Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

16 Ways Europeans Are Just Better At Life

From health care to vacation time to life expectancy to chocolate:

by Anonymousreply 28411/04/2013

Europeans seem to enjoy life more with food being the center of all social activities. And the don't rush through everything.

by Anonymousreply 110/07/2013

You would have to be utterly crazy to think American cheese and chocolate is as good as European.

Yes, I expect the top end and boutique American products are absolutely excellent. But the difference in quality of what is generally available and used is massive.

Shopping in a US supermarket, I just gave up on trying to buy cheese. There was hardly any choice and all of it was bland.

Mass-market chocolate is even worse - most US chocolate is absolutely foul and tastes rancid. It is hard to imagine a country having worse chocolate than the British Cadburies type of stuff but the US has managed to do it. The rest of Europe does fantastic, proper chocolate and usually that's what is widely available.

by Anonymousreply 310/07/2013

The article is crap and built on a faulty premise - "Europe" isn't a monolithic culture by any means.

I've lived in Germany and the U.S. and they both have positive and negative aspects.

by Anonymousreply 410/07/2013

[quote]Mass-market chocolate is even worse - most US chocolate is absolutely foul and tastes rancid

But American cakes are the best. You even get brownies and carrot cake everywhere in France now. Same for American Ice Cream.

American style restaurants are always tremendously popular in Europe and rarely (never) as good as they are in the USA.

Europeans are obsessed with America and things American.

Americans do work too hard. You always hear them saying 'He's a hard worker!' and that seems to be the greatest thing you can say about a person in the USA.

by Anonymousreply 510/07/2013

R2

Wow, you fit exactly the stereotype of an uneducated, dumb and ignorant American that Europeans laugh about.

by Anonymousreply 610/07/2013

I lived in France - some things about France that are perfect (food, fashion, cafe life, sex), some that aren't (cost of living, street crime). The US can be a VERY tough place, particularly for newcomers. So many variables. I'd never replace that time in France even if I could, but I'm okay with not living there permanently, though if I had to, I'd probably end up happier than I am in a US in which it has become harder than ever to make a living.

by Anonymousreply 710/07/2013

[quote]Shopping in a US supermarket, I just gave up on trying to buy cheese. There was hardly any choice and all of it was bland.

That's why you buy at Farmer's markets. Mine has delicious locally made goat cheese and pepper laced mozzarellas and Mont Jack's.

by Anonymousreply 810/07/2013

Most of the YOUNG Europeans I've met prefer the US in most things. They like fast food and find the US food TV shows funny. They'd rather drive their own cars than take public transportation. European entertainment media to them is a pale imitation of the real thing (American). They hate old castles, the old class system, their native language (surprisingly), their native food, the clothes back home, etc.

All of this reminded me of the Japanese student I knew years, who drove a classical Ford Mustang. He couldn't understand why Americans drove the tiny cars back in Japan, instead of the nice cushy, roomy Detroit ones (I like the 1930s Packard-look myself). No Ford trolls, please.

I realize we need univeral health care and more labor unions in the US, among many other things. But concerning culture in general, America is where it's at as far as youth on this planet are concerned. That article link would make most of these young people laugh. Anyone taking that article seriously is a European showing their age.

by Anonymousreply 910/07/2013

Well young Europeans are not grown ups yet. All youngsters do and think stupid things.

by Anonymousreply 1010/07/2013

R8, yes but the point I was making was in most of Europe, you wouldn't need to shop at a farmer's market. Any ordinary supermarket will carry a decent range (although unfortunately plastic cheese is also available). Since most cheese is sold that via supermarkets, that means that overall the quality will be higher in Europe.

I expect Farmer's markets are good and have good local stuff on both the US and Europe. I was including those in "top end and boutique" in my post. That pepper laced mozazarella sounds nice.

by Anonymousreply 1110/07/2013

R9, you really are talking crap.

Back in Europe, young (and old) Europeans are delighted to be able to take pretty good public transport rather than drive everywhere and we have our own thriving indigenous cultures, thank you very much. We like our castles and our history and all our old stuff and realise that the reason Americans can sound rather naive and simplistic is because they don't have that same sense of history and depth, which gives them a fairly superficial view of the rest of the world.

We also like our food culture and don't all want to eat crappy, greasy, shitty-tasting burgers.

Can somebody explain why almost every day for the past week there's been a story of a horrific death or horrific attack coming out of the USA?

Oh, and with what's going on with your government right now, trust me, no European would prefer your political system over our ones.

Lists like the one OP put up are never particularly sensible. There are a lot of good things about the US, and a lot of crappy things too - the stupidity of people like r9, being one example.

by Anonymousreply 1210/07/2013

Wegman's Pennsylvania brie.... OMG.

by Anonymousreply 1410/07/2013

Most stores in the US carry a wide selection of imported cheeses. The Signature Kroger near me has a great import section.

by Anonymousreply 1510/07/2013

Siesta

by Anonymousreply 1610/07/2013

Anything from Pennsylvania is superior. Candies, sweets and furniture. That state runs on old country values. Vermont cheese is of a world class nature competing with north of the border Montreal.

by Anonymousreply 1710/07/2013

R11, is that Laughing Cow Cheese Spread Medallions really a French favorite? I'm not buying their packaging schtick. Terrible product.

by Anonymousreply 1810/07/2013

Laughing Cow is just proof that marketing can sell rubbish to kids anywhere in the world. It's just French Dairy Lea and thought of as such. It's not real cheese, it's the same category of product as Kraft singles or whatever.

by Anonymousreply 1910/07/2013

Americans need to come up with highfalutin names as artisinal for decent cheese. Europeans just call it cheese, anything else is called plastic. LOL

by Anonymousreply 2010/07/2013

Correct R13, the Mexicans rule chocolate and make the BEST spice drops and sour cherries by CVS brand. Cocoa butter is delicious and good for you and Hershey's originated in Pennsylvania Pride country.

by Anonymousreply 2110/07/2013

Yes I'm sure many of the mistreated African and Muslim immigrants would say Europe is a utopia. The discrimination they face is acceptable because Europe "has history" and "advanced culture".

by Anonymousreply 2210/07/2013

German pizza and toilet paper are terrible across the board. Here in the States, I can go down the street to Walgreens and buy Ferrero Rocher, Lindt, Ritter Sport, Milka, etc. And any decent supermarket here will carry all the cheese, import beers & wine one needs. I can't think of any product I miss after spending 8 years in Germany...but I sure missed a lot of US items when I was there!

by Anonymousreply 2310/07/2013

R23....Ferrero Rocher, Lindt, Ritter Sport, Milka.... if that's the American idea of a variety of chocolates than you really need to go abroad and experience chocolate shops in Belgium & Switzerland.

American's have an obsessive need for brands, I saw one reply criticizing farmer's markets when in America you ca just go to the supermarket. Farmer's markets are an amazing experience and a way of supporting local businesses whereas Americans only want to support corporate chains.

by Anonymousreply 2410/07/2013

The list forgot something: no one does the Eurotrash look better than Europeans. Americans can't compete with that.

by Anonymousreply 2510/07/2013

I mentioned those mainstream brands because R3 stated "The rest of Europe does fantastic, proper chocolate and usually that's what is widely available." The point is, those brands are just as widely available here. The typical German eats mostly Ritter Sport and Kinderschokolade (yes, even the adults) - they aren't buying the high-end stuff unless it's a special occasion. BTW, we have fine chocolatiers in the US too.

by Anonymousreply 2610/07/2013

R3, Wisconsin and Vermont make some excellent cheeses. And the US has boutique chocolate companies that produce very good chocolate as well. Maybe you need to get out more.

by Anonymousreply 2710/07/2013

R23

No way the US imports all European cheeses. There are more than 1000 different cheeses manufactured in Europe. Most Americans are only familiar with the most famous ones like Parmesano Reggiano, Gruyere, Gouda, maybe Manchego, if they are a bit more sophisticated with food. American stores wouldn't have a clue how to handle most cheeses.

by Anonymousreply 2810/07/2013

R2 / R13

LOLOLOLOL! Comedy posts of the year.

American chocolate is the worst. It shouldn't even be allowed to be called chocolate. Europeans would be thrown into prison for producing this abomination and selling it as chocolate.

Even the worst, cheapest European chocolate is a whole dimension better than the best American chocolate. I can't even express how shocked and disgusted I was when I first came to the US to live there for some time and tried some chocolate. I fully agree with R3, it tastes rancid and foul, as if someone put some really bad cocoa powder in some wax. The aftertaste is even worse.

R23 German pizza is Italien pizza. There is no difference to the pizza you get in Italy, because it is monstly made by Italians in their original style.

You probably think the sweet, fat-loaded, fluffy things you call pizza in the USA are authentic?

[quote]The typical German eats mostly Ritter Sport and Kinderschokolade (yes, even the adults) - they aren't buying the high-end stuff unless it's a special occasion.

