Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Someone explained to me today that the millennials are the new baby boomers

Apparently, there is this theory that generations repeat. Gen Xers are like the generation before Baby Boomers. The generation after the millennials will be like the Gen Xers and so on and so forth.

by Anonymousreply 510/06/2013

*rolls eyes*

by Anonymousreply 110/06/2013

That is a facile and oxygen deprived theory.

Study the generation of parents of baby boomers and be sad that such a large collective of principled, diverse and decent people will never exist again.

The reasons why are for sociologists to masticate and puke out. They are students of the obvious.

So, just look back and around and in the mirror. "I've seen the future baby and it's murder." Read some books. Only fashion will repeat.

by Anonymousreply 210/06/2013

As a boomer, I'm kind of optimistic about millenials. Boomers are where things went off the rails. Before that, each generation strived to make things better.

We boomers were the crown of creation. As far as we were concerned, we were the ultimate goal of history.

The children of my generation were accessories. They were fabulous because they were ours.

And in the mean time, we developed the concept that was the Darwinian Achilles' heel: the gold star for participating.

This is the anchor the millenials have been burdened with. Their generation is the one in which, say, the idea that everyone deserves the opportunity to go to college became the idea that everyone is entitled to a college degree.

But something strange has happened. Many millenials have adopted an attitude that in order to make the world a better place, or even just to keep things from becoming much worse, they have to do something. And they have the maturity to understand that the fix is not easy.

From my generation on, there has been an attitude that someone will take care of things. I get a sense that we're getting to a point where someone might start thinking of taking care of things.

by Anonymousreply 310/06/2013

There is a reason we call them echoboomers.

[quote]But something strange has happened. Many millenials have adopted an attitude that in order to make the world a better place, or even just to keep things from becoming much worse, they have to do something. And they have the maturity to understand that the fix is not easy.

Sounds like the Boomers in the 60s.

It all starts out so well...

by Anonymousreply 410/06/2013

Actually there were a couple of books written about it.

I read the first one - pretty fascinating but not 100% convinced.

by Anonymousreply 510/06/2013
Need more help? Click Here.