housing-wise, Austin is pricey and getting more so by the week, but again: not even remotely in the same league as NYC, D.C., L.A. or SF. One of my friends recently moved there from Manhattan, and after paying nearly $2K a month for a shitty walk-up studio, she was flat-out shocked to find a cute, renovated 2BR duplex for $1,100/month in Central Austin. Still, if you want to buy a place, expect to pay $400K-$500K for a renovated 2BR bungalow near downtown.

3. R120's info is about a decade out of date. "Old" East Austin, the area immediately east of I-35 and downtown, is being gentrified beyond recognition. Housing prices are rapidly escalating, though it's still cheaper than west of the interstate, and the Hispanic and black communities that lived there are being forced out, as is pretty much always the case with gentrification. All of the old Tejano bars are being converted into "hipster" dive bars, and the drug dealers and hookers in "crack ho" central along E. 11th and E. 12th has been forced out. Granted, you can still find seedy parts in the area, particularly around its numerous housing projects, but for the most part blacks and Hispanics have relocated to Northeast and Southeast Austin. But yes, Austin is definitely segregated, although it's mostly *intentional* self-segregation, and the city is nowhere near as segregated as the two supposed liberal meccas of Los Angeles and NYC (the second-most segregated city in the U.S., behind Milwaukee).

4. North Austin, the area R25 describes, has grown the most in the past decade. A freeway that used to dead-end just past Central Austin (MoPac) has now been extended 15 miles out to the suburbs in Round Rock, where Dell is headquartered, and about half of it is a toll road. To me it looks almost indistinguishable from the nicer parts of Orange County: all chain stores, "luxury" apartments and overpriced tract houses. OTOH it's only a "parking lot" during Austin's comparatively short rush hour, and again, not even in the same league as SoCal traffic.

5. I'm not sure who on here is complaining about jobs, but Austin's unemployment rate is at 5% and among the lowest of any medium-sized city in the country. If you can't find a job there, you seriously aren't trying hard enough.

6. No, you should not move to Austin expecting to work in the movie business. Texas refuses to offer production companies the same types of tax incentives available in neighboring New Mexico and Louisiana, not to mention Georgia or North Carolina, and as such loses a lot of business. Even films set there (e.g. "No Country for Old Men" and the more recent "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" movies) are predominantly shot in New Mexico and Louisiana.

by Anonymousreply 15311/24/2013

My boyfriend has gotten a job offer in Austin and wants me to come along. Should I do it?

by Anonymousreply 15403/29/2014

Reading Molly Ivins autobio, it sounded like the air went out of Austin in the 80s. Like a lot of sunbelt sprawlburgs, it managed to keep the rep going long after it was deserved. In fairness, there are some very nice restaurants, Hill Country is interesting (although given the previous Ohio analogy, I'd say it's a hotter version of many part of Ohio), and some local color remains but I couldn't imagine moving there.

I used to go there once or twice a year for work and it seemed like a somewhat more colorful version of typical state capitals--places like Hartford, Columbus, Indianapolis--boring places that often outferformed nearby cities because of their white color employment but still pretty dull stuff.

I remember going to the original Whole Foods (this was before I had one locally) and being unimpressed. Now we're all stuck with their overpriced, overrated crap.

by Anonymousreply 15503/29/2014

R154 has clearly never been to Austin.

by Anonymousreply 15603/29/2014

I keep reading that San Antonio is going through a revival & people are moving there. There's a food scene amongst other things.

by Anonymousreply 15703/29/2014

The skyline is coming along.

by Anonymousreply 15805/20/2014

Austin's crime is that it is located in that redneck state. It can never be nice.

by Anonymousreply 15905/20/2014

Texas sucks. As a matter of fact the entire mid-west U.S. sucks. I have never been there and never will go there. It nothing but a bunch of Rethug assholes. The north won the war for a reason honey.

by Anonymousreply 16005/21/2014

Actually the pool of datable men over 50 is its most attractive feature. These were guys who lived in the gayborhoods of Houston and Dallas, did a stint in Cali or NY or N.O., and who were downsized during normal homophobic corporate downsizings in the 80s and 90s and got their second wind...at a more precarious employment level... in Austin. The bad part is that the economy is not as robust as you may have been told. Texas, unlike Ohio and Indiana or even Iowa, is not a generous employer nor likely to become one. The Austin live music scene is a habitual over-employer (the money is still in recording and still goes to Nashville). The Austin high tech scene is not what it was and relies mainly on military contracts, which are also not what they were. But for all that, it still is middle America in a way which is gone most places. And a good place for older gays, if they have low expectations of employment or retirement.

by Anonymousreply 16105/21/2014

Austin was great in the '70s. My dad was transferred there (well, close enough to Austin, Round Rock) in '77 and we were there until right after I graduated H.S. (1980). I left for college out of state in '80 and my parents moved back to Colorado in early 1981. I haven't been there since. I have always wanted to go back (for nostalgia's sake) but just haven't. I'll bet it has changed so much since then. Someday I'll trek my swingin' dick back there for a visit.

by Anonymousreply 16205/21/2014

R158 you couldn't pay me enough to live in San Antonio. There's no diversity at all. Nothing but Mexicans.