What a load of nonsense. What you consider high-end stuff in the US is just regular, cheap to moderately priced chocolate that people buy all the time.

by Anonymousreply 2910/07/2013

R27 Yeah, but in Europe you get the same and better quality in every crappy supermarket and for much less.

by Anonymousreply 3010/07/2013

TY R19. I will agree with you that many French products can't be topped. You have to give it to them.

by Anonymousreply 3110/07/2013

No, R29. Pay attention. I said those brands are available everywhere. I did NOT call them "high end."

German pizza is atrocious, especially embarrassing because the country is located right next to Italy. They throw kidney beans, barbecue sauce and corn on top and call it "Pizza Texas." Or tuna and onions for "Pizza Alaska."(!) All on a sad, inedible disc of cardboard. If you can't tell the difference between the abomination that is German "pizza" and a proper Italian pizza, your opinion on anything else with regards to food is invalid.

by Anonymousreply 3210/07/2013

R32

You went to the pizzeria that is targeting American tourists.

And no, Switzerland, Austria and Lichtenstein separate Italy from Germany, geographically.

Typical Germans mostly eat Lindt or locally produced chocolate.

You need to broaden your horizon! - and looking beyond the borders of the US every now and then would also do you good.

by Anonymousreply 3310/07/2013

[quote]German pizza is atrocious, especially embarrassing because the country is located right next to Italy. They throw kidney beans, barbecue sauce and corn on top and call it "Pizza Texas." Or tuna and onions for "Pizza Alaska."(!) All on a sad, inedible disc of cardboard. If you can't tell the difference between the abomination that is German "pizza" and a proper Italian pizza, your opinion on anything else with regards to food is invalid.

Sounds like the repulsive fuckery that passes for pizza in Asia.

by Anonymousreply 3410/07/2013

Choclit!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 3510/07/2013

Germany is right next to Italy?

by Anonymousreply 3610/07/2013

[quote]All youngsters do and think stupid things.

Smug, US-bashing Europeans are bad enough, but there's nothing worse than an American who spends some time in Europe and comes back to the US with his nose in the air.

by Anonymousreply 3710/07/2013

Hear ya. German food taste like burnt rubber. Especially their sausages. The Alsatian part is different. An exemption. Let's leave the Anglo Saxons out of all this food chat.

by Anonymousreply 3810/07/2013

[quote] It is hard to imagine a country having worse chocolate than the British Cadburies type of stuff

Bitch, you did not just say that.

by Anonymousreply 3910/07/2013

Just give me Toblerone and I'm happy.

by Anonymousreply 4010/07/2013

Does mean I should try all of those random European brand foods at Aldi?

by Anonymousreply 4110/07/2013

Toblerone is delicious. I believe it's what comes out of Nick Jonas's ass.

by Anonymousreply 4210/07/2013

If you love them so much, why don't you marry them?

by Anonymousreply 4310/07/2013

Galaxy. And Fry's Orange Cream chocolate bars. And no, I'm not fat.

by Anonymousreply 4410/07/2013

Europeans smoke and drink more than Americans

by Anonymousreply 4510/07/2013

[quote]It is hard to imagine a country having worse chocolate than the British Cadburies type of stuff

The quality has gone down noticeably since it was taken over by Americans, so you might be onto something there, R3.

by Anonymousreply 4610/07/2013

Yeah, British chocolate like Cadburys is pretty poor quality. You don't want to go any further down market than that. Still, it tastes ambrosial by comparison with Hersheys. The first time I tasted that I was sure it was rancid. And in fact it was in a way. The patented "Hershey Process" which they use to make it allows them to be less concerned with the freshness of the milk, but it gives the chocolate that characteristic vomit / rancid butter aftertaste. Swiss and Belgian chocolate are a world away, and Italian is not bad either.

Incidentally, chocolate in its solid form was invented in Europe, not America.

by Anonymousreply 4710/07/2013

[quote] Still, it tastes ambrosial by comparison with Hersheys.

Respect the people that gave us Reese's.

by Anonymousreply 4810/07/2013

R13 gives the impression that has tried every cheese in Europe and just knows that American cheeses are far superior. As for chocolate, it's not actually us, the Europeans, who bang on about how much better our chocolate is. We couldn't care less what chocolate you make. It's your fellow Americans who point out the difference in quality.

Here's one interesting difference between Europeans and Americans: Europeans don't create these stupid lists about "what's better in Europe than in America" or "10 things you can find in the US but not in Europe". Seems to be a very American thing. Do you have some kind of inferiority complex?

by Anonymousreply 4910/08/2013

DL has an American Cheese troll?

Random!

by Anonymousreply 5010/08/2013

Euros with their love of disgusting, smelly, vulgar and cancer-causing smoking and laziness about tooth health can be repulsive.

by Anonymousreply 5110/08/2013

You can add coffee to the list. American coffee is swill compared to Italian coffee.

by Anonymousreply 5210/08/2013

The thing that shocked me when I first tasted Hersheys before spitting it out wasn't the fact that it wasn't chocolate -- it was the added salt! But yes, it's amazing that they can actually call it chocolate.

I was also surprised how much the famed American junk snack brands (Twinkies, etc) -- because of fructose and other additive additives, taste significantly crappier than than those of other countries. I was expecting best of class, and really, they weren't. Maybe they once were, but the chemists got to them. In New Zealand, for example, even Cadburys chocolate tastes good because it's a better quality of formulation.

by Anonymousreply 5310/08/2013

[quote]If you love them so much, why don't you marry them?

Spoken like the true lovechild of a redneck and a frau, r43

by Anonymousreply 5410/08/2013

All this talk of food and yet how do Scandinavians and most non-Mediterranean European countries in general account for their awful, bland cuisines? Light years away from the flavors of Latin, Middle Eastern or Asian cuisines?

by Anonymousreply 5510/08/2013

That's the problem with lumping all European countries together like this article does, r55, as if they were one homogeneous continent. Italian cuisine is deliciously tasty, so is French cuisine if in an altogether different way but Italians will find it too heavy or unhealthy (by their standards at least, by U.S. standards it's practically macrobiotic). Scandinavian cooking is neither heavy nor tasty by anyone else's standards.

by Anonymousreply 5610/08/2013

The French, Spanish & Italian editions of Vanity Fair. So much better than Nana Graydon's Kennedy mag.

by Anonymousreply 5710/08/2013

R51

Honey, you confuse pulling healthy teeth and bleaching them to death to achieve a boring and generic Ken doll smile with healthy teeth, which is usually the case for Europeans because their healthcare includes dental care. But that seems to be a common American misconception. Not to mention that I've never seen worse teeth in the USA because millions can't afford to see the dentist. Ever. I don't even know how many Americans die every year from infections in their mouth. You know, one of these 3rd world problems?

Anyway, love all the butthurt Americans here who can't cope with the idea that many countries are doing better than them. For caring all about freedom you guys certainly only seem to concede that to the 10% that own 80% of US wealth. Apparently the rest can go and fuck itself. Pushovers...

R53 Seriously, is there any "chocolate" worse than Hersheys?

by Anonymousreply 5810/08/2013

R32 You pay attention. The brands available in the US are not high-end, just cheap chocolate and even the worst is still better than American chocolate of similar status. When I asked for recommendations pretty much every Americans said Hersheys and it's absolutely disgusting, just like most cheap American chocolate. But what to expect of a culture that produces "cheese" resembling plastic? In Europe you don't need to go to a farmers market to get eadable cheese.

LOL Sorry dude, but than the Italien sellers noticed you were American. Or you are just making it up. Pizza Texas, Pizza Alaska? I've been to Italy many times, got Italien relatives and I have never encountered pizza like that in Italy or Germany.

I'm sorry man, but the things they call pizza in the USA has nothing, nada, to do with Italien pizza.

Oh wait, did you mean frozen pizza? Because then you bough "American style" pizza. Yeah, it is that bad.

by Anonymousreply 5910/08/2013

I will say American coffee, the good stuff, is really good and one thing I miss when I travel to Europe. I also love the convenience of America and the variety. You have to admit, we have a great variety of food. However, I love Europe and wish to live there someday. I love the pace of life and the climate near the Med. I need to live in the South of France, Italy or Greece, someday.

by Anonymousreply 6010/08/2013

Relax, it's just chocolate.

by Anonymousreply 6110/08/2013

My first and last experience with Cadbury's was I bought some chocolates as a snack, and it gave me the most horrendous gas, ugh. It was actually painful, and I won't touch chocolate now without knowing its source.

by Anonymousreply 6210/08/2013

It's hard to believe Europeans have any taste buds at all considering they smoke like chimneys.

by Anonymousreply 6410/08/2013

Have you been to Paris R1?

by Anonymousreply 6610/08/2013

R66 nailed it!

by Anonymousreply 6710/08/2013

This xenophilia on both sides of the Atlantic is stupid. There are wonderful things about the EC and the US. I think at one time our chocolate was probably decent but once the agri-synthetic food complex got hold of it, it was a goner. And I do envy Europe's mass transportation. In some ways, the US suffers because it became a magnet to those who were comfortable with slavery, religious intolerance and robber baron capitalism and implemented those values. That's the legacy of US exceptionalism that strangles us today and thinks nothing of shutting down the government and defaulting on the national debt.

by Anonymousreply 6810/08/2013

Blah blah blah R68. Politics is for nasty small minded limited capacity people in every country.

