Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

A friend wants me to go with him to Tijuana for the day (we live in LA. ). I'm terrified. Should I go ?

All I hear about is the violence there. We won't be at a resort, where I'd guess you're safe ( though not always). Is supposed to be filthy, and scary. Yet my dark side is intrigued.

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 6010/05/2013

"Yet my dark side is intrigued."

Dark side, OP? Your white slavery abductors will probably even bleach your darkened hole.

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 110/03/2013

Honestly OP, get a grip. Of course you should go. You'll be perfectly fine.

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 210/03/2013

NO -- you'd have a better time swimming in diarrhea.

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 310/03/2013

Make sure you go to a pharmacy and bring me back some drugs

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 410/03/2013

According to the State Department (which has a current travel warning for Mexico):

[quote]Baja California (north): Tijuana, Ensenada and Mexicali are major cities/travel destinations in the state of Baja California - see map to identify their exact locations: You should exercise caution in the northern state of Baja California, particularly at night. There were 278 homicides in Tijuana from January to June 2013. Mexicali’s murder rate has climbed from 14.3 per 100,000 in 2011 to 15.8 per 100,000 in 2012. In the majority of these cases, the killings appeared to be targeted TCO assassinations. Turf battles between criminal groups resulted in some assassinations in areas of Tijuana and Mexicali frequented by U.S. citizens. Shooting incidents, in which innocent bystanders have been injured, have occurred during daylight hours.

Personally, I think you'd be a fool to go to Tijuana, even for a daytrip.

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 510/04/2013

Unless you're under aged and want to drink or get a cheap leather jacket, there's no reason to go.

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 610/04/2013

It's been nice knowing you, OP. Can I have your things?

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 710/04/2013

Reasons to go, reasons to stay:

Love! being kidnapped Shakedowns by horrifying police Bugs in your intestine you will cherish always Drab, depressing population and buildings Long parking-lot style wait at border crossing Terrible to mediocre food with lots of tourist traps

Plus side?

It's not the US

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 810/04/2013

What's on your iPod?

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 910/04/2013

I'm sure it is far more scenic and safer to visit than Utica, NY.

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 1010/04/2013

It's fucking disgusting there. It'll make you SO thankful for your life once you get the hell back out of there. Oh, and after breathing the air there for all of an hour you'll feel convinced that you're going to get cancer.

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 1110/04/2013

[quote]A friend wants me to go with him to Tijuana...

With friends like that...

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 1210/04/2013

If you are looking for a hook up or drugs it is not safe. If you are a tourist doing a little shopping and lunch during the daytime, you will be fine.

Anyone wanting to help you with "anything" should be regarded with skepticism. Everything has a price.

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 1310/04/2013

OP is going to get kidnapped and become part of the donkey show, getting nailed three times a day by that poor donkey painted to look like a zebra.

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 1410/04/2013

Look on Google maps street view and decide if you're seriously going to miss anything.

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 1510/04/2013

Wasn't Tijuana a tourist destination in the 60s or 70s?

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 1610/04/2013

Don't waste your time, OP. Tell your "friend" to go fuck himself.

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 1710/04/2013

I was at a 3 day conference in San Diego for work. Since I'd seen the movie, Traffic, I'd been intrigued by the whole border crossing thing. One day, I decided to hop on the train in SD, and go to TJ for the afternoon.

This was about maybe 11 yrs. ago. You're right about the pollution and the air. Terrible. The city was like being in a third world country. Which I guess it is. But one of the most interesting features I observed, was the number of average Americans, retirees who went over there to buy drugs.

I mean prescription drugs. You could by anything over the counter at the "pharmacies." There were maybe two dozen of these next door to one another on the main street. I could immediately see how Hollywood stars, or average Californians could get addicted to Vicoden, Oxycontin, and all those other addictive pills because they were right there. Just buy some.

To be fair, you could get antibiotics cheap there too. Make no mistake, the suppliers of these prescription drugs were American manufacturers. Of course they tell you it's illegal for you to bring that stuff back, but everyone was doing it.

For every person Customs busted at the border, there were a thousand who no one bothered with. After about two hours of wandering around, I was very anxious to get back to SD.

