Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I sell Chanel Handbags

I've never made more money in my life.

Thank you Miley, thank you Rihanna.

Any questions?

by Anonymousreply 11612/14/2013

Did you get soaked in the rain on Canal Street today?

by Anonymousreply 110/07/2013

But what does this have to do with me, Kim Kardashian?

by Anonymousreply 210/07/2013

Everyone knows the good knockoffs are not on the street R2. And even those run into the hundreds of dollars.

Let's see you rock some CC cuffs KK.

by Anonymousreply 310/07/2013

I hope that you save

by Anonymousreply 410/07/2013

OP, be honest, are Chanel handbags really that exquisitely made, or are you just buying a name?

by Anonymousreply 510/08/2013

But do the ladies really want Chanel? Versus a Birkin, a Vuitton, a Marc Jacobs?

Chanel seems a bit. .. tired.

by Anonymousreply 610/08/2013

Don't be stupid, rich ladies own them all, not just one.

by Anonymousreply 710/08/2013

And kinda old lady.

by Anonymousreply 810/08/2013

When Oprah was denied a bag in Germany was it simply because she was not a regular customer?

by Anonymousreply 910/08/2013

[quote]I sell Chanel Handbags I've never made more money in my life.

Oh my god. You just like me! Ha ha!

by Anonymousreply 1010/08/2013

[quote]OP, be honest, are Chanel handbags really that exquisitely made, or are you just buying a name?

There are two iconic Chanel Handbags - the 2.55 (designed by Coco herself in feb. 1955, hence the name) and the Classic (Karl's reinterpretation of the 2.55 in 1983). there are four sizes of both ranging in price from $4200 for the smallest up to $5300 for the largest size.

I have seen them being made. And when you see the craftsmanship that goes into making one bag, you wonder how they aren't 10k. So to answer you question, yes, they are exquisitely made. All made by hand by master craftsmen in the trade. One bag takes two days to make.

[quote]But do the ladies really want Chanel? Versus a Birkin, a Vuitton, a Marc Jacobs?

None of the above are Couture houses and have no ties to high fashion. Hermes bags are masterfully made and are the only ones I would say are at the same or above Chanel in standards and definitely price, with the standard Birkin going for 13K.

[quote]But do the ladies really want Chanel? Versus a Birkin, a Vuitton, a Marc Jacobs?

Yes, ladies want Chanel. I have a a year long wait-list for the classic jumbo black caviar. It was once considered old hat, but the OC (imagine that) brought it back to fashion and ever since then it has been on like gangbusters.

The Jumbo (second largest size) is $4900. It was $3500 two years ago and rumored to be going upwards of $10k in a couple of years. The bags are an investment.

by Anonymousreply 1110/08/2013

[quote]The bags are an investment.

Oh, so in a few years I can sell mine to someone else and make a profit? Sweet!

by Anonymousreply 1210/08/2013

Any woman who spends more than maybe $100 on a leather purse is an ignorant cunt who should be slapped viciously, before having all her money forcefully taken and distributed amongst the poor.

by Anonymousreply 1310/08/2013

Lacroix, dahling, Lacroix.

by Anonymousreply 1410/08/2013

so what small business are you in?

by Anonymousreply 1510/08/2013

It's a BAG. You put shit in it! No BAG is worth thousands of dollars. Any woman (or man) who carries these things (with their nose in the air) should be embarrassed and ashamed. It's like advertising, "Hey look at me! I'm a fucking idiot!"

by Anonymousreply 1610/08/2013

You people sound very poor. I don't have much but I do realize there are people who can and will always be afford more than me and I don't judge them.

Men spend $6,000 on custom made suits or even 100k on cars, neither of which appreciate. So yes r12 I am saying if you bought one now you'll be able to sell it for more. People who bought certain bags five years ago are selling them now for twice as much.

by Anonymousreply 1710/08/2013

It's not only the craftsmanship it's the quality of the leather.

by Anonymousreply 1810/08/2013

You guys would go crazy if you knew the exotic bangs go upwards of 70k

I love when the UN General assembly is in town. This time around some dignitary dropped 120k in 20 minutes. He said because he had a plane to catch he had to be out in 20 mins. The sales associate smiled and said he'd have him out in 10.

by Anonymousreply 1910/08/2013

I do understand the importance of handbags, even if I don't carry one. In NYC, the first thing a woman is judged by is her bag. Then her shoes. Then her hair.

