Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Obama Would 'Think About Changing' Name Of Redskins

WASHINGTON -- WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama says that if he owned the Washington Redskins, he would "think about changing" the team name, wading into the controversy over a football nickname that many people deem offensive to Native Americans.

Obama, in an interview with The Associated Press, said team names like the Redskins offend "a sizable group of people." He said that while fans get attached to the nicknames, nostalgia may not be a good enough reason to keep them in place.

"I don't know whether our attachment to a particular name should override the real legitimate concerns that people have about these things," he said in the interview, which was conducted Friday.

An avid sports fan himself, Obama said he doesn't think Washington football fans are purposely trying to offend American Indians. "I don't want to detract from the wonderful Redskins fans that are here. They love their team and rightly so," he said.

But the president appeared to come down on the side of those who have sharply criticized the football team's name, noting that Indians "feel pretty strongly" about mascots and team names that depict negative stereotypes about their heritage.

Other professional sports teams have Indian nicknames, including football's Kansas City Chiefs and baseball's Atlanta Braves and Cleveland Indians.

Numerous colleges and universities have changed names that reference Native Americans. St. John's changed its mascot from the Redmen to the Red Storm, Marquette is now the Golden Eagles instead of the Warriors and Stanford switched from the Indians to the Cardinal.

The Redskins' nickname has attracted a fresh round of controversy in recent months, with local leaders in Washington calling for a name change and some media outlets refraining from using the name. The name is the subject of a long-running legal challenge from a group of American Indians seeking to block the team from having federal trademark protection.

Congressional lawmakers have introduced a bill seeking the same goal, though it appears unlikely to pass.

Opponents of the Redskins nickname also plan to hold a protest Monday outside the NFL's fall meeting in Washington.

Team owner Dan Snyder has vowed to never abandon the name. But NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said last month that the league should pay attention to those offended by the nickname — a subtle change in position for Goodell, who had more strongly supported the nickname in his previous statements this year.

Despite the controversy, an AP-GfK poll conducted in April showed that nationally, "Redskins" still enjoys wide support. Nearly 4 in 5 Americans don't think the team should change its name, the survey found. Only 11 percent think it should be changed, while 8 percent weren't sure and 2 percent didn't answer.

Obama said he doesn't have a direct stake in the Redskins debate since he's not a team owner. But he hinted that might be part of his post-White House plans.

"Maybe after I leave the presidency," he joked. "I think it would be a lot of fun."

He added: "I'd probably look at a basketball team before I looked at a football team. I know more about basketball than I do about football."

by Anonymousreply 5010/07/2013

He really needs to learn what is his business and focus on big issues.

by Anonymousreply 110/05/2013

He's 100% right and you know it.

by Anonymousreply 210/05/2013

I don't give a fuck if he is right or not. I do give a fuck about a president keeping himself on presidential issues. This is not a presidential issue.

by Anonymousreply 310/05/2013

OK, cupcake. Dial down the rage a notch, 'k?

by Anonymousreply 410/05/2013

How about changing the ruling class's game plan where the middle class is wiped out so that the super-rich can get even richer?

Wouldn't that be a little more meaningful and compassionate, Mr. President?

by Anonymousreply 510/05/2013

PC run amuk

by Anonymousreply 610/05/2013

Imagine a team named the Black Skins or the Yellow Skins.

by Anonymousreply 710/05/2013

[quote]Imagine a team named the Black Skins or the Yellow Skins.

Those terms don't exist.

by Anonymousreply 810/05/2013

How many Native Americans can afford a luxury box at the stadium where the Redskins play?

How many can even afford the fee to park a car at the stadium?

Four years from now Obama will be making more delivering one speech at a corporate function than most working people make in three years.

But at least he won't have us offend any Natives. THAT'S what's important, right?

by Anonymousreply 910/05/2013

[quote]Those terms don't exist.

