Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Rolling Stones

With the Beatles ushering in the "British Invasion", what was the arrival and ascension of The Rolling Stones like...

I read that they had a few hits in 1964 and it took them awhile to score big the following year with "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction."

While The Beatles seemed pretty innocent with wanting to hold your hand...

The Rolling Stones seemed to want to take all the girls virginity away from them with most of them being all too willing..

Were the parents saying "Oh Dear!"

What was it like?

by Anonymousreply 1110/07/2013

The cool kids, the rebel kids, preferred the Stones.

The dullards and the squares (and their parents) liked the Beatles more.

Your sister in high school loved the Fab Four.

Your brother in college was a Stones fan.

At least, that's the way I recall it.

by Anonymousreply 110/06/2013

They were the bad boys from the start, and after they released "Sympathy for the Devil," many parents were up in arms about them being Satan worshippers, etc. Songs like "Mother's Little Helper" didnt' make parents feel any better either.

I remember watching them on "Ed Sullivan" as a small child and thinking the Beatles were cuter. Now I prefer the Stones!

by Anonymousreply 210/06/2013

After The Beatles, there was an onslaught of British bands. The Dace Clark Five was the second group to land on Ed Sullivan. Next were The Rolling Stones. We were eventually treated to Gerry and The Pacemakers, Billy J. Kramer and the Dakotas, Cliff Richard, Herman's Hermts, the girls--Cilla Black, Dusty Springfield, Petula Clark, as well as Potato Bug, Manfred Mann and The Nifty Groovers.

The fans were all over the place. Everyone had to have a favorite which would say a lot about you. Well, except for the fact that everyone knew that someone whose favorite wasn't their own just didn't know what they were talking about. Thus, Gene Pitney fans knew that Rolling Stones fans were simply clueless nerds.

Beatles and Stones. My guess is that there were more fans of both than there were people who embraced one and dismissed the other. As someone firmly in the Beatle camp, though I dreamed of marrying Denny from the Dave Clark Five, I loved the Stones.

by Anonymousreply 310/06/2013

Farm kids in Illinois who were forbidden to ever look at black people LOVED that these nasty blokes from England would brazenly play the blacks' music and well for all to see and enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 410/06/2013

by Anonymousreply 510/07/2013

My parents (then in their 30s) were so hung up on the long hair, they couldn't tell the difference between The Beatles and The Rolling Stones.

by Anonymousreply 610/07/2013

Yeah, the Stones were into American blues from the outset, in fact they were a covers-only band when they started. Hard to believe it, when you consider all the classic originals they eventually wrote, but it's true.

by Anonymousreply 710/07/2013

Their manager/producer Andrew Loog Oldham deliberately promoted the idea of the Stones being bad boys. The infamous 'Would you let your daughter marry a Rolling Stone?' headline was his concoction.

by Anonymousreply 810/07/2013

Oldham's also the reason that Jagger and Richards actually got around to writing their own material.

by Anonymousreply 910/07/2013

The Stones were one of the most amazing live bands ever. Especially during the Mick Taylor era (1969-1974).

by Anonymousreply 1010/07/2013

They really were, R10. The Brussels Affair live album is incredible.

by Anonymousreply 1110/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!