Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why Has California Had No Signups For Obamacare?

Is the coverage already available that great? Is anyone unable to afford it on Medicare?

by Anonymousreply 8310/09/2013

how do you know they have none?

by Anonymousreply 110/05/2013

OP doesn't know. And I should know.

by Anonymousreply 210/05/2013

well, i know a family of 4 who signed up to obtain their first coverage in 9 years, so there are at least 4.

by Anonymousreply 310/05/2013

Obamacare is the greatest thing to ever happen to our nation. I can't believe I am seeing something so wonderful and helpful in my lifetime. It brings tears to my eyes. I am still pinching myself.

by Anonymousreply 410/05/2013

OP hasn't been reading.

by Anonymousreply 710/05/2013

Forbes has a vested interest in obamacare "failing" as forbes = the 1%.

by Anonymousreply 810/05/2013

Neither has r7.

by Anonymousreply 910/05/2013

[quote]Forbes has a vested interest in obamacare "failing" as forbes = the 1%.

So you believe that this couldn't possibly be true?

by Anonymousreply 1010/05/2013

yes. this is another of the many threads started by a troll.

by Anonymousreply 1110/05/2013

Forbes is quoting numbers from American Action Forum, a far right SuperPAC devoted to Republican candidates and causes. A Koch disinformation operation. Nice try, preposterous OP.

PS, I signed up within hours of the exchange opening.

by Anonymousreply 1210/05/2013

Koch troll threads all sound the same, and there are so many of them...

by Anonymousreply 1310/05/2013

as i said.

by Anonymousreply 1410/05/2013

It's California...

God's waiting room...

by Anonymousreply 1610/05/2013

the truth is the exact opposite of what r15 says. it is clear. these kinds of threads are spread across the internet and their only purpose it to try to cast doubt among the populace.

not working.

and so transparent.

by Anonymousreply 1710/05/2013

OP, did you mean Medicaid? (Which is called Medi-Cal in California. )

R16 You're confusing California with Florida.

by Anonymousreply 1910/05/2013

I'll be buying coverage but there's no rush.

by Anonymousreply 2010/06/2013

OP conveniently doesn't list the article's author - Avik Roy, a rabid right-winger and Romney advisor who has a vested interest in seeing Obamacare fail. Roy is a horrible person, who also believes that money people pay into the system becomes "entitlements" when it's time for the to get it back.

OP is one sick fuck.

by Anonymousreply 2110/06/2013

Sorry, r6, not OP, is an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 2210/06/2013

Nope. Op is not only an idiot but a really lame troll.

r21 spoke the truth.

by Anonymousreply 2310/06/2013

Avik Roy's Tweets are telling.

by Anonymousreply 2510/06/2013

He's, among other things, a Contributor to Forbes & National Review. Former Romney health care advisor.

Grains of salt must be taken for someone so invested in the PPACA's failure...

by Anonymousreply 2610/06/2013

I don't know to what extent the information is correct. I noticed though that the whole exchange business was not planned very well. Can only speak for California. Hardly anybody you ask knows how it works in detail. The navigators are useless because they don't get the material and info they need. Subsequently the information to the public has been spotty and late. Commercials by state and providers for the exchange should have aired many months before October, not just a few weeks before start. But again, no-one could start early because nobody had enough info. No wonder people are hesitant signing up.

by Anonymousreply 2710/06/2013

Oh, Freeper troll R27. Scream and yell when the government tried to get information out leading up to the launch, then scream and yell when they didn't get enough information out. Scream and yell (and in some states, make volunteer navigators go through either extensive training, or require some weird one-of-a-kind certification) when the government sets up navigators to help people understand the process, then scream and yell when the navigators can't deal with the volume of people applying, or because one of them gives some incorrect information, or makes a mistake.

I am so sick of the way the rightwingnuts control everything in this country. Purposefully obfuscate. Lie. Deceive. Mislead.

And then bitch about lies and deceit, and sew mistrust because their lies and deceit gains traction.

by Anonymousreply 2810/06/2013

R28, thanks for providing your insight. The tone of your post makes me realize that clearly I must be wrong.