That's why the system matters so much. But the American system has been thoroughly corrupted and is so resistant to change that it cannot seem to make the adjustments the contemporary world demands. We are told we "won" the Cold War, but this is a lie: the Cold War is far from over and we are presently getting our butts kicked by China, who have neutralized the submarine leg of our nuclear safety triad with help from the Bushes, and while Russia's military prowess seems to have faded, its abilities at economic sabotage have grown dramatically with the arrogance of its billionaire class. Parliamentary systems really are better because even though 90% of governing innovations are bad ideas, the contemporary world moves too fast for a system as corrupt and change-proof as America's.

by Anonymousreply 6910/08/2013

I saw a t.v. program where a bunch of Brits were given American junk food. They liked almost everything, and their favorite? Hot spicy Cheetos.

by Anonymousreply 7010/08/2013

And for that end to WWII thing, R58, you're welcome.

by Anonymousreply 7110/08/2013

Мы выиграли войну, R71

by Anonymousreply 7210/08/2013

[quote]Castles are a legacy of oppresion and nothing to brag about.

GET OFF your high-horse, honey, you're ugly!!!!

by Anonymousreply 7310/08/2013

R70, obviously the "bunch of Brits" you saw on a TV show (such things NEVER being manipulated for entertainment value, ever) would be representative of ALL Brits. *eye roll*

by Anonymousreply 7410/08/2013

The television in europe is bad.

by Anonymousreply 7510/08/2013

They don't HAVE television in France. It was bombed out in WWII. They don't have refrigerators either, for the same reason.

by Anonymousreply 7610/08/2013

R63

Jealous of what? The USA's insane murder, homicide, rape, gun crime, fatal car accident, teenage pregnancy and STD infection rates? You crazy wealth and income inequality? Your lack of labor rights? Your terrible healthcare and social system? Your corrupt politicians that work for only 1-10% of the population? Your air pollution? Your obesity rates? Your terrible food? Lack of culture? Lack of gay rights? Religion meddling with everything? High incarceration and recidivism rates? Censorship of the media? Your childish attitude towards nudity, sexuality and swearing? You being monitored by your government? Your government that wastes your tax money on wars? Your crappy and unfair education system? Faux News? Being criminalized for public drinking and nudity, pot smoking and prostitution?

Honey, I think you are projecting. But I know it is difficult for many Americans to even entertain the thought that your countries sucks on many levels and others are doing it better. The USA also has some good sides, absolutely. But mainly for the rich to enjoy. And if you are not keeping an eye on big business and the politicians it buys you might manage to destory that wonderful nature your got in some areas of the country as well.

by Anonymousreply 7710/08/2013

R64 Hm, weird. Then why is the USA on place 51 in cigarette consumption worldwide and a whole bunch of European countries have similar or lower rates than you? 13 European countries smoke less than the US chimneys and another 5 have almost identical rates.

You know who smokes the most? Eastern Europeans, Russians, South Koreans and the Japanese.

Funny how the article mainly refers to Northern, Western and Central Europe and how they smoke less or just as much as American...

It's almost as if you are full of shit and making it up while you go along. Hmmm...

by Anonymousreply 7810/08/2013

Europeans don't barbarically mutilate their boys' penises.

by Anonymousreply 7910/08/2013

[quote]All of this reminded me of the Japanese student I knew years, who drove a classical Ford Mustang. He couldn't understand why Americans drove the tiny cars back in Japan.

Most popular car in Japan? Buick.

by Anonymousreply 8010/08/2013

Europeans work to live. Americans live to work.

by Anonymousreply 8110/08/2013

R70, I saw the same (or a similar) show. The test subjects were young English women. On the one I watched, they hated most of our junk food. And while they initially hated the smell of Crunchy Cheetos, they loved the taste. That was the [italic] only [/italic] one they really liked, but my recollection may not be entirely accurate. Here's a link that I'm too lazy to watch again.

by Anonymousreply 8210/08/2013

A decade ago I met a nice young man from southern France. I knew nothing about the place but the usual tourist propaganda.

But it was impossible to get a positive response from him about his native land. Southern France was merely "a good place to die." His ironic tone indicated to me he left off "as any." It was the psychology of the place that appalled him.

He was a very handsome, blond-hair, blue eyed fellow fit for the cover of GQ. So it wasn't personal bigotry toward him, but toward others. Apparently there's a sort of superman notion in France. Only French are fully human with the divine spark from heaven. It doesn't matter if you're the poorest Romani or upper-class English---you are garbage. Even being Catholic isn't enough in their eyes. In fact the world would be better off if the Vatican was moved to France. After all, God is French and made this world as the dominion of the His people. The rest of us are wildlife roaming in the park.

He also disapproved of those TV shows proselyting "French cooking." He could never understand why anyone who want to either eat or live like a French farm wife. Ever try to clean a tin-lined copper pot? And the young man hated wine, the drink of the geriatric. Beer is the drink of people who live in the real world.

Going down the list of things French that non-French admire, according to him:

Proust was pretentious nonsense. New Wave films were a waste of film. French couture was for airheads with too much money to spend. French cars? Ha-ha.

He thought learning French was a sad waste of time and really discouraged me to try to learn it. Too complicated. English was the language of the future.

I had to disagree with much of this, if only to be optimistic about our fellow human beings.

But for the young man from southern France, the US, despite all its faults, was the best place to be on earth.

by Anonymousreply 8310/08/2013

And you, yours, comrade R72!

by Anonymousreply 8410/08/2013

R83, French people come to the US where everyone rolls out the red carpet for them - why WOULDN'T they think the US is a terrific place? If you went to France and they treated you that way, you'd be like one of the WWII GI's who thought France was the best place ever (or second one to the US).

by Anonymousreply 8510/08/2013

r85, since you lived in France, I must defer to you. But perhaps the French liked you better than average.

To balance out my previous post, there is a book I intend to read, "What Soldiers Do: Sex and the American G.I. in World War II France," which might explain part of the French attitude toward Americans.

by Anonymousreply 8610/08/2013

R80 The most popular cars in Japan are Japanese brands.

by Anonymousreply 8710/08/2013

I love how Euros criticize America for its history of racism and segregation when countries like England, Belgium, Holland, France and even Portugal treated Africa and its people so vile and so inhumane. And when they pulled out of Africa, they took their money and power with them. And now they hate on the immigrants who come looking for a better life.

Plus most of them have horrific hygiene.

We had a guy on my naval frigate - a French transplant. They practically had to beat him to make him wash his funky ass. And he was a mess cook - who wants some stank bastard cooking their food?

by Anonymousreply 8910/08/2013

R88 is a butthurt American who can't deal with his country not being no 1, not even close, in most aspects other than negative things. :)

The USA is the one western country that comes closest to medival feudalism. Only that your royals are the rich 1-10%. While Europe provides wealth and income equality, the USA is one of the worst countries in the world in that respect. And the 90% of Americans who just own a pathetic 20% of all American wealth are acting like medival European peasants in indentured servitude, letting their masters exploit them and even cheer them on because they have been led to believe it is their place (and that they can all totally become one of the 1% LOL) and they are not entitled to get something back for their tax money.

Yes, let's talk about teeth. Europeans tend to have healthy theeth and don't give a crap about your generic, plastic, boring looking idea of a Ken doll grin. Dozens of millions of Americans can't even afford to go to the dentist and in the short time I lived in the USA I saw (and smelled) more Americans with horrible rotten, incomplete and unhealthy teeth than in my whole life in Europe.

American culture is like American fastfood. Mostly pure rubbish and bad for you but degraded to the least common denominator.

And LOL, coming from the country that treats blacks and mexicans like shit, scum and slaves and lets a huge percentage of these ethnicities literally suffer in poverty and be subjected to racism in the justice system? Precious.

As for muslim terrorists, last time I checked these guys killed thousands of people with terror attacks in the USA, not Europe.

by Anonymousreply 9010/08/2013

R73=sipping mint julep on the verandah of his slave-built plan-tation in Jawjuh.

by Anonymousreply 9110/08/2013

See what you did, OP?

I hope you're happy.

by Anonymousreply 9210/08/2013

R90/R87 is the most tedious, insecure troll on this thread. What country in Europe, exactly, are you from?

And who the hell even identifies themselves based off of the continent they live in? Americans (citizens of the U.S.) certainly don't identify themselves as "North American"; nor do Canadians or Mexicans. Japanese and Chinese people don't quantify themselves as "Asian," but rather their own unique cultures.

Why do people in Europe feel the need to describe themselves as "European" and clump themselves as one mass entity?

by Anonymousreply 9310/09/2013

The U.S. has many, many flaws, but Europe is old, obsolete and on the verge of being overtaken by Muslim culture. Europeans of certain countries: How exactly can you wag that finger of moral superiority at the U.S., when you, yourselves, have such an unfinished, atrocious history of genocide, colonialism, and racism. Yes, the U.S. also has the same gory past, but yours is even more vast in scope and ignored.

