Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Justin Timberlake's Movie Career Is A Flop

Twentieth Century Fox/New Regency’s Ben Affleck and Justin Timberlake starring thriller Runner Runner grossed just $2.8M Friday including $200K for late shows before opening in 3,024 theaters. Studio didn’t expect more than a meager $10M-$12M for the weekend but now that estimate has flatlined to $7.9M. Brad Furman directed this flop about the less-than-riveting realm of offshore online gaming that earned a dismal ‘C’ CinemaScore from audiences.

by Anonymousreply 21610/04/2014

Go see it. It's AWESOME!

by Anonymousreply 110/05/2013

Can they finally give up trying to make Timberfake happen as an actor?

by Anonymousreply 210/05/2013

The reviews are having fun with this one. "IF RUNNER RUNNER had been made years ago—when Ben Affleck was a washed-up former half of Bennifer, and Justin Timberlake was a pop star with Top Ramen hair—it would have been an acceptable effort. "Not bad for a couple of d-bags!" we'd have said. But the world expects a lot more out of 2013 Timberfleck. Unfortunately, Runner Runner doesn't deliver."

by Anonymousreply 310/05/2013

Not only that, it appears Affleck's still not much of a draw as a leading man only. He should take the hint, and stick to directing.

by Anonymousreply 410/05/2013

It got an 8% on Rotten Tomatoes...

by Anonymousreply 510/05/2013

Who's been greenlighting movies lately? Internet gambling, Formula One racing, abduction by Somali pirates... are the studios trying to bore us to death?

by Anonymousreply 610/05/2013

Justin Timberlake hitting many of the right notes with acting career

by Anonymousreply 710/05/2013

Sure, R7, too bad they forget the to hit the most important one: do audiences want to see him act in movies? The answer is a resounding HELL NO!

by Anonymousreply 810/05/2013

Affleck can't aaact. Neither can Timberlake. Why so surprised?

by Anonymousreply 910/05/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 1010/06/2013

The movie is AWFUL. I work for the studio and you should see the dailies of JT. He is as feminine as can be. The editors had to edit out all his fem. Trust me it wasn't easy.

by Anonymousreply 1110/06/2013

Studio guy here...oh and Ben A phoned in his entire performance. Like he could didn't even WANT to try.

by Anonymousreply 1210/06/2013

R11, I guess Timberlake couldn't stop thinking of Jay Z's big cock. That would feminize any boy.

by Anonymousreply 1310/06/2013

I could not agree more, R2!

by Anonymousreply 1510/06/2013

and enuf with Gemma Arterton....she's fat and a bad actress!!

by Anonymousreply 1710/06/2013

[quote]OP, Justin has had many films that have done very well. You can hardly judge based on only this film.

Take a look at his IMDB page. It's littered with flops and bombs. The only true hits in there are Bad Teacher and The Social Network.

by Anonymousreply 1810/06/2013

Exactly R18. Of course, he was not a lead in either of those films. If he insists on being in movies, he'll have to accept being a supporting player. He's just not leading man material.

by Anonymousreply 1910/06/2013

Studio / r11, i've read that before about editing out his fem. Question is why do they bother. All that work and the final result still sucks and flops. Why dont they give up on him? Who does he have the goods on to keep getting these roles?

by Anonymousreply 2010/06/2013

[quote]You guys are full of shit and we can smell you for days

Wow! That's some seriously unattractive terminology.

& who are the 'we' you're referring to?

by Anonymousreply 2110/06/2013

Thread Title Fail! It should be "Justin Timberlake's Collapse is Almost Complete!"

by Anonymousreply 2210/06/2013

TimberFake cannot act and everyone knows this. Unfortunately, he's one of those industry favorites, and part of it is likely because he's willing to give his flat ass up to the movie heads.

Unfortunately, we'll be seeing him AGAIN in the upcoming Coen brothers' movie entitled "Inside Llewyn Davis", in which TimberFake has a supporting role. I'm sure that movie will be much better than "Runner Runner" but it will have more to do with the Coen Brothers and the rest of the cast than TimberFake, obviously.

by Anonymousreply 2310/06/2013

If people could see dailies they'd be aghast to see how bad a lot of actors TRULY are.

by Anonymousreply 2410/06/2013

by Anonymousreply 2510/06/2013

YES! I can confirm that, R25.

It's mind-blowing that someone with so little talent used to take millions home for her "work".

by Anonymousreply 2610/06/2013

*take home millions

by Anonymousreply 2710/06/2013

I don't get his popularity at all. He's not attractive. He's a bad actor and he sings like a girl - not a woman, a girl

by Anonymousreply 2810/06/2013

Timberlake is utterly unappealing, as is Affleck. Those two shouldn't be allowed near a movie camera.

by Anonymousreply 2910/06/2013

If he really insists on being an actor he should stick to light comedy. He thinks he's a serious "artiste" but he isn't. He was awful in In Time. People here call Matt Bomer a bad actor but he out-acted Justin in their scenes together.

by Anonymousreply 3010/06/2013

Even so, at least they finally edited a passable performance out of her. They can't get that from Timberlake apparently.

by Anonymousreply 3110/06/2013

Unfortunately this no-talent bitch will keep getting movie parts. I just hope he never gets to play an important historical or cultural figure (I'm not counting the facebook movie).

by Anonymousreply 3210/06/2013

Bad cast, bad chemistry.

by Anonymousreply 3310/06/2013

It's been longer than a decade of someone trying to make Top Ramen hair happen. He just isn't attractive enough. His recording career was a fluke. Lots on teenie boppers who didn't know better.

by Anonymousreply 3410/06/2013

You're ridiculous r34, his music is for real. He's had four hit albums solo plus another 2-3 with his bband. His acting on the other hand is a joke.

by Anonymousreply 3610/06/2013

R36, name one of his tunes that is in the collective consciousness besides "Dick In A Box".

by Anonymousreply 3710/06/2013

Are you kidding dude? Sexyback.

by Anonymousreply 3810/06/2013

His face has a certain quality that says there isn't much going on behind it. It's not a crime to be stupid, but it is embarrassingly obvious that JT is in way over his head.

by Anonymousreply 3910/06/2013

"He just isn't attractive enough"

Plenty of people find him attractive. His problem is that he has little talent or onscreen "presence" and he doesn't come across as manly enough for action movies.

by Anonymousreply 4010/06/2013

[quote]Who's been greenlighting movies lately? Internet gambling, Formula One racing, abduction by Somali pirates... are the studios trying to bore us to death?