The rest of her outfit is an afterthought.

by Anonymousreply 2010/08/2013

"the exotic bangs go upwards of 70k"

That's quite expensive for styling and cutting.

by Anonymousreply 2110/08/2013

"In NYC, the first thing a woman is judged by is her bag. Then her shoes."

That order is, unfortunately, incorrect. Women make the mistake of getting good bags and cheap shoes, but those with, mmmm, good taste, pay attention to the shoes first.

by Anonymousreply 2210/08/2013

So, OP lives in Moscow??

by Anonymousreply 2310/08/2013

[quote]the exotic bangs go upwards of 70k

Are they made from Coco's leathery mummified skin?

by Anonymousreply 2410/08/2013

So you sell purses and worship money? Yawn.

by Anonymousreply 2510/08/2013

I would really love to know what R25 does. I bet it's a day full of regret-filled second guesses.

by Anonymousreply 2610/08/2013

OMG, did you see her BAG? Pssh!

by Anonymousreply 2710/09/2013

But what about the Chanel fannypack I just bought on Canal Street for $11. That will appreciate in value, too, right?

by Anonymousreply 2910/09/2013

She sells Chanels by the seashores.

by Anonymousreply 3010/09/2013

Do you have this one, OP?

by Anonymousreply 3110/09/2013

OP, don't you feel kind of gross and yucky...having to be around rich, or fake rich people all the time?

It would make me so ill, I'd never be able to eat.

by Anonymousreply 3210/09/2013

I will probably be vilified for this statement but I own both a Birkin and a Vuitton. I have to say that I feel completely different when I carry them.

I bought mine from China as I couldn't justify spending almost as much on a handbag as I did on my car. As it was, each was almost as much as my car payment.

I didn't buy it for investment value. I bought it for ME because I thought I deserved it. I have always been that person who deposits their bonus and tax refunds into their savings account.

I know it was the right choice for me. I am a self-confessed "bag hag" and, since buying these two bags, I've not even LOOKED at another one.

I can safely say that I am done buying handbags and am happy I spent what I did.

by Anonymousreply 3310/09/2013

My Mom bought hers in 1965. We're going to be rich !!

by Anonymousreply 3410/09/2013

A classic, simple Chanel bag will NEVER go out of style.

by Anonymousreply 3510/09/2013

Thank you for your contribution to humanity, OP.

by Anonymousreply 3610/09/2013

I watch fashion like others watch sports. I'm amazed by the skill and pageantry but am, myself, pudgy and do my shopping at Target.

by Anonymousreply 3710/09/2013

[quote] A servant is a servant my mother always says. Regardless of the merchandise or the customer, you still just clean and serve.

Lets crunch some numbers. I work in a department store selling Chanel handbags, not even a private boutique and I cleared $100k so far this year and I have three months left to go - three of the biggest selling months. So I will probably make between $125K and $150K this year.

A woman I know who works in the boutique on 57th brought home her first check and her husband said "doctors don't even make this kind of money." The sales people at the boutique make 10% commission and the lead sales guy there had sold 3million dollars worth by May of this year. So he is clearing a 1 mill a year easily. The top Chanel sales person at Bergdorfs has four assistants and easily clears 1 mill a year as well. Those jobs you just have to wait for someone to die to get into them.

Yes a servant is a servant. But selling the right shit you are definitely paid in full and paid better than 90% of the US population.

And yes, r31, we did have that bag. It was part of Act 2 Runway collection for Spring/Summer 2013. It's the hula-hoop bag which Karl suggested using at the beach in the sand to hang your towels from. It was 10K and we sold it in three days. If you are lucky enough you'll see one crazy bitch walking down Madison Ave. carrying it. But my favorites are the Boy Bricks which retail 9k - 16K.

You are paying for several things when buying a Chanel bag. You are paying for something designed by Karl Lagerfeld who's been doing it for 30 years, you are paying for the finest materials in the world that have gone into it, and mostly you are paying for the best craftsmen, generations of families, making your bag.

The market has dictated the value of the bags. If they weren't worth $5,000, I wouldn't have a year long wait list with credit cards ready to go for a Black Caviar Jumbo with Gold chain.

by Anonymousreply 3810/09/2013

Are you a sales bottom, op?

by Anonymousreply 3910/09/2013

If the money you make selling overpriced goods to the 1% was really justification enough, you wouldn't be posting here looking for validation.