Everyone else: Look to Asia and Latin America if you want a glimpse of the youthful future.

by Anonymousreply 9410/09/2013

R93 I know, it is annoying to have all your bullshit about Europe refuted and pointed out that Americans smoke more or as much as Europeans and often have the most horrible teeth. Annoying that you can't just make shit up while you go along...

R94 Yeah, the biggest economy in the world is obsolete. Dream on, honey. And muslims are a tiny minority in Europe so no luck there for you either. The USA on the other hand will have a white minority in the not so far future. Not that this is a bad thing. Maybe certain people will get a taste of their own medicine then.

How we can wag the finger at you? Oh, lets see. Because it is a past we have learned from while the USA is still as we are speaking attacking countries left and right since decades, leaving them in chaos, provoking terror attacks of unprecendented number and scale in a spectacularly failed war in terror, spitting on the Geneva Conventions, torturing people, wasting natural resources, paying jackshit on foreign aid per capita, exploiting 90% of their own population because most politicians have been bought by big business, spying on them and using prisoners as slave workers.

It seem you haven't learned anything. Or maybe your greedy rich 1% and politicians just don't give a fuck and as long as all the unnecessary wars keep the oil coming and the giant US war industry alive things are fine.

by Anonymousreply 9510/09/2013

R94 Germany is making compensation payments to Israel. The US never payed a red penny for all the shit they did to Native Indians, Blacks, Japanese, Vietnamese, Iraqis ..........

by Anonymousreply 9610/09/2013

Bump for the right way to live

by Anonymousreply 9710/09/2013

The right way to live.

Disagree and you belong to the Dark Ages.

by Anonymousreply 9810/09/2013

I live in France and have lived in other countries in Europe. We don't as a rule describe ourselves as 'European' but as French, German, British, etc. Perhaps posters are using European as that's the terminology being used in this thread in general but it's not commonly used, and actually here it's considered one of the main ways to know if someone is American, is they refer to Europe/Europeans as a single entity.

by Anonymousreply 9910/09/2013

I lived in the US (in NYC) for a year. Some of the finest restaurants in the world, but most grocery store food, outside of making special trips to places like Whole Foods, is dire. Cheese that even vaguely resembles real cheese is impossible to find in grocery stores, you have to go to a specialist store. (Any large/chain grocery store in France or Britain will have a massive cheese aisle with all kinds of what would be considered artisan cheeses, proper cheeses from France, Italy, etc, and even the smallest supermarkets will have proper cheddar, brie, etc.)

I found it very hard get natural food as so much US grocery store food is modified, whether by GM ingredients, trans fats, HFCS rather than real sugar, and just added sugar/HFCS in everything. American pre-packaged bread tastes like cake compared to pre-packaged bread in other countries because it has so much sugar added to it, and the grocery stores where I lived in Brooklyn only sold one kind of fruit juice (which was the most expensive) that was 100% pure, unadulterated fruit juice. The others, from the front label you'd assume they were pure fruit juice but looking at the ingredients all had added sugar and/or fish oils. In Britain, France and all the other countries I've lived, all fruit juice is 100% pure and unadulterated, and the sugary fake stuff is in a separate aisle and could never be confused for proper juice.

I do adore Reeses products, though. I do love Cadburys though their products are insanely sweet and I can see why those not used to it would dislike it (the Simpsons did a bit once about British candy being so much sweeter and stronger than American). The kind of stuff you can buy in grocery stores/supermarkets in France or even Britain is much higher quality than in most US stores, you can buy high end chocolate (like Green and Black) anywhere in Britain.

by Anonymousreply 10010/09/2013

Notice R95 does not give away where she's from. I'm very curious? Hmmmmmm?

by Anonymousreply 10110/09/2013

R100 Lived in NYC for some time aswell and made the same experience. Although I couldn't eat any Reeses stuff without feeling sick after a few bites.

R101 I'm from Germany. Lived in a couple of European countries, Japan and the US so far. Hitler Red Herring in 3, 2, 1...

I bet the racist Europe hater troll smokes like a chimney and has rotten teeth. Projecting like mad. And is probably the same psycho that ranted on about so-called lack of gay-rights in Germany while living in one of the most, if not the most anti-gay western country.

by Anonymousreply 10210/09/2013

I blame Switzerland.

by Anonymousreply 10310/09/2013

[quote]And muslims are a tiny minority in Europe.

Percentage of Muslims in US: 0.8% France: 7.5% UK: 4.6% Netherlands: 5.5% Sweden: 4.9% Switzerland: 5.7%

by Anonymousreply 10410/09/2013

Who gives a shit about cheese? There are good and bad aspects of both American and "European" life. But Eurogay life seems very different from America (at least NY). I was at Prague Pride this past summer and it was like a church social compared to what I'm used to.

by Anonymousreply 10510/09/2013

I've been to Prague and it was boring. Part of that is because if you are gay, you don't stay in Prague - you go to Berlin or London - New York is to DC what Berlin is to Prague, in other words.

by Anonymousreply 10610/09/2013

"Who gives a shit about cheese?"

Eat shit and die Lactose intolerant boy.

by Anonymousreply 10710/09/2013

Better quality cheeses are readily available in any supermarket where I am located, which is Bucks County, PA. This is not fly-over turf. True, the American-made Brie is nearly always a joke, but there are wonderful imported cheeses from which to choose.

The local Italian deli has so many varieties of artisanal cheeses it would take months to sample them all. I am working on it, however!

Flyover country is another story. YUCK! No selection.

by Anonymousreply 10810/09/2013

R106, sorry kid but you clearly know nothing about NY, DC or Prague. Next time you fly in for a visit, try leaving Times Sq / the National Mall / Staromestske Namesti.

by Anonymousreply 10910/09/2013

That Euro troll out of control. What an insecure dolt. Let's check-which rate is higher: Europeans moving permanently to the US, or Americans moving permanently to Europe?

and LOL at being German. Traditional German food is horrible.

by Anonymousreply 11010/09/2013

We also have wonderful chocolates in the USA, but they are often made at candy shops. Even so, some of the European brands are also available at the local chain pharmacies. Heck, the dollar store sometimes stocks them.

As for the cheese, we really do have more than Feta, Manchego, Brie, Gouda, authentic Provolone etc. In fact, I never tasted Velveeta until I was over 50. I bought it to taste it and see what it was all about. It went into the trash.

The local supermarket now has an olive bar with an impressive selection of olives. Many of the "boutique" foods are more abundant in the supermarkets. And the local cider and sweet white corn...OMG!

The local average supermarkets now carry better types of crusty, unsliced, Italian-style breads that rival the best Italian bakery. It is nice to see. And I know that it is extremely good bread, I am of Italian heritage.

The point is that things have changed here in the USA, in many ways, at least in many places. Even in a very rural place in Ohio I was able to enjoy a wonderful coffee shop that did NOT serve swill and fast food, although as everywhere else fast food joints were available. We have more choice, and more awareness of quality concerning food.Sure, we have our junk food and culinary flaws. We are not eating just American cheese-food product. We now have better cheeses, both domestically made as well as imported. I agree, Hershey bars ARE sour and gross compared to better quality chocolates. We have, however, access to better chocolate in most places, and are more discriminating in our choices concerning food.

And speaking of coffee, even Mcdonalds coffee is now better. I just go to the local coffee shop where they roast their own beans. No swill there. Amazing coffee drinks of all sorts sold by people who know and CARE about what they are doing.

by Anonymousreply 11110/09/2013

Fancy German food.

by Anonymousreply 11210/09/2013

It looks even better when you open the can.

by Anonymousreply 11310/09/2013

lol R112 / R113 that is vile-looking. Germans really eat that shit?

by Anonymousreply 11410/09/2013

I can has canned cheezzzzburger!

by Anonymousreply 11510/09/2013

Germany has more Michelin star restaurants than the US, which is funny since the US is 10 times bigger in size and in population.

The US tops the list of most obese persons. I guess quantity is not necessary related to quality.

The US is not the worst in terms of sophisticated food though, Australia and England are far worse.

by Anonymousreply 11610/10/2013

For whatever it's worth, I've been in Germany the last two weeks, and every store in every train station has a gigantic display of Pringles in a wonderland of different flavors. I assume the Germans must think pretty highly of them.

I noticed they were the snack of choice on the plane coming over, but I chalked that up to aggressive marketing at O'Hare Airport.

by Anonymousreply 11710/10/2013

116 Australia has a great food culture. Chefs are greatly respected there and because it is so multicultural there are a dearth of amazing restaurants.

by Anonymousreply 11810/10/2013

Um, R118, you might want to look up the meaning fo "dearth".

by Anonymousreply 11910/10/2013

How about Europeans wanting to charge you to take a piss? How civilized is that nonsense?

by Anonymousreply 12010/10/2013

Yes, R120, but you get a lovely poop shelf to inspect your deed.

by Anonymousreply 12110/10/2013

America is probably better if you are very rich, with a few exceptions like Monte Carlo, Switzerland, Luxembourg or the wealthiest parts of London and Paris, but Europe is better for the average Joe. If you are unemployed in France, Germany, Scandinavia or the UK you will get untimelimited benefits, housing benefit, free healthcare etc. In America after a few months you will be reliant on food stamps or down to the foodbank (yes I know Europe has seen a growth in foodbanks but not to the extent of the US).