You forgot "One Chance", the highly-anticipated Paul Potts bioflic

(Oh--and you're welcome):

by Anonymousreply 4110/06/2013

"Playing at 3,026 locations, Runner Runner bombed this weekend with just $7.6 million. That's one of the worst openings ever for a movie in over 3,000 theaters."

"Regardless of the cast, though, people aren't going to show up for a movie if it doesn't look like there's an interesting story, and Runner Runner's looked as generic as they come."

"Runner Runner received an awful "C" CinemaScore from audiences, and it would be surprising if it earned much more than $20 million by the end of its run."

The production budget is estimated at $30 million.

by Anonymousreply 4210/06/2013

^ I think some execs believe that if a subject is interesting to them, that means it is interesting enough to attract an audience of millions, which is why we get so many awful vanity projects and movies that seem intended for a "niche" audience but cost $100 million to make and market

by Anonymousreply 4310/06/2013

There's absolutely nothing masculine about him.

by Anonymousreply 4410/06/2013

"He is as feminine as can be."

Just queen out, throw a tantrum and get it over with.

R39 So I am not the only one who noticed this. The kid is lost.

by Anonymousreply 4510/06/2013

I think he has some talent (not a lot), and R40 is 100% correct that he doesn't have a strong "presence" onscreen, which is his major problem. When he has a supporting role, he can be effective (he's good in SOCIAL NETWORK and INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS).

But there's no way he can carry a movie. Judging by the coming attractions for RUNNER, RUNNER, you barely notice him when Affleck in on the screen (and Affleck is no DeNiro himself).

by Anonymousreply 4710/06/2013

The studio knew it had a flop on its hands if they released this the same weekend as GRAVITY, which is already a huge hit.

by Anonymousreply 4810/06/2013

Now y'all need to dish on who JT is sucking and fucking in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 4910/06/2013

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Anonymousreply 5010/06/2013

R46 we get it. You're a pressed TimberFake stan. Why the outrage? It's a name seen all over the internet. Dude's an acting flop and only a mediocre talent in general, get over it.

by Anonymousreply 5110/06/2013

Went to the movies today and saw a poster for him in the new coen brothers film no less. Hollywood just keeps trying to make this mediocre singer happen. Doesnt he play a college student in runner runner and he is in his early thirties?! Jesus christ!

by Anonymousreply 5210/06/2013

runner came in 3rd this weekend. so not a total loser, huh?

by Anonymousreply 5310/06/2013

His high voice gives him a juvenile quality, so that's not surprising.

by Anonymousreply 5410/06/2013

"runner came in 3rd this weekend. so not a total loser, huh?"

It had no competition, other than Gravity.

by Anonymousreply 5510/06/2013

It does raise the questions of sex for parts or sex for career access. His career is interesting only in that he possesses nothing needed to engender fame apart from the "industry discipline" of being a dancing Disney boy whore who supported his family. The grotesque video ridiculing the poor at his phony wedding really brought out the disgust in many.

Hollywood needs a reboot.

by Anonymousreply 5610/06/2013

He's not only disciplined but pretty shrewd. While I think he lacks raw talent, he does have personality. That's even more apparent when you see him on British Talk shows where young American celebrities (Zac Efron, Chris Pine, Usher) come across as stiff and humorless.

by Anonymousreply 5710/06/2013

[quote] The grotesque video ridiculing the poor at his phony wedding really brought out the disgust in many.

It brings out the curiosity in me. I've never seen or previously heard about this video. Justin makes some dickhead remarks about poor people? He's an insensitive 1%'er who thinks his shit don't stink?

by Anonymousreply 5810/06/2013

R58 some friends (maybe it was some of the men in his wedding like the best man or something?) made it and showed it at the wedding for all the guests to laugh at. TimberFake was forced to speak up about it after it went public. I'm sure he laughed his flat ass off when he watched the first time though.

by Anonymousreply 5910/06/2013

[quote]runner came in 3rd this weekend. so not a total loser, huh?

Yeah, except Gravity made $55 million and this couldn't even crack $10 million.

by Anonymousreply 6010/06/2013

Justin Timberlake seriously needs to stick to his music. He's getting terrible reviews for his acting performance in Runner, Runner...yet, getting great reviews for his 20/20 Experience album.

by Anonymousreply 6110/06/2013

Actually the reviews haven't been great for the second half of the album set.

by Anonymousreply 6210/06/2013

Thanks for the info r59, I'm going to look for an article about it. I definitely dislike elitists, especially a pampered Disney brat like him. As if he wouldn't have ended up a complete nobody if he hadn't lucked out at the MM club audition.

by Anonymousreply 6310/06/2013

R40, just like I said. That's not being attractive [i]enough.

by Anonymousreply 6410/06/2013

Actually, his new album has been panned across the board...

by Anonymousreply 6510/06/2013

Thank you R65. He's donzo! The shame is he took the place of someone we'll never see who had talent but no connections.

by Anonymousreply 6610/06/2013

R65---you turn to the Washington Post for music reviews? That's like looking through Popular Mechanics for a good restaurant in town.

by Anonymousreply 6710/07/2013

Pitchfork doesn't like it either, r67.

by Anonymousreply 6910/07/2013

I don't think he'll give up. He may just be the new Madonna and continue foisting his talentless self on Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 7010/07/2013

So now we've figured out TimberFake flips his flat ass up for A) hip hop rappers B) hip hop producers C) old white film directors

There's no other way to explain the amount of work he has been given. He's a mediocre singer/dancer/actor and his looks are mediocre. He's so blah. There are so many hotter and more talented guys out there.

