Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Deanna Troi is one of the greatest characters to grace the small screen

I've become so obsessed with Marina Sirtis' performance as Deanna Troi. It's both campy and genuinely moving.

Does anyone else think she's as wonderful as I do?

Those body suits put her into gay icon status for me.

by Anonymousreply 12410/15/2013

I sense great sadness coming from this creature.

by Anonymousreply 110/08/2013

She does give lots of vague advice like, "He's hiding something; I don't know what it is, but his intentions aren't pure."

Of course the actor in question is so over the top suspicious it would be impossible not to know he is hiding something.

by Anonymousreply 210/08/2013

I'll have you ejected into space, is that clear, Subcommander?

by Anonymousreply 310/08/2013

She really needed to eject those camel-toe-inducing clingpants.... Into Space.

We called it the Dromedary Squats when she'd flash those massive Greek labia puffs as she assumed a pose of intense yet (as R2 said) vague intuitions. "I sense tightness, and a little swelling. And maybe a wet spot if I don't get these knees closer together in the next five seconds."

by Anonymousreply 410/08/2013

Fun fact: Marina HATES chocolate in real life. It shows what a brilliant actress she is in that she's far more animated, humorous and warm in person than as her role of the serious counselor.

by Anonymousreply 510/08/2013

Worf... rub your head ridges against my labia puffs again please...

by Anonymousreply 610/08/2013

The prime directive prevents me from infringing your little world, OP, though cunt you are.

by Anonymousreply 710/08/2013

She has acknowledged her weaknesses as an actress and Rodenberry's costume designer's predilections for making Troi look like a space bimbo.

by Anonymousreply 810/08/2013

I sense polyester chafing my clitoris...

by Anonymousreply 910/08/2013

Not sure why they made her empathic rather than telepathic, since Deanna communicated telepathically with her mother. Her empathic insights were always so stupid - she's afraid! He's conflicted! He's lying!

by Anonymousreply 1010/08/2013

You're horny! Oh god, Wesley, why are you always so horny! It comes off you in waves, it's nauseating!

by Anonymousreply 1110/08/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 1210/08/2013

She was a couple candy bars away from bursting her outfit.

by Anonymousreply 1310/08/2013

Captain, I sense the onset of a loud ripping sound followed by a pungent smell every time you stand up to address the view screen...

by Anonymousreply 1510/08/2013

R14- actually I'm a lesbian .

by Anonymousreply 1610/08/2013

Marina Sirtis and Shohreh Aghdashloo should play sisters some time.

by Anonymousreply 1710/09/2013

R17, Catherine Zeta-Jones and Shohreh Aghdashloo should play granddaughter and grandmother, respectively.

by Anonymousreply 1810/09/2013

A lovely diva in the vein of the great Mia Korf, the real Blair Daimler.

by Anonymousreply 1910/09/2013

But she ever do it with a ghost? Did she?

by Anonymousreply 2010/09/2013

Captain... I'm sensing some very bitter old queens trolling the Murder She Wrote thread... I've never seen such sadness and pain before...

by Anonymousreply 2110/09/2013

You think Deanna is campier than me?! My body was taken over by an energy cloud, I got caught in a temporal rift, and was turned into a dog by Q. What more do you want?

by Anonymousreply 2210/09/2013

Dr. Crusher should have been left in her dog form.

by Anonymousreply 2310/09/2013

She seems to be doing well now on NCIS.

by Anonymousreply 2410/09/2013

Really? Of all thousands of characters in all tv series? Have to disagree.

by Anonymousreply 2610/09/2013

Well... she understood Republicans, anyway...

Counselor Deanna Troi: [as Major Rakal] In order to defeat your enemy, you must first understand them. The Federation wishes to avoid war at all costs. So - I will offer them a diplomatic solution, get them to lower their shields, and then... destroy them!

by Anonymousreply 2710/09/2013

by Anonymousreply 2810/09/2013

Deanna Troi was the queen of stating the obvious.

by Anonymousreply 2910/09/2013

I believe Denise Crosby had been cast as Deanna Troi and Marina Sirtis was cast as Tasha Yar (then called Tasha Gonzales), but the casting director decided to switch their roles.

by Anonymousreply 3010/09/2013

It's impossible to rate Troi's campiest scenes, but right up there has to be her emergency counseling session with the angry oil slick that killed Tasha Yar. It had abandonment issues.

by Anonymousreply 3110/09/2013

They never showed her counseling Riker when he would start sobbing after sex. Or Wesley when he started coming to terms with his attraction to Captain Picard.

by Anonymousreply 3210/09/2013

I was always afraid they were going to make a spinoff with Wesley and his young school friends.

