Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is your first floor open concept?

When did we start hating walls?

by Anonymousreply 5710/08/2013

Walls became unfashionable as the means to have in-house servants diminished. Now people need "sight lines" to watch kids or participate in entertaining while multi-tasking.

by Anonymousreply 110/05/2013

The last house I owned was like that. We really enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 210/05/2013

My concepts are first floored.

by Anonymousreply 310/05/2013

And there is no distinction between formal rooms and informal. Everything is geared to watching the fucking TV and microwaving Jayden's dinner, preferably at the same time so we don't miss an instant of Fox And Friends.

by Anonymousreply 410/05/2013

by Anonymousreply 510/05/2013

Every DIY on reddit involves tearing down a wall. So sad.

I'm in love with craftsman houses. You're lucky to find one that hasn't been gutted for an open floor plan.

All that good oak is painted white and even the entry doors are updated to look like something out of "little house on the prairie".

by Anonymousreply 610/05/2013

[quote] Now people need "sight lines" to watch kids or participate in entertaining while multi-tasking

Exactly. Practically every "House Hunters" or "Love It or List It" has mom wanting to tear down walls so she can see the kids while she cooks, does the laundry, or works on her online business.

by Anonymousreply 710/06/2013

I think the rise of lofts as homes also fueled the trend.

by Anonymousreply 810/06/2013

No, my home is a 1922 Craftsman bungalow, so no open concept here.

by Anonymousreply 910/06/2013

My first place was open concept with a large kitchen, dining area and family room all open to each other. There also was a living room/dining room both open to each other.

Got laid off, moved and down sized to a 1945 bungalow. The place is half the size of my first house. Every room as a door on it, including the kitchen.

I prefer open concept. I don't like feeling as boxed in as I am. I've propped open the kitchen door permanently. I often think about removing it all together.I don't enjoy having people over as often because with the kitchen so removed from the living area, I feel cut off when I'm making dinner etc.

I think open concept just reflects the way we live now. Women aren't locked in the kitchen slaving over a hot stove any more.

The only upside to all my little boxed in rooms is that I can close them off if I've been lazy and not been cleaning as often as I should.

by Anonymousreply 1010/06/2013

My hole is open for all oncomers

by Anonymousreply 1110/06/2013

Hello Patrice

by Anonymousreply 1210/06/2013

I used to live in a gorgeous,open concept home built by my ex-husband.

Upon entering the front door,you'd see a single room with a kitchen in one corner, a dining area across the counter and a TV room.

The floor was cherry wood and above, two gorgeous wood beams extended across the room.

My ex has grown to regret it. He told me that if he could re-do it,he would NOT go with the open concept.

He doesn't like it that the first thing that draws your eyes when you enter his home is a sink, a counter and kitcen appliances.

He has a point. Walls serve a purpose.

Plus,walls create mystery to a home;something that I look back to with fondness in recalling my childhood.

by Anonymousreply 1310/06/2013

Why would ANYONE want to be viewed by guests when they are working in the kitchen? Mary! That only works in TV commercials.

by Anonymousreply 1410/06/2013

Yes my home is open concept. I like cooking and having people over for dinner and the open concept allows me to participate in the festivities while I'm cooking.

by Anonymousreply 1510/06/2013

You do realize that Joan Crawford started this whole trend of tearing down walls.

by Anonymousreply 1610/06/2013

How long will it it take for granite tops to be passe?

by Anonymousreply 1710/06/2013

Why people long to gaze at their refrigerators from every corner of the public area of their house or apartment is a mystery to me. (The only thing uglier are those hideous "pass-throughs" between dining room and kitchen.) And no matter how nice, how luxurious, how whisper silent your refrigerator, it's still a refrigerator. You can't ever have a nice house or apartment when your refrigerator is at one end of the same space as your (only) place to sit and relax.

I can understand that some people may want a large kitchen, that they might prefer a large, open space or series of spaces for part of their house or apartment, but living in vast, loft-like spaces is the stuff for swinging bachelor fuck pads or for single people who lead especially orderly, zen lives. (And in a small apartment, having everything in sight of everything else just seems grim, an unrelenting reminder that you can't afford better.)

It doesn't seem a dream situation for two or more people who might want to watch two TVs at the same time, or when one person wants to read or work while another watches TV, or to have a laptop wank while someone else makes dinner... It might work for someone living alone, otherwise it seems to enforce upon the inhabitants a cooing lovebird closeness, with everyone gathered watching everyone else eat, drink, sleep, watch TV, scratch their ass.

I'm not a person who entertains a lot, but who are these people whose homes exist mostly to entertain endless guests and who have to have everyone in sight at all times? The most entertaining, most-likely-to-play-host people I've known all value privacy -- and walls.