Thank goodness "Runner Runner" rightfully flopped.

by Anonymousreply 7110/07/2013

r63 - Someone who laughs at a video where some down and out people are used for sport isn't "elitist," he's just a low life. Not the same as being elitist. (No doubt JT considers himself fairly elite, but that's something different.)

by Anonymousreply 7210/07/2013

I can't stand him but all my straight friends love him. They find that crap he does on SNL hilarious. They also think has music is edgy and smart. I have stupid friends.

by Anonymousreply 7410/07/2013

R74

No, they just drank the Hollywood Kool-aid.

by Anonymousreply 7510/07/2013

On SNL he's cute and charming. His problem in movies is that he just isn't masculine at all. He can cover that up playing a male character in a minutes-long song or skit, but once he has to act like a normal man among other men, he is indeed lost. All he knows how to do with other men is lie down, roll over and beg.

If he is still determined to act after this flop, he should look for roles that are a closer match to his real personality. Wasn't he supposed to play Elton John in a biopic? That's something he might be able to handle. He did a great job of it in that video years ago.

by Anonymousreply 7610/07/2013

[quote]may we ask what you have accomplished in your life?

This is not ABOUT R71. Anyone, irrespective of their personal accomplishments, can discuss the merits of any music that someone has chosen to "put out there." Sorry to be so "Captain Obvious" about it.

by Anonymousreply 7710/07/2013

He should have joined SNL troop for a year a few seasons ago.

by Anonymousreply 7810/07/2013

Hopefully he learns the tough lesson that Madonna never learned, which is that he can find success in the movies, just not in a leading role. He's too much of a superstar to ever suspend the audience's disbelief of him as an everyman protagonist. The reason why he found success as Sean Parker in The Social Network (and Madonna found it with A League of Their Own and Desperately Seeking Susan) is that they're larger than life supporting characters that audiences could buy them as, and with which they could imbue their over-the-top performance charisma.

by Anonymousreply 7910/07/2013

R78 He couldn't handle it. A skit here or there, but being there week after week, actually writing them?

R76 I agree and that would be interesting.

by Anonymousreply 8010/07/2013

I think he was trying to go for nerdy, but he appears to be extremely femme with a speech impediment.

by Anonymousreply 8110/07/2013

[quote]Sean Parker in The Social Network (and Madonna found it with A League of Their Own and Desperately Seeking Susan) is that they're larger than life supporting characters that audiences could buy them as, and with which they could imbue their over-the-top performance charisma.

I thought he was mediocre as Sean Parker and praise was undeserved. He portrayed Sean as a mincing queen, not a het party boy and internet mogul. It was buried amongst better performances by Jesse Eisenberg and Andrew Garfield and they just carried him along.

by Anonymousreply 8210/07/2013

Hey girls! If you don't get off the computer you are going to miss your bus to the mall and docked a day's pay!

by Anonymousreply 8310/07/2013

[quote]He can cover that up playing a male character in a minutes-long song or skit, but once he has to act like a normal man among other men, he is indeed lost. All he knows how to do with other men is lie down, roll over and beg.

LOL. That is the true tea. I've said this a hundred times, he should just play gay. But he's too insecure to do it.

by Anonymousreply 8410/07/2013

He wasn't a mincing queen as Sean Parker, but he was awkward and clearly overthinking everything to the point that he seemed weird and unstable. A mincing queen would've been better.

r84, I don't think it's just he's insecure / not ready to come out, I think he's also got a lot of management around him making a lot of money on a "straight" star.

by Anonymousreply 8510/07/2013

[quote]Timberlake is utterly unappealing, as is Affleck. Those two shouldn't be allowed near a movie camera.

No, Affleck should be allowed on the OTHER SIDE of the movie camera.

by Anonymousreply 8610/07/2013

If he made a movie about being a casting couch whore and fucking for tracks, I'd watch. I don't even find him hot but it would be a fitting and amusing role for him.

by Anonymousreply 8710/07/2013

It must irk him deeply that his Mickey Mouse co-star and former roommate Ryan Gosling is getting raves for his Oscar nominated work. His last studio album/cd was in 2006,the same year Ryan broke thru with Half Nelson. After that,Timberlake concentrated mostly on film work but he doesn't have Ryan's acting chops.

Stay in your lane, Justin!!

by Anonymousreply 8810/07/2013

[quote]Timberlake concentrated mostly on film work but he doesn't have Ryan's acting chops

Or, his pussy is not as appealing to those with power in the film industry.

by Anonymousreply 8910/07/2013

Variety: Why Justin Timberlake Should Stop Acting

by Anonymousreply 9010/07/2013

The real problem is simply that this seems more like a movie you'd watch on Cable or Netflix than in a theater.

by Anonymousreply 9210/07/2013

I dont care if his movies flop, Justin like Ryan Phillippe, Jake G, i see their movies for their looks.

by Anonymousreply 9310/07/2013

by Anonymousreply 9410/07/2013

by Anonymousreply 9510/07/2013

[quote]I dont care if his movies flop, Justin like Ryan Phillippe, Jake G, i see their movies for their looks.

true dat

by Anonymousreply 9610/07/2013

R93 Ryan and Jake I understand but Jussy? That boy's looks ain't shit.

by Anonymousreply 9710/07/2013

by Anonymousreply 9910/07/2013

R90, I see that self-loathing homo Ramin Setoodeh is up to his old tricks, criticizing a feminine actor as unconvincing in a leading role.

by Anonymousreply 10010/07/2013

You nuts, R101? He said nothing of the sort:

Throughout the ’80s and mid ’90s, Bette Midler, Cher and Madonna all had viable film performances (and an Oscar win). But something changed in Hollywood around the time that “Total Request Live” marked the final hurrah for musicvideos. It could be that the millennial generation found the idea of big screen divas unappealing or the bubble gum pop stars weren’t versatile enough to make the leap.

