Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Night of the Living Dead on TCM tonight, or Carnival of Souls

Which should I watch if I can't sit through both?

by Anonymousreply 3210/08/2013

Well, if you're that ADD, NEITHER -- they'll both be way to slow for you. CARNIVAL OF SOULS is shorter, though.

by Anonymousreply 110/04/2013

Is this the start of TCM's "Friday Halloween movies"?

Yay I'm so excited!!!!!

I will watch them all.

by Anonymousreply 210/04/2013

Night of the Living Dead is a beautifully made little film worth watching multiple times. Carnival of Souls is a worse than average horror picture with better than average cinematography.

by Anonymousreply 310/04/2013

R3 That's the impression I had when I watched the first 30 minutes of it. That's why I didn't especially want to sit through the whole thing and THEN be ready for NOLD. I think I'll skip it.

by Anonymousreply 410/04/2013

Carnival of Souls is drenched in dread and atmosphere. I was surprised by how well it's aged for a 60's film. It's still scary as hell. To me at least. Night of the Living Dead is a little campier, but still extremely effective. You really can't go wrong with either.

by Anonymousreply 510/04/2013

I like Carnival of Souls but I LOVE Night of the Living Dead. I'm a big zombie nut from way back.

by Anonymousreply 610/04/2013

I prefer Carnival of Souls. Candace Hilligloss gives a great performance but none of the rest of the cast can act at all, which somehow makes it even eerier and Mary more alienated. And it's such a perfect time capsule of a suffocating small town in 1960.

by Anonymousreply 710/04/2013

What was the name of the movie that was the forerunner of NOLD? The sci-fi one from the 50s?

by Anonymousreply 810/04/2013

They're coming to get you, Bah-ba-rah. Look, there's one of them now...

by Anonymousreply 910/04/2013

Never mind, I found it: Invisible Invaders

by Anonymousreply 1010/04/2013

I assume that R11 is a troll: "I doubt it's better than the remake with Lily Taylor and CZJ." Because it's common knowledge that the remake is one of the all-time worst remakes of movie EVER. Anyone who would think otherwise is a moron.

by Anonymousreply 1210/04/2013

I'd never even heard that there was a remake. the original is an all-time classic.

by Anonymousreply 1310/04/2013

Listen R12. I LIKED the remake better than the original "The Haunting". I would love to explore that house! I found it beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 1410/04/2013

It's based on Henry James' The Taming of the Screw.

by Anonymousreply 1510/04/2013

Are you talking about "The Innocents", r15?

by Anonymousreply 1610/04/2013

The Haunting is based on Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of HillHouse--even better than Wise's superb film.

by Anonymousreply 1710/04/2013

R14 is a moron.

by Anonymousreply 1810/04/2013

R15 better be a humorous troll or we are in trouble.

by Anonymousreply 2010/04/2013

Somebody grab R19's smelling salts - she has the vapors from all the VIOLENCE in Night of the Living Dead! A film that played uncut on local broadcast TV every Halloween back in '80s.

by Anonymousreply 2110/04/2013

You're the one who needs to grow a pair, R21, if you can't tolerate the fact that people have differing opinions from you. Grow up.

by Anonymousreply 2210/04/2013

Shut it, already, R22. I WAS joking, but you are one humorless ass. Apparently you have forgotten where you are.

by Anonymousreply 2310/05/2013

You are the ass, R/21/23 - and you need to look up "joking" in the dictionary since you don't understand what it means.

by Anonymousreply 2410/07/2013

Nothing kills a thread like two bickering queens!

by Anonymousreply 2510/07/2013

Stop it Johnny. You're ignorant!

by Anonymousreply 2610/07/2013

Night Of the Living Dead is an amazing movie. Turn off the lights and it's still creepy scary, no matter how many times you see it. I saw it the first time as a kid in the theater in the 70's and no one knew what we were about to see. It was a great movie going experience and I would turn around and literally see people cowering down under the seats. The incredible shocking final scene had the entire audience gasping.

by Anonymousreply 2710/07/2013

R27

You are so lucky to have seen it for the first time in a movie theater. My first time was at 1am in the morning all by myself as a young teen, and I was both scared shitless, and exhilarated in the pure joy of such an amazing movie.

Those unknown actors had so much humanity and nuances to their characters, they put today's actors to shame. I love George Romero's instinct for using realism and naturalism where it could have so easily turned into campy schlock.

by Anonymousreply 2810/07/2013

Girls, girls - you're both lame.

by Anonymousreply 2910/07/2013

Love "Night of the Living Dead" but Romero really sold his soul when he put out his name for some of the most recent zombie movies. Survival of the Dead, Land of the Dead, just awful awful movies.

by Anonymousreply 3010/08/2013

You have to love the way Night of the Living Dead is a completely home-grown horror classic, made for a pittance, yet it holds its own against any horror film ever made. Even the coarse acting of the supporting cast gives the film a goofy charm that doesn't detract from its powers of horror and suspense.

The shock ending is a brutally effective reminder that we live in a horrific world even without zombies.

by Anonymousreply 3110/08/2013

'Carnival of Souls' made a huge impression on me when I accidentally saw it as a kid on BBC late at night, years ago.

I think it's mostly a movie about the unability to make meanigful contact with other people, same as Polanski's 'Repulsion'.

It looks more like an expressionist movie from the 20's than something out of the 60's.

People who only focus on the plot, the acting & budget are clueless.

The stiff acting actually suits the movie perfectly, since all the main characters are awkward and isolated.

by Anonymousreply 3210/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.