America has better universities, although the UK comes close, but Europe has better schools. Europe also has a heritage the US cannot match, and of course most Americans can trace their ancestry back to Europe anyway! Americans travelling to Europe are just returning to the family home

by Anonymousreply 12210/10/2013

Australia has zero Michelin star restaurants, if the Italians, Spanish and Asians had not migrated, Aussies would still eat spaghetti in the can and cheese would be known only as either tasty or mild.

by Anonymousreply 12310/10/2013

R124 Your statements are nothing but typical polemic ignorance!

by Anonymousreply 12510/10/2013

Ignore this Nazi ho who's probably goose-stepping around her tiny apartment thinking of ways to make you 'pay'.

by Anonymousreply 12610/11/2013

lmao what a messy ass thread.

by Anonymousreply 12710/12/2013

R126 is George W's grandfather trying to cover up the fact that he co-financed Hitlers war.

by Anonymousreply 12810/12/2013

[quote]A German kraut

Isn't that redundant?

by Anonymousreply 12910/12/2013

I'm smack dab in the middle of flyover country in a town of 100K and we have some nice imported cheeses at Kroger, plus a restaurant that has won Wine Spectator awards and the chef was a James Beard nominee this year, which has some terrific imported cheese as well.

Meanwhile, a tiny town nearby with a family-owned dairy has cheese which is sold worldwide, specifically a sharp cheddar which is incredible.

The broad, sweeping generalizations in this thread are silly, even sillier knowing that some people think cheese is a major indicator of civilization.

by Anonymousreply 13010/12/2013

Ooooh, R130 uses Kroger, Wine Spectator, and James Beard as totems of culinary civilization.

by Anonymousreply 13110/12/2013

Speaking of food, if it's (kind of) looking at you, will you still eat it?

by Anonymousreply 13210/12/2013

American universities are generally inferior to universities in Britain (Oxbridge and London especially) and France, don't know about other countries in Europe. The US does have some fine universities, of course, but they are not better than Oxbridge and the average American university education is pretty shameful.

by Anonymousreply 13310/12/2013

Picking Oxbridge and the LSE is like comparing all British Universities to just Havard, Yale, Princeton and Stanford.

by Anonymousreply 13410/12/2013

Will Germany ever live the Holocaust down?

by Anonymousreply 13510/12/2013

Most Americans wouldn't swap life in the states for shoebox apartments, bad weather and structured, regimented life of Europe.

by Anonymousreply 13610/13/2013

[quote] 16 Ways Europeans Are Just Better At Life

Well, they had to be better at something.

by Anonymousreply 13710/13/2013

Life in Europe is NOT better than in America.

[quote]Let's check-which rate is higher: Europeans moving permanently to the US, or Americans moving permanently to Europe?

This would be the true measure, and Europeans migrate to the US is in far, far, larger numbers. If you see Americans in Europe, they're most likely mere tourists.

by Anonymousreply 13810/13/2013

Europeans are free to go to Cuba. Were NOT!

Because they have election by popular vote. If we did, too, we wouldn't give a damn about the Cuban Americans in Southern Florida -- and we'd have recognized Cuba decades ago.

by Anonymousreply 13910/13/2013

R14

Don't forget to genuflect when you mention *Wegman's*.

:-))

by Anonymousreply 14010/13/2013

"Will Germany ever live the Holocaust down?"

Not if the Jews have anything to say about it.

by Anonymousreply 14110/13/2013

[quote]Let's check-which rate is higher: Europeans moving permanently to the US, or Americans moving permanently to Europe?

That's assuming Americans know where Europe is.

by Anonymousreply 14210/13/2013

R142 Fail. The American boy, who is either 10 or 11, knew the answer. Most people in the crowd and those who saw this clip online laughed at how stupid Pickler is. If you think this country hillbilly is a representative of most Americans, you're as stupid as she is.

by Anonymousreply 14310/13/2013

I know it hurts, R143.

by Anonymousreply 14410/13/2013

A - um - you know - one of them things, it's like made outta metal and it's got loops and they all, like, fit together. I don't know. Anyway, one them things is only as strong at, you know, the name of that game show.

by Anonymousreply 14510/13/2013

Not so much bashing as simply pointing it out. There's so much to work with.

Now put on your baseball cap, enjoy your Big Gulp, and go back to fretting about your freedoms.

by Anonymousreply 14710/13/2013

R147 take a look at your life and look at how much American culture has influenced it. You won't want to admit it and you'll be bitter at the reality of the situation.

by Anonymousreply 14810/13/2013

Undeniably, America makes a lot of products and offers a great deal of choice at the shops. Economic success is one measure. Meanwhile, the bravest nation on earth has no stomach for gun control despite carnage, health care, despite need, government despite political dysfunction. Yes, I am influenced by America, knowingly. As a cautionary tale.

by Anonymousreply 14910/13/2013

The Euro trash style of dress is 1 of the biggest horrors one can ever see.

by Anonymousreply 15010/13/2013

There are some great things that came from America, music, movies, but would I want to live there - hell no. People are less educated than most Europeans, everybody thinks they need to have a gun and shoot around with it, no sufficient health care system, people are less broad minded and very insular in their way of thinking. Brutal capitalism rules the country and culture values are less important. You can find some of the extreme political right wingers and religious nutters in the US. Gays are not accepted in most states. Food is less sophisticated - people eat junk most of the time, obesity rates are way higher than in most European countries. A vacation in the US, sure, but now way I would want to live there.

by Anonymousreply 15110/13/2013

Go to France and every t-shirt you see has prints in English: meaningless slogans like "Ghetto Party" or "Fuck that Bitch".

by Anonymousreply 15210/13/2013

Euros have more vacation time and less overtime. That more than compensates for any alleged advantage Americans have.

by Anonymousreply 15310/14/2013

Euro TV is abysmal.

by Anonymousreply 15410/14/2013

One European won't be coming back...

by Anonymousreply 15510/14/2013

Comparing Penelope Cruz's English to Michael Bloomberg's Spanish is a joke. A fairer comparison would be Gwyneth Paltrow's Spanish.

by Anonymousreply 15710/15/2013

All of you ill-bred bitches flinging half-baked cliches and stereotypes at each other make me feel even more fortunate to live where I do. It's not perfect but I enjoy a standard of living I couldn't have in most cities in Europe or the US, with access to excellent and affordable produce and food, decent health and education systems, friendly and (mostly) attractive people, great weather, and access to some of the best of the world's arts, culture & nightlife. This thread makes me feel even more fortunate. The majority of posts in this thread are just jingoistic idiocy and you're certainly not making your homes (wherever they may be) seem any more appealing with your mouth-foaming xenophobic tirades.

by Anonymousreply 15810/15/2013

R136 "Most Americans wouldn't swap life in the states for shoebox apartments, bad weather and structured, regimented life of Europe."

Hahahahaha! So people don't have shoebox apartments, bad weather or regimented lives in the US??? Give me a break! 'Most' Americans wouldn't swap because they have such limited exposure to what life is really like in other countries. Sadly that's why some hold on to the myth of American exceptionalism and tend to trot out such cliches about bad teeth, inferior food, class mobility or even the tired old 'we saved your asses in 1945' mantra. Don't let years and years of research or actual facts get in the way of your opinions huh?

I love the US; i have spent a lot of time travelling there, many of my favourite shows (TV & Theatre) are American, I have some good friends in the US and it is a GREAT place to live - if you have the wealth to enjoy it.

For a lot of ordinary people though - not a chance! Personally I wouldn't want to live in the US for love nor money. I get 32 days paid holiday a year, enjoy free healthcare, can walk or take reliable public transport to most places, enjoy a wide variety of cuisines (available in restaurants AND supermarkets), not to mention having access to great home-grown culture. No way would I swap my life for the prospect of a bigger house/car and a far inferior quality of life, less holidays, limited (and more expensive) healthcare or all the politically correct fundamentalist holier-than-thou crap which somehow still gets aired regularly on mainstream platforms over there.

I know a lot of US citizens make it work for them - and good luck to those who succeed - but I work to live, not vice-versa.

by Anonymousreply 15910/15/2013

r159 I agree. But I can't say all those that prefer the US are lying or are too ignorant to know what Europe has to offer. Everyone is different, and there are many Americans that are well traveled but prefer to live and work in the US.

by Anonymousreply 16010/15/2013

Goops Spanish is way better than Penelope's or Javiers English. Penelope relied on being Tom Cruises beard to get parts in movies, Javier is a bit better, at least he can act (very well acxtually)

by Anonymousreply 16110/15/2013

Where do you live r158? Too chicken to mention?

by Anonymousreply 16210/15/2013

R9 samples the young Europeans who have chosen to live in America and concludes that young Europeans prefer America.

