Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What's the difference between 1st cousin, once removed and second cousin?

Aren't they the same thing said a different way?

I've always been confused on this issue.

by Anonymousreply 7403/15/2015

A first cousin, once removed is the son or daughter of your first cousin. The "once removed" refers to one generation removed.

A second cousin is someone whose parent is a first cousin to one of your parents; you would share the same great-grandparents. Or put another way, the children of first cousins are second cousins to each other, the grandchildren of first cousins are third cousins to each other, etc.

by Anonymousreply 110/04/2013

A first cousin is the cousin of your mother or father. R1 answered OPs next questions.

by Anonymousreply 210/04/2013

Are my brother's grandchildren my great nieces or grand nieces?

by Anonymousreply 310/04/2013

Your first cousin is the child of your uncle or aunt.

Your second cousin is the child of your first cousin

Your third cousin is the child of your second cousin

After third cousins it doesn't matter.

by Anonymousreply 410/04/2013

What is the first cousin of my parent to me?

by Anonymousreply 510/04/2013

I'm my own grandpa.

by Anonymousreply 610/04/2013

He's your first cousin, once removed.

by Anonymousreply 710/04/2013

I thought my mother or father's first cousin was MY first cousin once removed. The child of that first cousin and first cousin once removed is MY second cousin.

by Anonymousreply 810/04/2013

OP, to answer your question, yes, they're the same thing. "Once removed" is just pretentious baloney. A "third cousin twice removed" is just a fifth cousin (just add up the numeric terms).

R3, grand-niece.

R5, second cousin.

by Anonymousreply 910/04/2013

Just picture all the relationships in the form of a tree that expands both vertically and horizontally. The vertical kinships (whether ascending or descending) are the generational or "removed" ones (once, twice, etc). The horizontal kinships are described in terms of degrees ("first, second, third, etc.").

Thus, a second cousin twice removed is twice away from you sideways as well as either up or down, in the genealogical tree.

by Anonymousreply 1010/04/2013

Good grief.

r3 they are termed "great nieces" even though they are your brother's grandchilren. You would be their great-aunt or great-uncle.

r4 you are incorrect. Your first cousin once removed is the child of your first cousin, your second cousin once removed is the child of your second cousin, etc. Please see post at R1.

r5 similarly the first cousin of your parent is your first cousin once removed, to you. "removed" refers to the number of generations between you.

r8 you are getting it. Correct.

by Anonymousreply 1110/04/2013

R11 you are wrong.

Your first cousin is the child of your aunt or uncle.

If your first cousin has a child, that child is your second cousin.

All of this nonsense about once or twice removed is just that, nonsense. You are obviously no genealogist, sugar.

by Anonymousreply 1210/04/2013

[quote]OP, to answer your question, yes, they're the same thing. "Once removed" is just pretentious baloney. A "third cousin twice removed" is just a fifth cousin (just add up the numeric terms).

Do not listen to this. It's way wrong.

by Anonymousreply 1310/04/2013

Kindly fuck off r12. And stop spreading stupid and clearly incorrect information. You are incorrect.

by Anonymousreply 1410/04/2013

Even after reading all of your wonderful definitions, it still confuses the hell out of me.

by Anonymousreply 1510/04/2013

R12 is correct.

by Anonymousreply 1610/04/2013

Let me try to help, for those still confused, by reference to the Real Housewives of New Jersey.

Teresa Giudice and Kathy Wakile are first cousins.

Rosie Pierro and Gia Giudice are first cousins once removed.

Victoria Wakile and Antonia Gorga are second cousins.

by Anonymousreply 1710/04/2013

From merriam-webster.com

second cousin - noun: a child of your parent's cousin

removed - adjective: of a younger or older generation

Examples of REMOVED

The child of your first cousin is your first cousin once removed.

by Anonymousreply 1810/04/2013

First cousins if you share a pair of grandparents. Second cousins if you share a pair of great-grandparents. Etc.

Once removed is one generation away from being the degree of cousin under discussion. Twice removed is two generations away. E.g., grandchild of a first cousin is a first cousin twice removed.

by Anonymousreply 1910/04/2013

First Cousins - two individuals who have the same grandparents.

Second Cousins - two individuals who have the same great-grandparents

Third Cousins - two individuals who have the same great-great grandparents, and so on down the line...

