Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Could somebody PLEASE tap Robin Thicke on the shoulder and inform him

[all posts by racist flame bait troll removed, ISP notified with full text of all posts.]

by Anonymousreply 5810/06/2013

Hold up, now. Robin Thicke has been doing the R&B thing for years. He was popular with black folk well before he crossed over with the ubiquitous "Blurred LInes." I think he has more street cred than Justine, for what it's worth.

by Anonymousreply 110/06/2013

White people trying to sing R&B?

What a laugh!

by Anonymousreply 210/06/2013

To be honest, despite the performance with Miley, I like Robin Thicke's voice a lot more than JT's.

by Anonymousreply 310/06/2013

Does he really have a big one?

by Anonymousreply 410/06/2013

OP = Marvin Gaye

by Anonymousreply 510/06/2013

White people trying to sing R&B is crazy. It kills me.

by Anonymousreply 610/06/2013

No his first 4 albums? were amazing. He'seems to have went mainstream with this current album but he has consistenly put out true R&B than most. The state of R&B is weak. I guess you never heard of Tina Marie. Getting back to Robin "Complicated_ realeased about 6 yrs ago IMO is his best song

by Anonymousreply 710/06/2013

He sounds like Prince. Prince is white though, right?

by Anonymousreply 810/06/2013

"I think he has more street cred than Justine, for what it's worth"

You leave Ns. Bateman out if this. She's very popular in the non-Caucasian communities.

by Anonymousreply 910/06/2013

[all posts by racist flame bait troll removed, ISP notified with full text of all posts.]

by Anonymousreply 1010/06/2013

His rape song is very popular among white men and women.

by Anonymousreply 1110/06/2013

It's cute watching the elderly attempt to discuss anything in pop culture that happened after 1965.

by Anonymousreply 1210/06/2013

You are correct, R7. He indeed "seems to have went mainstream."

by Anonymousreply 1310/06/2013

What would Gertrude Stein do??

by Anonymousreply 1410/06/2013

I'll keep it simple. He's a vile piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 1510/06/2013

Sadly, AAs love this guy because he married the high yella gal, and THAT gave him credibility in their eyes. Just like Angelina adopting a black child gave her 98% likability/uber love from AA's in America, and her adoption of Asian children gave her 98% likability/uber love from Asians.

It's sad. Really.

Now back to Robin Thicke. He and PP have an open relationship, mostly on his end. PP doesn't fuck anyone else unless it's the ladies he brings home and she actively tells the women that it's ok to fuck her husband. Also, all the women he fucks are WHITE WOMEN, PP is the only BW that he actually knows or has fucked.

Again, the fact that so many AA's love this guy and have supported his career, I am SMDH about it.

by Anonymousreply 1610/06/2013

Plastic culture for plastic people. Performers like him laugh at their fans in private, their do-as-told, sad-eyed fans. I've witnessed this.

by Anonymousreply 1710/06/2013

The fact that RT has been playing on Urban radio and been embraced by urban artists for years reflects that he has R&B cred. African Americans love RT and his music. He is plenty urban.

by Anonymousreply 1810/06/2013

RT was loved by black people well before he married Paula. Long before.

by Anonymousreply 1910/06/2013

r19 Who gets played on "urban" radio has little to do with the viewers. It is complicated. White artist if they sing R&B can easily and in some ways are pushed on to black radio stations. This is in spite that blacks that sing country, rock, or mostly white music have a harder time getting on more white radio stations.

by Anonymousreply 2010/06/2013

Exactly, R22. If corporate music labels had their way, black people would be listening to inept, ALL white performers playacting pantomimes of black music. RT is not exceptional.

by Anonymousreply 2110/06/2013

r23

You shot your own argument down by signing "Pat Boone".

by Anonymousreply 2210/06/2013

You don't get it, R24. That's okay.

by Anonymousreply 2310/06/2013

"Robin Thicke is good, period."

by Anonymousreply 2510/06/2013

R22 is right.

by Anonymousreply 2610/06/2013

[quote] You don't get it, [R24]. That's okay.

