Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Halle Berry signs on for CBS series

The fairytale ride of sci-fi spec Extant continues. After snagging one of the biggest commitments this season, a 13-episode straight to series order from CBS for next summer, the project has landed Oscar winner Halle Berry as the lead in her first series regular role. Additionally, Berry and her producing partner, Elaine Goldsmith-Thomas, have entered into a two-year, first look production deal with CBS TV Studios.

Extant, from Steven Spielberg’s Amblin TV and CBS Studios, centers on an astronaut (Berry) who returns home from a year-long solo mission in space and tries to reconnect with her husband and son in their everyday life. Her experiences in space and home lead to events that ultimately will change the course of human history. “There’s only one Halle Berry and we are incredibly honored that she has chosen Extant to expand her illustrious career,” Spielberg said. “As she does with everything she touches, she will bring a deep authenticity to her role and I very much look forward to working with her.” Added CBS Entertainment president Nina Tassler, “Halle is the type of award-winning actress you dream of collaborating with for an event project such as Extant.”

Landing Berry represents a major coup for CBS as the actress has been wooed to do series for years but had turned down every project to date, including Showtime’s Homeland and CBS’ Hostages last season. “I’m always on the lookout for amazing roles and when you see material that contains this strong of auspices, nuance and complexity it compels me to run toward it no matter the medium,” Berry said. “For five months a year I’ll get to live with and play this incredibly intelligent and vulnerable woman, and for the remainder of the year I’ll continue to look for other roles that move me as deeply as this one.” In addition to her Oscar for Monster’s Ball, Berry, repped by Vincent Cirrincione and CAA, won an Emmy for her starring role in the HBO movie Introducing Dorothy Dandridge.

by Anonymousreply 4410/05/2013

Sounds very interesting. I'll check it out.

by Anonymousreply 110/04/2013

I'll only watch if she wears her Catwoman costume.

by Anonymousreply 210/04/2013

I could believe almost anyone in the role of an astronaut before Halle Berry.

by Anonymousreply 310/04/2013

[quote] I could believe almost anyone in the role of an astronaut before Halle Berry.

I'm available!

by Anonymousreply 410/04/2013

The storyline actually has a possibility of being interesting. A network TV summer series isn't a good sign though.

by Anonymousreply 510/04/2013

Ah, another Oscar-winner bites the dus...er, bullet.

by Anonymousreply 610/04/2013

lmao

by Anonymousreply 710/04/2013

Dumbass Berry as an astronaut. It's a comedy, then?

by Anonymousreply 810/04/2013

Haha R8, she really is not much of an actress at all, she won the oscar because of Political correctness. He'll, she's not even that good looking. Couldn't they have cast a real actress in the role ?

by Anonymousreply 910/04/2013

Halle berry IS drama.

by Anonymousreply 1010/04/2013

She's hardly a less deserving winner than Sandy Bullock or Helen Hunt.

by Anonymousreply 1110/04/2013

R11, correct.

by Anonymousreply 1210/04/2013

The casting could have been worse. I know of a less deserving Best Actress Oscar winner.

by Anonymousreply 1310/04/2013

Smart move for her, career-wise. Her film career certainly isn't going anywhere, and at her age with two small kids a tv series will better fit her schedule and lifestyle.

She's not a terrible actress, but needs a strong project with good backers and runners like this one. A lot of actors who's film careers have stalled have done well with a move to television - Liev Schreiber, Claire Danes, Jessica Lange, Robin Williams. I'm surprised its network and not cable which has more prestige these days.

by Anonymousreply 1410/04/2013

I do think Halle's a stunner (though I guess I'm not the best judge of that) and I don't think she has to BE smart to PLAY smart, but. . . no. She just doesn't project intelligence or grit.

In the right role, she could do just fine on tv. Maybe in something more on the level of what Andie MacDowell's doing. (I mean, I haven't seen her show, but it looks like one of those Dr Quinn, Medicine Woman type deals that could float around forever. No idea who watches them, but someone must.)

by Anonymousreply 1510/04/2013

I'm not the biggest Berry fan but she is beautiful and can act. I'm glad there will be at least 1 more show that does not have an all-white cast, or one that has only white leads with non-white supporting roles.

by Anonymousreply 1610/04/2013

The only astronaut she should be playing is the one who drive across Florida in adult diapers.

by Anonymousreply 1710/04/2013

Lord, yet another film actress goes CRAWLING back to series TV after FAILING on the big screen.

