Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I need a good long airplane read!

Recommend something to me, please. I like fiction, books about Hollywood, biographies of writers,... I want something not to esoteric but intelligent and fun.

by Anonymousreply 1710/05/2013

C.E. Crimmins and Tom O'Leary, "The Gay Man's Guide to Heterosexuality"

by Anonymousreply 110/05/2013

Green Eggs and Ham

by Anonymousreply 210/05/2013

It's an old one, but if you like biographies of writers try A. Scott Berg's Max Perkins: Editor of Genius

Perkins edited books for Hemingway, Fitzgerald and Wolfe. It's a great read and good background on those authors you had to read in high school and college.

by Anonymousreply 310/05/2013

"Blue Heaven" by Joe Keenan, and it's two sequels, "Putting On The Ritz" and "My Lucky Star".

by Anonymousreply 410/05/2013

Mark Twain's autobiography.

You'll need a couple of long plane rides to finish it, though.

by Anonymousreply 510/05/2013

"You'll Never Eat Lunch in This Town Again" by the late Julia Phillips is surprisingly well written. It's almost everything you describe, too.

by Anonymousreply 610/05/2013

Island in the Sea of Time

Alternative fiction of world history....Nantucket Island is thrown back in time to the end of the Bronze Age.

Surprisingly riveting.

by Anonymousreply 710/05/2013

R3, did you know they are making that into a movie with Colin Firth and Michael Fassbender?

by Anonymousreply 810/05/2013

Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan!

by Anonymousreply 910/05/2013

If you ever were a comic book fan, this book is an excellent history of Marvel Comics.

by Anonymousreply 1010/05/2013

All About All About Eve is a swell read...

by Anonymousreply 1110/05/2013

by Anonymousreply 1210/05/2013

The Marvel Comics history is a great suggestion. Thank you, r10.

by Anonymousreply 1310/05/2013

If you're interested in the history of comic books, read Chabon's The Amazing Adventures of Kavelier and Clay. I have NO interest in comic books, but I loved the book. It's one of my favourites, ever. It's one of the few books I wished were longer, because I didn't want to leave the world Chabon created. As a bonus, it also touches on the origins of Hollywood. It's really an incredible book.

by Anonymousreply 1410/05/2013

Do you like short stories? I've enjoyed Tom Perrotta's "Nine Inches" (not what you're thinking) and "What We Talk about When We Talk about Anne Frank" by Nathan Englander.

When I'm stuck traveling, I like things that don't require the constant concentration I like to give a novel.

I read MAUS on a train trip once. It's written in comic format, by Art Spiegelman, and it's about his father's experiences during the Holocaust. Not light reading, but because of the comic book style, I found it easy to put down and pick up.

by Anonymousreply 1610/05/2013

[quote]I want something not to esoteric

Strunk and White

by Anonymousreply 1710/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!