Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Anyone else fear for the future of our country?

The government is being held hostage by loons. College costs are skyrocketing and only the very rich can afford the price tag. Students are graduating with massive loan debt and not able to find jobs to pay them back. Housing prices are out of control in bubbles like NY, or else they're plummeting in places like Detroit. The economy is NOT recovering as quickly as predicted. Health care is messed up and very few companies offer pensions anymore. MOst people don't save enough for retirement. Anyone can get a gun. People are too fat and not eating well. Maternity leave in this country is laughable, forget paternity leave. WTF!

by Anonymousreply 11010/19/2013

I fear for the future in general

by Anonymousreply 110/06/2013

Did you just read Maureen Dowd in the NYT about Ted Cruz's Thunderdome?

by Anonymousreply 210/06/2013

Hold me David: I'm scared!

by Anonymousreply 310/06/2013

i'm scared too..

by Anonymousreply 410/06/2013

When I go to bed at night, I pray that I don't wake up again. The world is so horrible, I don't know why anyone has children.

by Anonymousreply 510/06/2013

No more than I did when Bush as in office and I'm not a Bush basher. Keep it together the enemies on 9/11 will win. What's happening now was the goal -

by Anonymousreply 610/06/2013

This thread will give DL drama queens, shower-nozzle masturbation material for weeks!

by Anonymousreply 710/06/2013

I'm 34 and I'll die at the age of 43.

So...not really worried.

by Anonymousreply 810/06/2013

Not really. It's already gone. This is just all the death throes.

by Anonymousreply 910/06/2013

Don't forget about the Comet ISON heading our way in November!

by Anonymousreply 1010/06/2013

No. Here's some things to say to those afraid:

1. You're not alone---I'm here.

2. I'm grateful that you are alive.

3. It's OK to cry.

4. Even if you don't believe in yourself right now, I do.

by Anonymousreply 1110/06/2013

Thanks. R11!

by Anonymousreply 1210/06/2013

This may not end well.

by Anonymousreply 1310/07/2013

Where are you, R11-1? I'm going to bed now.

by Anonymousreply 1410/07/2013

I'm afraid for the future too.

What are good investments? I am saving for rainy day but putting $ in bank seems pointless.

What would you do if you had $1000 to invest? I know it's not a lot but i'm barely making ends meet.

I'm a democrat and my life has gone downhill...

by Anonymousreply 1510/08/2013

I'm afraid over the course of the last 40 or 50 years the influence of a soulless corporate,political and social engineering machine that continues to create a climate of apathy,nihilism,the breakdown of ethics,empathy,identity,responsibilty and self-respect has entrenched itself into many aspects of our Western culture.

As a result,an emotional and cultural vacuum has arisen and I'm concerned about the rising tide of religious fundamentalism we see growing around the planet that seeks to fill it.

by Anonymousreply 1610/08/2013

Don't forget death panels for seniors.

by Anonymousreply 1710/08/2013

Picking up slack for lazy r2.

by Anonymousreply 1810/08/2013

We have Obama, why are you afraid?

by Anonymousreply 1910/08/2013

I've been worried for 30 years. The monsters took over with Reagan and that was the real beginning of the end.

by Anonymousreply 2010/08/2013

I just love my country...and I fear for it.

by Anonymousreply 2110/08/2013

R19 should eat shit and die...tonight.

by Anonymousreply 2210/08/2013

R15, my first investment for under $1,000 was a Kimber .45.

by Anonymousreply 2310/08/2013

Americans are always SO FEARFUL.

Your TV news is so ALARMING and plays on this fear. When I lived there I picked this up too and would come back to England and it was a relief from all the FEAR. England just does DREARY instead. It drones on drearily, but not so fearfully.

This AMERICAN STYLE FEAR IS NOTHING NEW. Look at how they were frightening Americans in 1950.

by Anonymousreply 2410/08/2013

I agree with 24. Paranoia is a way of life now. Throw out your TV.

by Anonymousreply 2510/08/2013

Stop listening to / reading ANY Murdoch owned media. You'll feel the fear receding immediately.

by Anonymousreply 2610/08/2013

R8, why do you think that? Are you Belgian and planning on being euthanized? I'm semi kidding, but concerned just the same...

by Anonymousreply 2710/08/2013

I'm worried about the children! THE CHILDREN!!!

by Anonymousreply 2810/08/2013

I believe the children are our future...

by Anonymousreply 2910/08/2013

I can see clearly now the rain has gone...

by Anonymousreply 3010/08/2013

Hold me David, I'm scared...

by Anonymousreply 3110/08/2013

My partner and I were talking about how quickly the human race has destroyed Earth. Really, it seems as though it has taken less than 70 years.

by Anonymousreply 3210/08/2013

Watch this, Op...watch this EVERYONE. It will make you feel better in no time.

by Anonymousreply 3310/08/2013

This video is much better.

by Anonymousreply 3410/08/2013

The narrator's voice at R24, sends chills up my spine..of terror!!

by Anonymousreply 3510/08/2013

[quote]My partner and I were talking about how quickly the human race has destroyed Earth. Really, it seems as though it has taken less than 70 years.