But whatever it was, many one-named superstars who tried to transition to the big screen flopped — from Britney (“Crossroads”) to Mariah (“Glitter”), Christina (“Burlesque”), Jessica (“Dukes of Hazzard”) and Kelly (“From Justin To Kelly”). Jennifer Lopez may be the exception, but she was introduced to Hollywood as a dramatic actress first in “Selena.”

In the new Hollywood model, the singers who successfully bridge into film do so in supporting or character roles. Jennifer Hudson won the Oscar for “Dreamgirls,” even though it was Beyonce’s name at the top of the credits.

After Mariah failed in “Glitter,” she redeemed herself in “Precious.” Lenny Kravitz is a great stylist for Katniss in “The Hunger Games.” Lady Gaga has cameos in Robert Rodriguez’s “Machete 2” and “Sin City 2.” Adam Levine makes his movie debut in “Can a Song Save Your Life?” with Keira Knightley and Mark Ruffalo. Taylor Swift, who had a small role in “Valentine’s Day,” was recently announced in “The Giver” with Streep and Jeff Bridges.

If there’s one lesson Timberlake can learn from all these other acts, it’s that he should stick to ensemble parts, because he can’t carry a film on his own. His best onscreen work has been wedged between other strong performances in both “The Social Network” and “Inside Llewyn Davis.” But after “Runner Runner,” I still think he should take a break from the movies. Please stop sending him scripts.

by Anonymousreply 10410/07/2013

Justin Timberlake's problem is that we don't have variety shows on television anymore, and his music isn't interesting enough for adults over 30 to buy. If he had been famous twenty- thirty years ago he would have had a variety show on NBC. He would have been very popular. A mix of interviews, skits, and singing and dancing. Plus he would have shown his talents against other talents. You can see that on SNL.

He also needs a MGM to clean him up. Do you think Bogie screamed classic hero at first? A movie studio would have taken off the white trash look,changed his voice, and showcased his better skills( his personality, his dance moves, his boyish nature). The movie roles he picks are what he wants to be seen as not who he really is.

That's why his best movie is "Black Snake Moan" where he plays himself, a white trash loser who can't come to grips with growing up and facing adult things. That is also why so many people think he is gay. He gives off a Peter Pan like quality that works for young girls but not real adults, who are only midly amused by him on SNL.

And if Michael Jackson were alive, Justin Timberlake would be as important as David Cassidy.

by Anonymousreply 10510/07/2013

JT overreaches. I thought he was fine in Social Network. He basically played a version of himself. And he made money off some forgettable romantic comedies. But being in a movie with Affleck as a co-star, put him at a whole other level and he just doesn't measure up. He does well with forgettable junk like In Time, but he should do an occasional movie for fun, not as some kind of serious actor. JT is bullshit as an actor. He's like Ashton Kutcher, except JT has a successful music career to fall back on.

by Anonymousreply 10610/07/2013

I thought In Time was actually underrated.

by Anonymousreply 10710/07/2013

"I still think he should take a break from the movies. Please stop sending him scripts."

This made me burst out laughing.

by Anonymousreply 10810/07/2013

R105 Vadge has been in only a couple decent movies, and none of them were decent because of her performances. Remember when she tried carrying "Swept Away"? Hell that movie she directed last year fucking sucked too and she didn't even act in it. She just doesn't have good instincts when given too much control/responsibility.

TimberFake is not an actor either but he's so hyped up by the media that he thinks he's an entertainment jack-of-all-trades. He's really a master of none.

by Anonymousreply 10910/07/2013

And Ryan Gosling can sing, too!

by Anonymousreply 11010/07/2013

Is 'Runner Runner' worse for Ben Affleck or Justin Timberlake?

It says something about our weird multihyphenate celebrity era that the two lead actors of Runner Runner are both highly regarded for everything besides their acting. Ben Affleck just won an Oscar as the director-producer of Argo, part of a larger career renaissance that started with Gone Baby Gone and The Town. And Justin Timberlake is, well, Justin Timberlake, the omnipresent musician who split his comeback album in two and saw both parts climb to the top of the music charts. It seems unlikely that either of them are smarting over the box office failure of Runner Runner, partially because it still seems unlikely that either of them actually starred in Runner Runner.

And yet, the film’s failure offers an intriguing microcosmic look at the nature of Affleck’s and Timberlake’s star power. Neither of them needed the movie to be a hit, but both of them probably wanted the film to perform well. Upon close analysis, both men had a lot riding on Runner Runner. Let’s try to figure out who was more affected by the film’s failure.

Justin Timberlake: Few people have ever wanted to be a movie star as much as Justin Timberlake wants to be a movie star. In 2005, Timberlake had just silenced all the skeptics with Justified, an album that forever eradicated the idea that Timberlake was a boy band refugee. Making the leap from teen-dreamboat team player into serious solo artist is always difficult. Timberlake celebrated by taking a break from music to take minor roles in a whole assortment of good-on-paper projects: a police drama with Oscar-winning costars, a gritty indie based on true events, an auteurist epic from a cultishly adored young director, a sexy button-pushing drama from a dynamic young director, a voice role in a beloved animated franchise, and a supporting role in a new film from a beloved comedy mastermind.

Every one of those projects made sense — in theory — as a smart choice for a young music star desperate to prove himself as a legitimate actor. Unfortunately, those projects were Edison, Alpha Dog, Southland Tales, Black Snake Moan, Shrek the Third, and The Love Guru. (Frequently, the lone note of positivity in the bad reviews for those films was that Timberlake was actually pretty good.) Timberlake’s ascension continued: In 2006, he released FutureSex/LoveSounds and also performed “D— in a Box” on SNL. The latter was arguably more important for Timberlake, insofar as it cemented a certain notion of Timberlake as Mega-Talent in the pop culture firmament.

In response, Timberlake made a second attempt at movie stardom, this time with more success. In 2010, he had his best role, as a very Timberlake-esque Sean Parker in The Social Network. In 2011, he had three films: Bad Teacher, Friends with Benefits, and In Time. The first two were dark-ish comedies, and they were reasonably successful. In Time was Timberlake’s play at full-on action hero status, and although it made a decent amount of money, it was generally seen as a flop, possibly because Timberlake wasn’t very good and more likely because the movie was hilariously terrible.