Removed - this is a term used to describe the relationship between two "cousins" of differing generations. For example, your first cousin's child would be one generation removed from your first cousin, known as your first cousin once removed. The same is true in reverse; Your mother's first cousin would also be your first cousin once removed.

by Anonymousreply 2010/04/2013

R18! That made me understand! Viola!

by Anonymousreply 2110/04/2013

[quote]removed - adjective: of a [bold]younger or older[bold] generation

= the same damned thing

Delete "removed."

Use first, second, third, etc, whether your cousin is "younger or older."

Language evolves. Confusion is cleared. Thread is closed.

by Anonymousreply 2210/04/2013

DL irritated and annoyed amateur genealogist needs to go back to school. Follow the link.

by Anonymousreply 2310/04/2013

I believe that R4's parents were siblings.

by Anonymousreply 2410/04/2013

From west to east and east to west,

What's "once removed" is just a jest.

Cock of nephew, twat of niece,

let the emboldening typeface [/bold]CEASE!

by Anonymousreply 2510/04/2013

First cousin: Not okay to fuck

Second cousin: Okay to fuck

by Anonymousreply 2610/04/2013

[quote]DL irritated and annoyed amateur genealogist needs to go back to school. Follow the link.

No I don't. But you do.

[quote]Language evolves. Confusion is cleared. Thread is closed.

And r22 needs to learn to turn off the bold font when they are done completing a post. Thread is not closed and confusion not cleared because they keep posting wrong information.

Please see r1, r2, r7, r10, r11, r13, r18, r19, and r20 for edification.

by Anonymousreply 2710/04/2013

Brava, Endora! Brava!

by Anonymousreply 2810/04/2013

Let's try that again.

From west to east and east to west,

What's "once removed" is just a jest.

Cock of nephew, twat of niece,

let the emboldening typeface [/bold][/bold]CEASE!

by Anonymousreply 2910/04/2013

So the dude at r27 is now disagreeing with Webster's. That's not attractive hunty.

by Anonymousreply 3010/04/2013

This is why I don't hang out with my cousins.

by Anonymousreply 3110/04/2013

I noted agreed with R18, who took their correct definitions directly from Websters. Don't misquote.

by Anonymousreply 3210/04/2013

DL amateur genealogist on a clear mission needs Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 3310/04/2013

Thanks, R9.

by Anonymousreply 3410/04/2013

Here's a handy chart.

by Anonymousreply 3510/04/2013

[quote]Use first, second, third, etc, whether your cousin is "younger or older."

Only if you're an inbred redneck. It doesn't matter then.

The others here are correct about using "removed" properly.

by Anonymousreply 3610/04/2013

[quote]The others here are correct about using "removed" properly.

Only if you're a pretentious moob with a stick firmly up your bunghole.

by Anonymousreply 3710/04/2013

Just call everyone a cousin. Who the fuck cares what iteration or generation they are?

"This is my cousin, Joe. Joe's son, Fred, is my cousin."

Problems solved. THE END.

by Anonymousreply 3810/04/2013

You are all wrong about the "once removed" part. It is NOT just another name for a second cousin. Once removed means the SPOUSE of your cousin.

by Anonymousreply 3910/04/2013

You can create a small family tree on Ancestry.com, and then make it tell you your relationship to your relatives, to see the difference between "removed" and "2nd" and so forth.

If it's not free, I think you can create an account and then cancel within a few days at no charge, if it's worth the work to you.

by Anonymousreply 4010/04/2013

"Removed" refers to cousins of different generations. Your mother's brother's son is your first cousin; you and he are of the same generation because your parents are siblings. If he has a son, that son is your first cousin once removed; you are related to him through your first cousin, but he is one generation removed from you.

If you have a daughter, that daughter is your first cousin's first cousin once removed, and his son is your daughter's second cousin. They are second cousins because, unlike first cousins who share a set of grandparents, second cousins share a set of great-grandparents. Like first cousins, second cousins are of the same generation in relation to each other, but they are more distantly related than first cousins.

If your first cousin's son (your first cousin, once removed) has a daughter, that daughter (the granddaughter of your first cousin and the daughter of your first cousin once removed) is your first cousin twice removed and your daughter's second cousin once removed.