I left Austin after 12 years. My sister still lives there and I won't even go to visit. The traffic is ignorant. Everyone who lives there thinks that they're so special for living there--but it's still Texas.

And like most of TX the reason for the low unemployment rate is because of the abundance of call center and low income retail jobs there. Sure, you can get work but it's shit work. Unless you're one of the wanna be hipster trust fund babies who you see laid out on the ground sunning in the middle of the day at town lake.

by Anonymousreply 16305/21/2014

The traffic getting worse and worse. If you are a hipster living in the center of town this won't matter to you. The sidewalks are crawling with people South Congress and downtown - some people like this - I hardly ever go there anymore. Hiking trails are overrun, too many dogs and people on Red Bud Isle. It has changed a lot - I have been here for 22 years. Housing prices are skyrocketing again - up 20% in the last couple of months. It's still cheaper than SF or NYC. I still like it here but over-development is ruining it all fast. If you are new and never knew what Austin used to be like you won't know the difference.

by Anonymousreply 16405/21/2014

Tipping point was around the time of the switch to the new airport. I've been a regular visitor for 20 years and the Slacker/Dazed & Confused vibe has drowned in the traffic.

by Anonymousreply 16505/21/2014

They think they are hip and cool, but they all sound like Jeff Bridges in "Nadine"

by Anonymousreply 16605/21/2014

I lived in Austin from 1988 - 1992, and have made yearly treks back there to visit. It is really amazing how much it has grown and changed. When I was there, downtown had some activity at night, particularly around sixth street and around the gay bars, and South Congress at night was dead - nothing going on. Three weeks ago I was there and downtown was bustling all over and South Congress was lined with restaurants and shops and food trailers and there was NO parking spaces anywhere - crowds of people everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 16705/21/2014

It was a festival. It is still quiet most nights.

by Anonymousreply 16805/21/2014

I've lived in a few different cities in the U.S., and decided to check out Austin because I heard nothing but good things. Still trying to figure out what the big deal is. I guess if I was 20 I would care about the downtown club and music scene. For the size of city, housing seems slightly higher than some places. Traffic blows. The suburbs are nothing but typical corporate sprawl. What's the big deal again?

by Anonymousreply 16902/09/2015

Austin was an amazing place to live in the 80s, but the authentic funky, hippie vibe is long gone. The city still tries to promote its "Keep Austin Weird" image but it just rings hollow now.

Too many Californians moved there during the tech boom and ruined the place. Real estate prices have gone through the roof. You can't buy anything nice there anymore for less than $600k unless you want to live in a suburb.

by Anonymousreply 17002/09/2015

It's full of people who moved from California and who seem to be Republicans. They are not wanted.

by Anonymousreply 17102/09/2015

Umpy moved to Austin?

by Anonymousreply 17202/09/2015

[R163] You are ignorant! San Antonio is way more diversified than Austin. Obviously you know nothing about south Texas and San Antonio. If San Antonio is nothing but Mexicans then Austin is nothing but Blacks. Now, take your pick.

by Anonymousreply 17302/09/2015

Austin is experiencing severe growing pains. Its population has exploded over the last 30 years, and it hasn't been able to keep up. That's why you have the worst traffic jams in Texas and overpriced housing. The good news is Texas is headed for a major oil bust, which will Austin to catch up during the slowdown.

by Anonymousreply 17402/09/2015

The skyline has completely blown up since I lived there in the 80's.

by Anonymousreply 17502/09/2015

Why won't anyone address the glory hole situation there?

by Anonymousreply 17602/09/2015

I'm going to visit there this year. I have a hot lawyer friend there who wants to fuck me. We started chatting on a gay meeting/dating site and have since had fun on skype. He loves to say "everything's bigger in Texas".

Also, HOT bodybuilder and fitness expert/personal trainer Jonny Catanzano lives there.

by Anonymousreply 17702/09/2015

r12 has it right. but assholes ruin every good place.

by Anonymousreply 17802/09/2015

DO NOT MOVE TO TEXAS.

by Anonymousreply 17902/09/2015

Is there a glory hole situation there … anymore?

by Anonymousreply 18002/09/2015

I lived in Austin between 88 and 97. It was very gay and cheap to live there. From the Cinema West on Congress to at least 3 dirty bookstores there was plenty of dick sucking to go around. I lived on Townlake circle in some furnished apartments. I'm glad I was young and was able to not care that I didn't live in the best part of town. It was close to downtown and the bars. I loved Taco Cabana and Whataburger at 3am after hitting the bars and bookstores. Is Townlake Circle still seedy? I left when things just started getting expensive.

by Anonymousreply 18102/09/2015

Yep Always suspected it would be a disappointment

by Anonymousreply 18202/09/2015

Get ready for the upcoming Terrence Malick movie about the Austin music scene with Christian Bale. New insights or nail in coffin? We shall see

by Anonymousreply 18302/09/2015

"Get ready for the Malick.."? Hell, it took him 3 years to finally finish Knight of Cups which has been shown in Berlin to ecstatic/totally crappy reviews. The Austin movie won't be out for years.