" A servant is a servant my mother always says." Absolutely correct. And a devoted servant always licks the boot of its master. That's the psychology of servitude. I don't begrudge you your salary nor do I judge the way you make a living, But your attitude is pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 4010/09/2013

When did this thread become a Hegel lecture? It's silly to reduce everything to a master / servant, as if any of you people are masters at anything. Everyone is a servant to something. And just because you literally serve people doesn't make you a servant to a master.

And I came in with an attitude of gratitude. I was thankful for what I do. How is my attitude pathetic? That is pure projection. Nothing I have said would point to me having a pathetic attitude. And you having said that R35 points more to your feelings of insecurity than anything else.

by Anonymousreply 4110/10/2013

My mother was fond of expensive handbags, shoes, clothes, jewelry, etc. Very expensive.

When she died, I gave the bags, shoes and clothes to a women's shelter. I kept a couple of large leather tote bags that my partner and I actually use.

With all the money she spent on that stuff during her life, that was its value to me.

by Anonymousreply 4210/10/2013

Well people run Maseratis into trees R42. I am sure those women who worked at the Women's Shelter probably dropped a couple of hot ones in their panties when they saw what your Hefty Bags contained.

We're not talking about emotional value. We're talking about monetary value based on the market.

by Anonymousreply 4310/10/2013

Their value was zero, R43, absolutely nothing.

I don't give a fuck what you do for a living. You can sell handbags or cow pies at $10k a piece for all I know or care and good luck to you.

My point is that this "oh they'll be worth blah blah blah in ten years" and "they're an investment" blathering is complete and utter rubbish. My mother enjoyed them during her life, that was a good enough reason to buy them. The money she spent on all that crap was for her own pleasure. As an "investment" they were worth nothing, nothing at all.

Save that salesbottom shit for the Donna Karan wearing legal assistants who are willing to max out their Visas for a Chanel bag and spend years paying it off.

by Anonymousreply 4410/10/2013

I love r44.

by Anonymousreply 4510/10/2013

I'm glad you're making good money, OP. That is the point of this thread, right. You probably went to grad school (Hegel) and this is how you're using your degree and your parents think you're wasting your life but look at all the money you're making. But you must realize that for every customer who worships at the altar of Chanel, there are hundreds of us who don't give a shit and would never think of judging women by their handbag. Here's a tip: If you don't want to encounter hostility on DL, don't brag about how much money you're making. I once posted about my frustration in getting through to my students and every single response was intelligent and helpful.

by Anonymousreply 4610/10/2013

I don't think I'd be able to tell apart a Chanel bag from a barf-bag. Straight guys are probably incapable of even noticing the mere presence of a bag.

by Anonymousreply 4710/10/2013

That's very interesting, R20.

I first assess a person by general appearance/attitude. Anyone who looks like they spent too much time dressing in the morning loses interest to me unless they're in a movie I'm watching.

If a woman is carrying an ostensibly expensive bag (Louis Vuitton) I know she will never, ever interest me.

by Anonymousreply 4810/10/2013

With all that money you are making I hope you hire some to spank your ass on a regular basis. As snotty and self-important as you sound you really need it. Selling expensive things to rich arrogant people is my idea of hell. I can only imagine how your customers carry on or try to impress everyone around them. Yuck! Greedy, spoiled, selfish women are such a cliche. As are fawning fashion gays.

by Anonymousreply 4910/10/2013

The very well-made fakes are hard to tell from originals. Some Chanel fakes are excellent.

A friend got a beautiful "Chanel" from her boyfriend. I knew it was phony because I knew he'd never have paid $4000 USD for a handbag.

Even the paper inside, it was perfect. It was perfect, thin, with the pale Chanel watermark.

But I took her to the Chanel counter in Macy's (of all places) and the clerk noticed problems. The zipper pull wasn't quite right and the interior stitching around the label wasn't done properly.

I'm sorry I ended up embarrassing my friend. My point, then, was to show her it was a knock-off.

My point now is that it takes an expert eye to spot the difference between a well-made knock-off at $400 and one that costs $4000 or more.

by Anonymousreply 5010/10/2013

[quote]I'm sorry I ended up embarrassing my friend.

No, you're not.

by Anonymousreply 5110/10/2013

Did they ever figure out which "couture" house branded its purses as made in Italy when everything but the tag was sewn in Indonesia?

by Anonymousreply 5210/10/2013

There is nothing more off-putting than a man going gaga over a handbag. It's the height of silliness and shallowness. It's a huge turn off. So OP I would recommend you keep it under wraps.

