Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

So Sandra Bullock will have TWO Oscars?

by Anonymousreply 4910/12/2013

Not this year.

by Anonymousreply 110/06/2013

I second the no. It's going to be Cate, Meryl or Judi Dench. Sandra may have the biggest box office (and best plastic surgeon), but she is not going to win best actress for crying and swimming around a film set.

by Anonymousreply 210/07/2013

r2 = bitter talentless, cunt, green with envy and too old and haggard to steal anyone else's blonde husband.

by Anonymousreply 310/07/2013

But now for the most important question: will I be nominated?

by Anonymousreply 410/07/2013

Is she going to come out as a lesbian to help her win the Oscar? I highly doubt it. Phony and closeted lesbian. Can't stand her.

by Anonymousreply 510/07/2013

Didn't Susan Weaver already do the whole lost in space thing back in the 80's?

MAMIE, GET ME IMDB! and look up your aunt Sigourney!!!

by Anonymousreply 610/07/2013

R2 = Julia Roberts

by Anonymousreply 710/07/2013

The Movie, The Director, The Actress, and the Special Effects/Visual Effects will all get nominations.

Might even get a nom for sound/sound-design.

by Anonymousreply 810/07/2013

It won't be Meryl.

It will be Cate or Judi--more likely Cate. That's a performance of a lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 910/07/2013

Cate was not that impressive in "Blue Jasmine." A very run-of-the-mill Jessica Lange as Blanche Dubois performance.

by Anonymousreply 1010/07/2013

Melissa McCarthy for THE HEAT is a shoo-in lock for the win! You heard it here first!

by Anonymousreply 1110/07/2013

She was better in gravity than in the blind side. Her blind side oscar was a fluke because she is so well liked. Think she will go to her grave with one oscar. Cate blanchett will be tough to beat this year. If not impossible.

by Anonymousreply 1210/07/2013

She got her Oscar early for this movie, not the movie she won for,

by Anonymousreply 1310/07/2013

There is nothing run-of-the-mill about Jessica Lange as Blanche DuBois.

by Anonymousreply 1410/07/2013

Cate doesn't have a Best Actress Oscar, true, so she'd likely win over Sandra. Bullock is totally getting nominated, though.

My dream is Amy Adams finally gets a lead nomination for American Hustle and finally wins.

by Anonymousreply 1510/07/2013

Why are people forgetting that in drama, Sandra Bullock is a completely run of the mill Donna Mills-level actress? They had to CGI her tears. Excels at comedy, but any complex character, with the plastic surgery, is a major reach for her at 49. Sure, her movies make money and she pretends to be nice. But the lady is a closeted lesbian. Out her, don't fawn over her. No one rides for free on my green bus.

by Anonymousreply 1610/08/2013

[quote]They had to CGI her tears.

Yes, because the tears you shed magically float out in mid-air from your body.

I'm no fan of hers, though I enjoyed Speed and Miss Congeniality. I never even saw The Blind Side.

She did an admirable job in Gravity and should get a nomination. Win? I'd have to see the other nominees.

by Anonymousreply 1710/08/2013

Oh yeah, it will be meryl. whoever said that is a dumbfuck

by Anonymousreply 1810/08/2013

Not if I can help it!

How much for the muthafuckin' Oscar???? I'll pay whatever it takes just to hear...

"And the nominees for Best Actress are... Oprah Winfrey - The Butler.

And the winner is... OPRAH WINFREY - THE BUTLER!!"

by Anonymousreply 1910/08/2013

She won't even be nominated. I liked Gravity A LOT but the script is terrible and there is no character there for her to play. It will sweep all the technical awards.

by Anonymousreply 2010/08/2013

[quote]They had to CGI her tears.

This is dumb. Of course the tears were CGI, since they were floating away in zero gravity.

by Anonymousreply 2110/08/2013

I don't think Cate Blanchett has much to worry about. She's working the circuit, something I don't believe she's done for her last several nominations, and even Woody is coming out of hiding to accept the Cecil B. DeMille Award. Plus, it's the type of role that wins Oscars. Bullock's is not. She'll be nominated because "Gravity" is a hit and a second nomination is validation for her inexplicable Oscar win, but that's it.

If Amy Adams got raves and "American Hustle" won Best Picture, then I'd think she had a chance, but despite her many nominations, I don't see the urge to reward her like Kate Winslet had. Several of Amy's nominations have been pure filler nods in weak years. She doesn't even strike me as the next Glenn Close, more the next Marsha Mason.

by Anonymousreply 2210/08/2013

I think Cate has more to worry about from Judi Dench, who is likewise under-Oscared (one supporting, like Cate) but 30 years older and losing her eyesight, so she won't have that many more opportunities. And she's one of THE great actresses.

Streep can take a hike for a few years. If Dench and Cate were to split votes, Sandy would win before Streep's latest mug fest.

by Anonymousreply 2310/08/2013

Sandy won't win. Her undeserved Oscar for Blind Side was a "thanks for making us money" award, much like Julia's win for Erin Brockovich was

by Anonymousreply 2410/08/2013

I agree Sandra should not win but we know she campaigns and plays games, so don't put it past her. But I am glad to hear that Cate is working the room, that is the only way you win best actress or a john. Meryl had to seriously campaign for The Iron Lady, because she liked the film and was told that if she wanted to win, she would have to campaign.

by Anonymousreply 2510/09/2013

[quote]This is dumb. Of course the tears were CGI, since they were floating away in zero gravity.

