Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

GOP Governor Compares Gay Marriage To Incest

HARRISBURG, Pa. -- HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) — Republican Gov. Tom Corbett compared the marriage of same-sex couples to the marriage of a brother and sister during an appearance on a Friday morning TV news show.

The Pennsylvania governor was on WHP-TV in Harrisburg speaking about gay marriage when an anchor asked about a statement his lawyers made in a recent court filing, comparing the marriage of gay couples to the marriage of children because neither can legally marry in the state.

"It was an inappropriate analogy, you know," Corbett said. "I think a much better analogy would have been brother and sister, don't you?"

Corbett, a lawyer, former federal prosecutor and state attorney general, also said he does not think a pending legal challenge to Pennsylvania's ban on same-sex marriage belongs in federal court.

"The Supreme Court left it up to the states to determine under their laws as to what is and isn't a marriage," Corbett said. "The federal court shouldn't even be involved in this. But if they say they are, then they're going to make a determination whether the state has the right to determine that a marriage is only between a man and a woman and not between two individuals of the same sex."

Messages left Friday for a Corbett spokesman were not immediately returned.

State attorneys in August included a reference to children in a legal brief involving same-sex couples seeking marriage licenses. In the court filing opposing allowing same-sex couples to intervene in the state's lawsuit to bar a suburban Philadelphia county from issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples, the lawyers made an analogy to a pair of 12-year-olds, saying if the children were issued a marriage license and tried to defend it in court, they wouldn't be taken seriously because the license was never valid.

Corbett later rejected that analogy, saying the case revolved around the question of whether a public official had "the authority to disregard state law based on his own personal legal opinion about the constitutionality of a statute."

by Anonymousreply 1610/04/2013

He is a VILE man.

by Anonymousreply 110/04/2013

Pennsylvania was founded by Quakers who see the inherent worth of every human: we have Ilsa she Wolf of the Far Right SS running the state.

Just remember - this is the same idiot who as Attorney General looked the other way to protect Penn State's honor when the Sandusky thing started rearing its ugly head years ago. The current attorney general is said to be investigating his role in the coverup.

by Anonymousreply 210/04/2013

r2 He's gonna' wake up with a horse's head in his bed if he's not careful.

by Anonymousreply 310/04/2013

What a jackass.

And of course the federal government's "messed with" marriage before -- otherwise, there would be no interracial marriage in the southern states.

by Anonymousreply 410/04/2013

And water is wet...

These days it is only newsworthy when a member of the GOP is PRO-gay.

by Anonymousreply 510/04/2013

Thank you, r10. Pennsylvania was founded by people who were persecuted. People didn't like Quakers because they were liberal and even educated boys, girls, blacks and whites all underneath the same roof.

Corbett is a betrayal to Pennsylvania values. I'm really fed up with politicians pandering to the extremely homophobic and sparsely populated hinterlands of Pennsylvania.

by Anonymousreply 610/04/2013

Yikes! I meant thank you r2, haha...

by Anonymousreply 710/04/2013

You guys in PA (and elsewhere) need to get off your duffs and start electing better state politicians. I hope you pick a good Dem candidate for governor and have a strategy to turn the state legislature blue.

by Anonymousreply 810/04/2013

Why would he go after Sandusky if he was covering it up for years?

by Anonymousreply 910/04/2013

Governor: There is an unbreakable code/creed you obviously don't know:

'Sister dick will make you sick!'

by Anonymousreply 1010/04/2013

From Brian Sims:

GOVERNOR: All day long I've been hearing about the Governor's comments earlier this morning comparing marriage equality to incest. In truth, I'm not giving him or his comments all that much thought and I encourage you to do the same.

No one, not even his own party, would argue that he’s an intellectual heavyweight or even a particularly thoughtful person. The larger issue is that despite the fact that the majority of Pennsylvanians disagree with him, he continues to be the heaviest hitter in Pennsylvania’s anti-equality crusade.

Our job isn’t just to be frustrated with the homophobia coming from the Governor’s Mansion, it’s to do everything we can to ensure that his chapter in Pennsylvania’s political history is as sad and short as his record on schools, economic development and civil rights.

Tom Corbett has been a disaster for Pennsylvania for so many reasons and I hope this fuels your resolve to vote him out of office.

by Anonymousreply 1110/04/2013

Incest is OK according to the Bible.

by Anonymousreply 1210/04/2013

The Archdiocese of Philadelphia funds much of the anti-gay rhetoric coming out of Harrisburg.

And fuck this hypocrite. A career bureaucrat who has been sucking at the publicly funded teat most of his adult life has no business running on an anti big government platform.

And when you factor in the millions he's being paid under the table as the pawn of the PA fracking industry, he really is a chiseler of the highest order.

by Anonymousreply 1310/04/2013

Corbett has released a patented GOP "IF" apology.

Per his FB page

"“My words were not intended to offend anyone. If they did, I apologize.

“I explained that current Pennsylvania statute delineates categories of individuals unable to obtain a marriage license. As an example, I cited siblings as one such category, which is clearly defined in state law. My intent was to provide an example of these categories.

”The constitutional question is now before a federal court and that is the venue in which same-sex couples wishing to legally marry have standing to intervene and be heard. Same-sex marriage is an important issue and the question of its legal status is one that will be heard and decided upon its merits, with respect and compassion shown to all sides.”

Translation: If I offended to you, I apologize. If I didn't offend you, GOOD! Gays are still evil.

by Anonymousreply 1410/04/2013

You mean to tell me that actual people voted for this guy? Watch the video, he would have been better off in a janitorial role.

by Anonymousreply 1510/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!