There's an exception in large places that could be viewed as a series of separate open spaces, or which have a division between open areas and a variety of defined rooms. In that situation there's variety and choice; it's more a case of an expansive variant of traditional room arrangements.

by Anonymousreply 1810/06/2013

My first floor is L-shaped, so while there are no doors dividing the rooms there are some walls delineating rooms, with open doorways. You can't see into the kitchen from the living or dining rooms, but the family room does extend from it. Some sightlines are blocked though.

When we entertain, my husband tries to keep guests in the living room when I'm busy in the kitchen. I don't like having them underfoot when I'm putting the finishing touches on dinner.

I am glad my kitchen is not visible from the formal rooms. I like the more traditional setup.

by Anonymousreply 1910/06/2013

R18 you sound weird. What's so offensive about a fridge? If two people are wanting to watch different tv's you have dens/offices and bedrooms they can go to. I also don't have "endless" guests but I do cook for friends and family a lot and we like to chat and gossip while I'm cooking.

by Anonymousreply 2010/06/2013

I don't know anyone who uses formals any more and the ones who still have them never go into them and they seem to be very sterile and cold because it's not a real living space. Like the old ladies and their plastic covered furniture.

by Anonymousreply 2110/06/2013

My sister had her main living area redone to an open concept, and while it looks nice and makes the house look much more spacious, we can never enjoy watching TV while her loud, chatty, and overbearing husband keeps talking in the kitchen or dining area. If we turn up the volume, his booming voice gets even louder and drowns out the sound. Walls provide barriers to such offenses.

by Anonymousreply 2210/06/2013

remember today's fridgerator look like cabinets and not like the refrigerator

by Anonymousreply 2310/06/2013

This again? So soon? Alright.

Yes, the social areas of my home are open concept, which I much prefer to closed off little boxy compartments. The kitchen is arranged so that it's not the first thing you see when you come in the front door, but is still open to the social flow so I don't feel segregated from our company while managing the business of entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 2410/06/2013

I would never live in an open concept home. They're hideous.

by Anonymousreply 2510/06/2013

Grew up in a house with rooms/walls. And none of this open shit at the beach. Walls! Rooms! It is what makes a house a home, to me. Could not live in a "studio." A dorm room is one thing, but looking for an apartment in the Village I was grossed out by the number of one-room affairs being called apartments. You'd enter in a kitchen! Or pass a coatrack beside a stove, have a kitchen sink at the foot of your bed, etc. My dad says it is because after WWII Levittowns went up without separate dinning rooms. Money was saved on building walls, so a table went in one corner, a sofa in another. They called it an "Open Plan" and it became the thing. Today a large open kitchen, with tables & fireplace & seating area can be fun. As long as you don't sit in a living-room area looking at it.

by Anonymousreply 2610/06/2013

By the way it's pronounced ooopen plan

by Anonymousreply 2710/06/2013

Back when we used to have a LOT of kids, we made them play outside.

They weren't even allowed in the house until supper.

by Anonymousreply 2810/06/2013

Former dining rooms and formal living rooms are just wasted space. The footage is often more creatively used in open foor concept. My old home had a beautiful former dining room that was used maybe three times a year during formal occasions. Even at casual dinner parties, everyone gravitated towards the kitchen or backyard. Same thing with the living room. I think it's a matter of creating the space that fits in with contemporary lifestyle.

by Anonymousreply 2910/06/2013

[quote]former dining room

Oh Dear!

by Anonymousreply 3010/06/2013

real estate agents are vampires

by Anonymousreply 3110/06/2013

The help should neither be seen nor heard.

by Anonymousreply 3210/06/2013

[quote] My old home had a beautiful former dining room that was used maybe three times a year during formal occasions.

Um, that's the POINT of a formal dining room, genius.

by Anonymousreply 3310/06/2013

R33, yeah genius and with the lack of area in many homes, it's wasted space, which was the point of the post.

by Anonymousreply 3410/06/2013

A formal Dining room is so company doesn't have to eat in your kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 3510/06/2013

"Some" people eat dinner in their dining room every night.

by Anonymousreply 3610/06/2013

I would love to get a really really large studio apartment. With the kitchen just being along one wall? That'd be nice. In a high rise, floor to ceiling glass windows with a great view. I'd also like a big open bathroom, with a big shower where there's no wall or curtain or tub or shower door... it's just big enough that it doesn't matter. Kind of like some of the websites like Sean Cody have.

If I got a house, first I'd need enough money to pay folks to do any and all exterior maintenance. But if I got a house I've always thought a big open center courtyard would be awesome. With some small trees and a little natural looking fountain and pond. The fountain would look like a little rock hill and the water would run down the rocks.