This is all Glenn's fault, you know.

by Anonymousreply 1810/04/2013

Why does the Deadline article say this is her first starring role on regular tv? Years ago didn't she play one of the young aspiring models in that (CBS?) show with Joseph Bologna as the model-wrangler/mentor?

I never watched it but my sister was obsessed with it. I think Nicollette Sheridan was in in, too.

by Anonymousreply 1910/04/2013

She was wonderful in The Help.

by Anonymousreply 2010/04/2013

Years ago Halle even did a guest spot on that awful "They Came From Outer Space" tv show as well as "Living Dolls". Despite her tabloid drama, she is a very good actress when given the right material. She should have gotten a Best Supporting Nom for 'Last Boy Scout".

by Anonymousreply 2110/04/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 2210/04/2013

M---you are wicked, cruel and vicious. Come sit next to me and share a delicious cup of Sanka decaffeinated coffee!

by Anonymousreply 2310/04/2013

Oscar curse strikes again !

by Anonymousreply 2410/04/2013

Wait until the show gets cancelled before the end of its first season.

Does anyone here remember, "The Ellen Burstyn Show"?

by Anonymousreply 2510/04/2013

She actually has done alot of TV movies like Queenie and Their Eyes Were Watching God even after the Oscar. Black actresses have always gone between TV and movies with much more ease than their counterparts.

by Anonymousreply 2610/04/2013

Why, R26? Are they lubricated with crayon oil or something? What a ridiculous statement.

by Anonymousreply 2710/04/2013

R26 ===> RACIST

by Anonymousreply 2810/04/2013

I don't know, the show doesn't sound very promising.

Halle should just be beautiful, and have lots of pretty babies.

by Anonymousreply 2910/04/2013

r27 It is not a ridiculous statement. there is less of a stigma of black movie actor going back to TV. Fishburn, Regina King, and other black actors/actresses that are mainly known for films went to TV without the outcry or unsolicited sympathy.

I think partly this is because there are few roles for black people period, that there is less hesitation in going to TV.

by Anonymousreply 3010/04/2013

What fucking Helen Keller does not think Halle Berry is drop dead gorgeous??????? Yes, she is crazy as a shit-house rat, but she's beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 3110/04/2013

r31 She is pretty, but I don't think she is "drop dead gorgeous."

by Anonymousreply 3210/04/2013

I refuse to watch anything starring HalleBerry. The tv show will tank.

by Anonymousreply 3310/04/2013

Her producing partner Elaine Goldsmith-Thomas is a fat pig who everyone on both coasts hates. She was fornerly Julia Roberts' producing partner.

by Anonymousreply 3410/04/2013

She's ex-Debbie from KNOTS LANDING.

She can't act, but I don't think helen hunt deserved her Oscar either.

by Anonymousreply 3510/04/2013

[quote]She actually has done alot of TV movies like Queenie and Their Eyes Were Watching God even after the Oscar

Those were all pre-Oscar. This is her first TV job post-Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 3610/04/2013

she needs money for legal fees

by Anonymousreply 3710/04/2013

Can't Olivier Martinez keep her in the style to which she has become accustomed?

by Anonymousreply 3810/05/2013

R11,

Add especially Roberta Benigni in [italic]Strife Is Beautiful[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 3910/05/2013

Beyond the Halle info, why the hell would an astronaut be in space for a year ALONE? Makes no sense. They already lost me.

by Anonymousreply 4010/05/2013

Hey, I can't EGOT without doing TV!

by Anonymousreply 4110/05/2013

R36 she won her Oscar in 2002 TEWWG aired on ABC in 2005 according to IMDB.

Can anyone imagine Charlize or Sandra doing a network TV movie 3 years after winning the Oscar?

R27 & R28 you are just ignorant shits Jennifer Hudson, Kerry Washington, and Regina King are just a few actresses that very easily go between movies and television. There isn't the same stigma because its widely acknowledged there is less work for them.

by Anonymousreply 4210/05/2013

Because it's working so well for Robin Williams, Michael J Fox and Sean Hayes.

by Anonymousreply 4310/05/2013

Are you being sarcastic?

by Anonymousreply 4410/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.