I decided to go into sales too. I wanted to make money. I did and I actually sell technology, which could be viewed at least as selling something that helps people with their lives. Yet it still feels empty. Fair warning OP.

by Anonymousreply 5310/10/2013

R50, are they still together? After that, I would think not.

by Anonymousreply 5410/10/2013

I'm glad OP is posting.

OP, give us some gossipy stories about customers, please. They don't have to be famous, any notable story will do.

by Anonymousreply 5510/10/2013

Umm...if the bags are in *SUCH* high demand & there's a waiting list for them, then why the fuck are you being paid "doctor money" to get them down off the shelf & ring up the cash register? If you're truly getting 10% commission for that, your employer is not so good at this whole business thing. Supply & demand would indicate to me that you deserve a massive pay cut!

by Anonymousreply 5610/10/2013

R50- Chanel at Macy's? I think not!! Unless of course, it was the cosmetics counter.

by Anonymousreply 5710/10/2013

I you like expensive handbags and can afford them good for you

by Anonymousreply 5810/10/2013

If they run short, just start talking. The Spring line will undoubtedly come pouring out!

by Anonymousreply 5910/10/2013

Chanel bags are beautifully made. I'm a gay guy but my sister carries them - nothing else in fact. And she's a lesbian. A beautiful lesbian. (Our Euro Mama didn't talk to us for years)

I asked to look at one of my sister's Chanels and I was struck by the fine craftsmanship tho I wasn't sure if it justified the price.

Thanks OP for the info.

by Anonymousreply 6010/10/2013

Will my shit still stink if I carry a Chanel bag?

by Anonymousreply 6110/10/2013

It is hard for me to believe that with all the problems we have in this world, all of the people suffering, and the earth itself in crisis, there are people who choose to belittle others based on what kind of bag they carry their shit in.

If you find a bag beautiful, and it gives you pleasure, and you can afford, go ahead and have it.

If you buy it because you think it makes you superior to others, or because you want to be thought important, you're a moron.

If you judge others for not having the same taste in handbags or the same priorities as you, you're an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 6210/10/2013

[quote]If you buy it because you think it makes you superior to others, or because you want to be thought important, you're a moron.

That is the ONLY reason women buy these overpriced things.

by Anonymousreply 6310/10/2013

[quote]If you're truly getting 10% commission for that, your employer is not so good at this whole business thing. Supply & demand would indicate to me that you deserve a massive pay cut!

Thank you.

I mean, good for OP if he's nailing down that kind of money, but wtf are they paying that much commission for if they sell themselves and there's a waitlist?

by Anonymousreply 6410/10/2013

I wouldn't carry one of those expensive bags for any reason and if I did, I hope someone would smash me over the head, until I learned something about real life.

by Anonymousreply 6510/10/2013

What is the equivalent of a statusy Chanel bag for gay men?

Assuming none of us carry ladies' handbags.

by Anonymousreply 6610/10/2013

R66 Chanel does make bags for men but they are in Paris. A lot of gay men carry LV or Goyard although those are less money.

The people in the Chanel boutique sell Ready to Wear, bags,shoes, head to toe. Ready to wear is a bitch. But once you see what goes into it, it's amazing. The couture gowns can go upwards of 100k or more.

[quote]My point is that this "oh they'll be worth blah blah blah in ten years" and "they're an investment" blathering is complete and utter rubbish. My mother enjoyed them during her life, that was a good enough reason to buy them. The money she spent on all that crap was for her own pleasure. As an "investment" they were worth nothing, nothing at all.

It's a fact . I don't know how to say it. Bags that were 3500 three years ago sell for 4900 now and will probably go up to 10k in five years. Look at the Hermes Birkin. When Martha Stewart go arrested people made such an uproar about her 8k bag. That same bag is 13k now.

by Anonymousreply 6710/10/2013

Not everyone can sell Chanel, darlings. It's a skill.

by Anonymousreply 6810/10/2013

R68, you have tried to hard. On behalf of those of us who can design a rocket to fly to the moon, we are insulted at your laughable attempt to define "skill". Gurrrl, you is a shop-twat and nothing more.

by Anonymousreply 6910/10/2013

[quote] you have tried to hard. On behalf of those of us who can design a rocket to fly to the moon

I guess you were too busy designing rockets to learn how to spell.

by Anonymousreply 7010/10/2013

Wish I could find Rihanna's gold Chanel belt in this video and those door knocker earrings.

at 1:36

by Anonymousreply 7110/10/2013

R33, why would you ever buy luxury goods from China? China has a ridiculous luxury goods tariff (upward to 30%) and the Chinese form tourist groups to Europe and the US for no other purpose than to buy luxury goods in bulk tariff free.

by Anonymousreply 7210/10/2013

This is the 100th anniversary of Coco Chanel opening her first store in Deauville.