I spoke to a few people who told me that TJ was much worse at night when the young people from the states would come over to party and get drunk and disorderly or high on drugs.

There were a lot of ODs and stabbings and fights. Ending up in a Mexican jail. But at the same time, they didn't want to discourage the money that those young people brought in to TJ. As I think back on it, there was this sort of "District 9 atmosphere. The entire are looked like a movie set depicting the complete breakdown of the civilized world.

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 1810/04/2013

Your friend is going to sell your organs.

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 1910/04/2013

[quote]It's fucking disgusting there. It'll make you SO thankful for your life once you get the hell back out of there. Oh, and after breathing the air there for all of an hour you'll feel convinced that you're going to get cancer.

R11, seriously is Utica that bad?

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 2010/04/2013

Don't forget to come see my donkey show!

(I wouldn't be doing this if Mitt had won.)

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 2110/04/2013

Just FYI, here in Canada we say the same things about going south of the border to visit Detroit.

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 2210/04/2013

If the OP never posts on this thread again, we'll know he accepted his friend's invitation.

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 2310/04/2013

I wouldn't.

I live in LA and I have no desire to ever go there.

Hawaii? Yes.

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 2410/04/2013

[quote]Just FYI, here in Canada we say the same things about going south of the border to visit Detroit.

Hardly an apt comparison.

When you go to Detroit, you get all of the crime, but none of the prescription drugs OTC -- or donkey shows.

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 2510/04/2013

TJ is the Paris of the Americas!

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 2610/04/2013

I wouldn't go if I were you. There are a lot of crooks there waiting to rip you off. For example a cute Mexican will flirt with you and you go with him and you'll get rolled and your pocket picked. Also a lot of STDs going 'round there. Just stay in L.A. and tell your friend you're allergic or something.

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 2710/04/2013

OP?

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 2810/04/2013

OP, if you are attached to your head (and want to remain so) DO NOT GO!

But if you're foolhardy, know your danger.

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 2910/04/2013

Wasn't there a post about this same thing a few weeks ago?

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 3010/04/2013

R27 is correct. My brother (straight) went with a few of his friends a couple of years ago. They went to a strip club, and one of the strippers was hitting on his friend. She asked him to go into a back room with her. When they got to the back room, cops were waiting and told him that they would arrest him if he didn't pay them. All of the guys had to put their money together to pay the cops off.

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 3110/04/2013

[quote]She asked him to go into a back room with her. When they got to the back room, cops were waiting and told him that they would arrest him if he didn't pay them.

For a moment I thought you were going to say "when they got back from the back room, my friend was missing a kidney."

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 3210/04/2013

Could you bring me back one of those gigantic tubes of Retin-A, lampchops?

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 3310/04/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 3410/04/2013

There are resorts in Tijuana?

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 3510/04/2013

[quote]Just FYI, here in Canada we say the same things about going south of the border to visit Detroit.

And for good reason.

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 3610/04/2013

OP here - Came back to this after 24 hours, and I see the consensus. OMG. I will tell my friend NO now. You guys made it sound even worse than I imagined . I thought I'd pick up some drugs (steroids) and call it a day, but now , forget it. The images you painted were vivid, and scary. It's off. Thanks....I guess.

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 3710/04/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 3810/04/2013

TJ is very gay friendly and there are hundreds of hot Mexican guys to choose from.

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 3910/05/2013

[quote]hot Mexican guys

Oxymoron

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 4010/05/2013

R40 I disagree. There are hot Mexicans (check Rent Boy), but you get the feeling if they're half way decent, they get out of Mexico, and go somewhere civilized.

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 4110/05/2013

Example of Tijuana guy you would see.

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 4210/05/2013

Sorry, but when I think of "Mexican" I just think of filth. And the fact that they don't flush their shitty toilet paper down the toilet & instead wad it up and throw it into a pile on the floor. That's all I can think about...not sexy.