Then wrap your pea-brain around these and see if these sound "off" to you:

The Saint Louis Darkies

The New York Kikes

The Arizona Wetbacks

The Pittsburgh Polacks

The Minnesota Krauts

The Boston Micks

The LA Orientals

The Atlanta Crackers

The Miami Spics

The San Francisco Fairies

by Anonymousreply 1010/05/2013

"I don't give a fuck if he is right or not. I do give a fuck about a president keeping himself on presidential issues. This is not a presidential issue."

Every American has the right to express his or her opinion. One doesn't give that up because one is the president.

next!

by Anonymousreply 1110/05/2013

r10, those terms don't exist. You need to compare it to a derogatory term that does exist, and has been used for sale. You're too stupid for this subject.

by Anonymousreply 1210/05/2013

[quote]Every American has the right to express his or her opinion. One doesn't give that up because one is the president.

Obama has gotten into deep shit for running his mouth on non-presidential issues. He's not a regular American, hon.

by Anonymousreply 1310/05/2013

WTF - He was asked in an interview. How is he supposed to respond to the question?

"Oh, I can only talk about politics"?

by Anonymousreply 1410/05/2013

He should have said. "This is not a matter of concern to the state" with a dismissive wave of his hand.

by Anonymousreply 1510/05/2013

Obama gets into deep shit for doing anything. He's fucked if he does, fucked if he doesn't, fucked no matter what he says, about the narrowly presidential or the broadly general.

He's made the decision to say what he wants to say and not unduly stand on ceremony. A rather mature decision.

I say this as someone who is often critical of the president. At times certain things he's said and done I've vehemently disagreed with.

But, what I keep in mind, and what so many people seem to not be mindful of even though they would likely feel exactly the same way if they thought about, is that I can say exactly the same about every single president of the U.S.. And I am likely to say the same about every future one.

by Anonymousreply 1610/05/2013

Oh, honey, if I can deal with the Fighting Quakers, they can deal with the RedSkins.

by Anonymousreply 1710/05/2013

[quote]I don't give a fuck if he is right or not. I do give a fuck about a president keeping himself on presidential issues. This is not a presidential issue.

What's wrong with you? Have you been evaluated or are we going to see you on the news trying to ram the gate at the White House with your car?

by Anonymousreply 1810/05/2013

R18, nothing is wrong with me, I expect a president to address matters at a significantly higher level.

by Anonymousreply 1910/05/2013

They should change their name, but it's a mistake for him to comment on this, This has nothing to do with the president of the United States.

by Anonymousreply 2010/05/2013

Of course the name Redskins should not be used. It's racist and demeaning. And if it were happening to any other group of people besides Native Americans it would not be tolerated. The name is a disgrace.

by Anonymousreply 2110/05/2013

R17, I'm sure you think your response is clever, but really. Smallpox? Trail of Tears? Wounded Knee? Sand Creek? Seminole Wars?

Which of those horrific human deeds involved The Society of Friends on the receiving end?

by Anonymousreply 2210/05/2013

R20, he is President of the US American Indians, too. He shouldn't speak to their issues, ever? Even when asked a direct question?

by Anonymousreply 2310/05/2013

[quote] Oh, honey, if I can deal with the Fighting Quakers, they can deal with the RedSkins.

"Quaker" is not a derogatory name, you false equivalency troll.

Change the name. And when people complain and ask why, it can be a reminder of how we once treated people in this country who were here before us. Let it open up a dialogue. Our land was once someone else's, and it's un-American to forget they way we treated people here. It wasn't just segregation, we flat out slaughtered people for their land and we must never forget the sins of the past.

by Anonymousreply 2410/06/2013

Why does that asshole think he has a dog in every fight? Just once, I'd like to hear him say "I have no real opinion on that..." Can't wait until he's just a dim memory.

by Anonymousreply 2510/06/2013

Oh, OP, give it up. You're a right-wing troll on this board to stir up shit.

You're answering yourself in this thread, just as you did in the last thread you posted about nobody in California signing up for Obamacare. Got a lot of time on your hand, don't you, dear?

Remember: troll-dar will catch you every time.

by Anonymousreply 2610/06/2013

I am glad he is getting involved in this issue. I am hopeful he devotes much more time to it. It keeps him from attempting to act presidential (cringe worthy). He's done more than enough damage with his policies, speeches and ineptitude.