Troi had some campy scenes, but she also had some tremendously touching moments. I think it's wrong to write her off as a "bad actress" (unlike the completely dreadful Crosby).

by Anonymousreply 3310/09/2013

They had to cut the scene when Chad Allen guest starred between him and Wesley. Chad kept putting his hands all over Wesley.

by Anonymousreply 3410/09/2013

I love that her character was so indistinct they could write scenes and plug in her if Whoopi Goldberg was unavailable to play Guinan.

by Anonymousreply 3510/09/2013

by Anonymousreply 3610/09/2013

Drunk Troi

by Anonymousreply 3710/09/2013

Deanna Troi was hilarious. She was an "empath"; that is, she could actually sense and feel the emotions of others. But her voice and manner and facial expressions gave the impression of someone who totally bored with everything. Feelings? It was like she didn't have any. Even when she'd let out a scream it seemed fake. Did Marina Sirtis decide to play her character as a deadly calm, oddly unemotional type or is she just a lousy actress?

Actually ALL the characters on ST:THG were deadly dull and uninteresting, with the possible exceptions of Worf and Data. The Klingon and the Robot; they were both more likeable and sympathetic than the human characters. I contrast the human characters on ST:TNG with the characters on the original (Kirk, Spock, Bones, Scotty, etc.) and in comparison the former ALL seem like a bunch of cold, dead fish. All of them completely dispassionate, even when they were in romantic situations. Just deadly dull personalities.

by Anonymousreply 3810/09/2013

Fucking love this thread.

by Anonymousreply 3910/09/2013

Troi, Riker, and chocolate ice cream.

by Anonymousreply 4010/09/2013

I'm not sure what it is Captain but he's hiding something....

Oh God I fucking hated her.

by Anonymousreply 4110/09/2013

I worked as a peer counselor and when bored I'd recite Deanna Troi lines with her accent. People really thought I was profound!

by Anonymousreply 4210/09/2013

What exactly was her accent?

by Anonymousreply 4310/09/2013

Was Denise Crosby popular with lesbians during her brief run?

by Anonymousreply 4410/09/2013

I could not stand Denise Crosby. I thought she was worse than Dr. Pulaski, and that's something. I liked Diana Muldaur, but she was so ill suited for that ill-conceived role.

by Anonymousreply 4510/09/2013

Captain, he's clenching his anus very tightly. He's definitely hiding something in there.

by Anonymousreply 4610/09/2013

It was Betazoid, R43.

by Anonymousreply 4710/09/2013

Her best moments were when she served as the foil to her mother, Lwaxana Troi (the widow Roddenberry). With someone so over the top, one would think that Deanna would just blend into the background as she did in almost every other moment, but with Lwaxana she paradoxically glowed, as if she was made better by the reflected campiness.

by Anonymousreply 4810/09/2013

by Anonymousreply 4910/09/2013

Deanna was good with her mother.

For some reason this thread reminded me of Sigorney Weaver's character in Galaxy Quest, where her main purpose was to repeat something obvious or something that had just been said. She was probably meant to be more of a spoof on Uhura basically being a telephone operator, but some of that reminds me of Troi.

by Anonymousreply 5010/09/2013

by Anonymousreply 5110/09/2013

I hated Dr. Crusher with the passion of a million suns. Not that she'd notice, the most unobservant doctor in the galaxy. Loved Q.

by Anonymousreply 5210/09/2013

She is not known to me.

by Anonymousreply 5310/10/2013

by Anonymousreply 5410/10/2013

Why the Dr. Crusher hate, R52? Although, with your love of Q, the worst, most irrelevant and shark-jumping turdlet in the franchise, it's plain to see you're a lunatic.

by Anonymousreply 5510/10/2013

I believe you all meant Lwaxana Troi -- daughter of the Fifth House of Betazed, the Holder of the Sacred Chalice of Rixx, and Heir to the Holy Rings of Betazed.

by Anonymousreply 5610/10/2013

R55 it's because Gates McFadden was only a split second away from cradling a coffee mug. All that was stopping her from gazing wistfully into the rain soaked afternoon light while perched on a window ledge was that they were in space. The entire time she looked like she was in a bad Depends commercial. At least Q was fun, unpredictable, and had some acting range.