Given the success of Friends with Benefits, Timberlake could probably sail through four or five romantic comedies if he wanted to. But the mere existence of Runner Runner implies that Timberlake wants to be the star that In Time failed to transform him into: An action hero. And Hollywood does badly want a new young action star. But after years of trying (Ryan Reynolds) and trying (Taylor Kitsch), Hollywood has implemented the Reboot Protocol, meaning that “new young action stars” are mostly unknowns taking on familiar roles in superhero movies or franchise remakes. This is good news if your name is Jeremy Renner and bad news if you’re Justin Timberlake, who is paradoxically probably too famous (and therefore too expensive) for a superhero film.

by Anonymousreply 11110/07/2013

Ben Affleck: Affleck and Timberlake come from different backgrounds, but their careers arc in similar directions: Both were famously successful young people who had to prove they were more than just pretty faces. But unlike Timberlake — whose career arc post-2000 has basically been a long nonstop ascension — Affleck had to come back from a period of rampant overexposure and running-punchline movies like Payback, Gigli, and Surviving Christmas.

Affleck started 2013 with a tremendous victory. Argo‘s Best Picture win at the Oscars was widely seen as an apology prize for snubbing Affleck in the Best Director category, and more generally as an apology from the entire world for every doubting Affleck’s chops. It felt like Affleck had entered that rare echelon of respected actor-directors — the sphere of George Clooney and Robert Redford — so it surprised everyone when Affleck announced that he’d be taking on the role of Batman in the upcoming Man of Steel sequel.

Despite the online furor generated by that announcement, the Batman thing is like a net positive for Affleck, at least for now. It guarantees him two solid years of press: Affleck in-costume pics, Affleck-directing-Justice-League rumors. (Even if the movie is a travesty, it’s not like anybody will blame Affleck, who’s technically playing second fiddle to Henry Cavill. Also, Man of Steel was pretty bad and made hundreds of millions of dollars, so he’ll be just fine.) Like he needed another guaranteed hit, Affleck is also headlining Gone Girl, the David Fincher-helmed adaptation of your favorite book.

So does Runner Runner even matter for the future Batman? Everything about Affleck’s role in the film vibed like a lark: It was a scenery-chewing villain part, the kind of role that promises lots of time on yachts in Puerto Rico. But Affleck was a big part of the film’s promotion. It’s failure has to be seen, at least in part, as a sign that the Affleck renaissance hasn’t quite made him into a commercially viable leading man. Affleck the Director is more popular than Affleck the Actor.

Result: Neither Timberlake nor Affleck will starve as a result of Runner Runner‘s failure. But it’s much more of a failure for Timberlake — or anyhow, for Timberlake’s dreams of being a big-screen movie star. Barring a groundswell of support for his role in the Coen Brothers’ Inside Llewyn Davis, Runner Runner is probably the last time Timberlake will be offered a starring role in a non-comedy movie. This is sad news only if you are Justin Timberlake, a ridiculously successful human being by any measure. For Affleck, Runner Runner is a minor dark note in a bright phase of his career, notable mainly because it feels beamed in from an alternate universe where Affleck never staged a comeback and stars in movies like Runner Runner.

by Anonymousreply 11210/07/2013

Who told Timberlake he could act?

by Anonymousreply 11310/07/2013

[quote] And if Michael Jackson were alive, Justin Timberlake would be as important as David Cassidy.

Michael Jackson was like the Walking Dead for a decade before his death.

If anything, Usher was more of a threat in JT's solo years.

by Anonymousreply 11410/07/2013

r79 - JT isn't nearly as famous as Madonna and his looks are pretty generic, so he could easily blend into a character, if he could act. He's just too affected to completely drop his 'Ima famous person' swagger.

by Anonymousreply 11510/07/2013

"But the mere existence of Runner Runner implies that Timberlake wants to be the star that In Time failed to transform him into: An action hero."

JT, man if this is true, I am sorry to tell you this: no. No action hero for you.

by Anonymousreply 11610/07/2013

Don't hate me for saying this, I will add that I cannot stand him, and he is repulsive, but Chris Brown was incredibly talented, can sing, dance, write music, etc. and he even did a little acting and did it well. If he had not shown his ass and demonstrated his disgusting personality and psychological issues, he would be way more famous that JT.

I think JT got into acting because he has an established fan base and the studios or money people or whomever, believed he could bring in his fans. They all try it. Beyoncé, Rihanna, Britney, Taylor Swift, and let's not forget the actors who try their hand at singing. Sal fucking Mineo made a damned album.

by Anonymousreply 11710/07/2013

Justin needs to stick to singing, and not acting. This doesn't look good for Ben Afflecks, if he wants to play Batman.

by Anonymousreply 11810/07/2013

Interesting popwatch analysis, I'd say I agree. Why Affleck was in this trash is a good question - maybe he committed to it a long time ago. Got pissed at second billing and phoned it in like r12 said? But it was never seen as a test of anything for him.

As for Justin, you can't blame him for trying. He needs his next act and where else should he go, politics?

But gurl please. He needs to find some femmier roles where he doesn't have to think so hard every single second about, for example, what expression a straight guy should have on his face as he listens to another straight guy talk.

Confidential to Justin: you are not fooling people anymore, loosen up and enjoy the freedom.

by Anonymousreply 11910/08/2013

There is no doubt that Timberlake is sleeping with some executives in the industry to get these movie roles. There is no other explanation for it. He basically fucks for tracks and fucks for movie roles too.

by Anonymousreply 12010/08/2013

R121 or TPTB are sabotaging him, giving Timberlake opportunities they know he will fail at, so he can go away.

by Anonymousreply 12110/08/2013

R122, I disagree. I believe the TPTB are really trying hard to make his movie career happen but the public isn't sipping the kool aid. No one is buying Justin as a leading man except his delusional fans. He has to sleep with more movie execs to convince us that he can act.

by Anonymousreply 12210/08/2013

Where is the evidence of JT sleeping with movie execs?

by Anonymousreply 12310/08/2013

I love the naivete who think that TPTB are going to give someone the lead in a multi-million dollar movie simply because they've fucked them.

by Anonymousreply 12410/08/2013

The evidence lies in the fact that he actually has a movie career.

by Anonymousreply 12510/08/2013

R123 well no amount of executive help will convince me he can successful be a leading man.

