Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why is chemotherapy so painful?

Don't they provide pain medications, nausea medications, etc.?

by Anonymousreply 710/05/2013

Yes they provide anti emetics, for nausea and pain meds. Chemo is toxic. It kills a lot of good cells with the bad. It is a lot better than it used to be.

by Anonymousreply 110/05/2013

Had a colorectal tumor which was extremely painful when it became inflamed as it was pressing on prostate, bowel, and bladder.

Pain meds like opiates would have caused constipation and further complications.

Sometimes -- especially at night when I couldn't sleep -- the pain was so overwhelming that I had no concern about survival. That was liberating in that I was able to sort of meditate the pain away. What I remember most about those 6 or 7 months of my life was the sound of my purring cats, who always slept next to my head.

For my case, the meds weren't painful, per se, but the nausea and dizziness were horrible. I was stoned and drunk for months and didn't care about much.

I don't think chemo is the source of physical pain for most patients and each type of cancer and each case is different.

by Anonymousreply 210/05/2013

R2 Wow, sorry you had to go through that. I hope you're doing better now. Thanks for replying.

by Anonymousreply 310/05/2013

Thanks, OP! Am still cancer-free so far (4 mos.) as much as various tests and scans can tell, and am totally pain and symptom-free. But am still a drunken stoner.

by Anonymousreply 410/05/2013

I know what I'm hoping for OP's future.

by Anonymousreply 510/05/2013

Chemo kills everything in your body that's growing fast. It's poison, intentionally so.

by Anonymousreply 610/05/2013

Some isn't that bad and they can usually control the nausea. I don't think it's as bad as it used to be.

by Anonymousreply 710/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.