Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Happy 16th birthday to Janet's THE VELVET ROPE

Today marks the 16th anniversary of the release of Janet's most critically-praised album--the introspective, dark "The Velvet Rope". Widely considered her masterpiece, topics covered on the album ranged from sexual bondage, domestic violence, bisexuality and homophobia to the examination of self-worth, depression and the celebration of loved ones who've passed away. Janet stated that she was exploring the need she feels we all have to feel special--that we belong--and likening it to the velvet ropes that seperate the "VIPs" at a club from everyone else.

The album came after a renegotiation of her Virgin Records contract (after a bidding war that included everyone from Walt Disney Co. to Polygram Records)--resulting in an historic $80 million deal, making her, for the second time in five years, the highest-paid recording artist in history. "The Velvet Rope" is listed on several All-Time Greatest Albums lists, including Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time. The album was banned in Singapore for its lyrical content depicting homosexuality--the first of Janet's albums to be banned there. It debuted at #1 on the Billboard 200, charted in the top 5 of many other countries, was Janet's fourth consecutive #1 album in the US, and went on to triple-platinum status in the US, with total worldwide sales of over 10 million copies.

"If Janet Jackson made much ado of janet being the Let's Get It On to Rhythm Nation's What's Going On, then 1997's The Velvet Rope is clearly her I Want You, respectively Jackson's and Gaye's best and least-heralded albums...The Velvet Rope is a richly dark masterwork that illustrates that, amid the whips and chains, there is nothing sexier than emotional nakedness."--SLANT magazine--****1/2

Rolling Stone magazine--***1/2

"'The Velvet Rope' picks up where 'janet.' left off, in both its themes and its textures; this new collection of songs and "interludes" addresses the social, emotional and sexual politics of relationships, peppering the wistful, spirited pop melodies and sinuous R&B rhythms that are fundamental elements of the Jackson-Jam-Lewis sound with compelling jazz, folk and techno nuances."--Los Angeles Times

"In the end, the most daring thing about The Velvet Rope isn't its sex talk but its honesty. Tempting as it may be to compare the album to similarly sultry stuff like Madonna's Erotica, it's much closer in spirit to the unabashed emotionalism of Joni Mitchell's Blue. That's because the most revealing moments here have to do with loneliness and vulnerability, not sexual preference."--Entertainment Weekly

"...her most daring, elaborate and accomplished album"--New York Times

"Jackson shows once again that she can compete against any of the lightweight, mega-selling pop divas and hang them out to dry".--Craig S. Semon of Telegram & Gazette

by Anonymousreply 12110/08/2014

She wasn't the youngest to have a #1 after Stevie, and she isn't even 3rd now.

by Anonymousreply 110/07/2013

I like Janet but honestly I didn't love this album. I liked her 80s and early 90s stuff better. Even her 2000s stuff...for me The Velvet Rope just wasn't IT.

by Anonymousreply 210/07/2013

[quote]She wasn't the youngest to have a #1 after Stevie

At the time of the release of her first #1, 1986's "When I Think of You", Janet was 20 years old, making her the youngest artist since Stevie Wonder to top the Billboard Hot 100. Fact.

by Anonymousreply 310/07/2013

Haaay Janbot, with your fine ass! I missed you boo :)

I find that only Janet's hardcore stans really appreciate this album. I just not my tea either, compared to her others.

I always thought 'Go Deep' was a brilliantly crafted song that was ahead of its time. So smooth and slick that only Janet could pull it off. Its pretty overlooked in her body of singles.

I like this remix of it the best.

by Anonymousreply 410/07/2013

That's a good mix, R4! I love this Torro Torro mix. I can just picture going crazy at an Ibiza club at 3 in the morning to this one...

by Anonymousreply 510/07/2013

I like "I Get Lonely" ... very erotic for me. I think of Janbot and touch myself listening to that song. Mmmm...

by Anonymousreply 610/07/2013

For you, R6

by Anonymousreply 710/07/2013

Janbot, people are coming for Janet in this following thread-get the hell in there and defend her honor! :

by Anonymousreply 810/07/2013

Oh janet has been irrelevant for 16 years?

by Anonymousreply 910/07/2013

I've already dipped in there and set them straight, R8!

