Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Did media help the younger generation become more accepting of homosexuality?

You find guys kissing one another as a joke and not giving a shit. It got to the point that the "no homo" had to be created. Straight guys are getting more and more gay and not giving a shit - how did we get to this point? Media? The internet?

by Anonymousreply 510/06/2013

Will & Grace brought gay men into the family rooms from Miami to Maui

by Anonymousreply 110/06/2013

No, the media loves the flamers and the butches

by Anonymousreply 210/06/2013

The media doesn't seem overly gay-friendly to me, lots of top shows don't have any gay content at all. Straights are slow to give up their unearned privilege, but I guess they know it is ending so I expect to see increasing gay visibility soon.

by Anonymousreply 310/06/2013

I think Glee helped. It caters to the point of view of teenagers. Not every kid is gay, but almost every kid can relate to the pain of bullying, and Kurt Hummel made a good underdog. When he and Blaine got together, that was a romantic love story teens could relate to. Santana and Brittany were also girl next door cheerleader types and easy to relate to.

They exposed teens and their parents to the idea that gay people had hopes and dreams like theirs, they weren't some unlikable, perverted, scary monsters. A lot of young people, and older ones, were not getting that point of view at home or church. Nothing sways the public like a slow burn, will-they-or-won't they love story..

I think long term, people will look back at that and recognize it helped create a turning point in the popular conscience.

by Anonymousreply 410/06/2013

What the Freeper OP wants to know is if you-know-who-controlled mass media is corrupting good Christian youth with same-sex.

Fuck you, anti-Semite!

by Anonymousreply 510/06/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!