The degree of cousinhood (first, second, etc) refers to how many generations back you share the same mother/father set of ancestors. For 1st cousins, they go one generation before their parents' generation, and share the same grandparents. Second cousins go two generations beyond their parents and share a set of great-grandparents. Third cousins count back three generations before their parents and share a set of great-great grandparents.

Let's say Alex and Abby are siblings. Alex's son Bob is first cousin to Abby's daughter Betty. Betty's daughter Cathy is second cousin to Bob's son Calvin.

The removal factor modifies the relationships further. When first cousins have kids, then those kids become first cousins once removed to the first cousins of their parents.

In the examples above, Bob and Betty are first cousins and Cathy and Calvin are second cousins, but Bob and Cathy are first cousins once removed, as are Betty and Calvin.

The degree of removal refers to the difference in generations between the two cousins. Your first cousin once removed is your first cousin's child. Your second cousin twice removed is your second cousin's grandchild

So if Calvin has a son David and Cathy has a son Denise, David and Denise are third cousins to each other. Using David as an example, he is third cousin once removed to Cathy, third cousin second removed to Betty and third cousin thrice removed to Abby.

This really is not that difficult, and these terms are widely used and accepted by genealogists. Everyone arguing otherwise in this thread is either sadly mistaken or having a bit of fun.

R39, the spouse of your cousin is not a cousin. She's the spouse of your cousin. Cousins are strictly blood relatives, excepting adoptions.

by Anonymousreply 4110/04/2013

Why do people revel in stupidity here now? When did Datalounge become anti-intellectual? This place used to have some of the smartest posters on the web.

Is it the millenials? Based on the childishness of the replies, I'm guessing yes.

by Anonymousreply 4310/04/2013

R44, what's your damage? You're wrong and you know it. Or maybe you just don't know what you're talking about? Are graphs confusing to you? Were you dropped on your head by a cousin?

by Anonymousreply 4510/04/2013

[quote]Were you dropped on your head by a cousin?

No, R45, but R44's cousin is known to suck on his cockhead!

by Anonymousreply 4610/04/2013

The dictionary disagrees with you r45.

by Anonymousreply 4810/04/2013

No the dictionary link does not disagree with r45, but reinforces what he said, moron at r48.

But then again inbreds can't read can they?

by Anonymousreply 4910/04/2013

Only poor people would even begin to understand that question.

by Anonymousreply 5010/04/2013

R41 = tl;dr

by Anonymousreply 5110/05/2013

It's an incredibly easy concept that people seem to have a predisposition to not being able to comprehend, like homosexuality.

If you have the same parents, you are siblings. If you share grandparents, you are cousins. If you share great-grandparents, you are second cousins.

If one of you is the child of the other's cousin, you are cousins once-removed. If one of you is the grandchild of the other's third cousin, you are third cousins twice removed.

If you can't comprehend how all this works, you are probably dealing with issues like you are the second cousin twice removed of your sibling. You probably live in the south, where your mom is your dad's first-cousin-wife.

by Anonymousreply 5210/05/2013

I've never cared. My cousins are my cousins. The end.

by Anonymousreply 5310/05/2013

R47, are you getting help for your mental disorder?

by Anonymousreply 5410/05/2013

Are you getting help for that stick in your ass?

by Anonymousreply 5510/05/2013

You are here.

Your mother has a cousin named Sylvia. Sylvia is your second cousin.

Your mother has a brother named Bob. Bob's your uncle. Bob has a son named Dick. Dick's your first cousin and possibly your first frottage.

Dick married a girl named Heather and they are blessed with a son, whom they named Liam. Liam is your first cousin once removed. When Liam has children, his children will be your first cousins twice removed. They are your uncle Bob's great grandchildren and you will only meet them when he dies.

Sylvia's son, a doctor named Jack is your moms first cousin once removed, but your third cousin. You and Jack are free to marry. If you and Jack have a child together, you will be both father and forth cousin to that kid and a medical miracle.

None of this is true and only some of it is correct. You now have a template to follow and the memories of Dick and a future of Jack.

by Anonymousreply 5610/05/2013

[quote]If your first cousin has a child, that child is your second cousin.

Nope. That child is your first cousin, once removed.

Read the link. Or look at the diagrams.

by Anonymousreply 5710/05/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 5810/13/2014

[quote]Your second cousin is the child of your first cousin

No. That child is your first cousin, once removed. If you have a child, the two children will be second cousins.

by Anonymousreply 5910/13/2014

So what am I to the little toe-head nelly 8 year old named Gregory who is the son of my mother's cousin?

