Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Calling a family member to wish them a happy birthday, and you don't know what else to say

I have nothing to talk about, and I never know how to end these conversations.

Tips please.

by Anonymousreply 1810/06/2013

Keep it topical.

If they're into popular science, hit up Discovery blog. If they're into cars, hit up a car blog.

Steer clear of politics, religion, and Hollywood.

If there is discord, stay away from family news.

I had one call me for my birthday yesterday. I kept him away from politics, brown people, and the economy by discussing 3D printing. It was not painful.

by Anonymousreply 210/04/2013

I would just send a birthday card. I have the same problem with my sister as we have nothing in common due to our very opposite lifestyles. I strongly believe that if you don't have anything nice to say to somebody then don't say it at all.

by Anonymousreply 510/04/2013

Call at 45 minutes after the hour when you think they will be watching tv.

by Anonymousreply 610/04/2013

To get out of the call, tell them you cut your foot earlier and your shoe is filling up with blood.

by Anonymousreply 710/04/2013

Sometimes I just avoid having to actually talk to them, by calling when I know they won't be home, and leaving a message. I make sure that I don't say to call me back.

by Anonymousreply 810/04/2013

Do you not know anything about this person? Any recent events in their life? Ask about relationships, mutual friends, vacations, work, family, pets...they must have something you can ask about.

People love to talk about themselves, especially on their birthday. Reminisce. Ask about the earliest birthday they remember, or their favorite birthday. Ask if they know their birth story. Try to think of a memory where you spent their birthday (or even yours) together. Talk about the last time you saw each other. Talk about the time when you were both happiest or had the most fun together. Talk about the people that you know in common.

If all else fails: the weather, gossip and current events.

End the conversation by saying "I should let you go." Give the impression that you think you're boring and imposing on them and not the other way around. Wish them one last HB, tell them to enjoy the rest of it, say "ILY" if that's your thing, and then say goodbye. If they linger, humor them, but at that point the conversation is in their hands.

by Anonymousreply 910/04/2013

What's new? How's the family?

Or tell them something about your life.

I was fortunate that my parents lived well into my middle age. But now, without them as a focal point, I find I have to make the effort to keep in touch with my siblings and their kids, or we will become strangers. So I do, because I love them, and want to keep the relationship alive.

by Anonymousreply 1010/04/2013

Send a card

by Anonymousreply 1110/04/2013

Ask what are their plans for the day

Will they go out to eat.

Give rec, food/cake.

Suggest movies out that you've seen or want to see

End the conversation by saying "Well I won't hold you, just wanted to wish you a happy birthday". That's it

by Anonymousreply 1210/04/2013

that is why God invented the text

by Anonymousreply 1310/04/2013

How does one end the conversation?

by Anonymousreply 1410/04/2013

LOL, I love that Kelly Rowland is posting in this thread. How random.

by Anonymousreply 1510/04/2013

Just talk about yourself until they can't take it anymore and hang up.

by Anonymousreply 1610/06/2013

tell them how they should really give anal sex a try.

by Anonymousreply 1710/06/2013

Tell them your fuck buddy is at the door and you haven't even douched

They'll understand

by Anonymousreply 1810/06/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!