Poor R2, who evidently goes around shouting USA! USA!, has no idea what she's talking about. Penelope Cruz (1) has not been living in the US for 20 years, though she has been there a lot, (2) speaks English better than a lot of Americans (though uneducated people equate a foreign accent with bad English), and (3) the laughable comment about Americans living abroad speaking better: I live in Europe and am surrounded by people who have lived here for decades and either refuse to speak anything abut English or practically stop traffic with their incredibly ignorant (though often very confident) slaughtering of languages.

by Anonymousreply 16310/15/2013

R22 probably is unaware that the American land she lives on is available to her only because of the genocide of its original inhabitants. Then there is the slavery that was a base of the U.S. economy after slavery had been abolished in most of the world (and without a horrible war to accomplish it -- only America achieved that).

But let's go on about the castles of the feudalism of centuries before.

by Anonymousreply 16410/15/2013

You're right, R25, Americans don't do the Eurotrash look. Why should they?

Especially when they are the horror of much of the world in their impression that stuffing their obese bodies into sweat pants or spandex and gross t-shirts or sweat shirts or far, far worse is appropriate dress for visiting the great monuments of Europe, where they are also reviled and conspicuous eyesores on the streets of, say, Paris, where folks hardly go to the corner shop or café careless of their appearance.

by Anonymousreply 16510/15/2013

R51 can have little experience of Europe if he thinks they're smoking noticeably more than Americans. I went to the huge demonstration on September 11 in which 2 million Catalans held hands the entire length of the country. In the celebratory hours surrounding that act, I saw ONE person smoking out the many thousands I saw. And we were in small towns and in the countryside. No smoking until that one at the end of the day.

by Anonymousreply 16610/15/2013

It's fruitless to answer the stupid, insular things being posted by some Americans. When anyone is stupid enough to say, for example, that Penelope Cruz is or has ever been "dependent" on Tom Cruise for her movie roles, he or she is simply too stupid to be allowed out alone. She was a star long before her brush with him and is a bigger one than he -- except for that special audience he has. She's now done her second Woody Allen film. Can you imagine a director like him ever using Wee Tommy -- or using P.C. because she once "dated" him?

by Anonymousreply 16710/15/2013

I love how these threads always turn into NYC, Boston, or LA vs. Berlin, Paris or Amsterdam, and there's the assumption that the people are young and upwardly mobile.

It would be far more accurate to see a comparison between the 45 year old man working as a mechanic in a VW dealership in Little Rock, Arkansas and his counterpart working in a VW dealership in Wuppertal, Germany.

I suspect their two standards of living and quality of life are much closer than either Americans or Europeans care to admit.

by Anonymousreply 16810/15/2013

No one said Penelope Cruz owes her career to Tom Cruise, especially given she was one of Spain's brightest stars before she even dated him. The point being made is that Gwyneth Paltrow's Spanish is as good (or better) than her English.

by Anonymousreply 16910/15/2013

r9, it's called rebelling against tradition. University students and 20-somethings are open to anything that seems different. Talk to them when they hit 40.

by Anonymousreply 17010/15/2013

What R4 said.

by Anonymousreply 17110/15/2013

Exactly what Europeans don't like about American tourists. Sloppy, un-stylish, but still think their uneducated, arrogant attitude can rule the world!

by Anonymousreply 17210/15/2013

At least they're just tourists r172. :Americans have to deal with Eurotrash who've moved permanently. People seem to be fleeing Europe in droves.

by Anonymousreply 17310/15/2013

Europe used to rule the world, and they had to sit by and watch as first America rescued them by ending their wars and becoming the world's power, the collapse of their colonial empires and the rise of emerging markets in Asia and South America relegate them further into irrelevance.

Europe is no longer important to anyone anywhere, including themselves, as evidenced by Europeans' own emigration to find better prospects elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 17410/16/2013

Europe used to rule the world, and they had to sit by and watch as first America rescued them by ending their wars.

A war that was co-financed by the US you mean?

by Anonymousreply 17510/16/2013

I met a young black Frenchman who moved to New York. Says, he has zero prospects in France because of his race and background. That sports or showbiz are the only avenues for blacks and Arabs to become wealthy.

by Anonymousreply 17610/16/2013

Well at least in France he will not land on death row for a murder he did not commit. He also won't be shot by overzealous neighborhood watch guys, who then will be acquitted. As a matter of fact he has a better chance of not getting shot at all, btw. In France he has a better chance of not getting obese, and a better chance on a decent health care system. The wealth gap between whites and Blacks is growing in the US, btw.

by Anonymousreply 17710/16/2013

R167 Well you are pretty wrong about me being American! LOL

by Anonymousreply 17810/16/2013

Won't this pissing contest thread just die already..

by Anonymousreply 17910/16/2013

In America, he can dream of becoming president. In France, entertaining such a thought would be ludicrous.

by Anonymousreply 18010/16/2013

Don't brag about having a black president when black population in America is still disproportionate behind in most areas.

by Anonymousreply 18110/17/2013

R167 Penelope Cruz working with child molester Woody Allen is not something she should be proud of.

by Anonymousreply 18210/17/2013

I in no way contest that Europe is better than USA, just different. It depends what you want in life. If you want the option to get ahead by working hard, but don't care much about universal health care, then USA is the country for you. I admit USA offers more opportunities than most European countries.

However, if safety is more important to you, for example free health care and all the other benefits provided by a strong welfare state, then USA is clearly not for you. Just saying.

by Anonymousreply 18310/17/2013

[quote]Don't brag about having a black president when black population in America is still disproportionate behind in most areas.

Maybe, but blacks in Europe have it much, much worse ... and their chances of improving their stations, minuscule, unless of course, they're lucky to be born with exceptional athletic ability.

by Anonymousreply 18410/17/2013

Danish "actress" Brigitte Nielsen is the epitome of Eurotrash if you ask me. She makes Lindsay Lohan look well-bred.

by Anonymousreply 18510/17/2013

R185 ... well she lived in LA, no wonder the Danes got rid of her.

by Anonymousreply 18610/17/2013

I consider Minnie Driver eurotrash. I'll always love Matt Damon for dumping her on Oprah.

by Anonymousreply 18710/18/2013

R187 Brits don't consider themselves as Europeans and quite frankly most Europeans don't think much of Brits either.

by Anonymousreply 18810/18/2013

I think the many Brits infesting NY and LA, including billionaires like Richard Branson and Petra Ecclestone, can be classified as Eurotrash whether they consider themselves European or not.

by Anonymousreply 18910/18/2013

In Europe we have universal health care. If you want a secondary infection in America, you have to pay for it.

by Anonymousreply 19010/19/2013

R182, that is complete BS, created by a hysterical harpy. There were never any charges brought against Woody Allen. Mia has all the child molesting in her family background and there are still a lot of questions about her and all those children she "adopted".

by Anonymousreply 19110/19/2013

Woody essentially ran off with his own daughter.

by Anonymousreply 19210/19/2013

Europe is good if you want to escape rape charges because you're a famous cinematic artiste!

by Anonymousreply 19310/20/2013

Or if you want to throw bunga bunga parties where you can pay for sex with underage girls, and still remain politically viable.

by Anonymousreply 19410/20/2013

They still do this in Europe?

by Anonymousreply 19510/21/2013

[quote] free health care and all the other benefits provided by a strong welfare state, then USA is clearly not for you. Just saying.

Your terribly uninformed, entrepreneurship in Europe is quite lucrative, just regulated properly, and health care isn't free, it's paid for in taxes. Additionally, the minimum wage requirements are living wages.

by Anonymousreply 19610/21/2013

R158, where are you from?

by Anonymousreply 19710/21/2013

r158 can't be from Australia because he has art and culture; and can't be from Canada because he has good weather and attractive people. Really, where are you from?

by Anonymousreply 19810/21/2013

Maybe Cape Town or Rio?

Although he did not actually say that he wasn't in Europe or the US, just that the quality of life where he lives is better than most cities in either of those places.

by Anonymousreply 19910/21/2013

R158 could very well be from Australia, because they have very high opinions of themselves. Most Aussies have never even been to other places, but they constantly tell you Australia has the best, is the best, does the best.

Most delusional people ever!

by Anonymousreply 20010/21/2013

Australia is a backward, racist, backwater.

by Anonymousreply 20110/21/2013

R194 Don't know if you have noticed but Seniore Bunga Bunga might end up in prison soon.

Unlike the US war criminals you call politicians who will never have to pay for their crimes...

by Anonymousreply 20210/21/2013

In the US, his political career would be dead in the water. In Europe, they'll elect him prime minister three times.

by Anonymousreply 20310/21/2013

R202 oh yeah? Thatcher?

by Anonymousreply 20410/21/2013

R203 Yeah, you only re-elect war criminals so it's all good...

by Anonymousreply 20510/21/2013

This blonde girl trafficking story is exposing a side of Europe I didn't know existed. The conditions those Roma live in are appalling.

by Anonymousreply 20610/24/2013

R206 notice the silence on the topic from the Euro trolls here.

by Anonymousreply 20710/24/2013

What "Euro trolls"? I've already mentioned several times one big difference between Europe and America: in Europe we don't have stupid lists such as "16 Ways Europeans are just better at life". Why are Americans so into them?

by Anonymousreply 20810/24/2013

[quote]The conditions those Roma live in are their own doing.