[quote]Oh janet has been irrelevant for 16 years?

No, darlin'. After TVR, Janet would go on to have her biggest first-week sales and the longest-running #1 song of 2001 with the ALL FOR YOU album and single, do more world tours, make more films, win more awards (Grammys, Billboard Awards, NAACP Image Awards, etc.), pen a bestselling book and put her stamp on every young pop artist that would soon come. And you were saying?

by Anonymousreply 1010/07/2013

My favorite song on the album is "Every Time". I love Janet but the rest of this album didn't do much for me.

by Anonymousreply 1110/13/2013

I love the "Tubular Bells"-sampling title track

by Anonymousreply 1210/13/2013

she moved to India so that she can wear a burqa and hide all that hideous plastic surgery she's had done. can't we please just let her rot in peace?

by Anonymousreply 1310/13/2013

I wish she had released the title track. Certainly a better single than "I Get Lonely."

Of all her albums, this one holds up best.

by Anonymousreply 1410/13/2013

This may not have done the overall units-moved business that Rhythm Nation or Janet did, but I *****love***** this record. This was fine art.

And thank you, Janbot, for representing fine art!

Loved the Joni Mitchell sample.

Loved Free Xone.

Love, love, love this record.

by Anonymousreply 1510/13/2013

Oh, to live off of past glories.

by Anonymousreply 1610/13/2013

Wow, R17, that's not what Janet is doing now, is she?

I heard Randy had fallen on hard times, however.

by Anonymousreply 1810/13/2013

"The Velvet Rope" was her masterpiece. She finally received a lot of respect from critics. She was never able to top that album. The crap that came out after it in the 2000s is shocking. She sold out like Madonna who released "Ray of Light" around the same time as "The Velvet Rope." Janet had finally grown up.

by Anonymousreply 1910/13/2013

"My Need" and "Anything" not to mention her cover of "Tonight's the Night"... sigh. I miss THIS Janet. It's what she should be doing now. It was a risky album that paid off. The photography and music videos were stellar too. After the late 90s, all these pop acts that had just put out their best, most popular work, took a detour to bubblegum pop.

by Anonymousreply 2010/13/2013

"janet." was the most successful album of her career. She sold shitloads.

by Anonymousreply 2210/13/2013

Does she have a new nose now?

by Anonymousreply 2310/13/2013

You guys better watch it. When Janbot comes on today and sees all this mess y'all are posting, his sexy ass is going to SLAY each and every one of you with the truth.

by Anonymousreply 2410/13/2013

[quote]"janet." was the most successful album of her career.

Yeah, but it sounds very dated. VR is timeless.

by Anonymousreply 2510/13/2013

LOL R17.

This was a remarkable album in every way. The underrated "Empty" touched on electronica and internet relationships before either were a major thing. Even Rihanna during her red-haired "Loud" era copied Janet's Velvet Rope era look and style.

by Anonymousreply 2610/13/2013

Janbot, I ff'd R21 for you!

by Anonymousreply 2810/13/2013

R27 had been ff'd too

by Anonymousreply 2910/13/2013

But I am only giving my opinion like everyone else here...I don't understand the hatred.

by Anonymousreply 3010/13/2013

Keep your opinions to yourself, R30. This is my thread, and your negativity is not wanted or needed. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 3110/13/2013

Don't be so harsh on your mother, R21.

by Anonymousreply 3210/13/2013

[quote]Wow, [R17], that's not what Janet is doing now, is she?