Why the hell hasn't JT just figured it out for himself? He has to see his own movies, he must know his acting is below par. Is he really that delusional?

His choices are so strange, I just don't get what's up with him.

by Anonymousreply 12610/08/2013

R127, those Saturday Night Live appearances really went to his head and made him believe that he is talented enough for the big screen. Somebody needs to tell him Barry Gibb impressions don't necessarily make you a great actor.

by Anonymousreply 12710/08/2013

Justin believes his own press releases.

by Anonymousreply 12810/08/2013

If Justin Timberlake finally and utterly fails, it will be karma bitting him on the ass.

by Anonymousreply 12910/08/2013

Runner Runner made a profit, it won't be seen as a blow.

by Anonymousreply 13010/08/2013

I don't get it. Why does JT have the movie career that Lance Bass should have? Why isn't Lance up there on the big screen?

by Anonymousreply 13110/08/2013

R132, perhaps Lance isn't as ambitious as Justin.

by Anonymousreply 13210/08/2013

R132 often times it's the closeted gays who are bigger whores than the out gays. Lance seems too classy to give his ass up so easily. TimberFake is desperate to make his movie career happen and also keep his music career "hot".

by Anonymousreply 13310/08/2013

R132 = Lance

by Anonymousreply 13410/08/2013

Nobody wants Lance Bass sugar booty.

by Anonymousreply 13510/08/2013

I think Timberlake is a good actor but he's not very attractive, not a leading man. He needs to be a character actor. With that hair, how can he expect anything else?

by Anonymousreply 13610/08/2013

I think Affleck is very attractive but why he wants to be Batman...who knows? It's a thankless job and you have to wear a mask all the time. In the meantime, the bad guys have all the fun and publicity.

by Anonymousreply 13710/08/2013

I don't buy the "sleeping with exec's" thought either. I just think that he is popular and producers hope that that popularity tran$lates to the big screen. I remember Hollywood trying to make Jon Bon Jovi a star. He even got an underwear shot in Vanity Fair (someone post that picture, please)but he didn't take off and eventually they stopped offering roles. We can rest easy knowing that our Justin Timberlake movie star nightmare will soon be over.

by Anonymousreply 13810/08/2013

I thought JT's hair looked good in previews of the movie. I thought he might have had extensions, treatments, whatever to make the coif look better. Surely JT has the money to spent on his do.

But what's with that silly little hat he wears to cover his hair now off screen? Is he hiding a bald spot?

by Anonymousreply 13910/08/2013

His hurr takes a lot of doing. Sometimes he's not bothered doing it, hence the hat.

by Anonymousreply 14010/08/2013

What's 105 talking about? Whitney Houston was at the height of her career when The Bodyguard became a smash.

by Anonymousreply 14110/08/2013

I strenuously have to say that Justin Timberlake needs to stick to his music career. That's where he excels in, not dramatic acting. Though, he's great in SNL as a comedian.

by Anonymousreply 14310/08/2013

[quote]Runner Runner made a profit, it won't be seen as a blow.

Ur, no little N'Syc fan pixie.

The film has already, rightly been deemed a FLOP.

by Anonymousreply 14410/08/2013

[quote] so it's gotta be he's an whorish lay.

Ok, clueless.

by Anonymousreply 14610/08/2013

Timberlake just said last month on Kimmel or Leno, that he is a whore. Joke or not, I believe him.

by Anonymousreply 14710/08/2013

lol r136

by Anonymousreply 14810/08/2013

Actually Lance is more attractive now than JT. He may have recently had some botox or facial fillers, and he seems to be working out. But whatever. He doesn't have to wear a hat to cover a tangled head of unkempt weave.

Maybe the black dudes like Jay Z just like them some Timberland ass. Because without the push from the "bros", JT wouldn't have the music career he has, and without music sales JT wouldn't be able to convince Hollywood he can get people into the theaters.

by Anonymousreply 14910/08/2013

It's a symbiotic relationship-TimberFake gets fame and fortune, while the rappers, producers and directors get fortune and a bottom bitch on the side. Obviously they could find much more attractive asses to fuck, but TimberFake is famous so it's a sexual power thing too.

by Anonymousreply 15010/08/2013

I hope at some point Timberlake gains some self-respect.

by Anonymousreply 15110/08/2013

but his cd is #1... barely. 350,000 copies, high by todays standards, not by early 2000 standards [2.4M].

by Anonymousreply 15210/09/2013

of course his fans will buy the cd...but I'm sure the first week sales for part I were higher than this. A lot of people are tiring of this TimberFake overload we've seen in the last 12 months.

I bet the sales after this first week will see the album drop like a rock.

by Anonymousreply 15310/09/2013

There are so many more attractive and talented actors out there. I wonder who he's blowing?

by Anonymousreply 15410/09/2013

Seriously, are his oral skills that great and his ass that tight? I think it's his success in music (which may have depended on him giving the black bro's a taste) that make the Hollywood biggies think he has something that can transfer to the screen.

I also don't get why JT is always cited as a fashion god, best dressed man, whatever by Vanity Fair, GQ, People, etc. The little hats he wears are enough to rate a thumbs down.

by Anonymousreply 15510/10/2013

Love *NSYNC, but they all suck with fashion... this quote: "It's like they never learned how to dress themselves as they spent their formative years being styled in questionable clothing."

by Anonymousreply 15610/11/2013

R157 Jussy doesn't have to worry about that now, as his current "style" is copying whatever's hot for other guys to wear. The "suave" look is definitely NOT original and a lot of other guys have done it before and are doing it now.

by Anonymousreply 15710/11/2013

Did anyone actually see this shitty movie? I think I might wind up seeing it this weekend.

by Anonymousreply 15810/19/2013

I must be alone here. I still think he was potential Oscar nomination perfect in "Social Network." And, yeah, I vote for it.