Anyone who is a natural born cradler should be shunned by all civilized people.

by Anonymousreply 5710/10/2013

"The entire time she looked like she was in a bad Depends commercial."

She was positively lively to the point of being a supernova as Beverly Crusher compared to how she looked on Marker, the series in which she co-starred with Richard Grieco after Star Trek: The Next Generation, where she was nearly catatonic. (And, yes, Richard Grieco; I admit I watched it for the eye candy he was and no longer is - by a long shot or many shots, lines and hits later.)

And despite her limitations and dullness, I still wish she had married Picard on the show and despise Pulaski with the heat of ten thousand Nexuses. (Nexai?)

by Anonymousreply 5810/10/2013

Beverly was boring, but: she got some great universe-bending episodes, and the love story with Picard was nice.

by Anonymousreply 5910/10/2013

I loved Pulaski.

She hated Data, as did I.

by Anonymousreply 6010/10/2013

Hey ya'll, I'm yoni out tonight and want to wear the Sacred Rings, who borrowed them? And is that the Sacred Chaluce bring used for your half-caff semi-skim extra hot no foam pumpkin spice latte? Deanna, bring me the axe!!!!

by Anonymousreply 6110/12/2013

I hated her fucking mother more.

by Anonymousreply 6210/12/2013

I remember being startled when hearing her British accent for the first time. I'd been so used to hearing her Troi voice.

by Anonymousreply 6310/12/2013

Why did the ship's counselor get to sit next to the captain on the bridge? And what was she doing in that chair most of the time when she wasn't giving vague and obvious "readings" of whatever lumpy forehead they were talking to that week?

Was she leafing through INTERGALACTIC CAMEL TOE MONTHLY on one of those ipads most of the time?

And did any other ship ever have a counselor on the bridge?

by Anonymousreply 6410/12/2013

I just watched the fantastic episode 6.3, "Man of the People." An ambassador uses Troi as a "receptacle" to funnel his negative energy. This causes her to become mean and nasty, as well as a total sexpot and then age rapidly until death.

She chews so much scenery I'm surprised the Enterprise was still standing by the end.

I truly love her.

by Anonymousreply 6510/12/2013

Worf... Riker... This is Troi... I need you in my quarters immediately.

And bring Wesley, we'll find a use for him one way or another.

by Anonymousreply 6610/12/2013

Let us not forget that she dated Worf for some time too. Girl got to get intimate with Klingon loDjan (and you all know what they say about Klingon loDjan.....)

by Anonymousreply 6710/12/2013

Riker didn't mind getting freaky. I bet he got in on that action.

by Anonymousreply 6810/12/2013

Hey Guinan...I was just over by Jeffries Tube Five and I overheard two transporter technicians talking. Apparently Commander Riker and the Counselor like to practice Romulan sex rituals with Lt. Worf! You didn't hear it from me...

by Anonymousreply 6910/12/2013

Hi little one! I still act like I get wet down there and suck Ferengi cock. I'm an intergalactic MILF. LOVE ME LOVE ME LOVE ME.

by Anonymousreply 7010/12/2013

I used to love the times when the show would show Deanna doing her "office hours" and stuff. Basically her and a walk-on talking about things: "Tell me how you feel"...

by Anonymousreply 7110/13/2013

R64: In an episode, Captain Picard explained he made the decision that the ship's counselor should sit on the bridge, citing her empathic abilities as the reason.

by Anonymousreply 7210/13/2013

I loved next generation as a kid, but in retrospect, you don't get much more 80's than having a ship counselor being next to the captain on the bridge.

by Anonymousreply 7310/13/2013

In later seasons, they tried to butch her up by having her complete her certification to get her rank, putting her in a uniform, and doing episodes like the one where she was kidnapped by the Romulan resistance.

by Anonymousreply 7410/13/2013

R69, Crusher and Riker did have sex once. She had fallen in love with an alien emissary not realizing the body was actually controlled by a symbiotic life form that couldn't survive on its own but would be accepted into hosts. This was an early version of the Trill (think Dax of Deep Space Nine), but in this version, the symbiotic life form and host didn't "share" control of the body. The personality and decisions were strictly the symbiotic life form's.

After the host was killed, the symbiotic life form was placed in Riker as a placeholder. Crusher was conflicted about her feelings, but Troi encouraged her to continue the relationship. Troi had some ridiculous line about going for it if Crusher loves the alien and "Riker's body could give her pleasure" or something like that. So Crusher did.