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 4310/05/2013

I have heard that - why ? Cause Mexico pluming is bad, and gets stuck ? It's the most disgusting thing I can think of ......other than Danny Thomas, and a glass tabletop

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 4410/05/2013

Danny Thomas was not Mexican. He was Cuban. There is a difference. Thomas was a kind and decent man. He set up the St. Jude Hospital to help sick children, which is still going on today after his death. He was generous in donating his money to organizations to fund medical research. For you to spread such a stupid and vile rumor about him is immoral. Oh but you have no morals. You don't believe in God or showing compassion for others. It's all about you and your sordid lifestyle you hold so dear, isn't it, moron?

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 4510/05/2013

Yes, R30.

And, OP, you do not have a dark side.

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 4610/05/2013

Danny Thomas was Lebanese not Cuban or Mexican.

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 4710/05/2013

I'm going to ignore the disgusting prejudice I'm reading in a few of these posts, and add an additional, unnecessary warning for OP. In TJ, while it is true you can buy prescription drugs legally, over the counter ( bring cash) and many people do, it is illegal to transport those drugs back to the YSA. The Mexican police, and the thugs impersonating "plainclothes" police know this. They're often alerted, or have staked out those areas so they can "apprehend" you and relieve you of both your prescription drugs and your money.

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 4810/05/2013

I meant USA.

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 4910/05/2013

I wish I was in Tijuana, eating barbecued iguana.

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 5010/05/2013

Well they went on the first season of The OC and had a great ol time until that pesky Marissa had to overdose.

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 5110/05/2013

[quote]Anyone wanting to help you with "anything" should be regarded with skepticism. Everything has a price.

This is true even in the "safer" monied, tourist areas of Mexico, like Cancun. Before you can even get out of the airport you are swarmed by official looking men (wearing fake uniforms) who lead you over to an area where they try to hard sell you over-priced tours. Their scam is to suggest that this will be your only chance to get a good price (discounted) because they are the only company sanctioned by the Mexican gov't. After you leave the airport, you find out that the same tours are sold legitimately at every hotel and on every street corner at a much lower price.

Mexico is truly a disgusting place full of sleazy hustlers at every turn. Everyone is on the make. It's exhausting to have to haggle for everything as though you're at a Turkish bazaar, not knowing the true price/value of any product or service. It's a relief to come back to the US and be able to conduct simple commerce in a civilized manner. I'll never go to Mexico again.

There are much better places to visit, OP. Yes, even Utica, NY and southern Delaware would be preferable.

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 5210/05/2013

What a bunch of princesses in this thread. Tijuana is fascinating to visit because it's a mix if just about everything you can imagine. A trip won't kill you, OP, and crime is far lower now than it was even 3 or 4 years ago.

As for people trying to sell you things in Mexico, of course they are. They're poor and you're rich, relatively speaking. I've lived in Mexico and travelled all over the country, and have never once been swindled, made to pay a bribe, harassed, or anything else that the ninnies on this thread swear will happen.

I really pity you guys. So cosmopolitan in your own minds, but so narrow minded to the rest of the world.

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 5310/05/2013

OP, someone told me recently that they traveled there with a lot of Mexican nationals who were familiar with the customs process at the border. She was told they now X-ray the whole car and not to bring a single pill of any kind, not even her own prescriptions, because people bring empty bottles, fill them and bring them back. Apparently you can buy whatever drugs you want there, you just can't bring them back.

Not like anyone would want to risk jail in Mexico to find out.

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 5410/05/2013

R53, I'm not some "princess," but it's a proven fact in ever city and every country, that there are areas of high crime concentration, and tourists unfamiliar with an area are easy marks. This is certainly true of TJ. This was true whether I was wandering thru a bizarre in Istanbul, or hanging around the Trevi Fountain in Rome, the train station in Naples, or walking around Central Park at night,in NYC.

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 5510/05/2013

San Diegan here. Most of us go farther south if we decide to go to Mexico. I haven't been there in years, but a day trip down to Ensenada, with a stop at Rosarito Beach for lobster, was fun.

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 5610/05/2013

[quote]This was true whether I was wandering thru a bizarre in Istanbul

Oh, dear.

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 5710/05/2013

OP, let your friend go and then take out a life insurance policy on him.

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 5810/05/2013

Was it a bizarre bazaar?

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 5910/05/2013

Know that you were loved, OP.

by Terrified Teddy, with no gunreply 6010/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.