Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Suggestions Please

What's the best way to get a teen relative to stop saying "like" and "ya know" in every other sentence?

by Anonymousreply 1310/05/2013

I want to shoot young women who do this like you know.

by Anonymousreply 110/05/2013

A six month immersion course at the Caroline Kennedy School of Elocution should work wonders.

by Anonymousreply 210/05/2013

Like "voice fry," this is a lost cause.

by Anonymousreply 310/05/2013

R3, it's vocal fry, and it's real!

by Anonymousreply 410/05/2013

Every time I said "you know," my father would say "No, I don't." Got so annoyed with him, I stopped.

by Anonymousreply 510/05/2013

OP: Suggest a friendly game of Russian Roulette.

by Anonymousreply 610/05/2013

This is your business because...?

by Anonymousreply 710/05/2013

r7 because she's a good kid and I don't want her chances at college or job interviews to be hurt by this speech pattern.

by Anonymousreply 810/05/2013

[quote]because she's a good kid and I don't want her chances at college or job interviews to be hurt by this speech pattern.

I don't mean to pry, but has she finished the video for the "Setting a Perfect Table" component of the application to Miss Pittypat's College of Precise Elocution and Easy Charm?

by Anonymousreply 910/05/2013

Thanks for the correction, r4. The creak of vocal fry functions like "you know" and "like"---they're forms of vocal punctuation. Hope no one here runs across anyone who punctuates with gasps like Brenda Vacarro did in that old Playtex commercial.

by Anonymousreply 1010/05/2013

r9, she's not seen the video, but has read "Tiffany's Table Manners for Teenagers" with illustrations from cover-to-cover.

by Anonymousreply 1110/05/2013

I will bet the OP that any school or job interviews she goes to will be with people who use "like" and "you know" themselves. It' quite pervasive.

by Anonymousreply 1210/05/2013

If she apologizes for her speech to an interviewer, she'll probably get "no problem," the current response to everything now.

by Anonymousreply 1310/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!