Less than 70 years? You're kidding.

by Anonymousreply 3610/08/2013

[quote]This video is much better.

Except she was so miserable and such a mess and everyone knows it.

Try this

by Anonymousreply 3810/08/2013

All right, fruit loops, listen to this!

by Anonymousreply 3910/08/2013

America has been spiraling out of control with all this hate and rules that we've been subjected to. Our government is busy bombing third world countries, instead of saving up the money and doing something for us.

by Anonymousreply 4010/08/2013

MORON ALERT @ R37...he's all over the place this evening with his stupidity, bigotry and illiteracy.

by Anonymousreply 4110/08/2013

Your country is finished.

by Anonymousreply 4210/08/2013

hey, anyone knows if con edison reports to credit agency if you're 2 months behind on electric bill?

they report if you're 1 month behind? what about time warner cable? anyone knows? work has been very slow recently...

by Anonymousreply 4310/08/2013

I'll teach you to be happy! I'll teach your grandmother to suck eggs!

by Anonymousreply 4410/08/2013

I thought we were all supposed to be dead already from huge tumors we got from eating GMO corn chips, and HFCS? Where are all those deaths they promised?

by Anonymousreply 4610/08/2013

Truthfully, I honestly don't care.

It's beyond repair. We're overdue for a revolution.

by Anonymousreply 4710/08/2013

R41, he's back. All over the place.

Weird little shit, looking for negative attention. Must have had one squalid childhood.

Ecchhh. Miserable creature.

by Anonymousreply 4810/08/2013

If we can't stop the Koch Bros, ALEC, teabaggers and get some liberals on SCOTUS, yep, we are doomed.

by Anonymousreply 4910/08/2013

You are right R20. In addition to all OP says the really sad part is the apathy, ignorance, fear and acquiescence of the general public. Especially among liberals where action should be coming from.

The responses to any opposition to the status quo - OWS, Manning, Snowden, Wikileaks - has been stunning in their acceptance and regurgitation of the positions of the ruling class and against their own interests.

The zombies are not only on the crazy far-right.

by Anonymousreply 5110/08/2013

I don't get this whining AT ALL. The monsters are gone, and we're in year 5 of 16-or-more for the man who is going to change all that. He is well on his way.

by Anonymousreply 5310/08/2013

R52: the media is owned by the conservatives. They are businesses. But they always were. So what changed?

Thanks for the link. Good article.

by Anonymousreply 5410/08/2013

There is nothing worse than to be afraid. Why die before your time? Let the future take care of itself. Each of us must live now as if it were our last day on earth. Especially now.

Rather than take the route of easy panic, be different. Think of those who lived in the 1940s. That generation really was cool and calm in extreme situations.

While we can't be them, we can at least take one cue from that generation. They knew that if they were powerless to change a situation, they could at least choose how to respond to it, even if it ended in their death.

You always have a choice in responding. Even choosing wrongly is better than being carried away in a swirl of blind panic. So dwell on what YOU can do, not what the world does. If you can do that, the rest will probably take care of itself.

by Anonymousreply 5510/08/2013

I agree that the media in America is fashioned to scare the beejeezus out of everyone, it's as if they think "everyone loves horror films, let's give them one 24/7. I'm 59 years old, when I was a junior in high school I read The Population Bomb, it scared the crap out of me and I thought we had no future. Well we're still here and generations ago people dealt with terrifying stuff as well. The media makes a mint out of their own brand of terror, it looks as if they want to inform but most of it is slick fear mongering.

When the Boston bombings occurred the morning news shows announced "all of Boston is in a terrified panic wondering WHAT will happen next", really? Everyone is in a panic? That is not possible for everyone to emotionally react the same, but the media takes those types of liberties every day.

People like to feel afraid to a certain degree and the media capitalizes on that. When I was sixteen I NEVER would have thought gay marriage would be a possibility or that any kind of acceptance would exist for gays. Hard won improvements from brave people indeed. Nothing good comes from fear so we have to have courage and believe that the human race is just as capable of rising as falling.

by Anonymousreply 5610/08/2013

[quote]When I go to bed at night, I pray that I don't wake up again.