You know just as well as I do that Janet is a jet-setting billionairess who is in the process of making a new album.

by Anonymousreply 3310/13/2013

by Anonymousreply 3410/13/2013

That pizza boy in 'Go Deep' was hot.

by Anonymousreply 3510/13/2013

The video for I GET LONELY was iconic. It inspired so many future performances by pop/R&B divas. The video for Faith Evans' ALL NIGHT LONG was a veritable scene-for-scene rip-off of IGL, down to Faith's flowing red tresses and cleavage...

by Anonymousreply 3610/13/2013

This 2011 Kelly Rowland performance was a direct homage to Janet's I GET LONELY performance posted @ R7...

by Anonymousreply 3710/13/2013

But Faith had a better voice, though....

by Anonymousreply 3810/13/2013

"You", "Go Deep" and "Got Til It's Gone" are better edgy R&B than most acts today have attempted. They still hold up well.

by Anonymousreply 3910/13/2013

Janet's wax statue at London's Rock Circus was unveiled around the time that TVR was released.

by Anonymousreply 4010/13/2013

Hope you are having a great weekend, Janbot. Happy Christopher Columbus Day weekend. Hope ur having fun jamming out to some Janet tunes!

by Anonymousreply 4110/13/2013

Rih-Rih co-opted Janet's "Velvet Rope" look for her album LOUD...

by Anonymousreply 4210/13/2013

Janbot, Rihanna only wore that bright red tight curl wig for about half a week and then threw it in the trashcan. You and I both know that!

by Anonymousreply 4310/13/2013

[quote]Hope you are having a great weekend, Janbot.

I am! Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 4410/13/2013

[quote]Janbot, Rihanna only wore that bright red tight curl wig for about half a week and then threw it in the trashcan. You and I both know that!

And then she went straight and sleek...

by Anonymousreply 4510/13/2013

...Like you know who...

by Anonymousreply 4610/13/2013

Jsnbot rocks. Please don't ever stop your JJ stannery! Did you get any action this weekend?

by Anonymousreply 4710/13/2013

Not this weekend, R47 (I stayed in all weekend and watched movies), but I plan on it next weekend!

by Anonymousreply 4810/13/2013

The concept of the I Get Lonely video perfectly fit the message of the song. Janet described it as herself traveling to a better place in life. I thought that was so poignant at the time, and it still translates so well through the video. All we have now is people like Rihanna twerking for singles.

It seems like Janet spent a lot of her life trying to find happiness, but not really being able to fully experience it like a normal person as hard as she tried to. Michael as well. That's really what connects her to her fans, especially the gay fans.

by Anonymousreply 4910/13/2013

Janbot, what did you watch?

by Anonymousreply 5010/13/2013

Janbot what sort of movies? You must have watched them a with date or a best girlfriend?

What do you think of the criticism of Janet's singing in the "worst voices" thread? She got listed a lot in there.

by Anonymousreply 5110/13/2013

R51 - Janbot has already responded to those criticisms AT LENGTH. I'll sum them up: Janet can go from rock n roll vocals ("Black Cat"), to sexy r&b ("Love Won't Do Without You"), to sleek r&b ("I get so lonely), to mournful ballads ("Again"), and to futuristic pop ("Scream"). Janbot believes, with these examples that Janbot is one of the best, if not THE best, pop vocal artists.

by Anonymousreply 5210/13/2013

Not a hardcore fan of Janet's, sorry Janbot, but most of her music didn't do it for me. However, Janet's "borrowing" of Big Yellow Taxi on Velvet Rope was absolutely spectacular. I still listen to it, all these years later.

Janet Jackson was always the class act of that godforsaken family. Sadly it's been clear, from so many things in her life, that she did not escape their fuckery unscathed. I blame her parents - both of them - just as I blame them for Michael and the rest of the Jackson clan being such appalling people.

I hated to see Janet selling herself to this billionaire asshole. It's the sort of thing that should have been beneath her. Still, I hope she gets what she needs and then gets the hell out of it.

