Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"Where Angels Go, Trouble Follows."

I haven't seen the full movie but this has to be the worst movie title song in existence. Horrible singing and incompetent dancing. Not camp, just awful!

by Anonymousreply 4104/04/2014

its just an attempt at hip and groovy, which is what was sold back then. Forget this sequel, and watch the first movie - its charming and stays away from the pandering to the lowest groovy common denominator....

by Anonymousreply 110/06/2013

Some killer dresses on those babes. What are the white pants the guitar player is wearing made of?

by Anonymousreply 210/06/2013

A nacreous layer of precum and crepe de chine, R2.

by Anonymousreply 310/06/2013

But it's Boyce and Hart! I love singing Boyce and Hart!

by Anonymousreply 410/06/2013

Always had the hots for the tall guy in the white pants.

by Anonymousreply 510/06/2013

You all wanted to be Marvel Ann.

by Anonymousreply 610/06/2013

Aww. I listen to this on YouTube on a monthly basis. I'd hate to think I have bad taste. The throbbing dance cluster always seemed discordantly orgiastic for a movie about nuns though. And they're on the sidelines watching them. Anyway, my friend's mom is Devon Douglas, the prettiest girl with the grooviest dress in that scene.

by Anonymousreply 710/06/2013

I saw it when it first came out (yes, I'm old). It's one of those terrible movies that's really just harmless and fun to watch. Too bad Hayley Mills didn't do the sequel because Stella Stevens is just so woefully miscast. But I do love the giant in the white pants who just had to be that gay frat brother you have sex with when you're really drunk, Marvel Ann who was also in the first movie so you gotta figure she spent about 10 years at St. Francis and Roz and the nuns are a hoot.

And, sorry, I love the music and the title song.

by Anonymousreply 810/06/2013

I loved Stella as the nonconformist nun. Had no idea she had been nekkid in Playboy when I first saw WAGTW.

by Anonymousreply 910/06/2013

Not one of Roz Russell's better movies, but I've seen worse. Like Rosie! for instance.

by Anonymousreply 1010/06/2013

The first movie is a gem. Hayley Mills and Rosalind Russell are the definition of charming, and it has many sweet, funny moments. The sequel is a turd.

by Anonymousreply 1110/06/2013

I agree, R11!

by Anonymousreply 1210/06/2013

For both movies, our classes walked from St. Leo's Grammar School down to the Castle Theatre for a "special" show with the girls Catholic HS (Boland) and the other Catholic school in town, St. Paul. 6 grade and up. It was wonderful being a young Catholic during the Revolution.

by Anonymousreply 1310/06/2013

Like the song. And the movie.

by Anonymousreply 1410/06/2013

R7: Is that Devon Douglas, as in "Devon's going to faint?"

by Anonymousreply 1510/06/2013

With the ever closeted Van Johnson; put me an altar boy frock and let me kneel...

by Anonymousreply 1610/06/2013

It was strange that Marvel Ann was the main character. She was very unappealing - deliberately so - in The Trouble With Angels. This movie had none of the charm or depth of TTWA and that was one of the main reasons why.

She was also in the same class as Hayley Mills' character, yet they didn't graduate together, which made no sense either.

I do enjoy watching it now just for the 60's atmosphere, but it simply can't compare to its predecessor in any way.

by Anonymousreply 1710/06/2013

I think the song is very catchy and I hum it to myself every once in a while. I like how it plays throughout the movie.

And I thought the play between Mother Superior and Sister George was just right, and had something to say about the changing times, both generational and specifically post Vatican-II.

This is a movie I see again every few years and it never fails to please.

by Anonymousreply 1810/07/2013

R3 made me LOL.

by Anonymousreply 1910/07/2013

Lots of Mia Farrow haircuts in that dance scene.

by Anonymousreply 2010/07/2013

Susan Saint James should have been nominated for a best supporting actress Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 2110/07/2013

Fick you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 2210/07/2013

"I haven't seen the full movie but this has to be the worst movie title song in existence."

by Anonymousreply 2310/07/2013

admit it, OP and posters in this're humming that song in your head right now!

by Anonymousreply 2410/07/2013

I could never figure out that Marvel Ann/Mary Clancy plot.

by Anonymousreply 2510/07/2013

The best of both worlds!

by Anonymousreply 2610/07/2013

At least you can dance to that tune.

My vote for the worst title number in motion picture history goes to "Skidoo," performed here by Carol Channing dressed as Lord Nelson.

by Anonymousreply 2710/07/2013

R20 I bet most of the pixies were emulating Twiggy not Mia.

by Anonymousreply 2810/07/2013

Who the fuck names their kid "Marvel Ann"? Were all of the good fruit names taken?

by Anonymousreply 2910/07/2013

I wonder if that's where Charles Busch got one of his names for Psycho Beach Party. Wasn't the pretty girl named Marvel Ann?

by Anonymousreply 3010/07/2013

Boyce and Hart wrote some catchy tunes, but "Where Angels Go, Trouble Follows" is NOT one of them. It's a clumsy-sounding sound, especially the title.

I guess the filmmakers thought they were being very clever when they cast the Playboy Playmate Stella Stevens as Sister George. But it didn't work. Stevens wasn't talented enough to make the viewer believe that a blonde, stacked cutie pie would have a calling to be a nun. I guess the incongruous character was supposed to be funny. But I thought the idea was dumb, just a lame attempt to be "groovy."

by Anonymousreply 3110/07/2013

I'd never seen Stella Steven before, and her blonde (red?) hair was not on display.

I thought she was just fine, especially in the scene with the motorcyclists. And she held her own against Rosalind Russell.

"I fear for my mortal life but not my immortal soul."

by Anonymousreply 3210/07/2013

Before "Where Angels Go", Stella Stevens had always played sexpots, so most people knew had quite a pair of tits and a sweet little ass under her habit and blonde hair, sometimes red, hair. She played Appassionata Von Climax in "L'il Abner", for God's sake. Her casting as a nun was a lame gimmick.

by Anonymousreply 3310/07/2013

R25 Marvel Ann and Mary Clancy were cousins. Uncle George (MA's horny dad) sent her to the nun's for years so he could fuck around. When Mary's parents died and he got custody, he shipped her off to join Marvel Ann.

It is weird that MA never graduated though. Maybe there was some kind of Magdalene Sisters subplot that ended up on the cutting room floor.

by Anonymousreply 3410/07/2013

Since Hayley Mills' character joins the convent at the end of TTWA, I always assumed that Sister George was supposed to be her in the sequel. They both had the same rebellious attitude and were perfect foils for Rosalind Russell. Since they were using Marvel Ann, who was the same age as Mills' character, they couldn't use Mills in the sequel.

by Anonymousreply 3510/08/2013

Sister George is nothing at all like Mary Clancy. They are not the same character.

by Anonymousreply 3610/08/2013

Have to agree with R28. I saw "Skidoo" on TCM a few months ago, and was appalled at how thoroughly bad it was. Can't believe that crap was written by Harry Nillson, who of course went on to write much better stuff.

by Anonymousreply 3704/04/2014

The first film is wonderully warm and charming. The sequel is campy and vapid.

by Anonymousreply 3804/04/2014

I thought the original, while charming, but the sequel was zippy and actually had something to say.

And the bittersweet ending -- change was in the air, but who could have predicted the upheaval that was coming in so many ways.

by Anonymousreply 3904/04/2014

...while charming, was a bit sluggish.

by Anonymousreply 4004/04/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!