Malick lives in Austin, in Westlake, same neighborhood as McBongo.

by Anonymousreply 18402/09/2015

Stupid fag, R173. San Antonio's Hispanic population (read: Mexican) exceeds 60%. Austin's black population is 8%. Talk out of your ass some more, idiot. And I still pick Austin.

by Anonymousreply 18502/09/2015

The Austin population of people from India, Bangladesh, etc. is enormous now. What is annoying is that it hasn't resulted in decent Indian restaurants. But every time you go to a Mexican restaurant, it's full of Indians. They love Chuy's. Weird.

I took the Austin-Heathrow British Airways flight twice and I was literally the only person on those flight who wasn't an Indian.

by Anonymousreply 18602/09/2015

The glory holes at Dobie Mall were really hopping in 1978.

by Anonymousreply 18702/09/2015

It's no Tulsa, Oklahoma. And unlike Austin, Tulsa schools don't have Mexican names.

by Anonymousreply 18802/09/2015

My "data" comes from the US Census, cunt. From where does yours originate? Your ass, I'm guessing.

by Anonymousreply 19002/10/2015

Looks like Brandi and Kyle are getting into again at R189 and R190!

by Anonymousreply 19102/10/2015

I lived in Austin in the mid-80s; it was awesome.

Due to the tanked Texas economy, rents were a third of the cost than they were just five years earlier, so you had more "discretionary income" if you had a stable job in technology.

I bicycled to work on the roads parallel to I-35.

I miss Chuy's; My partner and I went there every Friday night, when N. Lamar and our Rundberg address were on the fringe of town.

I ran the paths on both sides of the river twice a week Downtown, crossing the purely pedestrian bridge.

We went to Hippie Hollow, a park on Travis Lake which was clothing optional, and laid on rafts on the weekend, buck naked and drinking beer. Once a fraternity chapter (with very good looking naked men) at UT has a party out there and painted their letters on their bare asses. An older man, also naked and apparently a member of the fraternity, lectured them on the impropriety of the letters on their asses; nothing at all about their fuzzy dicks. That was my favorite memory of Austin.

by Anonymousreply 19202/10/2015

After their dates, I used to rim those frat boys until they came all over their faces. Good times.

by Anonymousreply 19302/10/2015

Didn't one of the recent threads say Sandra B was lookng to move back there. So wondering how bad can it be?

by Anonymousreply 19402/10/2015

Texas is a shithole. I have never been there and I will NEVER EVER step foot into that barren desert wasteland full of racism and right-wing fundamentalist wackos and illegal aliens. Once I was on a flight to L.A. and the weather turned bad. There was talk we were going to divert to Dallas. I was never so scared in my life. I prayed for the first time in my life.

Thankfully, we got out of the bad weather and continued on our way. It was close tho. I was about to have a heart attack. I would rather die than step foot in that backwoods, racist hell hole. Fuck Texas.

by Anonymousreply 19502/10/2015

I grew up in Austin. It was great until all the California escapees settled there in the late '90s/early '00s. They ruined it. Surprisingly, they are all a bunch of Conservatives. It was a sleepy Liberal town until those loons came along. I had always heard that California was Liberal... not the ones that took over Austin.

I left Austin in 2007.

by Anonymousreply 19602/10/2015

Who are all the people bitching about the Hispanics in Austin and San Antonio? I am White and I have lived in this part of Texas all my life. We all get along great down here. I have many Mexican friends and family members.

One of my brothers is married to a Mexican woman. She is amazing. I have some awesome (and beautiful nephews and nieces). My youngest sister is married to a Mexican man. He is a great provider and they also have amazing and beautiful kids.

I am 48 years old and I have never seen any racial problems between Anglos and Mexicans. We are all family down here. If you are bitching about the racial make-up, you are obviously not from here.

by Anonymousreply 19702/10/2015

R197, I meant to say "One of my brothers is married to a Mexican woman. She is amazing. I have some awesome and beautiful nephews and nieces." I don't know where the parentheses came from.

by Anonymousreply 19802/10/2015

I lived in Texas for two years after Hurricane Katrina. We were moved to Houston from New Orleans. Texas is horrible, racist, and a worse place than I imagine Hell as being. The Latin people are even more racist than the whites and the whites are horrible.