Next up after the Redskins, the Braves and then Indians. Hopefully, that gets us to the next election.

by Anonymousreply 2710/06/2013

Ugh, R26...just ugh...

by Anonymousreply 2810/06/2013

[quote] Just once, I'd like to hear him say "I have no real opinion on that..."

Because he'd be basically saying he doesn't care about a group of people who've had a troubled relationship with America.

What he should have said is that he agreed the name should be changed, but that it is up to the American people to make it happen.

by Anonymousreply 2910/06/2013

He should change the name of the Democratic Party to Republican Lites just so we know what we're getting when we vote for "liberals" like himself and Hillary who are in the pockets of Wall Street and the Pentagon.

by Anonymousreply 3010/06/2013

Sorry, R26. I meant R24

by Anonymousreply 3110/06/2013

Let's make the subtext text: Obama should keep his mouth shut because he might upset the white folk by daring to suggest there's something wrong with the name of a football (sacred!!) team.

by Anonymousreply 3210/06/2013

While we're at it, why doesn't somebody ask him "What's your favorite color?"

by Anonymousreply 3310/06/2013

Let the dead bury their dead...

by Anonymousreply 3410/06/2013

President BUTTINSKY

by Anonymousreply 3510/06/2013

This thread is rife with overly sensitive queens!

by Anonymousreply 3610/06/2013

[quote]Why aren't we talking about the bigger issue, which is the fact that this entire country was stolen from indigenous peoples?

Because we shouldn't spoil our victory by gloating.

by Anonymousreply 3710/06/2013

Chris Rock has a funny riff on this.

by Anonymousreply 3810/06/2013

MARY!!

by Anonymousreply 3910/06/2013

Despite the "We're honoring Native Americans" bullshit, Dan Snyder knows better than anybody else that "Redskins" is a slur.

I'm even willing to believe that deep down in the cold recesses of his lump-of-coal-heart he knows that the name "Redskins" should be changed.

He'll be damned, however, if that happens on his watch as long as he's alive and owns the team. There's too much dough-ray-mee tied up in the licensing of the logo, and other revenue generating bric-a-brac.

And when will you right-wing-bigots quit? I'd love to see how far you'd get in telling an African-American or Jew that they have bigger things to worry about in the face of the NY Heebs or the Washington Coons.

That's right-I wouldn't see it because you wouldn't dare to tell any other ethnic/racial/religious group where,what and when they'll be offended.

Change the damn name to the Washington Teabaggers

by Anonymousreply 4010/07/2013

There's a backlash towards Obama over this, especially since over 70% of the country is for keeping the name. You don't mess with Americans' sports. Sports are extremely important to American culture. The name also stems from the paint Natives donned under their eyes. Obama needs to learn to keep his mouth shut. I feel for him though. He would have been better off saying that the owners have to make a decision, and that he wants to concentrate on discussing the debt ceiling. Americans are hearing him take on this issue while the government is shutdown. That also irritates the hell out if them. This was a bad political move and it's all over the news.

by Anonymousreply 4110/07/2013

[quote]He is President of Indian Americans, too.

Oh, dear. The irony!!

by Anonymousreply 4210/07/2013

[quote]They should change their name, but it's a mistake for him to comment on this, This has nothing to do with the president of the United States.

Precisely.

by Anonymousreply 4310/07/2013

R32 has it.

by Anonymousreply 4410/07/2013

[quote]Let's make the subtext text: Obama should keep his mouth shut because he might upset the white folk by daring to suggest there's something wrong with the name of a football (sacred!!) team.

RIIIIIIIIIGHT. He is God Incarnate. He is Perfection. Any criticism of this Holy Man is racist.

by Anonymousreply 4510/07/2013

See, he isn't a Republican!

by Anonymousreply 4610/07/2013

Silly political correctness. No wonder there is polarization.

by Anonymousreply 4710/07/2013

How about renaming the team "Injuns"?

Or they can make the fan's 'tomahawk chop' a punishable offence.

by Anonymousreply 4810/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.