Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

OMG! I'm reeling from living amongst the rednecks in Delaware!

My partner and I relocated to Sussex County Delaware recently after him assuring me it's gay-friendly. He lied! I'm shocked at how redneck it is. By gay friendly he meant the few and far between mostly butch lesbians and deeply in the closet older gay men who don't want to be identified with the out gay men who live in the Rehoboth Beach/Lewes/Milton area of southern Delaware.

These people! Most of them are missing significant amounts of teeth, and both women and men not only talk LOUD but with a unique mixture of southern/Appalachian accent. You've never heard anything like it before in your life! Add to that mixture of southern/ Appalachian accent, the gay voice of the few and far between, and it's the redneck twilight zone!

We live in a small enclave with people like ourselves, but venture out a mile, and it's redneck county USA of the toothless unwashed masses.

For such a small state, the vast difference between the southern and northern cultures are tremendous!

by Anonymousreply 4310/05/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 210/04/2013

How is it compared to living in Utica?

by Anonymousreply 310/04/2013

So move to Hollywood, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 510/04/2013

What's a "Delaware"?

by Anonymousreply 610/04/2013

I used to live in northern Delaware, and with the exception of visiting Rehoboth beach, never traveled south. I had no idea it was redneck.

by Anonymousreply 710/04/2013

How come Delaware can never be found on a map of the United States?

by Anonymousreply 810/04/2013

I don't know, r6. Alaska.

by Anonymousreply 910/04/2013

The sad part is that so many people don't even know Delaware is a state! Despite the fact that it's the first state.

by Anonymousreply 1010/04/2013

Is this you, OP?

by Anonymousreply 1210/04/2013

[quote]We live in a small enclave with people like ourselves

How fortunate you are to have found a group of pissy queens to live with! You can share fainting couches.

by Anonymousreply 1310/04/2013

(s)lower Delaware is as redneck as it gets

by Anonymousreply 1410/04/2013

Delaware up around Newark and the University is OK.

by Anonymousreply 1510/04/2013

Is this the only state that has such a difference between the north and south?

by Anonymousreply 1610/04/2013

They call it "Slower Delaware" for a reason

by Anonymousreply 1710/04/2013

Omar comin'.

by Anonymousreply 1810/04/2013

Delaware is the state that almost gave us Christine "I'm not a witch" O'Donnell as a US Senator and you're surprised by your neighbors?

For shame, OP. For shame.

by Anonymousreply 1910/04/2013

LSD = Lower Slower Delaware.

Why you would veer from Rehoboth/Bethany/Lewes is beyond me.

by Anonymousreply 2110/04/2013

Ewww Delaware sounds 3rd world...

by Anonymousreply 2210/04/2013

OP, you are exaggerating a bit. I am very familiar with the area and while many of the people could be classified as rednecks, those same people don't bother others whom are very different from them. The area reminds me of the Florida panhandle in many ways.

by Anonymousreply 2310/04/2013

Delaware? you mean that state that has marriage equality?

by Anonymousreply 2410/04/2013

WTF?

The entire state is HALF the size of L.A. country?

by Anonymousreply 2510/04/2013

Can't you drive to the "civilized" part of Delaware in like 10 minutes?

by Anonymousreply 2610/04/2013

Which part of Delaware is Ryan Phillippe from, and which part of Delaware is his fake accent from?

by Anonymousreply 2710/04/2013

Ryan Phillippe is from New Castle which is on the river up near Philly. So he's not SLD.

by Anonymousreply 2810/04/2013

Shouldn't you be trying to embrace diversity? People just like us! LOL

by Anonymousreply 3010/04/2013

by Anonymousreply 3110/04/2013

We can talk about Delaware but not about Utica, NY?

BOGUS MAN!

by Anonymousreply 3210/04/2013

Commiserations, OP. I grew up there and despite some rather elastic criteria of where I'm comfortable living that leave many gays mystified, Sussex County has very little to recommend it.

The only exceptions in the state are in New Castle County (the northernmost of the state's three counties), and in fairly small parts of it. The area west of Wilmington is one of the most beautiful in the country, but it's an exception. Historic New Castle, and a couple of small towns are nice, or nice enough to overlook the shortcomings.

Lower Delaware and Sussex County most of all have a tradition of ugliness, of tearing down what few bits of antiquity survived, or ripping down every tree and shrub and hint of civilization and throwing up modular Nanticoke Homes close to the road, surrounded by a swath of grass unrelieved but for a bit fucking driveway, and parking it up with half a dozen vehicles of all sorts (more in the four-car garage.) Restaurants and grocery stores are grim; and it's a long ass haul to an airport.

Residents are of two sorts: New Jersey retirees escaping high property taxes who spend their days making hideous crafts and birdhouses; and born-and-breds who are insular and deeply suspicious of outsiders. The home-growns tend to be huge, speak with the lilting tones of the women from Momma's Family, distrust education of any sort, age prematurely, and generally have a severity of appearance that is mean as cat shit (a popular expression in those parts.)

Delaware's history was complicated, and it was never clearly Northern nor Southern; it missed out on the attributes of either region. Instead it seems to have borrowed heavily from the worst qualities of both places. The South has attributes even if they are not always visible to some from the North, lower Delaware, though, finds itself very short in any plus column.

by Anonymousreply 3310/04/2013

Sure, r34. The *rest* of the US besides NYC is a dump, and everyone outside the five boroughs is ignorant and trashy. Mmm hmm.

by Anonymousreply 3710/04/2013

And he probably lives in Washington Heights, too, selling melon balls to the Dominicans.

by Anonymousreply 3810/04/2013

kisses R38.

by Anonymousreply 3910/04/2013

by Anonymousreply 4010/04/2013

embrace it..those are your people OP and you shouldn't be ashamed of your heritage. it's just life. be grateful they're not raging homophobes and judgemental..like you.

by Anonymousreply 4110/04/2013

R28, that explains where Ryan Phillippe is from but not where his accent is from.

by Anonymousreply 4210/05/2013

Rehoboth was founded as a Christian camp. Its reputation for gay friendliness is exaggerated.

by Anonymousreply 4310/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.