Seriously though, I work for a health care provider and hear from our sales and marketing department how much of a hard time they have to market our products because so much has been in the flux until just recently. We are still trying figuring things out so I'm not ready to call the exchanges a success yet. We'll see.

by Anonymousreply 2910/06/2013

I haven't signed up because I get insurance via my employer that is far cheaper than anything I can get via the CA exchange.

by Anonymousreply 3110/06/2013

What do people like R30 hope to accomplish with their uninformative statements?

by Anonymousreply 3210/06/2013

Yeah, R33, just like it did in Massachusetts.

Oh, wait.... Moron.

by Anonymousreply 3410/06/2013

so many trolls, so much koch money

by Anonymousreply 3510/06/2013 is finally starting to work. The glitches are slowly getting fixed. Many posters on Daily Kos said they were able to finish the application process today and view the plans and pricing. The website has been getting more traffic than

They recommend using Internet Explorer to access the website--apparently, it works better than Firefox and Google Chrome. Also, if you registered earlier in the week but haven't been able to log in, you should create a new account with a new username and email address.

From USA Today:

"The government website launched this week to sell health insurance was overwhelmed by up to five times as many users as it was designed to handle, President Obama's top technology adviser said Saturday in an exclusive interview with USA TODAY.

U.S. Chief Technology Officer Todd Park said the government expected to draw 50,000 to 60,000 simultaneous users, but instead it has drawn as many as 250,000 at a time since it launched Oct. 1."

by Anonymousreply 3610/06/2013

R31 I think most employed people are in that situation.

by Anonymousreply 3710/06/2013

Be careful about people who claim that those who sign up for ACA's state programs are not signed up for "Obamacare." This article about its success in Kentucky is very interesting. As far as numbers, this article was written on day 2 of the roll out states that 3,000 individuals or families had already completed their enrollment.

"As a result, Kentucky’s exchange, dubbed Kynect, logged solid results in the first day and a half of operation. As of 4:00 p.m. Wednesday, 10,766 applications for health coverage had been initiated, 6,909 had been completed and 2,989 individuals or families had enrolled in new coverage."

Also of note are the morons who have no idea that they are enrolled in Obamacare and continue to dis it.

by Anonymousreply 3810/06/2013

R39, did you try Amazon's website on their day 1? Probably not but that didn't stop millions from signing up later.

by Anonymousreply 4010/06/2013

Screamer Freeper every other comment has really gotten old. The bots are becoming Tea Party-lite. Knock it the fuck off already! Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 4210/06/2013

The OP is a anti-Semitic Birther troll who thinks FOXNews is the Bible. He pretends to be a progressive, but the mask keeps slipping on the other threads.

And no, OP, your family doesn't want to hear you say "Happy birthday." You should just stick to your "Washington Redskins" race-baiting troll.

by Anonymousreply 4310/06/2013

[quote]did you try Amazon's website on their day 1? Probably not but that didn't stop millions from signing up later.

On day 1, Amazon was just a book seller with a site that probably got a few hundred hits at most. I can't think of a comparable private scenario for what the various government agencies are doing right now. Nobody expected this to go smoothly on day one. Or on week one. Or even on month one. They've got six months to work out the wrinkles, just as they did for Medicare, Social Security, Medicaid, Medicare Part D, and so on, none of which rolled out smoothly and all of which are successful today.

by Anonymousreply 4410/06/2013

Notice how the Freeper posters work as a tag-team. Just like a script in professional wrestling. Are they working from a boiler-room?

by Anonymousreply 4710/06/2013

Dear God, R41, that's a scary thought.

by Anonymousreply 4910/06/2013

r48 is a right-winger. They always like to use all-caps. Funny how they don't mind God as Big Brother. Anyway, I though he couldn't get on the website. Another of his lies.

by Anonymousreply 5010/06/2013

R45 - you seem to know a lot.

Let's hear about your experience with eCommerce sites.

Let's just pick a site that expected to launch with an initial surge of traffic that would never be replicated again. Then that best estimate was exceeded five fold.

I have some familiarity with eCommerce sites. I can't think of one that fits the requirements the ACA has.

