Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Did you have a teddy bear when you were a little kid?

Mine disappeared one night.

by Anonymousreply 7112/06/2013

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Anonymousreply 110/07/2013

I, myself, did.

Who was responsible for its disappearance, OP? Name names.

by Anonymousreply 210/07/2013

I had (have) a purple dragon. I had some other stuffed animals, but it was the dragon that I loved the most.

by Anonymousreply 310/07/2013

No, I had a Barbie Doll.

Does that count?

by Anonymousreply 410/07/2013

When I was a girl I had a ragdoll only doll I've ever owned.

by Anonymousreply 510/07/2013

I had two. Couldn't sleep without them.

by Anonymousreply 610/07/2013

I had five stuffed animals I slept with every night. I had a scheduled sleeping rotation for each one because I didn't want the same one sleeping on the end all by itself every night.

by Anonymousreply 710/07/2013

R7, how many pencils did you wear out dialing phones as a child?

by Anonymousreply 810/07/2013

Your mother threw it out because it stank up the room.

Go ahead, ask her.

by Anonymousreply 910/07/2013

I hate sleeping with cuddlers. I'm no substitute for your teddy or your mama. GTF away and let me sleep!

by Anonymousreply 1010/07/2013

I had a bunny rabbit.

by Anonymousreply 1110/07/2013

Funny you should say that r9. My mother used the excuse "you peed on it" for throwing away a lot of toys. "Where's my Pluto dog". Threw it out because you peed on it, sure I did and my Egyptian hassock and train set. Either I was peeing all over the place like a tom cat or she was a lazy ass when it came to lies. Ma, why couldn't you just say "that crap was ugly and taking up too much space"?

by Anonymousreply 1210/07/2013

by Anonymousreply 1310/07/2013

I did, and my father, who it turns out was a closet case, made me throw it out when I was in the first grade. My parents did all kinds of shit to prevent me from "turning" gay. None of it worked.

by Anonymousreply 1410/07/2013

I had a kitten, a bunny, a skunk, and some fantasy monster thing called a "nogga".

There might have been a dog in there too. I had an entire bed full of stuffed animals.

I have no idea how old I was when I outgrew them.

by Anonymousreply 1510/07/2013

I had a monkey named Teddy. I didn't realize it wasn't a bear until I was about 5. I still have him. He lives on a bookshelf.

by Anonymousreply 1610/07/2013

I'm embarrassed to admit this but I had a sock, stuffed with old t-shirts and rubber bands to make a head, a body and a bottom. I looked like a snowman. I called him Binky.

by Anonymousreply 1710/07/2013

I had a wind-up puppy who moved his head and played "The Muffin Man".

I irritated an aunt with it during a stay-over and the dog's head became palsied.

by Anonymousreply 1810/07/2013

His name is Barry (yes, I was original), he stands about 14 inches tall, threadbare and clearly loved. He was a gift from my maternal Grandmother when I was about 3. He sits on a shelf in my home office, next to my husband's, whose name is Teddy (I suppose we all had such original ideas).

by Anonymousreply 1910/07/2013

Yes, plus a kitten, a dog, and a horse.

by Anonymousreply 2010/07/2013

Yup! His name was Albert and he had a green jogging suit. He's still at my parents house sitting in a little rocking chair.

by Anonymousreply 2110/07/2013

R22 I remember Albert the Running Bear from The North American Bear Co., first made in 1979. He could be purchased with green, blue, red, or yellow jogging suits (sewn on). Was he a book character as well?

by Anonymousreply 2210/08/2013

Holy shit yes, R23!!! I only omitted the "running" because I just thought it sounded superfluous in this context. I have no clue if he was a book character. I'm so naive, I'm sitting here 30-something years later surprised someone else might have had one. Duh.

by Anonymousreply 2310/08/2013

I had a rock.

by Anonymousreply 2410/08/2013

I had a Matty Mattel . Iwould love to have it now. Their very rare, and valuable.

by Anonymousreply 2510/08/2013

I was forbidden any stuffed toys. It wasn't considered manly by my parents. My 2 sisters had shelves filled with exquisite Steiff bears, figurines, and DOLLS of every description.

It may be why I own 47 Madame Alexander dolls today, four decades later. Or do they... own me?