Just my opinions, Janbot, love you - don't get it twisted.

by Anonymousreply 5310/13/2013

R52, I just think she's more versatile and better than she gets credit for. Take the underrated ballad "Where Are You Now" from the 'janet.' album. It's an honest, emotional vocal with feeling--no autotune needed.

by Anonymousreply 5410/13/2013

R50 and R51, mostly scary movies (that's all that's on cable, LOL).

I had a bit of company on Saturday but not of the sexual variety.

by Anonymousreply 5510/13/2013

CoCo Montrese coming for Janet!

by Anonymousreply 5610/13/2013

Janbot didn't you almost die laughing about 20 years ago when Janet implied that Vadge is not classy? Janet's quote was something like "I keep my music classy" after the interviewer asked her about Vadge.

by Anonymousreply 5710/13/2013

I love me some Janet - and some Janbot!

And I've had some chats on here where we exchanged our opinions. I happen to love early Janet, loved "Make Me" (more recent) but was disappointed at a few early 2000's works (the remake of the Carly Simon song was dreadful). The well was running a bit dry there for a while.

I've also suggested to Janbot that I would love a Janet record where she went slightly more jazz, or perhaps in the Erykah Badu-ish direction or a Corinne Bailey Rae sort of sound. I'd like to hear her vocals outside of the disco dolly dance tracks.

Janet may not have a belter's voice but when all the noise is out of the way, her voice conveys a lot of feeling.

by Anonymousreply 5810/13/2013

How about "Diamonds"?

by Anonymousreply 5910/13/2013

Thanks R58! I think she sort of went that route with TVR, but from what I've read she may be revisiting that genre with the new record. She's also into Brazillian Jazz, so I'm thinking she'll explore that as well.

R57, I totally LOLd at that (the interview is somewhere on Youtube). That's what I loved about her during the 'janet.' era--she wasn't afraid to tell it like it was, even if it was about her family (she came for LaToya in a few interviews back then, too).

[youtube]How about "Diamonds"?

by Anonymousreply 6010/13/2013

Coco did Janet on RuPaul's Drag Race this past year too. Here she is getting her "Feedback" on at a RDR premiere party...

by Anonymousreply 6110/13/2013

Look at what I just came across while channel surfing...!

by Anonymousreply 6210/13/2013

Are we too look for another ridiculous post like this for her "17th birthday"? Why not do it every 6 months, Janbot? You are a consummate asshole!

by Anonymousreply 6310/13/2013

LOL, R63. Because of your blatant dickheadish douchebaggery, I will not only do an annual Velvet Rope anniversary thread, but I will also do one for every Janet Jackson album on the date of their anniversary (DREAM STREET's is coming up on the 23rd...)

by Anonymousreply 6410/13/2013

I knew a girl who dissed Janbot once.

And then she died.

by Anonymousreply 6510/13/2013

Go Janbot! fuck the haters.

by Anonymousreply 7010/14/2013

[quote]Go Janbot! fuck the haters.

It is my joy to fuck with their miserable heads.

by Anonymousreply 7110/14/2013

[quote]Anyone who posts a Happy Birthday to a 16 year old album is fucked enough.

And anyone who keeps coming back into a thread about said 16-year-old album to make a general ass of himself is the epitome of desperate. Is it our fault that you have no friends, family or life? We pity you.

But you're still an illiterate loser.

by Anonymousreply 7310/14/2013

EVERYONE: The thing at R74 is a MANdonna stan, over in the Madonna's Fey Son Dial's With A Pencil thread. She's insulting anyone who makes a negative comment about that old sea hag, and playing it off like she's not various unhinged people responding to various insults. To say she's cray-cray is putting it mildly.

by Anonymousreply 7510/14/2013

R74 Please die in a grease fire.

by Anonymousreply 7710/14/2013

Keep the faith R63. Everytime Janbot and her minions do an anniversary thread, we'll be there too. We're strong and resilient - unlike Janet's voice.

by Anonymousreply 7810/14/2013

You and I see eye to eye, R77. Love it!