But I'm sure you can.

Please share.

by Anonymousreply 5110/06/2013

[quote] Any small e-commerce team could have set this up.

No, they couldn't, not at this scale. Amazon certainly could, as could Google or a few others. A "small e-commerce" team would be overwhelmed by the scale.

by Anonymousreply 5210/06/2013

So freepers, what do you expect to have happen as a result of what you post on this thread and countless others that slam Democrats, the ACA and other related subjects?

Do you expect that all of DL will suddenly believe you? Do you expect that all of us will change how we think, how we vote or how we live?

They won't respond.

by Anonymousreply 5410/06/2013

Yes, R47.

A John Birch Society-ish coup d'état is what the Kochs and their friends have been itching for since the 1960's when their father helped found JBS. So here's their big chance.

If you want to see what well-heeled right wing boiler rooms can do propaganda wise, go to's Facebook page where virtually EVERY post is abusive, nasty, full of disinformation and trollish. Too much is never enough when you're rich and loony as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 5510/06/2013 started working today, and the head tech guy said that it should be working much better this coming week. They transferred the application process to its own dedicated server.

The website has been getting more daily traffic than, which is pretty amazing.

The Kentucky health exchange, which was set up by a Democratic governor, has been a big success. Take that, Rand Paul and Bitch McConnell!

by Anonymousreply 5610/06/2013

[quote]Sites with traffic surges: any global car launch....

No site at launch anywhere ever had to tie into as many separate systems and databases.

[quote]And if you misread your traffic by a magnitude of 5, you didn't do the right research in developing it.

Perhaps, but there is no precedent for this event. Any research they could do would ultimately be guesswork.

My company routinely goes through these sorts of scaling exercises for Q4 and the holidays but even then we still occasionally get it wrong. Fortunately, we always have extra capacity on hand that we can throw at it. And last year, we had to on one of our subsystems. The government, though, is budget-constrained in ways that we are not.

by Anonymousreply 5910/06/2013

R51 - you still haven't offered an actual example similar to the ACA.

Let's take a short detour - your reasoning is reductive. There is no basis to assume the research wasn't done properly if your traffic is five fold what you expected.

There are what at least 46 million uninsured people in the US. On top of that how many insured are just curious about what's available on the exchanges? No idea.

On top of which - huge amounts of free publicity due to the shenanigans of the House Republicans.

You honestly have experience or know of cases with that potential volume in the first five days of operation - that will never come close to being replicated again? Once this initial period is over the customer base will never be this large again.

There just isn't a similar situation.

I think this was a no win for the Obama Administration. If the money had been spent to flawlessly handle this volume of business in the first five days - six months from now we would see congressional hearings on how wasteful that was.

The big question being why spend all that money on the initial surge - when coverage wouldn't start until 1/1/14 at the earliest?

by Anonymousreply 6110/06/2013

R60, everything you're talking about also has to be done for the ACA. In short, you're not supporting the point you're trying to make. This is still an unprecedented event.

As for "Obama's team," that's a campaign organization that handled things on a much smaller scale and did it very well. But Obama doesn't personally hire every single individual at every level of government.

Every rollout of every major program has been flawed, including the rollout of the Medicare, Part D, program under Bush. And yet every single one of them survived the flaws and is succeeding today.

In a few weeks, these glitches will be gone. What will you find to bitch about then?

by Anonymousreply 6210/06/2013

Oh, and R51, open enrollment doesn't end until the end of March, which means that they do, in fact, have six months to fix this.

by Anonymousreply 6310/06/2013

[quote]Obamacare is a piece of shit.

And, of course, none of what you write, R51, supports that bit of drivel.

by Anonymousreply 6410/06/2013

Bullshit! My two nephews in San Jose have already signed up.

by Anonymousreply 6510/06/2013

The real piece here is a right-wing Roman Catholic who is against abortion rights and Medicare, David H. Koch.

