Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Fox News sued for broadcasting Arizona man’s suicide

A woman who watched her brother commit suicide on the air filed suit Thursday in Maricopa County Court against News Corp, Fox News LLP and several affiliate stations, saying that she was “severely traumatized” by the event. According to Courthouse News Service, Nature Romero was shocked and horrified to see her brother JoDon Romero shoot himself in the head in real time on Sep. 28, 2012 at the end of a car chase with police.

The video was broadcast on Fox News Channel’s afternoon program, “Studio B with Shepard Smith.”

“The 80-mile chase ended in the desert near Salome, Arizona,” the complaint said. “The driver of the pursued vehicle jumped out of the car and began running through the desert. These events were televised live on ‘Studio B’ via a feed from the helicopter of the Fox local affiliate in Phoenix.”

Normally the program runs a time-delay feature to keep from airing offensive material, but on the day in question, it appears that the delay was not operating.

“Viewers of ‘Studio B’ saw the events unfold at the exact time they happened without the several second delay,” the report explained. Anchor Shepard Smith, realizing what was about to happen, shouted at producers to shut down the feed.

“Shepard Smith, acknowledging that what was about to occur ‘didn’t belong on television’ began urging his control room to ‘get off’ — repeating the phrase more than 10 times in rapid succession before yelling ‘Get off it!’” the suit alleges.

“The television viewing public watching ‘Studio B,’ including plaintiff, saw a live full screen broadcast of the driver raising a gun to his head and pulling the trigger. The broadcast of the scene continued as the driver’s lifeless body collapsed forward,” it read.

Romero is seeking punitive damages claiming emotional distress and negligence. She is also asking that Fox News cover the costs resulting necessitated by her decision to seek treatment for the sleeplessness, headaches and depression that followed in the wake of watching her brother’s suicide alongside millions of viewers.

A Fox News spokesperson told Courthouse News that it has not seen the lawsuit and declined to comment further.

by Anonymousreply 1610/04/2013

If it bleeds, it leads, honey.

by Anonymousreply 110/04/2013

Can we all sign up to be part of a class action lawsuit? I am feeling great pain from the Faux clips I've seen.

by Anonymousreply 210/04/2013

I do think we could create a petition against Fox News and submit it to the FCC, the Justice Department, the Department Of Defense and the Environmental Protection Agency. That's right! All of them! They are a threat to the national security of this nation, and the well being of the American People. It abuses the people's airwaves and should be kicked-off. We need a million signatures, but it could be done.

by Anonymousreply 310/04/2013

The real surprise here is that the cops didn't get to gun him down first. Usually US cops can't end a car chase without injuring a couple of innocent civilians, damaging dozens of vehicles and then killing the suspect, either by crashing his car or shooting him.

by Anonymousreply 410/04/2013

We always watched high-speed chases at work but lost our appetite for them after this, it was pretty grim.

by Anonymousreply 510/04/2013

For $24.95, plus s&h, Fox will produce a DVD of the moment, set it to music and have John Boehner cry just for you.

by Anonymousreply 610/04/2013

I hate Faux News as much as the next guy, but this is sort of ridiculous. I'd rather sue them for the out right lies they spew.

by Anonymousreply 710/04/2013

I'll bite:

Does anyone know where I can see this footage online?

by Anonymousreply 810/04/2013

Faux News will settle this out of court so no one knows how much they had to pay.

Fox "news" is not a news organization, it's an entertainment business. They even went to court to codify their right to lie to their low-info viewers, who lap it up because it's what they want to hear.

They aren't a real news network. They have made their owner very proud of his and his family's crime spree around the world..

by Anonymousreply 910/04/2013

All of the left leaning media is broadcasting the slow murder of our country. Let's call it even.

by Anonymousreply 1110/04/2013

R8, try Googling "high-speed chase ends in suicide Fox," that would be a good start.

by Anonymousreply 1210/04/2013

yeah R8, his head blowed up good. His head blowed up real good!

by Anonymousreply 1310/04/2013

"They even went to court to codify their right to lie to their low-info viewers, who lap it up because it's what they want to hear."

What do you mean by went to court to codify this?

by Anonymousreply 1410/04/2013

Jesus, if everybody sued every time Fox traumatized them...

by Anonymousreply 1510/04/2013

Just for R8

by Anonymousreply 1610/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!