I pray that you don't wake up either, Mary!

by Anonymousreply 5710/08/2013

[quote]Too many zi0nist in the government. It's like Israel is trying to destroy us from the inside. It's working great so far.

Who knew that Roseanne Barr posted here??!

by Anonymousreply 5810/08/2013

r27, the creepy little girl next door told me, after she kissed her doll.

by Anonymousreply 5910/08/2013

Humans have a h*ll of alot of arrogance to think we can destroy this planet. That's egocentric thinking comparable to when we thought the sun revolved around the earth.. Earth will be here way, way long after we're gone. Contrary to what your religions taught you, there was never any guarantee we were suppose to be here forever. It's about time we realize we're expendable just like any other lifeform here that goes extinct when it's purpose has ended or our ability to adapt extinguishes. WE'RE NOT that special and when the earth gets irritated enough, there are plenty of ways nature will diminish our population. Other life forms, a variety too, will be here long after we're not.

by Anonymousreply 6010/08/2013

Supposed to be^^^^

by Anonymousreply 6110/08/2013

She won't hold a black baby!

by Anonymousreply 6210/08/2013

This country is ungovernable. It's too big, and too polarized, and too dangerous to the rest of the world. We need to break it up regionally, a la the old "Jesusland" map.

by Anonymousreply 6310/08/2013

[quote]Students are graduating with massive loan debt

You know, I've never understood why students need $250,000 for college. They get financial aid and then on top of that, they waste money like it's growing on trees. I came out of college without a penny in debt.

by Anonymousreply 6410/08/2013

R54, you're welcome and you're right.

by Anonymousreply 6510/08/2013

What's next is class warfare, and for the disenfranchised groups (i.e. the young) to stage a coup.

The rich have been stealing from the poor through political means, and the poor will steal from the rich through physical means.

If this happens, then the rich Republicans in office will regret fighting for gun rights when the guns are used against them.

by Anonymousreply 6610/08/2013

Maybe institutions shouldn't be charging astronomical sums to educate, R64.

by Anonymousreply 6710/08/2013

This will be like what's happening in Brazil, only on a much larger scale.

by Anonymousreply 6810/08/2013

You know, when I was young, you got a scholarship or you went to a college you could afford? Or maybe you lived with your parents and took a year off to work and save for the next year of college.

Now I realize college has gotten more expensive and wages have gone down...we can blame a government that never does anything for the working man but lavishes tax breaks on the rich...the greedy, obscenely wealthy, assholes. Thanks goes to the Republicans and the traitor Democrats (Clintons).

by Anonymousreply 6910/08/2013

If Boner and his posse of sociopaths end up running us off the fiscal cliff, I would not be a bit surprised for all hell to break loose (not only here, but all over the planet). Martial law could be a real possibility.

by Anonymousreply 7010/08/2013

Thank You, r60.

George Carlin agreed with you and said when Earth has had a bellyful of us,it'll shake us off like a bad case of the fleas."

I'm not fearful. You don't need to be when you have a resigned acceptance of reality. The US is a banana republic, where the wealthy and powerful carry out their gangsterism with impunity while the rest of us try and catch the crumbs falling off the table.

Mario Puzo said it best when he put these words in the mouth of Vito Corleone- "A man with a brifcase can steal more than one with a thousand guns."

The icing on the cake will be supplied courtesy of the US Supreme Court when, this term, they will rule that prohibitions on the amount of money that individuals can contribute to elections are unconstitutional.

Then it's lights out.

I'm so glad, barring sudden fatal accident or illness that I have only three or so more decades.

This country is fucked and it ain't gonna get any better.

by Anonymousreply 7110/08/2013

Speculative fiction has predicted a world controlled by corporate oligarchy for at least a hundred years. It is the ultimate goal of capitalism. Anyone who says different is trying to sell you something (while profitting).

by Anonymousreply 7210/08/2013

You're right, R69. The rich Republicans don't want anyone getting financial assistance from the government unless it's them.

by Anonymousreply 7310/08/2013

Islam's goal is nigh

by Anonymousreply 7410/08/2013

[quote]Your TV news is so ALARMING and plays on this fear. When I lived there I picked this up too and would come back to England and it was a relief from all the FEAR.

I agree. I think when they show some awful thing like a child murdered, they should also say "Meanwhile, 25 million other children has a perfectly lovely day."