Maybe it's the moves that are sucking, not him.

by Anonymousreply 15910/19/2013

I wonder what Janet Jackson has to say about all of this. Justin and Janet dated for a brief amount of time and I'm sure she gave him acting tips, considering how masterful she's been on film. Janet is such a naturally gifted actor. The influence must have been tremendous. Janet is such a powerful force on so many lives.

by Anonymousreply 16010/19/2013

[quote]I bet the sales after this first week will see the album drop like a rock.

Yes, 80%.

And the latest single barely got above #50 on the charts.

by Anonymousreply 16110/19/2013

Unless "Not a Bad Thing" or "Only When I Walk Away" are the next singles, he can stop now.

by Anonymousreply 16210/20/2013

R162 What on earth made him release 2 albums in the same year? Kind of stupid. No wonder the new album and the single flopped. He's one of those people who needs to wait several years between albums.

by Anonymousreply 16310/20/2013

R164 it's called arrogance. He wanted 2013 to be HIS year with everyone raving about how amazing he is. Remember last year at this time the media and his kiss-ass celeb friends were hyping his return to the heavens. Thank goodness the public is over him.

by Anonymousreply 16410/20/2013

What planet do you fools live on? Second week album sales are always a huge dropoff, the era of the album is over. The guy had two number one albums this year. I'm sure he feels pretty good about himself.

by Anonymousreply 16510/20/2013

[quote]I must be alone here. I still think he was potential Oscar nomination perfect in "Social Network." And, yeah, I vote for

The buzz was more hype than real. E! and US were really pushing for his nomination but the serious outlets weren't impressed.

With the seven-year gap, there was an anticipation effect with the album earlier this year which helped it sell even though it wasn't as good as some were claiming. By the time he released this second album, people had become immune to the hype.

by Anonymousreply 16610/21/2013

And yet both albums went right to number 1, somehow that fact got left out of your analysis.

I've had both 20/20s on heavy rotation since they came out and they are both great. Both show more creativity, inspiration and growth than FS/LS. (I like that one too but it's not as musically exciting.)

If the rest of you took a break from hating Justin for being successful or hot or e.fem.in.ate or whatever your stupid reasons are, you might start to figure out what the millions of people who bought the two albums already know.

I guess that only goes for those of y'all who aren't PR-bots working for competitor artists though.

by Anonymousreply 16710/21/2013

Trash

by Anonymousreply 16810/21/2013

I like some of Justin's solo output but he needs to reunite with *NSYNC stat!

by Anonymousreply 16910/21/2013

This still happens in Europe?

by Anonymousreply 17010/21/2013

Sup Lance @ r170

by Anonymousreply 17110/21/2013

[quote]I've had both 20/20s on heavy rotation since they came out

This is something to be proud of?

by Anonymousreply 17210/21/2013

R168 has no taste if she thinks Jussy is hot, talented, or makes good music. You sound like his PR person.

by Anonymousreply 17310/21/2013

IKR I do sound like a PR troll. But I'm not, just a hardcore stan who is annoyed by how people / janbots shit on him here and can't let it lie. He is a damsel in distress to me I guess, lol.

If you don't even think he's hot, why are you calling him Jussy? If I went around calling a guy like that, you can bet I'd want to fuck the shit out of him.

by Anonymousreply 17410/21/2013

R175 he deserves to be shitted on. He's a piece of shit, with mediocre talent and looks + a cuntish personality.

by Anonymousreply 17510/21/2013

[quote] He's a piece of shit, with mediocre talent and looks + a cuntish personality.

Wait, Just Justin is a DLer?

by Anonymousreply 17610/21/2013

Justin is on DL during all his down time.

by Anonymousreply 17710/22/2013

I hope no one missed R161's hilarious comment about Janet Jackson.

by Anonymousreply 17810/22/2013

We love you Dustin!

by Anonymousreply 17910/22/2013

Piss off Justin! Glad you bolted yourself in that closet.

by Anonymousreply 18010/22/2013

You mean the closet with his wife?

by Anonymousreply 18110/22/2013

R182

She would not do that to herself.

by Anonymousreply 18210/22/2013

She should come out too. It would be the best thing that ever happened to her career.

by Anonymousreply 18310/22/2013

R184

sadly, it would be

by Anonymousreply 18410/22/2013

If she was out it would give people a reason to actually remember who she is. She's a complete non-entity, even after making an honest woman out of Mrs. Justin Biel.

by Anonymousreply 18510/22/2013

R186 I hope Biel gets something good out of this arrangement. She is insane if she's doing this for free.

by Anonymousreply 18610/23/2013

Is "Runner Runner" even in theaters anymore? How many weeks has it been out-like 4? pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 18710/23/2013

It's been 19 days since the release, R188. It's only made $17 million dollars here and will not make it to $20 million as it will lose theaters. Internationally it's also a flop. It's only made $37 million.

by Anonymousreply 18810/23/2013

R189 lmao. and yet this flop will continue to get more roles...his agent must pimp his mangina out hardcore! Did both Coen brothers have to spitroast him? Is that how he got a part in their next movie?

by Anonymousreply 18910/23/2013

Spike Lee to direct Miss Timberfake's next movie. Hollywood simply will not accept the fact that moviegoers reject him as a leading man.

by Anonymousreply 19010/31/2013

R191 clearly this time Jussy is sucking off and swallowing Spike Lee. He gives his mouth and ass up to hip hop rappers, hip hop producers, and directors. His next film that will be out soon was directed by the Coens, so obviously Jussy was spit roasted and double penetrated to get that role.

by Anonymousreply 19110/31/2013

And he loved every second of it

by Anonymousreply 19210/31/2013

Jussy will keep getting roles until he's 40, at which point ageism will be his undoing. Sadly, I predict we have another 8 years of seeing him ruining movies.

by Anonymousreply 19310/31/2013

Why? Oh Why won't his people tell Jussy, he looks like a fool and can't act?