She became famous for designing clothes out of Jersey which at the time was used only in men's underwear. She liberated women from the confines of the elaborate dress of the time with its tons of boning and corseting giving them something much more relaxed.

Believe it or not, she was the first designer to put a strap on a handbag. Before then, women's bags were just that - handbags. By adding a strap, she again liberated women, freeing their hands.

These things seem simple and basic, but they were quite ground breaking at the time allowing women to re-imagine who they could be.

Everything in the House today reflects some piece of the codes she established over 100 years ago. Most recently the BOY bag, named after her lover Boy Capel, which is soon to be added to the list of iconic pieces issued every season.

by Anonymousreply 7310/10/2013

[quote]China has a ridiculous luxury goods tariff (upward to 30%)

If you go to Paris there's a lin around the block from 31 Rue du Cambone filled with Chinese people wanting to buy Chanel. I swear if you can speak Mandarin right now, you can make a shitload of money in retail.

Karl designs 8, count them, 8 collections for Chanel a year. 6 Ready to Wear and 2 Haute Couture shows. It is absolutely unheard of in the fashion industry. Every 2 months you have a wave of something absolutely new. He does his own line AND Fendi on top of that.

Where is Rony Douglas? He was killed by the CIA.

Sweet Vagina (Regina) went to China.

I love this show - Chanel Fall 2013 Act2

by Anonymousreply 7410/10/2013

Can you believe this little shop-girl tramp?

by Anonymousreply 7510/11/2013

So where do these really good knockoffs come from?

by Anonymousreply 7610/11/2013

Did Karl personally proofread R73's response before it was posted?

by Anonymousreply 7710/11/2013

R72, I bought both bags via a website; the seller was in China. If I could have justified it, I would have saved the $800+ and bought my LV from their store in the Short Hills Mall.

by Anonymousreply 7810/11/2013

I would find it interesting how the boutiques get around their own rules.

Chanel has mandated that a store cannot sell more than two bags per month to any one customer. And no more than one Iconic bag per month to one customer. No photos as well. So that means if I have a cutomer in South Africa who wants a bag, I have to tell her to google the style code and hope it comes up.

So technically you cannot buy Chanel in bulk. And no Chanel handbags are sold online by any retailer, not even Chanel. I would be wary spending money on ebay. You have to see it in person to make sure the authentication card matches the number stitched on the inside of the bag.

And I swear if another person asks me for a wallet on a chain, I am going to jump out of a window.

by Anonymousreply 7910/11/2013

I'd poop all over them!

by Anonymousreply 8010/15/2013

[bold]I've never made more money in my life.

Thank you Miley, thank you Rihanna.

Any questions?[/bold]

Yes.

Here is my question:

[italic]Why did this thread last for longer than one day?[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 8110/15/2013

Who said men can't wear gladiators and carry a Birkin around?

by Anonymousreply 8210/15/2013

[quote]Why did this thread last for longer than one day?

Because people were feigning indifference when they were actually quite nonplussed

by Anonymousreply 8310/15/2013

Only $74,950.00!

by Anonymousreply 8411/08/2013

[quote]Only $74,950.00!

And there's still 9 days left.

by Anonymousreply 8511/08/2013

There was a fairly recent expose on designer handbags and luxury goods. The conclusion was that Chanel and Hermes are pretty much the only houses who have maintained the hand-crafted, high-end materials standard.

The rest, in particular Louis Vuitton, are selling crappy, mass produced pieces of shit made by slaves in China.

by Anonymousreply 8611/08/2013

The prices of designer bags has gone through the roof. On the plus side, I am able to sell LV and chanel bags that I have carried for several years, and pretty much get what I paid. It's great to carry a nice bag for free.

by Anonymousreply 8711/08/2013

[quote]There was a fairly recent expose on designer handbags and luxury goods. The conclusion was that Chanel and Hermes are pretty much the only houses who have maintained the hand-crafted, high-end materials standard.