They are my family.

by Anonymousreply 2610/08/2013

I had a Teddy Ruxpin. Not a regular soft teddy bear.

by Anonymousreply 2710/08/2013

Hooray for Teddy Bears!!!

by Anonymousreply 2810/08/2013

R27 Do your sisters still have their Steiff bears?

by Anonymousreply 2910/08/2013

R24 Albert was the main character in several children's illustrated storybooks written by Barbra Isenberg, owner of North American Bear Co. I had Albert and a couple of the books. If I remember correctly, Albert was sold in different sizes, too. A big Albert 18" or so and a mini at 6-7" tall.

by Anonymousreply 3010/08/2013

My teddy bear was my father. Sad but true.

by Anonymousreply 3110/08/2013

I had a Pet Blanket.

This thread has brought tears to my eyes.

All I wanted was love.

by Anonymousreply 3210/08/2013

I had a bear that was huge and expressionless. It was an ugly POS. Why someone would give it to a child is beyond me. I had nightmares that the bear would stab me while I was sleeping.

by Anonymousreply 3310/08/2013

I was given one, but never bonded with it. I have no memory of ever wanting to sleep with it.

The blanket my Nana made for me on the other hand ...

by Anonymousreply 3410/08/2013

I never had a doll, so I used a hot water bottle filled with water.

Now I have a doll shop in my basement.

by Anonymousreply 3510/08/2013

[quote]Who was responsible for its disappearance, OP?

Who dya think?

by Anonymousreply 3610/08/2013

No, but I had a bolster as a fuck buddy.

by Anonymousreply 3710/08/2013

Next door neighbor knew i had no toys and brought me her daughters hand sewn stuffed rabbit. Stufed with saw dust i slept with him for many years. I recently brought him home from my mothers and he sits on a shelf in my drum room. While been fighting leukemia the past few years thought about taking him to bed but think about the germs. His name is rabbit. He always took care of me at night.

by Anonymousreply 3810/08/2013

Kisses bear.

by Anonymousreply 3910/08/2013

Not a snuggle toy, but I did have Cecil the Sea Serpent, a stuffed seasnake that wrapped around your waist and the head stuck up. He would talk to you when you pulled the little ring.

by Anonymousreply 4010/08/2013

I had tons of stuffed animals. I was really attached to them, and when they'd get too dirty or damaged to keep I'd be heartbroken over it. I'd always be imagining how it would seem from their perspective if they had feelings. It was like my own personal set of Bambi's mother getting killed at the movies moments, except I had those too from all those damn Disney movies. I'm an overly empathetic person. It made it hard to get through childhood.

by Anonymousreply 4110/08/2013

Posting a gentle BUMP.

I want to hear more.....please?

by Anonymousreply 4210/08/2013

That teddy is long gone, but I've had a newer teddy bear and his mother for 30 years. Baby bear travels with me, but otherwise they live in a spare bedroom with Mole, Ratty, Badger, Mr. Toad, and a now-mute Alf. Alf started talking on his own one day and the voice kept getting more and more basso and slow. I rather like him quiet. He always was a smart ass and Badger always wanted to hit him with a stick.

Baby Bear was stolen by a German B&B manager once. I returned to the place and demanded him back "or I shall call the gendarmes." She came out of her cellar with him and threw him at me. He waved good bye to her before I turned and stomped away.

Thanks for asking.

by Anonymousreply 4310/08/2013

Aloysius, of course, and a Paddington.

by Anonymousreply 4410/09/2013

I wish. My parents didn't buy me toys. :(

by Anonymousreply 4510/09/2013

Does Stretch Armstrong count as a bear?

by Anonymousreply 4610/09/2013

I had a one-eyed doll named Fifi. I used to beat her up and Ross her around the room. But every night, I slept with Fifi. She was second hand when I got her (like everything else I owned), so she was always kind of lowbrow, but at night I didn't like to sleep alone, so my punching bag Fifi became my lifeline.

One day I came home from kindergarten and Fifi was gone. I asked my mother to being her back. My mother said no, she'd given Fifi away. I said fine, just get her back now. My mother gave her to some woman she barely knew who had mentioned to my aunt that she needed stuffing for her crafts. My mother volunteered Fifi because "Well, I don't see you playing with her. She refused to call the woman and ask her for my doll, even though I was inconsolable. "She's probably taken her apart by now."

I was seriously freaked out. I needed Fifi to sleep and it never occurred to me that my mother would just nonchalantly hand my only doll over to some stranger when i left the house and then refuse to ask for the doll back because she would feel "too embarrassed."

by Anonymousreply 4710/09/2013

I had a dildo.

by Anonymousreply 4810/09/2013

Sorry, OP, but Teddy Bear was just not that into you.

by Anonymousreply 4910/09/2013

Blessings to you R39.

