Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

That Tom Hanks 'Captain Phillips' film looks absurd

[all posts by racist flame bait troll removed, ISP notified with full text of all posts.]

by Anonymousreply 2910/16/2013

Saw it last night... Way too long and not extraordinary enough to be good. Some good acting from Hanks, the villain is a great actor but a little too "nice" and not menacing enough... Really a clusterfuck because it could have and should have been great. Truly forgettable.

by Anonymousreply 110/06/2013

Why is this being presented in IMAX?

by Anonymousreply 210/06/2013

Hanks has never been too cheap to be used as a shill for the military and the like.

by Anonymousreply 310/06/2013

It should be renamed "Wilson's Revenge"

by Anonymousreply 410/06/2013

The trailer alone puts me to sleep. Who'd pay money for this snoozefest?

by Anonymousreply 510/06/2013

People who want to see black villains. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 610/06/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 810/06/2013

[all posts by racist flame bait troll removed, ISP notified with full text of all posts.]

by Anonymousreply 910/06/2013

I'm from Boston, and my antenna is tuned to hear bad New England accents. And Tom's in the trailer was laughably bad. I didn't know the Captain was a New Englander, but, man o man, is that one fake accent. It's almost as bad as Kevin Costner's in "13 Days."

by Anonymousreply 1010/06/2013

It looks like totally racist pro-USA pro-military propaganda. I caught the trailer during the Breaking Bad finale and it disgusted me; it looked like something straight from Bush W's first term. I thought Paul Greengrass had better sense than that.

by Anonymousreply 1110/06/2013

You idiots. Have any of you (besides one) even seen the movie? It's fantastic. It's neither pro-military nor racist or anti-whatever. It presents the story as it happened, and explains the rationale behind Somali pirates without making them seem like either sad pathetic Africans or crazy psycho Africans. And Hanks is fantastic in it.

by Anonymousreply 1210/06/2013

Anyone who thinks Tom Hanks is Jewish needs to get their Jew-dar fixed

by Anonymousreply 1310/06/2013

Could they make the Somalis look any more rat-like? It reminds me of WWII propaganda that depicted the Japanese as rodents. Haven't we moved beyond this kind of gross racial characterization yet?

by Anonymousreply 1410/06/2013

by Anonymousreply 1510/07/2013

Silly R12, when have you ever seen anyone on DL actually watch a movie before eviscerating it? DL must hate stupidly and blindly.

by Anonymousreply 1610/07/2013

Spoiler alert: At the end of the film, everybody dies when Sandra Bullock's Chinese spaceship falls on the boat.

by Anonymousreply 1710/07/2013

The really life Captain Phillips is being sued by 9 of his crew members. They argue that the captain disregarded warnings about the pirate infested waters and did not change his route. they say the movie is fiction.

by Anonymousreply 1810/07/2013

Now THAT'S funny, R17.

by Anonymousreply 1910/07/2013

[B]Could they make the Somalis look any more rat-like?[/B]

Those actors do NOT look like rats.

by Anonymousreply 2010/07/2013

by Anonymousreply 2110/08/2013

R20, the main villain's nickname in the film is "Skinny Rat."

by Anonymousreply 2210/08/2013

Jesus Christ, how is this racist? This actually happened and the pirate/terrorists were Somali. Would you have preferred that they cast white people in the roles? And for the person who said they look like "rats" - YOU my friend are the racist here. They don't resemble rats in the least. They look like normal Somali men.

by Anonymousreply 2310/08/2013

Perhaps skinny rat was his real nicknameor is that was the anglos on the ship called him?

by Anonymousreply 2410/09/2013

It's a true story. Facts are a bitch to the PC crowd.

by Anonymousreply 2510/09/2013

I just saw it because of the reviews.

I usually stay away from Tom Hanks movies, but...in those final 10 minutes, I think he is as good as movie acting gets.

The movie is way too long and the director really overuses the hand-held camera and I needed a dramamine. However, the movie dos a good job presenting the Somali reality. It is David vs. Goliath and it is very sad.

However, why didn't you tell me that Max Martini was in it? Yummerz

by Anonymousreply 2610/16/2013

R4 better end up on that sidebar on the left.

by Anonymousreply 2710/16/2013

A true story can always get the spin any way you like. That's the point.

by Anonymousreply 2810/16/2013

CNN ran a story about how the captain ignored repeated warnings about pirates in the area and that he intentionally ignored the specific warning to stay AT LEAST 600 miles off shore.

The captain even admitted to seeing those warnings.

by Anonymousreply 2910/16/2013
Need more help? Click Here.