Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Jeanne Eagels version of "The Letter"

It's available from the Warner Archives. Has anyone here seen it?

by Anonymousreply 1410/06/2013

Anyone? Bueller?

by Anonymousreply 110/05/2013

I wouldn't mind seeing it but not enough to fork out $25 to order a copy.

by Anonymousreply 210/05/2013

Rough print.

by Anonymousreply 310/05/2013

Who the hell cares about that old drug addict?

by Anonymousreply 410/05/2013

I've seen it. Eagels is really intense though at times her performance seems motivated more by withdrawal than technique. I've heard you can see track marks on her arms but the print I saw was pretty scratchy so I couldn't tell. The racism angle is much clearer though. Herbert Marshall who played the husband in the remake is the murdered lover in this one.

by Anonymousreply 510/05/2013

Jeanne was Bette Davis's idol

by Anonymousreply 610/05/2013

Eagels performance and work ethic during "The Letter" impressed executives so much, she was offered another two pictures before filming was completed on the first.

Her performance isn't consistent, but she is a stage actress begrudgingly adapting to the process of film making.

Jeanne did not inject any drugs into her system. Heroin crystals were found in her autopsied brain, but the method of ingestion was probably a mysterious elixir administered by the doctor in whom's office she died on October 3, 1929.

by Anonymousreply 710/05/2013

[quote]the doctor in whom's office

In whom's??

Talk about "oh, dear"!!!!

by Anonymousreply 810/05/2013

Jeanne was rumored to have been with Libby Holman

by Anonymousreply 910/05/2013

A bump in the road while riding the white horse R8.

by Anonymousreply 1010/05/2013

[quote]Jeanne was rumored to have been with Libby Holman.

Which is not a safe place to be. No wonder she died young.

by Anonymousreply 1110/06/2013

OP: The movie is disappointing. I was expecting a larger-than-life performance from Eagels after all the legend-making, but she's nothing special. A certain underlying tension makes her portrayal interesting, and, unlike the Bette Davis remake, it's virtually a filming of the play with the script cut down, which at least gives the movie some documentary value, even if it was Katharine Cornell who played the part in the theatre. On Amazon or somewhere, I read reviews that raved over Eagels' final scene as if it brought back the glory days of Old Broadway, but it really isn't all that thrilling. Save your money.

by Anonymousreply 1210/06/2013

Just watched it. I have to agree with r12 that the movie was nothing special. The 1940 version has infinitely better direction and the screenplay structure is better - I like how the 1940 version keeps "Geoff Hammond" mostly off the screen, making their relationship more mysterious until Bette's big "I was in love with Geoff Hammond..." speech.

I did like Jeanne Eagels though. She's definitely watchable (if a little over-the-top in some scenes)

by Anonymousreply 1310/06/2013

[quote]she's nothing special

Yes, she was. Her personal and professional life was in the press as much as Marilyn Monroe's during the 1950s.

Eagels greatest success was onstage as Sadie Thompson in "Rain." Had she, and not Gloria Swanson filmed "Sadie Thompson" in 1927, her legacy would be more than a temperamental actress who overdosed.

by Anonymousreply 1410/06/2013
Need more help? Click Here.