TKO video, his best acting yet.

by Anonymousreply 19411/01/2013

He's surely been told it many times, he does not care what people say apparently.

Although he was not bad in Runner Runner. The movie sucked ass but not because of him.

by Anonymousreply 19511/01/2013

R196 please. The thought of Jussy playing a straight hero is laughable.

by Anonymousreply 19611/01/2013

I don't think it's a question of appearing straight. It's that he screams "juvenile lead." The voice that has benefitted him in music, limits him as an actor.

by Anonymousreply 19711/01/2013

I don't remember him doing anything too heroic in it. Mostly sniveling. It was kind of hot.

by Anonymousreply 19811/01/2013

Stop saying "Jussy"--it wounds.

by Anonymousreply 19911/01/2013

Yes, refer to him as JustJustin.

by Anonymousreply 20011/01/2013

Why?

by Anonymousreply 20111/01/2013

R200 shut the hell up, TimberFake stan. He is known as Jussy, prissy queen that he is.

by Anonymousreply 20211/02/2013

take your meds, janet troll @ r203

by Anonymousreply 20311/02/2013

“So I find it ironic that I'm doing an interview with you about Man of the Year when I feel—literally—like a bunch of people just took a shit on my face.”

Justin Timberlake has had better Mondays. We're sitting in the FedExForum in Memphis, his hometown, five rows back from where his NBA team, the Memphis Grizzlies (he's a minority owner), plays ball. There are 18,119 seats in this arena, and 18,117 of them are empty. Today, this is how he wants it. After sailing through the first nine months of the year like some kind of celebrity superhero—a one-man juggernaut of singing and dancing and hosting and viral-video-ing—Timberlake has taken some punches in the past few days.

“Double whammy,” he says, referring to critics' excoriation of both Runner Runner, a thriller he made with Ben Affleck that has just had a disastrous opening weekend ($8 million, and that's rounding up), and The 20/20 Experience: 2 of 2, his second number one album of the year. Specifically, Variety has just run an op-ed titled “Why Justin Timberlake Should Stop Acting.” (Oof.) And Billboard has, in Timberlake's words, “said, ‘Tell him to leave his second half at home.’ Where did all this vitriol come from? It's mean. And I'm not cut out for it.”

Slouched down in jeans and a T-shirt, the guy sitting next to me looks nothing like the suave showman from the “Suit & Tie” video. He's fidgety. He keeps tugging at the stubble on his chin.

“This face,” he says, circling it with one finger. “This recognizable face that you work so hard to get—not because you want the recognition but because you know you're made to do it.” This face, he's saying, comes at a cost. “The movie didn't do well at the box office, so I should quit? Hold on a second. If I was somebody else, you wouldn't have said that. I have the number one album this week, and I shouldn't have released it? Come on, man. You sound like a dickhead.... It just shocked me because, like, you're trade magazines. None of your opinions count. And by the way, none of you can do it.”

When we first sat down, Timberlake seemed vulnerable. Confused, even. Now he's just pissed. He starts talking about Memphis, the place that he says defines him: “It's a struggling city with a defeatist attitude. I'm from this town, and I grew up with a little bit of a chip on my shoulder, so sometimes I find it funny that I've been able to acquire the patience it takes to be kind to people in our business. Because sometimes I just want to fucking kill everybody.”

But just as the 32-year-old Justin Timberlake seems bent on morphing into the 1999 version of Marshall Mathers, he takes a deep breath, and I swear it's like the stale air around us just got a few degrees cooler. His anger was a splinter under the skin. Now that it's out, he already feels better.

“I don't see myself as someone who's ever going to be defined by one moment,” he says. “It's on to the next.” He's sitting up taller, and his blue eyes have a glint that wasn't there before. Timberlake's skills on the golf course and basketball court are well-known, and now he seems to be summoning the elite athlete's ability to shake off a run of bad play as if it never happened.

Which is right around the time that all the spotlights in the arena click on and start to swirl, moving in curlicues as if searching for their starting point guard. “Is this normal?” Timberlake calls out to a couple of workmen nearby. “Naw,” one of them calls back. “They just know you're here.”

by Anonymousreply 20411/12/2013

Why is the other thread getting deleted?

by Anonymousreply 20511/12/2013

That's what I want to know. I posted the GQ link at R205 from the deleted thread.

Maybe there's too many Timberlake threads being posted lately at DL.

by Anonymousreply 20611/12/2013

Guess what? this lucky, talentless leech is back. Yup, no matter how much he sucks, hollyweird just won't give up on him.

He will play the role of Bogart, the head of Casablanca Records in the upcoming Donna Summer movie.

This comes just a month after calling Vadge his "ninja" (a slang for the n-word) on twiter.

Timberlake spunging off black culture again for his gain and "cred".

by Anonymousreply 20709/30/2014

Spike Lee is directing that Donna Summer biopic. This will be 1 of those films that if it does well, will have nothing to do with TimberFake. He'll get credit of course, like in the Facebook movie.

by Anonymousreply 20809/30/2014

Suck it up OP and all the complainers. No matter what, Justin has more money & success than all of you put together.

by Anonymousreply 20909/30/2014

Is this a current story, heard it a while ago too. Still not ready to quit acting? Oh well, homegirl has never failed at anything before, maybe the acting thing will finally click.

Jussy is still prancing around on his grand world tour, tonight he is probably playing the Serbian Death To Gays Festival or something.

by Anonymousreply 21009/30/2014

by Anonymousreply 21109/30/2014

ugh he doesn't even look like Neil Bogart, who was kinda handsome.

by Anonymousreply 21210/01/2014

With all the dick he sucked to get his career going, despite his talent, even I'm surprised that his movie career didn't go anywhere.

Honestly, there are worse actors who have more lively resumes than him.

by Anonymousreply 21310/01/2014

His line delivery usually made me cringe & I say that as a fan.

by Anonymousreply 21410/01/2014

R213 what talent? He's a poor actor. His acting is worse than his weak singing.

by Anonymousreply 21510/04/2014
Need more help? Click Here.