Fixed that for you, R206

by Anonymousreply 20910/24/2013

There's a big story this week about the illegal immigrants taking boats over to Europe and how they are treated once they arrive. Very disturbing. But Europe rules! Right?

by Anonymousreply 21110/24/2013

Where's the story, r211? Also, do you have any links for the stories on how boat loads of African migrants being brought in by the hundreds by organised crime gangs do once they arrive on the shores of the USA?

by Anonymousreply 21210/24/2013

R211 I think you confuse Europe with Australia

by Anonymousreply 21310/24/2013

R212 you lazy troll, look in the news...check google news if you can't find it. If you watch news you'll see the story, boo.

by Anonymousreply 21410/24/2013

[quote]in Europe we don't have stupid lists such as "16 Ways Europeans are just better at life". Why are Americans so into them?

It's not Americans, it's only datalounge.

I lived in Europe for close to a decade. For all its problems, I'll take the United States over Europe any day.

by Anonymousreply 21510/24/2013

No, I'm not being lazy, r214, I'm just wondering what exactly this particular major news item that you read is, because here in Europe we're pretty familiar with the whole boatloads of illegal migrants situation and how difficult it is to deal with it. Is it a terrible scandal that you've just discovered?

Perhaps we could learn from the US how to handle boatloads of people surging in on almost nightly basis along vulnerable parts of your coastline, brought in from the world's poorest countries by organised criminal gangs. Can you tell us how you guys deal with them?

by Anonymousreply 21610/24/2013

[quote]Perhaps we could learn from the US how to handle boatloads of people surging in on almost nightly basis along vulnerable parts of your coastline, brought in from the world's poorest countries by organised criminal gangs. Can you tell us how you guys deal with them?

Bitch, please--here we call them "Cubans" and yes, since we've been dealing with them for 50 years now, we probably could teach you something.

Start by registering them Republican . . .

by Anonymousreply 21710/24/2013

R215, this list (and others like it that DL occasionally comments on) are the product of American publications.

That's fine, you live in your own country, it's your homeland and what you're used to. There's nothing wrong with preferring the place that you know and what's familiar to you, were you grew up, the things you loved as a child, your own culture and way of being, where your family and oldest friends are. This doesn't mean the other country or continent is bad, just that they're different. Which is why, even though I have always found the US a pleasant place to visit and enjoy many aspects of American culture, I would never actually want to live there.

by Anonymousreply 21810/24/2013

Shut up racist dick in post 217.

by Anonymousreply 21910/24/2013

Turns out the little blonde blue-eyed girl really is Roma and Europeans were whipped into hysterics over child trafficking by good old racial profiling.

by Anonymousreply 22010/27/2013

R220 not surprising at all.

by Anonymousreply 22110/27/2013

So Dutch person posted this in the thread about the gypsy girl which partially explains European reaction to this particular case, especially considering there are lots of other children missing:

[italic]I'm Dutch and I can tell you there's definitely a pecking order in Europe when it comes to facial-features, hair-color, eye-color, etc.

You can compare it to African Americans on the American continent who classify each other on the basis of their skin-tone.

I think it's a legacy of the Nazi race-propaganda in the 30's. To this day Europeans with blonde hair and green/blue eyes have a major superiority complex. I remember when I was in school a lot of blonde kids proudly labeled themselves as 'arians'.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 22210/27/2013

This is a genuine question to Europeans: would this story have exploded the way it did if the girl had dark hair and eyes? I've noticed the other well-known missing child case, Madeline McCann, is also a blonde, blue-eyed girl. Why don't other missing kids stir as much emotion?

by Anonymousreply 22310/27/2013

Europe is over.

by Anonymousreply 22410/27/2013

Penelope Cruz definitely has a superior complex and she is neither blond nor blue eyed.

by Anonymousreply 22510/27/2013

R56 Apparently there are more Nazis in the US now than in Germany, probably in the rest of the world.

by Anonymousreply 22610/29/2013

R226 Really? How did Europeans react to Roma having a blond hair blue eyed hair girl in their camp? Did you hear a lot of Europeans defending Roma? Unfortunately the Roma look different than the vast majority of Europeans(they originally come from India) and the most vile stereotypes are ascribed to them. If a white child was seen with black parents in the US would you see such a reaction by the press? Probably not.

by Anonymousreply 22710/29/2013

R227

Well the girl was not with her real parents, so your argument is a bit weak.

In Germany defending Nazi's is a crime, in the US this kind of appealing behavior seems to be widely accepted.

by Anonymousreply 22810/29/2013

[quote]In Germany defending Nazi's is a crime, in the US this kind of appealing behavior seems to be widely accepted.

It's called freedom of speech.

by Anonymousreply 22910/29/2013

Its not freedom of speech it's accepting criminal behavior in a society.

by Anonymousreply 23010/29/2013

Europe is better if you want to have an affair despite being married and have no guilty conscience whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 23110/31/2013

The Guardian

Americas gun use is out of control. Shouldn't the world intervene?

“That’s America, we say, as news of the latest massacre breaks… and move on. But what if we no longer thought of this as just a problem for America and, instead, viewed it as an international humanitarian crisis – a quasi civil war, if you like, that calls for outside intervention? As citizens of the world, perhaps we should demand an end to the unimaginable suffering of victims and their families – the maiming and killing of children – just as America does in every new civil conflict around the globe. The annual toll from firearms in the US is running at 32,000 deaths and climbing, even though the general crime rate is on a downward path (it is 40% lower than in 1980). If this perennial slaughter doesn’t qualify for intercession by the UN and all relevant NGOs, it is hard to know what does.

To absorb the scale of the mayhem, it’s worth trying to guess the death toll of all the wars in American history since the War of Independence began in 1775, and follow that by estimating the number killed by firearms in the US since the day that Robert F. Kennedy was shot in 1968 by a .22 Iver-Johnson handgun, wielded by Sirhan Sirhan. The figures from Congressional Research Service, plus recent statistics from icasualties.org, tell us that from the first casualties in the battle of Lexington to recent operations in Afghanistan, the toll is 1,171,177. By contrast, the number killed by firearms, including suicides, since 1968, according to the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention and the FBI, is 1,384,171.

That 212,994 more Americans lost their lives from firearms in the last 45 years than in all wars involving the US is a staggering fact, particularly when you place it in the context of the safety-conscious, ‘secondary smoke’ obsessions that characterize so much of American life.”

by Anonymousreply 23210/31/2013

Sometimes I wonder if Europeans are just wilfully ignorant or just unrepentant, vile racists. For supposedly civilised people to think blackface is acceptable in this day and age; absolutely disgusting:

by Anonymousreply 23310/31/2013

White Americans do black face too, what's your point?

by Anonymousreply 23410/31/2013

Those are top designers, r234. Supposedly the cream of European society. There will be no backlash for them in Europe; just like pedophile Roman Polanski continues to live free. Only the Holocaust is untouchable for Europeans as John Galliano discovered with his anti-semitic rant.

by Anonymousreply 23510/31/2013

R228 No. Real parents or not they claimed that were her real parents and were found out to be frauds.The main point that you missed entirely is the reaction of people in Europe.The reaction of many Europeans brought back the worst stereotypes regarding the Roma people. That they snatch children etc so on.

I have folks in Germany and trust me there are tons of closet Nazis in Germany.If should see how Turks are treated in Germany compared to immigrants in the United States. It's sad actually.

by Anonymousreply 23610/31/2013

R235

I am sure there are more racists and white supremacist living in the US than in Europe.

Are you also offended when black people wear white up?

R236 What is missing in you line of argument is that the real mother of the girl gave her away, because she could not take care for her. She is being investigated at the moment if she actually sold her own child to the "foster" parents. The child was actually dancing for money in public. This case goes way beyond white children and dark haired parents, we are talking about under age child labor and child trafficking.

by Anonymousreply 23710/31/2013

R237 hell no. Ever follow soccer, or as you say "football"? That is by far the most popular sport in Europe, and has MANY racist fans.

by Anonymousreply 23810/31/2013

Europeans are WAY more racist than Americans, and WAY more in denial about it.

by Anonymousreply 23910/31/2013

r239 speaks the truth.

by Anonymousreply 24010/31/2013

[237] And many Neo-Nazi fans

by Anonymousreply 24110/31/2013

Europe has a different vibe.

by Anonymousreply 24210/31/2013

I rather be Jewish in Germany than Black in America.

by Anonymousreply 24310/31/2013

r243, how about Jewish in America and black in Germany?

by Anonymousreply 24410/31/2013

Wearing a swastika in the US is not a criminal offence, in Germany it is.

You are ten times more likely to be shot at or end in jail when you are black in the US than in Germany

by Anonymousreply 24510/31/2013

[quote]Are you also offended when black people wear white up?

