Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Has M ever talked about the "Holocaust" miniseries?

I know it was television, but it was her first exposure to a mainstream audience. I've never heard her discuss it. Is she ashamed of it? No, it was no "Out of Africa," but it was a quality production in TV terms.

by Anonymousreply 2010/07/2013

OP try using the search function.

We've already talked about it.

by Anonymousreply 110/05/2013

No one calls Meryl Streep M except the M Troll.

by Anonymousreply 210/05/2013

Her boyfriend at the time, John Cazale (best known as Fredo Correleone) was dying of cancer. She said that she used her personal pain and channeled it into her character

by Anonymousreply 310/06/2013

"No, it was no "Out of Africa,""

Is that supposed to be an insult?

by Anonymousreply 410/06/2013

R3 also she needed the cash, so she could take time off to care for him.

She says she did it for one simple reason, the money,

by Anonymousreply 510/06/2013

Didn't she win an Emmy for her role? You all make it seem like she was slumming it?

by Anonymousreply 610/06/2013

She won an Emmy for Holocaust. She deserved it. She was wonderful in it. And beautiful, too.

Where did the quote about her saying The Holocaust was "garbage" come from? I've never seen it anywhere...except on Datalounge. She did say that her role was "relentlessly noble" and that she took the part because she needed the money. But I've never seen the "garbage" remark verified anywhere else. I somehow doubt she said that.

by Anonymousreply 710/06/2013

The hole miniseries is on youtube in 70+ parts.

by Anonymousreply 810/06/2013

Remember that Holocaust was quite controversial. Although it was gushingly praised in the US, many, if not most, countries in the world would not show it because of skipping happily off to Palestine in the end.

by Anonymousreply 910/06/2013

I'm re-watching the miniseries now. The performances are excellent and the overall story is compelling, but the tone a little too melodramatic, the characters not very multi-dimensional, and dialogue is cliche-ridden. I wouldn't exactly call it garbage.

by Anonymousreply 1010/06/2013

M likes to play that poverty card so we all think she came from the slums and worked her way up. Sort of like how she couldn't apply to Julliard because the application fee was too high.

BITCH PLEASE! She grew up in Summit, NJ, took singing lessons with Beverly Sill's teacher, attended the theatre on Wed. matinees, went to Vassar, Yale, and hooked up with Casale. Did she ever wait tables? doubt it

by Anonymousreply 1210/06/2013

I'll never forget back in the late 70's sitting in a gay bay, reading some short-lived gay mag because, needless to say, I wasn't the center of attention. Some fool was reviewing Woody Allen's atrocious Manhattan with the inevitable raves. In fact, he said it was a " Meryl Streep testament of life." Ever since then , she's been hurling her testaments of life at us and expecting the movie going public to throw themselves in front of a train in her honor.

by Anonymousreply 1310/07/2013

[quote] The hole miniseries is on youtube in

Presenting now!

by Anonymousreply 1410/07/2013

She felt her character was too saintly.

by Anonymousreply 1510/07/2013

is that when she started her collection of nazi memorabilia?

by Anonymousreply 1610/07/2013

Meryl Streep presented her hole in a concentration camp?

by Anonymousreply 1710/07/2013

Didn't she play the wife of James Woods' character? Isn't that a memory that one would want to repress? Seems worse than having to choose between one's children.

by Anonymousreply 1810/07/2013

[quote]Didn't she play the wife of James Woods' character?

yes but I don't remember her having too many scenes with him...they were separated for most of the film by his being in the camps

by Anonymousreply 1910/07/2013

[quote]She was wonderful in it. And beautiful, too.

Steep went from beautiful in her twenties to matronly in her mid thirties. The whole mature beauty thing just passed her by.

by Anonymousreply 2010/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.