[quote]The rest, in particular Louis Vuitton, are selling crappy, mass produced pieces of shit made by slaves in China.

This book discusses this.

by Anonymousreply 8811/08/2013

(R78) You're aware that you've received fakes from China, right?

Why spend the money for fakes? Plus any and every woman who matters can spot a fake 100 yards down the street.

by Anonymousreply 8911/15/2013

I agree r89. I'm a lipstick lesbian, and I love designer bags. My partner isn't into fashion at all, but she can now spot a fake from a mile away...it is pretty funny. I was in a LV boutique a couple of years ago, and a mother and daughter walked in with fakes. I don't know what they were thinking going into the boutique with knockoffs, maybe they thought they were real. The salesperson was so over the top rude and mean to them, announcing to everyone in the store that they had fakes. If you can't afford a real high end bag, buy a cheaper middle end designer bag. Kors has decent bags at a low price point.

by Anonymousreply 9011/15/2013

Yes, Chanel is hyper conscious when it comes to maintaining luxury standards. Their ready to wear collections are the closest you will get to haut couture quality with the hand stitching and the hand beading. They have ready to wear garments made by three different métiers d'arts houses that take 100 hours to make. You are talking about one dress off that rack that has passed through three houses and many hands over the course of four days to produce.

Chanel actually has bought several of these little houses just so these houses can maintain their craftsmanship and not go out of business. They have one that just does tweeds, one that does camellias and feathers, one that just does their buttons, one that does their embroidery, one that does hats and one that specifically does shoes.

Each season Chanel makes a brand new button never to be repeated. The buttons on EVERY garment are hand made and specifically designed for that season and collection, never to be made again.

Looking at the making of this one "simple" cardigan

by Anonymousreply 9111/16/2013

Obsessed with handbags? Get a fucking life.

by Anonymousreply 9211/16/2013

After reading R91 I have new found respect for Chanel.

by Anonymousreply 9311/16/2013

I love this video to about Chanel's origins - born into poverty and inventing her own legend.

by Anonymousreply 9411/16/2013

What bag did Chanel wear when she socialized with Nazis?

by Anonymousreply 9511/16/2013

It wasn't a Chanel, r95. She didn't make her first bag until 1955. Actually February 1955. That is why the original Chanel handbag is called the 2.55 bag.

by Anonymousreply 9611/17/2013

Someday, you'll all be dead. It won't matter one bit if you Chanel can be resold at a higher price.

People are fucking stupid. It's no wonder this planet is slowly decomposing.

by Anonymousreply 9711/17/2013

Good for you OP. It sounds that you enjoy the money as well as the job. People need all of the fun they can get at work. Congrats.

by Anonymousreply 9811/17/2013

R97 is the most reasonable person here. He/she is marriage material.

As lesbian Suze Orman points out: Stupid earthlings buy shit they don't need with money they don't have to impress people they don't even know. And to be honest, no one is nearly as impressed as you likely think they are. They're too busy trying to look the part themselves. Snap the fuck out of it!

by Anonymousreply 9911/17/2013

OP, when one of your fellow salespersons says that doctors don't make as much as she does, keep in mind that doctors are professionals who can practice for most of their lives. A salesperson can't work at Chanel for the same period.

by Anonymousreply 10011/17/2013

What R100? People work retail jobs 20-30 years. That is why they are so hard to get into and so coveted. Besides, it's not a marathon. If I could make Dr. money for even just a good decade without having spent a decade in school, I would be more than content with that.

Retail is one of the last places in the professional world where you can earn a very good living without even having gone to college.

by Anonymousreply 10111/17/2013

[quote]People work retail jobs 20-30 years.

Thirty Years A Shopgirl, lord have mercy.

by Anonymousreply 10211/17/2013

how much are they paid? what's the base salary and is there a sale target etc? please enlighten, thank you.

by Anonymousreply 10311/17/2013

I have a relative who is a "shopgirl" for Chanel. She made about 250k last year. Plus she gets a clothing allowance. Of course, she's thin, blonde an gorgeous. She's in her early 50's (she looks late 30's) and has an amazing client list. It's all about the client list and commission.