I'm baffled by how ignorant, allegedly educated, Europeans are about the history and significance of blackface; how it was used to mock and demean African Americans, to the point of cavalierly equating it to Tyra Banks or the Wayans brothers wearing white makeup to play white characters. Again, not surprising that Europeans would trivialise racism every chance they get.

by Anonymousreply 24610/31/2013

R237, The interest in this child is because she was blonde and white-appearing. There wouldn't be such public hysteria if she had dusky coloring like most other Roma.

by Anonymousreply 24710/31/2013

No monkey chants or people throwing bananas at black players in American stadia r237. No need for authorities to effect bans and other symptom-treating measures in frantic effort to save them embarrassment rather than finding out why Europeans would act this way in 2013. In Europe this is happening in high profile games as recently as last week.

by Anonymousreply 24810/31/2013

R237 You are so clueless. The Bulgarian gypsy sold Maria to the Gypsy family in Greece. The Roma couple in Greece were collecting over 3000 euros a month for their kids! That is a lot of money in a country which is going through financial difficulty like Greece.Greeks like other Europeans can't stand gypsies and don't appreciate them collecting so much money for so many kids. The Golden Dawn is being cracked down in Greece. How do you think they got as many votes as they did because Greeks are a tolerant foreign and gypsy loving people?

R243 Really? Spend some time in Germany and be a Jew in Germany and see how they treat you. Their official policy differs there from what the people think of Jews. Unfortunately they still don't think very highly of them. You still hear Germans telling this myth that the Jews were persecuted and were to be eliminated because they didn't support the war effort during World War 1!

by Anonymousreply 24910/31/2013

R249 At least as a Jew in Germany you have a better chance not being shot at and not land in jail. George W's granddad supported Hitlers rise to power. What is your fucking point.

So you would support child labor, just because it brings in a lot of money?

R248 The UK does not consider itself as part of Europe, remember they followed George Bush into Iraq!

R246 So white people cant wear blackface but it is OK for black people to wear whiteface. I am deeply offended!

by Anonymousreply 25010/31/2013

[quote]So white people cant wear blackface but it is OK for black people to wear whiteface. I am deeply offended!

You're being obtuse r250. It's not the same thing at all. And in the racial context we're talking about, the word "whiteface" doesn't even exist. The pictures at r233 are of highly offensive minstrel shows and slaves in chains. Simply, vile!

by Anonymousreply 25110/31/2013

A while back, a friend living in Brussels told me how a shop told her brusquely that she's have to make an "appointment" to come in and look at iPod models. That day, I had been in a Best Buy where two different employees had asked if they could help me. My friend has NO access to state-supported audio content for the blind, even in French or Flemish. In the USA, there are huge libraries of books recorded just for the visually impaired.

by Anonymousreply 25210/31/2013

R251 You are acting as if black people were the only ones who experienced racism.

Man up and stop acting like a whino Oprah Winfrey who, every time she can't get what her fat inflated ego wants, she flashed the race card!

No wonder nobody in Europe likes her.

by Anonymousreply 25310/31/2013

One truly undeniably Good Thing that the US has: its Elite research universities and small exquisite liberal arts colleges...

by Anonymousreply 25410/31/2013

R255 Racism against black people happens mostly in the US, not in Europe.

by Anonymousreply 25610/31/2013

r256. See r248.

by Anonymousreply 25711/01/2013

oh those defensive euros...

by Anonymousreply 25811/01/2013

The Continent is dreamy, the USA is dreary and at the near end of its reign.

This thread has inspired me to clutch my pretty red Swiss passport to my bosom.

by Anonymousreply 25911/01/2013

R256t Racism against black people happens mostly in the US, not in Europe.

Americans have a great solution for their "black problem": lock them up!

While the US already has the world's highest incarceration rates, the rate for black men is obscene. It is purposely done. White men for the same crimes simply don't face the same hash treatment. It is National policy ...and an absolute scandal.

But R248 is worried about a few idiots at soccer games.

by Anonymousreply 26011/01/2013

[quote]That sports or showbiz are the only avenues for blacks and Arabs to become wealthy.

Um.... Kind of seems like that here too.

by Anonymousreply 26111/01/2013

At least blacks in America don't live in the atrocious, third world, slum conditions gypsies in Europe do. Europe does an amazing job hiding this from tourists and the media because they're shocking.

by Anonymousreply 26211/01/2013

At first I thought that was a photo of Detroit or Camden

But no...that photo is from Bulgaria.

Bulgaria (do you even know where it is?) became a member of Europe in 2007.

by Anonymousreply 26311/01/2013

Europe isn't racist? Um...just this year, Italy's female black Minister of Integration was the target of racial slurs, and even had a banana thrown at her. Those slurs came from not just random people at a rally, but also politicians.

In Spain, it's still "acceptable" and "not racist" for non-Asians to slant their eyes with their fingers when referencing Asians. At the 2008 Olympic Games, the entire Spanish basketball team came under fire from international press over it.

by Anonymousreply 26411/01/2013

16 Ways Europeans [think they] Are Just Better At Life

by Anonymousreply 26511/01/2013

I don't know if you don't get around much in your own country, but the few times I been to the US I was SHOCKED to see that many homeless people and run down areas, areas where my friends told me "don't go there it's too dangerous". It was not predominantly white people who lived in these areas and who were homeless.

by Anonymousreply 26611/01/2013

R266 there are plenty of non-white, very poor and dangerous zones of most of the world's big cities who have minority populations. It's a terrible thing but it exists.

Have you forgotten about the poor non-white people living in Paris' banlieues? Remember the violent protests they had several years back? Where do you think most of the crime happens in Paris? Europe is no better than the US.

by Anonymousreply 26711/02/2013

The Paris banlieues are nothing, but nothing, like US ghettos.... no where as rundown and dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 26811/02/2013

The picture at r262 qualifies as a squalid SLUM.

by Anonymousreply 26911/02/2013

That picture at R262 as noted earlier is of BULGARIA. It was an eastern block nation until 1990 and has only been part of Europe since 2007. It is, in many ways, still very much a 3rd world country.

by Anonymousreply 27011/02/2013

You're wrong if you don't think America has such places. I lived in an upscale lilly white Georgia suburb where beginning in 2003, a shanty town of homeless people, mainly Mexican, started living under blue tarps. Twice the police moved them on but they never succeeded in getting rid of the place, which continues to grow.

by Anonymousreply 27111/02/2013

An open letter to Air France from an Indian customer went viral online this week after claims he and other Indians were mistreated. Many think it's racism.

In France, Holland and Austria, anti-immigration parties are becoming increasingly popular.

by Anonymousreply 27211/02/2013

Seems the Roma slums are all over Europe. Check out the squalor in Slovakia.

by Anonymousreply 27311/03/2013

Wow, that's depressing, r273.

by Anonymousreply 27411/03/2013

Well, what about the Mexican immigrants living in the canyons of California that you don't want anyone to know about? Some of us know about it. And we know how the weak are taken advantage of by the strong with no one to protect them. There is forced prostitution, beatings, robbery.... It's one of California's/America's big secrets.

by Anonymousreply 27511/03/2013

On the 75th anniversary of the Kristallnacht pogrom, all Jewish institutions in Germany are having police protection, as anti-Semitism is expected...

In Sweden there is controversy for a restaurant that tried a fail of a joke. They called a certain soup "Gypsy Soup" and joked it was named that because all the ingredients were stolen.

Here's another article about racism and xenophobia in Sweden:

by Anonymousreply 27611/03/2013

Servicing illegal migrants in camps includes prostitution

It’s been a few years since the public spotlight has been shown on McGonigle Canyon, in San Diego, but the ‘dirty secret’ has returned and the illegal migrant camp is complete with prostitution. The underbelly of San Diego has again reared its ugly head.

Many of the illegal migrants hail from the Mexican state of Oaxaca where they live in a very similar environment in shanty towns along the sides of the hills.

by Anonymousreply 27711/03/2013

Just more American racism. So typical.

by Anonymousreply 27811/03/2013

Why do Americans allow immigrants to live in canyons with no protection ( the poor girls being forced to prostitute and brutally raped)? Hey, this is what they go back to after they cut your grass, clean your homes, and pick your oranges for pennies and no benefits or employment protections. Why does this occur? RACISM! The secret has been exposed. It's the same reason a black teenager just walking home gets shot dead and the murderer goes free and the majority of Americans AGREE with the verdict. Only in RACIST America. You have no room to talk or point fingers at all.

by Anonymousreply 27911/03/2013

What is r279 talking about?

by Anonymousreply 28011/04/2013

These kinds of "debates" really bring the morons out.

by Anonymousreply 28111/04/2013

All the Hispanics that seek refuge in the US are the historic victims of European colonization. The Conquistadors are gone, but the hurt remains.

What Europe breaks, America fixes.

by Anonymousreply 28211/04/2013

By the same stroke, America is the result of European colonization, so if you like America then you think European colonization did good things too.

by Anonymousreply 28311/04/2013

R282 Armchair Historian

by Anonymousreply 28411/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.