I had a purple teddy bear when I was four. I left him out in the rain and he was ruined. I still blame my mother because she didn't think to get him for me. In fact it didn't take her long to toss him. I received another bear when I was 12. I still have him and another I sleep with. I'm 49.

by Anonymousreply 5010/09/2013

I had my teddy bear Fernando since I was six years old. Until that little bitch Daisy held him for ransom.

by Anonymousreply 5110/10/2013

I think this is my favorite thread - ever.

by Anonymousreply 5210/10/2013

I had Winnie the Pooh. I think I had a crush on Christopher Robin.

I lost him on vacation but the hotel was nice enough to mail him back to me.

by Anonymousreply 5310/10/2013

I had a stuffed frog named Freddie. My mother gave it to my cousin when I started high school and I didn't miss him because he mostly just sat on a shelf after I was about 12. It would have been nice to give him to my niece though.

by Anonymousreply 5410/10/2013

r42 - What were you doing to those things that you kept wearing them out?

I had a ton of stuffed animals. A few years ago, about a half dozen of them popped up in my mom's basement (no idea where they'd been kept all these years or why she'd taken them along on a few moves with her; she's not a sentimental woman). I wasn't sure what to do with them, but it seemed wrong to throw them away so I put them in a basket in my storage room. Turns out the cat likes to sleep with them. It's kinda heartwarming to see.

by Anonymousreply 5510/10/2013

My mother gave me a stuffed rabbit for Easter when I was two years old. I loved that rabbit; slept with it every night and dragged it around by its ear. But it was the homliest rabbit on this earth. A soft stuffed body and a nasty rubbery plastic ugly face. Its name is Bunny-Rat. I'm not quite sure if it's because I could not pronounce 'rabbit' and said 'rat' instead, or because its face is rat-like.

I still have it. Mom re-stuffed it with some cotton balls and pinned its ears back on. It's on a shelf in the bedroom and I give it a pat on the head every morning.

by Anonymousreply 5610/10/2013

No, but I did have a Talking Bozo.

by Anonymousreply 5710/11/2013

I had a bunny. She (yes, she was and still is, most definitely a "she")was once a bright shade of orange, with pink inner ears. I used to suck my thumb and use my index and middle fingers to hold her under my nose so I could smell her "smell". I still have her, she's in a ziplock bag in my bedside table.

by Anonymousreply 5810/11/2013

R59, why a ziplock bag? To preserve her scent?

R58, do not refer to your ex that way. It's rude.

by Anonymousreply 5910/11/2013

I didn't, but my youngest brother had a complete set of Pooh animals on his bed. One day my older brothers made nooses out of the blind cords and hanged the lot. My brother sobbed for days, but I feel it was a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 6010/11/2013

R61, their actions and your feeling it was a good thing are horrid.

by Anonymousreply 6110/12/2013

I had a JJ Walker doll.

When you pulled the string, it said "Dynomite".

by Anonymousreply 6210/12/2013

I had a Mod Haired Ken but he was a disappointment because I couldn't fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 6310/12/2013

No, nothing, my needs were never met as a child. That's why my son has a lot of stuff.

He has a favorite stuffed dog he sleeps with and soft blue blanket he likes over his face.

by Anonymousreply 6410/12/2013

That's lovely. I bet he sleeps well.

by Anonymousreply 6510/12/2013

Thanks Cackle

by Anonymousreply 6610/12/2013

Much loved teddy bears - in pictures

Award-winning Dublin-based portrait photographer Mark Nixon has created a whimsical and nostalgic collection of images of individual teddy bears that are battered and worn from years of play, in a new book called Much Loved from Abrams & Chronicle Books

by Anonymousreply 6710/29/2013

[quote]I didn't, but my youngest brother had a complete set of Pooh animals on his bed. One day my older brothers made nooses out of the blind cords and hanged the lot. My brother sobbed for days, but I feel it was a good thing.

I bet there are many that think this way... and yet go on the Sedaris thread and bash those siblings for not being more kind and understanding.

by Anonymousreply 6810/29/2013

When I get to heaven, I bet my teddy bear is waiting for me,

by Anonymousreply 6912/05/2013

I'm sure it just went to live on a farm...with my cat who disappeared one day. Right, Mom & Dad?

by Anonymousreply 7012/06/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!