The food is terrible and the people are not only mean but ugly. Ugliest people I ever saw. Rednecks and illegals everywhere. I could not get away from Texas fast enough. It's worse than you can ever imagine.

by Anonymousreply 19902/10/2015

Even us folks in Houston know to avoid driving through Austin. That's how bad the traffic rep is.

by Anonymousreply 20002/10/2015

R199 I suspect it had to do with Houston being sick of all the trashy people from NOLA coming in and bringing more crime. The stories I heard from volunteers at the Dome were awful. Mothers leaving dirty diapers all over the place, too lazy to even walk them to a trash can, etc. I lived in an apt. complex then that allowed some Katrina refugees in. Let's just say we all of a sudden had a lot of police showing up due to the crime rate shooting up and a lot of drugs being bought and sold. I moved out fast.

by Anonymousreply 20102/10/2015

Austin is still a great city. The only problem is that the city grew too fast and the city planners had no time to create an efficient highway system. Houston and San Antonio have great highways. San Antonio has Loop 410 and Loop 1604, which greatly benefit traffic control.

Austin is not for everyone. The negatives are the clogged highways, the insanely hot weather, and the disgusting humidity. The positives are too many to mention. I still love it.

by Anonymousreply 20202/10/2015

Seattle is so much better. I lived in both. Austin is great, Seattle is heaven.

by Anonymousreply 20302/10/2015

R201, Yeah, I'm from Houston too. We got the worst of the worst from NOLA. The dregs of New Orleans were transplanted to Houston and it was a nightmare. Some were good people but the bad far outweighed the good. Murderers, convicts, violent offenders, rapists, drug dealers, prostitutes, thieves, etc. The crime rate sky-rocketed overnight. It was awful.

by Anonymousreply 20402/10/2015

R204 do you also remember the outrage of the receiving $2,000 debit cards and then hitting up the Galleria for designer handbags and other high end items instead of using them for food and basic living expenses?

There were a lot of PISSED off people.

by Anonymousreply 20502/10/2015

Austin was at its peak when the Boathouse gay bar was open. The 10-cent drink nights on Friday were legendary. And you had Hall's dance club across the street full of gay, bisexual and straight-curious college studs. The charming 505 Club was still at its original location with its backyard patio.

Oh, how I wish I could return to those glorious days....

by Anonymousreply 20602/10/2015

I just left Portland, and was impressed. What a quaint little city.

by Anonymousreply 20702/10/2015

It's 78 degrees in Austin today. Sunny with a light breeze.

Suck it, New England.

by Anonymousreply 20802/10/2015

We consider it to be a southern version of Altoona.

by Anonymousreply 20902/10/2015

R207, Portland is the PacNW version of Austin. Used to be great, now everything is expensive and gentrified.

Californians.

by Anonymousreply 21002/10/2015

R208 in a month it'll be 120 degrees and you can't go outside until 8pm.

I hated Austin. Couldn't wait to leave. Too damn crowded, it's no longer "weird" and the asshole hipsters have driven rents through the roof.

by Anonymousreply 21102/10/2015

Jesus r212 is stupid

by Anonymousreply 21302/11/2015

Those UT boys shoot real hard and real far.

by Anonymousreply 21402/11/2015

[213] I guarantee that I'm smarter than you'll ever be, you dumdass!

by Anonymousreply 21502/11/2015

UT frat boys -

by Anonymousreply 21602/14/2015

R216 Wow, that guy in the middle in the purple shirt is mucho fuckable. The other clones, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 21702/14/2015

Sounds like Houston has a bunch of urban legend believing racists who would be right at home with Barbara Bush.

by Anonymousreply 21802/14/2015

R218 right? People born in the USA are not fucking "refugees". As if that shithole Houston was some sort of utopia before Katrina!

Ignorant racist queens.

by Anonymousreply 21902/14/2015

Thank you for the warning. Next up, Chicago, the rents high, the bands suck, and then it gets fucking cold!

by Anonymousreply 22002/14/2015

Next lets talk about how welcoming people in Pittsburgh are to outsiders!

by Anonymousreply 22102/14/2015

We can't wait to get out of here! Been living in Austin for 2 years. I seriously cannot think of why anyone who isn't in college would like this place! It is THE most boring city I've ever been to (and I've been to a lot!). The few "events" it has here has so many freakin' people in 100 degree weather you just dread it. The outdoor life is either in a crowded water hole, or in a dead, dried up path you have to get off of by 10:00 a.m. because it's so freakin' hot. There's absolutely NO culture here at all. We head up to Dallas to get a "real" city experience. This place is a dud. Moving in 6 months. Can't wait!

by Anonymousreply 22202/24/2015
Need more help? Click Here.