Not bad for only having a high school diploma.

by Anonymousreply 10411/17/2013

I just watched a documentary on Bergdorfs - the average salary of their sales people is $450,000.

by Anonymousreply 10511/17/2013

I once bought a scarf in the flagship Hermès store on the rue du fbg st Honoré in Paris. I had to wait as the colour I was after was in the stock room. I saw some of the most obnoxious offensive people in that store. One man who looked like a Russian gangster swaggering about in black cowboy boots and an enormous, clearly custom made extra large Birkin. Odious.

These things do not impart taste, style, manners, or any other qualities that actually make people worth knowing like compassionate and modest. They are bought largely by people who want to aggressively assert their wealth. Chanel and Hermes and Céline etc sell to any idiot with a credit line. The Chanel target customer is the Russian oligarch's favourite call girl, the Samsung executives menopausal wives, English footballer's girlfriend, Mrs. Kanye West.

by Anonymousreply 10611/17/2013

It's true, shopgirls and salesbottoms can make excellent money with only a high school diploma, if they work in the right shop.

It begs the question, why would they stay in those jobs for 30 years? Why don't they use some of that money to go to college, get an education, get a profession? There must be something they want to do besides waiting on rich people in a store all of their lives.

by Anonymousreply 10711/17/2013

Here's my opinion.

The only status in owning these bags is if you get it free. If you're a celebrity. Celebrities get the bag, and then nobodies with money actually pay for them, based on the celebrity cred. That's the racket. It's the nobodies with money who are the marks. That's what they are - marks. It's like people who are paid to attend events, and because they're at the events, someone else pays $10,000, or they'd never get in. This whole thing exploits people with money who have no other status but their bank account - or their daddy's bank account. Dad isn't a celeb or fixture on the scene. Neither is mom. But dad has money and underwrites princess.

This stuff is made well, no doubt. But the ones buying it are rich groupies.

by Anonymousreply 10811/17/2013

"It begs the question, why would they stay in those jobs for 30 years? Why don't they use some of that money to go to college, get an education, get a profession? There must be something they want to do besides waiting on rich people in a store all of their lives."

Why would someone spend 100K to get a degree so they could end up doing something that makes a third of what they were making before? People stay in a job for 30 years for several reasons, not the least of them being that they actually enjoy it. Where else can you earn 250K a year, relatively stress free? I mean, yes, there is stress. But there isn't the kind of stress most 250K a year jobs would require.

by Anonymousreply 10911/18/2013

Oh, and any job that pays good money is usually pandering to the rich.

by Anonymousreply 11011/18/2013

There's also something to be said for being surrounded by gorgeous clothes and accessories. There are worse ways to spend a life.

I'm a nurse practitioner working in a clinic for the underserved. I love it but wouldn't mind dressing up and selling some *gorgeous little things* to the rich once in awhile, especially if a clothing allowance was involved.

by Anonymousreply 11111/18/2013

R107, that is not the correct use of the phrase, "begs the question."

by Anonymousreply 11211/18/2013

Chanel's pre-fall Metiers d'Arts show was this past week in Dallas Texas. This is the show, along with the Cruise collection, which showcases the craftsmanship of the specialty houses under Chanel's umbrella - Desrues, Montex, Lesage and others.

Chanel shut it doors during WWII for twelves opening again in the 50s. The first collections were reviewed very poorly by the European markets. But it was the United States and specifically Neiman Marcus, based in Texas, which enthusiastically received Chanel and her new collection. Celebrating 100 years since the first Chanel store, this show is a thank you to the United States and Texas.

by Anonymousreply 11312/14/2013

You only work in a shop, you know. You can drop the attitude, R38.

by Anonymousreply 11412/14/2013

OP/R73, thanks for the thread. I love Coco Chanel. She was so original in her thinking about women's clothing--the suit, the bag. And the fact that she came from such poverty to put all this together. I appreciate that Chanel buys these small houses to continue the exquisite craftsmanship.

People who are buying Chanel buy the history and the amazing craftsmanship in the clothing and bags. Everything is such crap anymore. And, sadly, every time I see a Kardashian or the equivalent with a Hermes bag, I am completely grossed out.

It is unfortunate that some on this thread do not understand that there is value in executing something perfectly. They kind of miss the point.

by Anonymousreply 11512/14/2013

"Chanel handbag."

Sounds like a euphemism.

"He got the part by giving him Chanel handbags in his dressing room."

by Anonymousreply 11612/14/2013
Need more help? Click Here.