As for you, R78, please do what R77 suggested that other nutcase do. Immediately.

by Anonymousreply 7910/14/2013

Smooches JB!

by Anonymousreply 8010/14/2013

Thanks babe!

by Anonymousreply 8110/14/2013

To me, this is the last great Janet Jackson album back when her album releases were major events. However, it's not one of my favorite Janet albums.

After Velvet Rope, it seemed like Janet started getting desperate to compete w/ the younger pop tarts (i.e. Brit & Chris) & was constantly selling her sexuality instead of making good music like she made throughout the 80s & 90s.

The superbowl fiasco was the final nail in the coffin and as we all know, her music career never recovered. Of course, it doesn't help that she no longer collaborates with her dream team anymore (Jam & Lewis and Tina Landon). I really miss old school Janet :-(

by Anonymousreply 8210/14/2013

I actually love All For You, R82. Janet had been expressing herself sexually on wax from as far back as Control ("Funny How Time Flies..." is still one of her sexiest songs).

The SuperBowl cooled her music career, but it wasn't a nail in the coffin situation. She still put out records and toured. Ironically, AFU gave her her biggest first-week album sales ever. I chalk up her sexy, youthful exhuberance on that album to her being a newly single, newly svelte woman at the time.

by Anonymousreply 8310/14/2013

Janbot, you've probably opined on this before but I didn't see it - what is your view of Justin Timberlake?

Do you accept his apology for leaving Janet twisting in the wind on her own, post-Super Bowl fiasco? Actually, I'm not sure it was an actual apology or if just said that he wishes he'd "been there for her more" or some shit.

Anyway, as Janet's chosen representative here on Earth, or at least on Datalounge, what say you re Timberlake?

by Anonymousreply 8410/14/2013

My loss of enthusiasm for Janet's work circa early 2000s didn't have anything to do with the Super Bowl fiasco.

It just felt like that particular well had been gone to one too many times. It happens.

I would love to see her do something that's still electronic based but more electronica. More Zero 7ish, or have Mark Ronson produce her and update her sound.

by Anonymousreply 8510/14/2013

I agree R83 that there was always an underlying sexuality in her music, but it was always classy and tasteful. Beginning in the 2000s though, her sexuality seemed really desperate and forced to me - like she was trying really hard to keep the public's attention and stay on top in a changing music industry.

by Anonymousreply 8610/14/2013

R86, you're right. The sex did get more heavy handed, if you will, as the albums progressed. I think it was her inner freak just bursting forth!

R84, I think he was a cooze when it happened. He apologized, and years later he said that he really didn't like the way he handled everything back then. He also said something about how women and minorities are always treated unfairly, etc., etc. I was never a big fan of his to begin with, but the SB thing cooled me completely (although I do hate to admit that, with the right lighting and angles, he can be hot.)

Her new CD will likely harken back to a Velvet Rope-ish vibe.

[quote]as Janet's chosen representative here on Earth

This made made me laugh!

by Anonymousreply 8710/14/2013

I loved "Feedback" and think it should have been at least top 5 on the hot 100. It was a hot track.

Janbot I can't believe you think TimberFake is hot. Can't stand that slimeball.

by Anonymousreply 8810/14/2013

I only think he's hot because he's got a nice ass, R88. Other than that, I think he's pompous scum.

FEEDBACK did get slighted, for sure. MTV had come around by that time, but radio still had a bug up its butt about the SB. It did get more airplay than ALL NITE (DON'T STOP) got (which, IMHO, is an even hotter track than FEEDBACK), but still not as much as a new Janet track should.

by Anonymousreply 8910/14/2013

The Feedback video was weird...a space theme and then you saw dust in the frame. It was all very deliberate but way too above the "lowest common denominator" who watch videos like that.

