Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Heaven's Gate

I watched it! All 3:45 minutes!! I vcr-ed it last Feb and have finally finished it.

I agree with TCM 's Ben. It wasn't that bad. Any recollections of it? Did Jeff Bridges or Walken talk about it on theit Inside the Actor's Studio chats?

This must have pretty much ended Kristofferson's career, no?

Mickey Rourke has a tiny role and the man is absolutely gorgeous....wow what he did to his face is a crime. With what he had to start with he'd probably still be gorgeous today if he had stayed away from the knives (never bought that it was because of boxing excuse)

by Anonymousreply 1810/15/2013

I never understood the bad rep. I kind of liked it. Maybe not the greatest film, but very far from the worst.

by Anonymousreply 110/05/2013

But showing Isabel Huppert's cunt and letting the guys keep their clothes on turned me off. I saw it on Hollywood Boulevard, the best place to see it.

by Anonymousreply 210/05/2013

I thought that too r2. Too much Hupert nudity and she wasn't even that pretty.

by Anonymousreply 310/06/2013

"I vcr-ed it last Feb"

Thanks for posting, Grandma

by Anonymousreply 410/06/2013

oops meant dvr-ed it

by Anonymousreply 510/06/2013

The movie itself was secondary to the amount of money they spent on it. It was dead on arrival because every article talked about the money and only mentioned the movie in passing. Even if it has been a true masterpiece, the costs (and all the drama surrounding the studio's handling of those costs) would have killed it.

Ishtar suffered the same fate. It wasn't a horrible movie, but it too was DOA because all anyone wanted to talk about was how much they pissed away making it.

Actually, John Carter got the same treatment last year.

by Anonymousreply 610/06/2013

It was also called "Johnson County Wars" and has to be the only historical war film that doesn't tell you who won.

by Anonymousreply 710/06/2013

Isabelle Hupert's casting was a big deal. The executives didn't want her. Fonda, Keaton, Sally Field all turned it down. I wonder if M was offered it? How did she get along with Cimino during Deer Hunter?

by Anonymousreply 810/13/2013

oops a link:

by Anonymousreply 910/13/2013

r8 - read Steven Bach's "Final Cut".

He more than suggests that Cimino was in love (unrequited) with Huppert...

by Anonymousreply 1010/13/2013

I thought Cimino became a woman.

by Anonymousreply 1110/13/2013

Likewise - I rather liked it. No idea why it got such bad reviews.

by Anonymousreply 1210/13/2013

the link at r9 is the documentary version of Final Cut

I always thought Hupert was supposed to be a french woman in the film

by Anonymousreply 1310/13/2013

Who bumped this thread form 1983?

by Anonymousreply 1410/15/2013

No, it's not the worst flm ever made, but it's hardly a good film. The story has no real focus and there are all these characters (like the one played by John Hurt) who could be eliminated.

Like the seemingly endless wedding scene in DEER HUNTER, there's a whole sequence at Harvard and then a skating rink scene in this film, both of which seem to go on forever.

Cimino was way too in love with himself after THE DEER HUNTER'S success.

by Anonymousreply 1510/15/2013

In the good old days certain films would get "exclusive" engagements in New York City. One or two theaters would play the picture for weeks, maybe months, before it would go wider into New Jersey and Long island. In the 50's & 60's some pictures, like "The Sound Of Music" would play a whole year before expanding to popular price theaters. United Artist gave "Heaven's Gate" an exclusive 70MM opening on the Upper East Side's Cinema 1 theater, a prestige house where pictures like "Dog Day Afternoon", "The Exorcist" and "Clockwork Orange" premiered.

So UA treated it like a first class picture, they even had the side of a building painted with the movie's poster. After a week, the execs panicked and because it was on only one screen, they pulled it out of distribution.

Cimino later cut the 3 hour 39 minute cut that UA would release after he handed in a five and a half hour cut, to a manageable two-hour twenty-nine minute version that was released wide six months later. It was too late and the damage was done.

by Anonymousreply 1610/15/2013

After winning the Oscar for "The Deer Hunter" idiot movie executives thought they had a genius on their hands and allowed Cimino to do anything he wanted. They didn't have a genius; they had a megalomaniac to end all megalomaniacs. He was insane.

The movie may not be as bad as it has been made out to be, but it's still a piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 1710/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.