Mama Anna moi Gregory

And what kind of cousin is Anna to me?

by Anonymousreply 6010/13/2014

You aunt's child is your first cousin.

Your first cousin's child is your second cousin.

Your second cousin's child is your third cousin.

Anything after third cousin doesn't really matter. Please ignore the other posts on this thread and ignore the once removed crap. It is meaningless in the modern era.

by Anonymousreply 6110/13/2014

But Anna is my mother's cousin so what is Anna to me? Second cousin?

Her son is the little queen, Gregory. Does he become my third cousin?

by Anonymousreply 6210/13/2014

Ancestry.com has a writeup that's useful.

by Anonymousreply 6310/13/2014

What's the difference between 1st cousin, once removed and second cousin? Aren't they the same thing said a different way?

I've always been confused on this issue. ---------- No. They are not the same thing said a different way.

Your first cousin once removed ascending is your parent's first cousin. The most recent common ancestor(s) that you share with that person will be one or more of their grandparents, who will be grandparent(s) to you.

Your first cousin once removed descending is your first cousin's child. The most recent common ancestor(s) that you share with that person will be one or more of your grandparents, who will be great-grandparent(s) to that cousin.

Your second cousin is more distantly related than your first cousin once removed is. Your second cousin is always the child of your parent's first cousin (or to put it another way, the child of your first cousin once removed ascending). The most recent common ancestor would be one or more of your great-grandparents, who will also be great-grandparent(s) to that cousin.

It makes a difference in English and Welsh intestacy law. A first cousin once removed descending (who is a direct descendant of the decendent's grandparents) can be eligible to inherit an estate, whereas a second cousin (related to the decedent via their shared great-grandparents) is ineligible.

by Anonymousreply 6403/15/2015

Sorry. Made a typing error. This paragraph, "Your first cousin once removed ascending is your parent's first cousin. The most recent common ancestor(s) that you share with that person will be one or more of their grandparents, who will be grandparent(s) to you."

should have read "Your first cousin once removed ascending is your parent's first cousin. The most recent common ancestor(s) that you share with that person will be one or more of their grandparents, who will be great-grandparent(s) to you."

by Anonymousreply 6503/15/2015

Sorry. Made an editing error. The section on first cousin once removed ascending should have read, "Your first cousin once removed ascending is your parent's first cousin. The most recent common ancestor(s) that you share with that person will be one or more of their grandparents, who will be great-grandparent(s) to you."

by Anonymousreply 6603/15/2015

R64 it's not that hard. Go back and read the first post. We didn't need 65 posts and two years of discussion. It's basic stuff.

by Anonymousreply 6703/15/2015

My first cousin is the son of my aunt. His daughter is my first cousin once removed.

My second cousin is the son of my mother's cousin.

by Anonymousreply 6803/15/2015

Haven't read through the thread so maybe it's been explained but it's not that complicated.

First, second, third cousins refer to parallel generations. Your parent's brothers or sisters have kids, they are your first cousins.

Your parents first cousins have kids, they are your second cousins.

"Once removed" means a non-parallel generation. That means, if your first cousin has kids, they are you first cousins once removed. If in turn they have kids, they are you first cousins twice removed, and so on.

by Anonymousreply 6903/15/2015

I can't stand most of my self righteous cousin first, second etc anyway so really I don't care.

by Anonymousreply 7003/15/2015

First cousin = My wife

First cousin once removed = My son and my daughter

Second cousin = My brother (my maw and paw were first cousins)

by Anonymousreply 7103/15/2015

geez. super easy splanation here

c 1st cuz. someone u ave sex with on the downlow 2 nd cuz. cuz's cuz removed. offspring.jailbat 3td cuz fuk in open

by Anonymousreply 7203/15/2015

We all jus' fambly. Let's eat!

by Anonymousreply 7303/15/2015

It depends on how far back you need to go to find the mutual ancestor that you both have. The person who has the nearest relationship to the mutual ancestor is the one who 'defines' the relationship. If that mutual ancestor is both of yours' grandparent, you are first cousins. If the mutual ancestor is your grandparent, but the other person's great-grandparent, you are first cousins once removed.

by Anonymousreply 7403/15/2015
Need more help? Click Here.