Then the replacement showed up, and the symbiotic life form was transferred to its new permanent host. The host, however, was female, and Crusher just couldn't deal with the idea of same-sex loving and ended the relationship.

She later had an affair with a ghost, but whatever.

by Anonymousreply 7510/13/2013

They didn't need to butch her up to make her useful. Considering the amount of negotiating and maneuvering the Captain is required to do in practically any mission, an empath should be fairly useful. It's just that the writers never gave her more to say than "I sense that he believes what he's saying" or "I sense fear" or something equally as dull and useless. She should have always been portrayed as a natural at espionage (which they did eventually get around to) and a master at diplomacy. The idea of her sitting on the bridge next to the Captain made perfect sense. It's just that they never knew how to write her in a way to justify it.

by Anonymousreply 7610/13/2013

Remember when Data and Tasha Yar were screwing? If only the walls of Deck 17 could talk.

By the way, I have given Data physicals, and it is fucking huge.

by Anonymousreply 7710/13/2013

I don't think they needed to justify it, R76. Why was LaForge stationed on the bridge half the time? Why did both Picard and Riker need to be sitting on the bridge all the time? Surely it would make more sense for each of them to pull 12-hour shifts, but no, they wanted their main cast members in one setting.

by Anonymousreply 7810/13/2013

"Surely it would make more sense for each of them to pull 12-hour shifts"

R78 = Captain Jellico

by Anonymousreply 7910/13/2013

Love Troi. She was one of the first women -- on tv or in real life -- to give me an inkling that my future might be filled with softball games, flannel shirts and bread pudding.

by Anonymousreply 8010/13/2013

Was Gates McFadden bowlegged? She always looked like she was walking in a particular way just to hide it. I think I saw one scene were it was a full body shot and she looked like her legs were shaped like a giant horseshoe!

by Anonymousreply 8110/13/2013

They did have what they called the 'night shift' where Data had the Captain's chair, didn't they? And they would dim the lights even? LOL. Data probably had a YouTube show no one knew about... Data, After Dark... where he would spill all their secrets using a whisper voice or something.

by Anonymousreply 8210/13/2013

Totally agree R73. I really loved the show when it was on. Watching it now I only really like it as a Star Trek show. It sometimes seems like a ship commanded by the Human Resources Department. This is why I like Voyager better. It's more action oriented. Voyager holds up the best as well.

by Anonymousreply 8310/13/2013

I remember in a few episodes that take place in Deanna's quarters, she has this big soaking tub/jacuzzi in there. I want to know how that was regulation!

"But Captain, sometimes I need to recharge my Betazoid powers in a bubble bath!!"

by Anonymousreply 8410/13/2013

R84, that was the Sacred Jacuzzi of Rixx. Not allowing it in her quarters would have been seen as a violation of the Federation Charter's provisions on freedom of religion.

by Anonymousreply 8510/13/2013

Troi was dull, dull, dull, and added nothing to the proceedings. As others have posted upthread, her pronouncements were weak and obvious. As an infrequent viewer, I always thought that she had no clear purpose, and she was nothing more than filler. I read that early during the series' run, Troi was at risk of being written out because the writers did not know what to do with her.

At the time, my understanding (perhaps, erroneous) was that Tasha Yar was one of the most popular characters, and that viewers liked Crosby's portrayal of her. Because of that, I thought it was odd that Yar was written out.

by Anonymousreply 8610/13/2013

'Tasha Yar was written out because Crosby wanted out. She wanted out because she was very popular and wanted to see if she could go on to bigger and better. Obviously she didn't. I really liked 'Tasha Yar and thought her departure left a hole that was never really filled.

Her return episode was one of the best of the series. If not the best.

by Anonymousreply 8710/13/2013

R77 - Yes, in The Naked Now, aka The Naked Yar.

by Anonymousreply 8810/13/2013

Who authorized the hiring of Alexander, Worf's son, as a recurring guest star? He's TERRIBLE!

I'm watching the episode where the two of them have an adventure in a Wild West holodeck program and it's painful.

