Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

A Different Story (1978)

I saw it for the first time last night. I must have got it years ago and never got round to seeing it.

It's pretty lame. I was quite interested to read (online) about the controversy over it at the time.

Anyone here ever see it?

by Anonymousreply 1610/10/2013

Yes. For Perry King's nude scenes. And I was not disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 110/06/2013

God Perry was beautiful then - and he's so likeable in this. Hes like the dream boyfriend. Gorgeous face, amazing body (that ass}, and not stuck up, or arrogant. Just a nice guy. He should have had a bigger career.

by Anonymousreply 210/06/2013

He should've had me. And he still can.

by Anonymousreply 310/06/2013

A film ahead of its time for its honest portrayal of a gay man's desire for smearing chocolate frosting on Meg Foster's nipples.

by Anonymousreply 410/06/2013

I love how the modern gay movement had barely begun and this comes out...

by Anonymousreply 510/06/2013

It had a lot to offer audiences hungry for honest portrayals of gay people, much like Windows and Cruising.

by Anonymousreply 610/06/2013

Meg was a good friend to us -- it cost her her career.

by Anonymousreply 710/06/2013

Would you care to elaborate on that, r7?

by Anonymousreply 810/06/2013

I remember this movie, pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 910/06/2013

This is a tangential response.

You should see "The Official Story."

On my top 25 list of favorites.

by Anonymousreply 1010/07/2013

Apparently they were upset at the time because he was so stereotypical gay and he gave up gay for the girl.

It was weird watching something 'gay' that was pre-Aids.

The 70s look if the film was hideous, even for the 70s. They moved into a house with the most disgusting wallpaper in the kitchen that was also on the ceiling and Meg's clothes were horrendous.

Also, apparently for years after that people thought Perry was gay in real life. I'm surprised the few people here who remember this, rate it so highly. I do think the performances were quite good. The film does have soul, in its way.

Perry has said:

[quote]People sometimes think I'm gay because I once played a gay in a movie. It's funny. Audiences don't think you're a murderer if you play a murderer, but they do think you're gay if you play a gay.

by Anonymousreply 1110/07/2013

The only thing I really remember about that movie is Perry King's primo naked ass pushing against a cloudy shower door.

by Anonymousreply 1210/08/2013

Perry played in "Mandingo" and his character seemed bi.

He also played a gay man in an episode of "Will & Grace" as Jack's possible daddy.

by Anonymousreply 1310/08/2013

Perry and his ass were simply delicious. I actually though the film was ridiculous and unrealistic, but oddly sweet. They have the actors to thank for that. Perry and Meg had amazing chemistry and really nailed it.

Didn't hurt that they were both stunningly gorgeous. Just saw Meg in that new Rob Zombie film and, while they obviously made her up and put her in a grotesque body suit to look witchier, she's not really aging that well. But she still has those stunning eyes.

by Anonymousreply 1410/08/2013

Meg was our good friend who never blamed us when her portrayal in A Different Story cost her many jobs after.

Then her turn on Cagney and Lacey hurt her in the same way.

by Anonymousreply 1510/10/2013

I remember having a major crush on Perry King, he was horribly good looking and sexy.

by Anonymousreply 1610/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.