I grew up in a small home, probably under 1500sqft. If I had kept my parents' house, I would have opened up the attic and the basement to make the areas liveable. As it was they were just a whole lot of wasted space.

by Anonymousreply 3710/06/2013

Early, open concept.

by Anonymousreply 3810/06/2013

R37 one of the houses of my childhood was an ordinary looking ranch-style but when you went through the very plain front door you entered a huge courtyard with a 200 year old oak in the center and lush landscaping. All of the rooms had French doors to the courtyard. Sadly, a few years ago I drove by and it looked abandoned and dilapidated.

by Anonymousreply 3910/06/2013

Sounds nice R39. Sad about it's current state. Where is it? Maybe I should go try to get squatter's rights!

by Anonymousreply 4010/06/2013

In Houston R40, city of my birth.

by Anonymousreply 4110/06/2013

Sounds like many of you lack basic entertaining skills. Most of the work should be done in advance so that you dont have to leave your guests for more than 5 minutes at a time. Clean up is done after last guest leaves. Who wants to have to look at a messy kitchen and a sink full of dirty dishes during a party?

by Anonymousreply 4210/06/2013

R42 proper entertaining is having cocktails first perhaps along with some pate or cheese. You don't eat right away, at least not the ones I've been to, and you can clean as you go but no one wants cold food and some dishes need to be served immediately after cooking.

by Anonymousreply 4310/06/2013

Yes, the sling is right next to the breakfast nook.

by Anonymousreply 4410/06/2013

Open floor allowed heat to emanate back in the old days. A fireplace was center. I like a ski lodge/log cabin floor space.

by Anonymousreply 4510/06/2013

Why are 90% of real estate shows Canadian?

by Anonymousreply 4610/06/2013

I didn't actually live in one, but my two aunts & cousin all had the 70s ranch house. I think it was the lack of windows. Seems like the back yards were bigger. Would love to know the area r39

by Anonymousreply 4710/06/2013

I grew up in a house where my parents had taken out most of the walls on the ground floor. We were a large family, so that meant we were together all the privacy.

Also, my Dad, who acted as if he was hard of hearing most of the time, could hear what you were whispering about him when you were on the other side of the house (technically two rooms away)!

You can keep your open floors! I'm all for walls and doors.

by Anonymousreply 4810/06/2013

Cool pic r38

by Anonymousreply 4910/06/2013

we fell in love with open concept when we all wanted to be Mary Richards

by Anonymousreply 5010/06/2013

First floor? You mean my only floor?

by Anonymousreply 5110/06/2013

[quote] you sound weird. What's so offensive about a fridge?

R20: There's nothing offensive about a refrigerator, and certainly nothing inoffensive about a refrigerator in a kitchen. But to sit around with friends or guests or by myself in a/the main seating area in the house, a refrigerator is not something I want to see -- nor a stove nor a wall oven nor a sink nor other kitchen appliances and fittings. There's no shame in these things, I just don't want them as focal points from 40 feet away.

A painting, a sculpture, a bookcase, a good piece of furniture, some architectural feature such as a fireplace or window with a nice view, these are good focal points. Singling out the refrigerator as symbol of a kitchen, I don't want to put mine in pride of place, first and last thing thing you see, front and center in my house anymore than I want to have my guest enter from the garage, the better to see my shiny car.

HGTV-fueled tastes aside, good architecture doesn't turn on kitchens and bathrooms (and the rest be damned.) In well-designed houses, those spaces can be striking and vital, kitchens at least can be great entertaining spaces, but refrigerators and toilets and double sinks shouldn't be in the driver's seat of home design.

by Anonymousreply 5210/06/2013

The open plan a conspiracy to keep women at home and in the kitchen?

by Anonymousreply 5310/08/2013

Lets hear it for split levels - you get both walls AND open space. My only walls are around the kitchen. Nothing worse than your host cleaning up while entertaining. Bitch, I came to your party to VISIT, not shout over the dishwasher/sink/garbage disposal while you're cleaning up!

by Anonymousreply 5410/08/2013

If people "entertain" so much, why are they so against formal dining rooms?

by Anonymousreply 5510/08/2013

Because a formal dining room restricts the guests. Most entertaining, you eat a little, you drink a little, you smooze a little, you watch a little of the Lakers game. You don't sit for three hours in a room with lace tablecloths.

by Anonymousreply 5610/08/2013

Maybe that's how you entertain, r56, but that's not how I do it. My guests are served drinks and h'or d'oeuvres in the living room while they mingle with each other, while my husband plays host and I finalize dinner in the kitchen. When it is ready, I serve it in the dining room.

The television is located in the family room, not visible from the dining room, so guests actually focus on and interact with each other.

by Anonymousreply 5710/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!