I love Michelle Forbes and wish she had been made a series regular. She fills the Tasha Yar slot and can act circles around many of the cast. Too bad she only pops up now and then.

by Anonymousreply 8910/13/2013

"Wild West"

It's the Ancient West.

by Anonymousreply 9010/13/2013

Michelle Forbes also developed a bit of a lez fan base during her time as Ro Laren.

by Anonymousreply 9110/13/2013

Forbes wouldn't sign on as a regular. She was introduced as Ro on TNG in hopes she would anchor Deep Space, but she declined. Nana Visitor got the renamed role.

by Anonymousreply 9210/13/2013

I liked Nana on DS9

by Anonymousreply 9310/13/2013

Me, too, R93. I was always surprised she didn't seem to get much work after that show ended.

by Anonymousreply 9410/13/2013

Wasn't she 40s by then?

by Anonymousreply 9510/13/2013

I'm probably in the minority but I also liked Nicole deBoer as the second Dax.

by Anonymousreply 9610/13/2013

"I'm probably in the minority"

by Anonymousreply 9710/13/2013

Definitely, R96. I didn't like her, and I hated that the doctor's crush finally paid off.

Odo's crush, however, broke my heart.

by Anonymousreply 9810/13/2013

Riker butt

by Anonymousreply 9910/13/2013

Riker squeezing into those uniforms near the end of the show were some of the best special effects of the whole show. Big fat ass.

by Anonymousreply 10010/13/2013

As a young gay boy, I was insanely in lust with season one Riker. I lived for those profile shots of him, because there was almost always some cock-tentage going on in the front of his Starfleet uniform.

by Anonymousreply 10110/13/2013

Genie was gaining weight too, R100

by Anonymousreply 10210/13/2013

I loved when we got to see Riker shirtless.

by Anonymousreply 10410/13/2013

by Anonymousreply 10510/13/2013

Right now, I feel as two-dimensional as our friends out there - in the universe, but barely aware of it. Just trying to survive... on instinct.

by Anonymousreply 10610/13/2013

WHAT is that on top of Troi's head at R105? Did she wear her hair like that throughout the entire first couple of seasons?

by Anonymousreply 10710/13/2013

R107 - Yeah, and its not flattering on her.

by Anonymousreply 10810/13/2013

That was her Season 1 outfit.

I wish they had just kept her (and some of the male extras) in the mini-skirts.

by Anonymousreply 10910/13/2013

by Anonymousreply 11010/13/2013

by Anonymousreply 11110/13/2013

Remember that soft-core episode called "Justice" where Riker, Crusher, Wesley, etc. landed on that planet where the inhabitants were all scantily-clad, oiled-up hotties (men AND women)?

by Anonymousreply 11210/13/2013

Marina did have great legs.

by Anonymousreply 11310/13/2013

Am I the only one who found Michael Dorn hot?

by Anonymousreply 11410/13/2013

The knot made her look matronly.

by Anonymousreply 11510/13/2013

As I'm making my way through the Star Trek canon I'm nearing the midway point of season 6, which is when Deep Space 9 began. Should I watch the remainder of TNG in tandem with DS9, or will I be ok finishing TNG and then beginning DS9 from the beginning?

by Anonymousreply 11610/13/2013

R116, I would watch them in tandem because in the first season of DS9 there are some cross-relationships between the two. You could enjoy DS9 on its own, but I prefer keeping the linear pace.

by Anonymousreply 11710/13/2013

DS9 can be viewed stand alone.

by Anonymousreply 11810/13/2013

DS9 should be viewed only to watch the camptastic Louise Fletcher as Kai Winn

by Anonymousreply 11910/14/2013

R119, equally camptastic is Garak (Andrew Robinson) who could also be a subtle actor when called for on DS9. He also played the definitive Liberace in a made for TV movie.

by Anonymousreply 12010/14/2013

Andrew Robinson is probably best known for his portrayal of the psychotic Scorpio in "Dirty Harry." He was so convincing as the nutjob murderer that he got death threats!

by Anonymousreply 12110/14/2013

There's a classic on now, where Deanna is trying to figure out what caused 30 crew members on another ship to go crazy and kill each other...she's having nightmares about floating through some weird green place with the two big lights....

by Anonymousreply 12210/15/2013

Two balls... floating in a sack... I try to touch them, but they pull up towards the body...

by Anonymousreply 12310/15/2013

[quote]Am I the only one who found Michael Dorn hot?

Not at all! The first time I saw Dorn out of his makeup for a TV interview, my jaw dropped. I thought that he was one of the most handsome men I had ever seen on TV. His face, height, build, and voice... damn. One of my absolute ideal total packages.

by Anonymousreply 12410/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!