When I listen to the paranoia and ignorance out there, I think it can be tied to the media. Fearmongers.

by Anonymousreply 7510/08/2013

NYC mayoral candidate, Bill deBlasio, thinks the answer to all problems is "tax the rich" while promising anything he thinks will get votes.

by Anonymousreply 7610/08/2013

"If this happens, then the rich Republicans in office will regret fighting for gun rights when the guns are used against them."

Yet Liberals are against guns!! So bring it!!

by Anonymousreply 7710/08/2013

Where are the jobs for the young!!

by Anonymousreply 7810/08/2013

This is what it is like to live in a declining empire with media everywhere. When other empires declined most of the populace was not aware of the decline until after it happened. We are made aware of every twitch in the dying American empire by the media, so we are more aware of the decline.

by Anonymousreply 7910/08/2013

[quote]Now I realize college has gotten more expensive and wages have gone down...we can blame a government that never does anything for the working man but lavishes tax breaks on the rich...the greedy, obscenely wealthy, assholes. Thanks goes to the Republicans and the traitor Democrats

I remember working for Mass General Hospital when under Reagan the tax laws changed so that companies could not take a tax write off for tuition paid to employees. Mass General stopped paying for classes unless it was directly related to an employees job. I was enraged at the stupidity of the government for destroying what was a win/win.

by Anonymousreply 8010/08/2013

The Chinese will force the govt. to settle the debt ceiling by the Oct. 17th date. I saw this today:

“The clock is ticking.” Today, UK’s The Independent cited China’s position on concerns about how the shutdown will impact China’s $1.3tn in US investments.

In the article, Chinese Foreign Minister Zhu Guangyao was cited as telling the US to break deadlock over government so China’s investment portfolio will not be harmed. The deadline for action is October 17, the date the fed is projected to run out of cash

by Anonymousreply 8110/08/2013

OP-

Yes, I fear for the future of our country.

Our schools no longer teach children to think, they teach them to obey and give "the right answer" without the tools to understand why it is the "right" answer.

Our corporations are more interested in how they can get laws passed that favor them then instead of creating good products or offering good service.

Our politicians are more interested in making sure that they (and their friends, family and staff) get enough money from the government (or crony capitalist contractors, who hire those "friends and family" in a quid pro quo) than in the future viability of the country.

Our government has spent trillions invading, bombing, infiltrating, supporting, and- most importantly- infuriating backwoods foreign countries, ensuring that 3 generations of these countries now hate America.

Our banks keep "betting on 7!" and know that if they win, they keep the profits, while if they lose, the government will bail them out.

I hope the government shutdown is permanent. They are just parasites that need to be stripped of their power. Returning all powers back to the states is the best solution right now!

by Anonymousreply 8210/08/2013

Please don't flame me because this is NOT a troll post. I'm not a Christian. In fact, I'm a non-cognitive Atheist. But, do you believe this video? As an Atheist, a gay one, I find it scary as hell if it IS true.

by Anonymousreply 8310/08/2013

Interesting video, r83. I do not believe that Muslin = terrorist. I think there are many peaceful and loving Muslins.

I wonder what the people in Arizona think of this?

by Anonymousreply 8410/08/2013

The white nationalist are trying to stage a coup.

by Anonymousreply 8510/08/2013

[quote]I do not believe that Muslin = terrorist. I think there are many peaceful and loving Muslins.

Muslin isn't as peaceful and loving as a nice tulle or chiffon. If you really want terror, try working with crape!

by Anonymousreply 8610/08/2013

R60, Humans ARE fully capable of destroying the planet and the end result of that is soil depletion. It's not talked about much, but soil health is the foundation of life itself. It overrides GMO's, climate change, population issues and everything else. It's almost as if there is a media blackout on the issue.

Here's the good news: we can turn it all around and increase soil fertility by utilizing biological agents and stopping chemical fertilizers. This can happen, and we could end world hunger in a matter of a few years.

The other pressing issue is with antibiotics. We need to invest in developing new ones as resistance is occurring in the tried and true antibiotics of old.

We can do this by using plants that contain anti-viral and anti-bacterial components. Our bodies never develop a resistance to plant treatments, period.

Things are turning around with individuals and big business as well. Ignore the politics, though.

And make your own music!

by Anonymousreply 8810/08/2013

[quote]with crape!

