Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I Think My Dog Has Alzheimer's!

She's a cocker spaniel and she's about 13. I adopted her when she was nine.

She wandered three blocks over this morning. She greeted the small children next door (she used to avoid small children). When we exited the car she went back for another ride.

What do you do with senior citizen dogs, Data Lounge?

by Anonymousreply 1810/05/2013

Leave her in front of PBS.

by Anonymousreply 110/04/2013

Keep a close eye on her; take her into the vet right away.

by Anonymousreply 210/04/2013

That's pretty old for a cocker spaniel. they usually aren't fond of children and they have a lot of ear problems.

by Anonymousreply 310/04/2013

You baby her, make sure you don't change her surroundings and thank fuck for every single day you have with her.

by Anonymousreply 410/04/2013

I agree with [R4] and keep the dog on a leash or in your yard.

by Anonymousreply 510/04/2013

BTW, hearing usually stays more sharp with older dogs. My dear old girl lost her sight, but if you clapped, talked or made other noise she could navigate the house perfectly. We did move our master bedroom downstairs for her so she wouldn't have to do stairs. The only thing on this planet that makes me think there could be a higher being is dogs. Please take care of your girl.

by Anonymousreply 610/04/2013

My dog was diagnosed with "cognitive dysfunction" I.e.doggy Alzheimer's when he was about 15. Not in pain or suffering, but frequently got disoriented. Vet gave us meds and they made a big difference. Talk to your vet.

by Anonymousreply 710/04/2013

Sight is our first sense, but it's a dog's third. Their primary sense is smell, then hearing. That's why they can still get along okay when their eyesight fails.

by Anonymousreply 910/04/2013

My Chihuahua is 19, but he looks 5. Young dogs of 2 & 3 still cruise him! They can't believe he's a day over 6.

by Anonymousreply 1110/04/2013

It's not Alzheimer's in dogs, it's "dementia."

by Anonymousreply 1210/04/2013

R10, I hope you are Chinese. I've wasted many of you cunts.

by Anonymousreply 1310/04/2013

R8/R10, I hope you find your way to that grease fire others are always posting about.

by Anonymousreply 1410/04/2013

I agree with R[4]. You've committed yourself to your friend, it's time to live up to that commitment. Take care of her, make her life easy, do what she wants, and don't fret her old age disabilities. Treasure every moment you have w/her.

I had a 15 yr old dog. He got really sick. I brushed his fur every night, I sat w/him despite the biting mosquitos, I wiped him clean, and I held the bowls of water and food to his face cuz he could not longer stand. When it was time, I sat w/him for hours till it was his time. I am so glad I did that.

by Anonymousreply 1510/04/2013

We just started calling our collie Aunt Clara. Just starting being extra nice to her. She slipped away pretty fast though when she started going down hill.

by Anonymousreply 1610/04/2013

Little stroke.

by Anonymousreply 1710/05/2013

I wish you could see this. She's usually an asshole towards cats.

A ferrel mother cat has taken over the deck. My dog hates the mother, but adores the kittens (we've adopted out 3 of 5). Instead of chasing anyone, she lowers her head and ignores the swats as she goes up and down the stairs.

At first the kittens would explode and do the side-ways dance when she appeared.

Now, she lays down and lets the kittens jump over her.

by Anonymousreply 1810/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!