Why is he allowed to impose his extremist religious views on everyone in America by funding freeping on every popular forum in the country?

by Anonymousreply 6610/06/2013

I'll be signing up soon. I've been deliberating between two plans, both very good (and affordable!). I just need to do my due diligence and decide which network would be a better fit for me. The Covered California site has had some problems (like the government run site), but once you establish an account and start the process, it's fairly easy to navigate.

by Anonymousreply 6710/07/2013

r67 is going to be subsidized so he's happy

by Anonymousreply 6810/07/2013

i am amazed that the same incredibly wealthy people who scream over 3.8% in additional taxes on their unearned income, have no problem paying people to post disinformation campaigns on the internet.

by Anonymousreply 6910/07/2013

R67, Consider that if you have insurance thru an employer, the employer is subsidizing at least a piece of the premium (though less and less as time goes by).

Again: what you and your employer pay as premiums is higher than it should be, because the cost of the uninsured and underinsured is rolled up into healthcare providers' total costs and is part of the rate-setting process. To reduce premiums for everyone you have to expand the risk pool. That is what insurance is about.

by Anonymousreply 7010/07/2013

R70, I'm not sure if your post was intended for me, but I don't currently qualify for employer covered insurance where I work because I don't meet certain hourly criteria they have in place to sign up for one of their group plans. I'm currently paying out of pocket for very poor coverage, but it's all I've been able to afford. To r68, yes, I am very happy about the ACA.

by Anonymousreply 7110/07/2013

And being subsidized r71 you forgot to add that in.

by Anonymousreply 7210/07/2013

As r70 pointed out, most people who have health insurance get it through their employer and are thus being subsidized in some way. I don't see the shame in receiving a subsidy.

by Anonymousreply 7310/07/2013

I'm sorry. My post was meant for R68, not R67.

My point is that everyone, even the freepers, are being subsidized when it comes to healthcare.

It used to be that the government subsidized everyone thru Medicare. Medicare reimbursements kept hospitals in business, and so the rates they could offer to private insurers were low, and premiums were low. It was when Reagan reduced Medicare payments to healthcare providers that there was a transfer of costs to private insurers. That's when private insurance premiums went up, and more businesses dropped employee coverage. As the number of uninsured grew, so did the premiums that had to be charged to those still paying, It's been a vicious cycle from that point on, as reduced reimbursements have forced higher premiums.

The only way to get premiums down is to reduce the number of uninsured.

by Anonymousreply 7410/07/2013

OP clearly has reading comprehension issues:

[bold] California health insurance exchange reports nearly 1 million visitors in first week; 16,311 households sign up [/bold]

by Anonymousreply 7510/09/2013

[quote]Obamacare needs to change it's name to DMVcare. Because that's exactly what it will become.

Shirley who works behind the counter at the DMV will not be doing your healthcare. That will still belong in the realm of the doctors and medical staff, who are NOT employed by the government. Do you really think people (besides R49) are so dense?

The insurance companies won't even be run by the government. All it will do is pay a subsidy to some and direct others to a marketplace where they can pick and choose. It RUNS nothing.

by Anonymousreply 7610/09/2013

I can't believe I live in a country with so many idiots who believe healthcare should be treated like a luxury rather than a necessity.

Do some not understand that we all benefit from a healthy population?

by Anonymousreply 7710/09/2013

Seriously people believe it is the government running healthcare. The only monies are for the tax incentives for people who cannot normally afford health care. It is a sliding scale the less you make the more incentive you receive.

A family of 4 with an income of 90K would play 718 a month that same family making 50K would pay 218 a month for silver level coverage.

The ACA is a whole host of protections for all of us including 100% coverage of preventative care, no life time caps etc. Also health care companies must spend 80% of the money they take in on health care or refund to you. Also they must publicly justify a rate increase of 10% or more. They are laws that affect the health care companies and protect us.

by Anonymousreply 7810/09/2013

It's not perfect but it's a HUGE leap forward. The op of this thread is a troll, as has been stated many times before.

by Anonymousreply 7910/09/2013

Wisdom from R78

by Anonymousreply 8010/09/2013

[quote]They are laws that affect the health care companies and protect us.

I don't need no stinkin' help from the govt!

by Anonymousreply 8110/09/2013

wrong, r82.

by Anonymousreply 8310/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!