Oh, DEAR...

by Anonymousreply 8910/08/2013

r83 I'm sure the numbers are correct. Talk about "sleeper cells", huh? I wonder what sort of statistics the 300th anniversary of the American Revolution will find?

by Anonymousreply 9010/08/2013

R78, there's no money to create jobs for them, and people on the verge of retirement are too broke to leave theirs and give them their slots.

by Anonymousreply 9110/08/2013

My plan is working.

by Anonymousreply 9210/08/2013

Who cares, we'd be dead by then.

by Anonymousreply 9310/08/2013

It's scary that this subject isn't scary to the average moron. I'm not average, but I thought it was kinda scary!

Most people cannot imagine a world where their granny (or, God forbid themselves) doesn't get a SS or Medicare check deposited each month (despite the fact that the USGovernment has promised it for decades, and that it is "non-discretionary" and only a change in the law would allow this money to NOT be dispersed) and the riots that would ensue after such an event.

That is our reality. Even if the Demopubs decide to make a deal with the Republicrats (and it looks less likely each day!) a few million people have decided the A-boyz government is only interested in what this banking party X wants, and Z-dogz is only interested in what Z-dog can do.

These "people" are parasites, evil bloodsucking creatures that care NOTHING about you or your future.

by Anonymousreply 9410/09/2013

Most in the tea party are armchair warriors. If there was a war and people like me started buying guns and were allowed to kill the baggers legally? I'd go after them with gusto!

by Anonymousreply 9510/09/2013

R95-

Please go to Wal-Mart, or any weapons store, and ask for .38s, 40/40s, 08/6s...hell, anything "mass made".

99.9X they will be sold out.

Google any standard gun size, and you'll find the same. Most online stores don't offer back order.

Think of this way-

If the only people allowed to own guns were the police and military, how easy would it be for them to just decide (perhaps after executing key government officials) that we need to obey and any dissent will be punished at the end of the barrel.

Doesn't that scare you? Don't you understand that such a scenario was the reason behind the 2nd amendment?

by Anonymousreply 9710/09/2013

We. Are. So. Fucked.

by Anonymousreply 9810/09/2013

Oh, joy. On top of being a goldbug, 9/11 denier and completely ignorant of climate change, our resident Libertarian Idiot Troll is a gun nut.

With any luck, he'll try to make some kind of sovereign citizen's arrest and find out just what gummint oppression really means....

by Anonymousreply 9910/09/2013

How do you win a war against nuclear bombs and drones? The government has them, the little guy with his gun arsenal doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 10010/09/2013

R88, you DO realise that it's not the human body that becomes resistant to antibiotics, but the bacteria which colonise the body? A great deal of the pressure the human populace puts on this planet will be alleviated when extremely resistant TB starts its march across the globe, and guns won't save anyone from drowning in their own fluids either.

by Anonymousreply 10110/09/2013

Drowning in my own fluids, yum.

by Anonymousreply 10210/10/2013

[quote]It's scary that this subject isn't scary to the average moron. I'm not average, but I thought it was kinda scary!

Well, yeah, but that's because you're a paranoid loon!

[quote]Most people cannot imagine a world where their granny (or, God forbid themselves) doesn't get a SS or Medicare check deposited each month

Thank goodness I don't have to imagine that world today. All I have to do is take a look at our history to see why these are both necessary and valued.

[quote]That is our reality.

Thank goodness for that. Too bad you're so wholly ignorant of history.

by Anonymousreply 10310/13/2013

If I need to shuffle off this mortal coil quickly, on short notice, without a lot of cash, what's the quickest, most painless way to do it? A shotgun from WalMart?

If you bitches think I'm going to suffer through old age on cat food handouts under a bridge down by the river you're full of it.

by Anonymousreply 10410/13/2013

You think of suicide but not crime and revolution. Where is your spunk?

by Anonymousreply 10510/13/2013

On a sock under my bed. What's that got to do with it?

Everyone else will just be watching me get gunned down on TV if I try to start the revolution. No one in this country thinks beyond themselves or wants to join a cause.

by Anonymousreply 10610/13/2013

My problem is I really hate guns but how am I going to truly revolt without a gun of some kind? A rifle would hurt my shoulder.

by Anonymousreply 10710/13/2013

We certainly need to die from a disease, something, there are too many of us and we refuse to set up suicide centers that would actually be a good idea for both the old and the young.

by Anonymousreply 10810/13/2013

OP, you forgot the destruction of our environment and mass extinction.

by Anonymousreply 10910/13/2013

R104 massive insulin overdose. Insulin is available without prescription but you'll have to supply the syringe yourself

OR

one or two hibachi of smoldering charcoal with you in a tiny, sealed room or closed up car - park some place hard to find - maybe down a sedative or some alcohol to help you sleep before the carbon monoxide kicks in

by Anonymousreply 11010/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.