A true actress can tap her emotional depth to cry anti-gravity tears.

by Anonymousreply 2610/09/2013

So the nominees are

Front runner Cate Blanchett

Sandra Bullock

Judith Dench

Meryl Streep

Julia Roberts

by Anonymousreply 2710/09/2013

R27 = Julia Roberts

by Anonymousreply 2810/09/2013

Not a great actress but nice. I don't think she's a closeted lesbian... where is that coming from?

by Anonymousreply 2910/09/2013

I don't think, for one second, that she didn't know anything about Jesse James' Nazi bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 3010/09/2013

[quote]Yes, because the tears you shed magically float out in mid-air from your body.

If you can't cry anti-gravity tears on cue, you don't deserve to be called a real actress.

by Anonymousreply 3110/09/2013

r30 of course she did & she didn't care, either because her mother is the daughter of a famous nazi scientist. Yes "nice" Sandy is the granddaughter of a Nazi.

by Anonymousreply 3210/09/2013

Bullock won't be nominated.

Cate Blanchett has already won the thing, in any case, unless Mia Farrow somehow manages to destroy Woody Allen's career again. Farrow is the dark horse in this race.

But it's already Blanchett.

Julia Roberts won't be nominated, either. Nor Meryl. I predict AUGUST: ICK will be a huge flop. I hope so: it's a dreadful play.

by Anonymousreply 3310/09/2013

I believe Meryl is in the supporting category. And yes, Bullock will be nominated. Won't win, but she will be nominated.

by Anonymousreply 3410/09/2013

Meryl isn't getting nominated. Early reviews of AUGUST were very mixed.

by Anonymousreply 3510/09/2013

Streep is most definitely getting nominated for August: Osage County. If the Academy is one thing, it's predictable. That movie will also get a major promotional push at Christmas and it will make bank. Audiences went nuts for it at TIFF.

I think it's going to be Cate Blanchett. Her strongest competitor is Judi Dench, or depending on what future narrative evolves, Meryl Streep who is adored by actors and the public.

Bullock is great box office but extremely limited as an actress, IMHO. I also get the lesbian vibe from her.

by Anonymousreply 3610/09/2013

[quote]They had to CGI her tears

You stupid fuck. Her tears were real, as you could plainly see them come from her eyes. It's when they floated out that they became CGI.

by Anonymousreply 3710/09/2013

August got mediocre reviews from the critics at TIFF. Even those who said Streep was good still felt that she played it too safe and the filmmakers should have went with a more riskier choice. It will not be surprising if she is snubbed this time. She is well liked, but there is a sense of burnout with rewarding her all the time. I think Margo will get the nomination instead.

by Anonymousreply 3810/09/2013

We can agree to disagree, but I would not bet on Meryl Streep being snubbed by AMPAAS. And you can't go on critics reactions from a film festival in September to know what may or may not be a hit with audiences. The film had barely been finished to screen, and has undergone further edits.

Is that your defense of Sandra's acting, that she can shed a real tear? Please.

by Anonymousreply 3910/09/2013

If noms were out today four of the Best Actress noms would go to Blanchett, Bullock, Dench and Streep with the 5th spot up for grabs. Everyone stop arguing.

Subject to change over the coming months of course.

by Anonymousreply 4010/09/2013

I don't like August:Osage County. Too much fat Julia and her teeth. If nominated I may send Mamie as my delegate.

by Anonymousreply 4110/09/2013

Bullock probably did not deserve the Oscar for Blind Side, but I also think her performance was better than it is given credit for here. She played a larger than life person, and resisted over-emphasizing the more flamboyant parts of her personality and chewing scenery. She ended up giving an understated, (for the character) honest portrayal, and her performance is one of the reasons what was basically the equivalent of a 1982 TV movie was a box office hit.

by Anonymousreply 4210/09/2013

Sandy did zero with the character in Blind Side. Zilch. Any TV actress could have done that part. It was a career award, nothing else. Iron Lady got very mixed reviews and Streep still won.

by Anonymousreply 4310/09/2013

Her performance in Gravity is near-perfect and much better than The Blind Side.

Will Amy Adams be Supporting or Lead? She looks amazing and I'd love to see her win,

by Anonymousreply 4410/10/2013

Amy is going for lead (at the moment)

Is there a trailer out?

by Anonymousreply 4510/10/2013

Bitch please. My couch potato husband has already found a spot to place my second Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 4610/10/2013

R45, here:

by Anonymousreply 4710/10/2013

5 Reasons Sandra Bullock Could Win the Oscar (Again):

by Anonymousreply 4810/12/2013

R32. If every person who had an unfortunate relative, especially two generations back, we're assumed to have the same bad character, few of us would pass that sniff test.

by Anonymousreply 4910/12/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!