What's to get? Pat Boone was enlisted to make a Little Richard hit "palatable" for a white (mainstream) audience.

Prior to Blurred Lines, more black radio listeners knew of, and purchased the music of, Robin Thicke than mainstream pop radio listeners.

Would you like to rant against Lisa Stansfield or Teena Marie?

by Anonymousreply 2710/06/2013

r26 Your Tina Turner example is offensive since rock music is black music. And Tina Turner was doing rock during rocks development.

by Anonymousreply 2810/06/2013

R26, just to let you know black people invented rock music. So, Tina wasn't exactly singing white music. In fact, Ike turner is credited with inventing the first Rock and Roll song "Rocket 88". Get a clue. As for Robin and the rest of his ilk, that music is not R&B. Real R&B music died 30 years ago. The fact that Justin and Robin have hits on the R&B charts shows that authentic black music is dead in this country. I give Amy Winehouse some credit for doing black music better than most black artist today.

by Anonymousreply 2910/06/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 3010/06/2013

[quote] Tina Turner sang rock in the style of white rock bands like the Rolling Stones.

Please stop embarassing yourself.

by Anonymousreply 3110/06/2013

by Anonymousreply 3210/06/2013

by Anonymousreply 3310/06/2013

Well R35, in the case of RT, he is doing it BADLY and CHEESILY and STEALING from a LEGEND named MARVIN GAYE to do it

by Anonymousreply 3410/06/2013

RT is, in a word, smarmy. In other words, he is creepy, average-looking, average-sounding, hyped, and lucky.

by Anonymousreply 3510/06/2013

That wigger (along with cohort Pharrell) has pissed off the black community royally by suing Gaye's family. I hope this mess snowballs and leads to his demise.

BTW-Lisa Stansfield is recording a new album. Cant wait.

by Anonymousreply 3610/06/2013

Can you imagine suing someone from whom you obviously STOLE? Definition of douchebag. DOUCHE. BAG. Could that spoiled, white as a bedsheet, swingin' celebrity child shitstain produce this jam? Doubt it:

by Anonymousreply 3710/06/2013

I love Marvin Gaye, but he was hardly blameless when it came to adding a bit on top of other people's work.

by Anonymousreply 3810/06/2013

He's no me.

by Anonymousreply 3910/06/2013

Thank you OP. Love the usage of "high yellow". Are you an older female of color, I ask? Get yer cotton picking hands off of the DL and head on back to Lipstick Alley and Dlisted, honey hush.

by Anonymousreply 4010/06/2013

R40, at least Marvin credited Leon Ware for the work he did on his albums unlike that buffoon Thicke who wants to take full credit for Blurred Lines which is clearly Marvin's music. Honestly, that record sucks and never would have become a hit if he didn't sample "Got To Give It Up".

by Anonymousreply 4110/06/2013

RT seems kind of dumb, I've seen him interviewed on many shows, he doesn't come across as being very bright. He thinks his smarmy smile is enough, for some it isn't.

He's dull, uninteresting. I like my musicians to be interesting human beings with a more compelling back story.

He's just a weird looking boring white guy, the son of wealthy showbiz parents, a guy who is just plain been lucky.

I like my musicians to have a background story with more drama and more work!

by Anonymousreply 4210/06/2013

Exactly, R44. In other words, an individual, not a "child of" thief.

by Anonymousreply 4310/06/2013

Robin should consider recording a song and name it "Empty Suit And Tie".

by Anonymousreply 4410/06/2013

[quote]Would you like to rant against Lisa Stansfield or Teena Marie?