I do like that song, though.

by Anonymousreply 9010/14/2013

Opinions varied upon what the white stuff was. People whose minds lean more towards the dirty said she was dancing in cum, while others thought they were boogying in a giant bowl of milk and ceral. I did like the cool, interplanetary parkour in the first half of the video, though. And her solo dance in the red catsuit at the end with those orbs of light was the business.

by Anonymousreply 9110/14/2013

I really enjoyed Janet's first Oprah interview for TVR. Janet was very candid with all of Oprah's questions and talked about her legendary coffee enemas! lol

This was around the time when Michael really was tabloid fodder because he was having white children. Janet pretty much cut him out of her life for a couple of years, and shut Oprah down when she kept asking questions about him.

by Anonymousreply 9210/14/2013

I liked that interview too. I believe that was the first big interview she ever did on network TV. At the end of the show, Janet got her dancer Shawnette to recite one of Oprah's famous lines from "The Color Purple".

by Anonymousreply 9310/14/2013

[quote] would love to see her do something that's still electronic based

She does. It's called Autotune, dearie.

by Anonymousreply 9410/14/2013

[quote]I would love to see her do something that's still electronic based

"Empty" from The Velvet Rope is an awesome track with electronica overtones. It's one that I keep on repeat whenever I have TVR on.

by Anonymousreply 9510/14/2013

Is this the same Janet in billing?

by Anonymousreply 9610/15/2013

Janbot I think a lot of people GOT their lives with this album!

by Anonymousreply 9710/16/2013

Oh, for sure, R97!

by Anonymousreply 9810/18/2013

More from the Velvet Rope listening party in LA

by Anonymousreply 9910/18/2013

by Anonymousreply 10010/18/2013

by Anonymousreply 10110/18/2013

This album is a masterpiece. Janet is a legend, an icon, and a musical genius. Anyone who disputes this is clearly a racist or deaf.

by Anonymousreply 10210/19/2013

r3, what about me, bitch?

by Anonymousreply 10310/19/2013

I'll never know why "Velvet Rope" and "You" were never released as official singles. Two great songs with great messages.

This is the problem with music today - songs don't have messages anymore.

by Anonymousreply 10410/19/2013

Is "Janet Jackson" even a thing?

I'm going to check.

by Anonymousreply 10510/19/2013

[quote]Is "Janet Jackson" even a thing?

Ask all the current pop acts copying her stee-lo. Even Rihanna recently jacked the Rhythm Nation-era style...

by Anonymousreply 10610/19/2013

Go back to the sandbox and play, Debbie. You're obviously not ready to play with the grown folks yet.

by Anonymousreply 10810/19/2013

Bump for TVR's 17th anniversary.

by Anonymousreply 10910/07/2014

Black velvet pig

by Anonymousreply 11010/07/2014

Big fat untalented cow.

by Anonymousreply 11110/07/2014

Haters are fuuny

by Anonymousreply 11210/07/2014

Janet is STILL fabulous.

And you?

by Anonymousreply 11310/07/2014

Her last two albums completely failed and she had to give ALL THAT MONEY BACK TO THE RECORDING LABEL. Then, she was politely shown the door, gurlfriend.

by Anonymousreply 11410/07/2014

Her career really flew off the tracks, didn't it?

by Anonymousreply 11510/07/2014

OP= buys his dog extra expensive dog food as a Christmas present.

by Anonymousreply 11610/07/2014

Her masterpiece?

Her master piece of shit!

by Anonymousreply 11710/08/2014

Velvet Rope absolutely holds up today. This is an amazing album. End of discussion.

by Anonymousreply 11810/08/2014

One of my favorite's by Janet, and the first time I really felt that an R&B artist was speaking to her gay fans. She was singing about lesbian sex, homophobia and she dedicated Together Again to people who lost their lives to AIDS. Not many artist before or since have been this brave.

by Anonymousreply 11910/08/2014

What bullshit, R119. You'll believe any publicity bullshit they put out there that sticks to the wall.

by Anonymousreply 12010/08/2014

Whether you like her or not, you have to admit that it was a very good album. Good luck finding and album these days that has any depth and that has lyrics that actually say something.

by Anonymousreply 12110/08/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!