Teena Marie wasn't some cookie-cutout imitation of every other female R&B singer out there. She had a distinctive sound. Robin Thicke is trying to be the "white Usher by way of Justin Timberlake".

by Anonymousreply 4510/06/2013

I'm not a Robin Thicke fan in the least. It's mostly because of smarmy, self-impressed image he gives off and that others endlessly feed. I can't take him seriously as a sex symbol because he looks like he does bathe, but that's neither here nor there. I really don't mind the fact that he's white singing "black music," though, because that's nothing new, and whether or not he does it well is subjective. To the poster who keeps asking about "black artists singing white music," though, in most circumstances, when a black artists sings ANYTHING, it gets the R&B/soul/rap label. Country singers are an obvious exception. Rihanna sings the same type of pop that Britney, Katy, and Gaga do, but her songs are labeled R&B.

by Anonymousreply 4610/06/2013

[quote]Robin Thicke is trying to be the "white Usher by way of Justin Timberlake".

Except that Justin Timberlake was singing pop for little girls and wearing matching denim outfits with Britney Spears while Robin Thicke had a black audience.

by Anonymousreply 4710/06/2013

Thicke has an acceptable singing voice but he's more of a studio singer than a live one. Obviously he loves r&b music, as he keeps ripping off beats from the late 70s and early 80s. What pisses me off is he feels he "gets" black people and he "knows what they're about and how they are". If you've seen some of his interviews, he tries to talk in a way that makes him seem "so down" with black people and it's offensive.

He gave an interview for some magazine a year or so ago (google and you can find it). He says something like "I only have 5 good white friends but at least 20 black" in a bragging manner, as if that means he's black himself, or that he associates more with blacks than whites. There is no manual to understanding black people, and just as with every group/race/ethnicity, black people are a group made up of INDIVIDUALS. They don't all think, speak, look and act the same way. This bitch grew up rich and spoiled in a mostly white community-what a fucking poser.

The Marvin Gaye lawsuit is disgusting. If y'all notice, his next single hasn't done nearly as well, and maybe only cracked the top 30. Luckily I think he'll just have that 1 massive mainstream hit.

by Anonymousreply 4810/06/2013

What is interesting to me is that RT has steadily put out records for like a decade now?

by Anonymousreply 4910/06/2013

[quote] If y'all notice, his next single hasn't done nearly as well, and maybe only cracked the top 30

Which means he'll return to terrorising you solely on Black Radio!!?!?!

by Anonymousreply 5010/06/2013

r22, but not only is RT played on urban radio, he has been embraced by listeners. I am AA and can tell you that AAs love him and his music, and have way before he married Paula. Further, I can tell you that he is not viewed as some white boy trying to act Black. He is viewed as someone with authentic soul and swagga. He clearly has authentic soul. Black women love him.

by Anonymousreply 5110/06/2013

R52 unfortunately yes many are confused. I have no problem with the type of music he sings, but I DO have a problem with him A) ripping off Marvin Gaye and other 70s/80s singers/songs and B) putting on a "I'm down" front.

He's a phony. I don't understand why so many other AA like him.

by Anonymousreply 5210/06/2013

Actually, it depends on the voice and sound not just pure race. Jordin Sparks is properly considered pop. Her voice and music is not soulful enough to be considered R&B/urban. She gets Top 40 radioplay.

by Anonymousreply 5310/06/2013

Not quite, [R49]. Timberlake's solo album came out before Thicke's, and right from the jump, his music had widespread success with mainstream and black audiences. Unlike Thicke, however, I never got the feeling that Timberlake was purposely trying to make "black music."

by Anonymousreply 5410/06/2013

[quote] He's a phony. I don't understand why so many other AA like him.

He hasn't jumped on the Eurodance bandwagon.

by Anonymousreply 5510/06/2013

There are many non-Black people that genuinely and authentically love and identify with so-called black culture. I do not find anything wrong with this. If genuine, African Americans often take it as a compliment and embrace the non-Black person. I think some White people resent White people who identify with Black culture because they think White culture is supreme.

by Anonymousreply 5610/06/2013
Need more help? Click Here.