Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Gene Tierney in "Leave Her To Heaven". Best female performance of a borderline and/or sociopath ever on the screen

Watched the scene again of her watching Darryl Hickman drown in the lake, with absolutely no emotion. That, and only seeing how things effect HER, is really a textbook case.

by John Stahlreply 12112/10/2013

I love her closet! The wallpaper inside and out!

by John Stahlreply 110/03/2013

Great movie. Just to see hunky Cornel Wilde is enough reason to watch.

by John Stahlreply 210/03/2013

And what about throwing herself down the stairs, to abort her future child - the one that will take attention away from her.

by John Stahlreply 310/03/2013

Ellen just wanted some time ALONE with her husband, but everyone else was always butting it...

by John Stahlreply 410/03/2013

She's bat-shit crazy!

by John Stahlreply 510/03/2013

Most beautiful woman ever to grace the screen.

by John Stahlreply 610/03/2013

What does the title mean?

by John Stahlreply 710/04/2013

R7 I always wondered that too. It should be "Leave Her To Hell' , but they never would have allowed that back then.

by John Stahlreply 810/04/2013

I beg your pardon !

"To Hell and Back" starring war hero, Audie Murphy

by John Stahlreply 910/04/2013

It's from [italic]Hamlet.[/italic]

by John Stahlreply 1010/04/2013

OP, was she really crazy, too? Just wond'rin.'

by John Stahlreply 1110/04/2013

[italic] Leave Her to Heaven [/italic] sounds so lighthearted, like one of those Rosalind Russell nun movies.

by John Stahlreply 1210/04/2013

The Loni Anderson remake was titled 'Too Good To Be True'.

by John Stahlreply 1310/04/2013

Love this scene:

Ellen allows Danny to drown in the Back of the Moon lake

by John Stahlreply 1410/04/2013

Loni drowns Neil Patrick Harris to be with Patrick Duffy.

by John Stahlreply 1510/04/2013

Hickman really lashes out at Tierney in the audio commentary. He said Tierney WAS Ellen and that she treated Cornel and him shabbily. He also trashes Cornel and Jeanne as bad actors and talks about what a superior acting technique he was fortunate enough to study under. Then he starts advertising his acting studio.

by John Stahlreply 1610/04/2013

That was so sick when she let Danny drown.

by John Stahlreply 1710/04/2013

Actress' first considered for Tierney's role included, amazingly, Tallulah Bankhead ( who was filming "Lifeboat", at Fox, at the time), with Ida Lupino as her sister (borrowed from Warner Bros.). Then it was offered to Rita Hayworth, who turned it down (or Harry Cohn did).

The scenes at the lake, supposedly in Maine, were actually shot at Bass Lake, CA. , near Yosemite, and for the scenes where polio stricken Danny is recuperating outside, on a beautiful lawn, the producers used Busch Gardens, in Pasadena, which also had been used in " The Adventues Of Robin Hood" & "Gone With The Wind" ( as Twelve Oaks"), and also at the end of "Autumn Leaves", where DL favorite, Joan Crawford, meets up with a once mentally unstable, Cliff Robertson .

by John Stahlreply 1810/04/2013

I think she was at her most beautiful in that film, especially when she was on the horse. She was glorious in color.

I do wonder, though, about the line "Ellen loved her father too much" and how exactly daddy died. Seems to me Ellen's past has been pretty busy. Also, someone that beautiful, there had to be someone before Cornel.

As far as what Hickman said, I do get the impression that because she came from money, Tierney was a bit uppity and not particularly warm. On a sad note, the studios used to tell the starlets to smoke to lower their voices (Linda Darnell's had dropped about an octave by 1945) and poor Tierney died of emphysema. Lots of sadness in her life - her daughter talks of coming home from school and seeing Mommy on a ledge about to jump.

By the way, there was at one time a Tina Cassini doll designed by her father.

by John Stahlreply 1910/04/2013

In The Razor's Edge, when they were nightclubbing, Tyrone Power put real champagne in the glasses so after a few takes they were all wasted.

He gave her a scarf that said "love" on it after the premiere and she had to tell him she was seeing JFK (Cassini worked on the movie but the two were divorcing).

by John Stahlreply 2010/04/2013

Some trivia - Cornel and Franchot Tone were married (at different times obviously) to the same woman, so Franchot's kids were Cornel's stepchildren.

by John Stahlreply 2110/04/2013

Her daughter was born with mental retardation.

by John Stahlreply 2210/04/2013

R16, Tierney was bipolar (which wouldn't be diagnosed until the 1950s), and was in and out of sanitariums most of her young adult life. She also had a severely mentally retarded daughter to take care of, a situation that exacerbated her mental illness. So it's a bit disingenuous and MEAN of Hickman to liken Tierney to her sociopathic character, knowing full well that she was unwell and dealing with personal issues at the time.

by John Stahlreply 2310/04/2013

Wow, I wish the faux psychiatrists on DL would even try to differentiate between Borderline Personality Disorder and sociopathic/psychopathic behavior.

by John Stahlreply 2410/04/2013

Tierney's depression which led to bipolar disease started after the birth of her daughter, in 1943, and seemed to have been under control until around 1953, when she found it difficult to work. As a child and young woman, she wasn't in sanitariums - she was on Broadway when she was 17 and was also studying acting at the time.

Her story is the inspiration for The Mirror Crack'd. Apparently the way the fan recounts to the actress her story of having German measles and breaking a quarantine to meet her in the Christie book is practically word for word how Tierney heard it from her fan. It must have been devastating.

by John Stahlreply 2510/04/2013

"Leave her to Heaven" is a quote from "Hamlet." Quick summary: Hamlet's father was the king of Denmark, but his brother murdered him and married his widow, Hamlet's mother (who is perfectly happy with this arrangement, the asshole.) Hamlet is visited by the ghost of his murdered father, who orders him to murder his uncle, but not his mother the asshole:

"If thou hast nature in thee, bear it not; Let not the royal bed of Denmark be A couch for luxury and damned incest. But, howsoever thou pursuest this act, Taint not thy mind, nor let thy soul contrive Against thy mother aught: leave her to heaven And to those thorns that in her bosom lodge, To prick and sting her."

by John Stahlreply 2610/04/2013

Only Jesus can judge me would be the modern spin. Ugh.

by John Stahlreply 2710/04/2013

Who can forget Gene's turn as Victoria "Poppy Smith" Charterlis in the wonderfully campy "Shanghai Gesture". Her over the top performance is delightfully chronicled in "Bad Movies We Love". Watch her whine for Victor Mature and stomp her feet. Then Mother Gin Sling shoots her dead. Thank gawd for that!

by John Stahlreply 2810/04/2013

"Loni drowns Neil Patrick Harris to be with Patrick Duffy."

Wouldn't you?

by John Stahlreply 2910/04/2013

Julie Harris played Loni's mother . . . why?

by John Stahlreply 3010/04/2013

Don't get too excited. That photo of Cornell in the spangly tights is not from Leave Her to Heaven.

by John Stahlreply 3110/04/2013

Loni Anderson remade LHTH and Sorry, Wrong Number. She should have been garroted for having the balls to remake either one - damned lousy actress.

by John Stahlreply 3210/04/2013

At least Loni didn't remake "Mildred Pierce".

by John Stahlreply 3310/04/2013

R33 No, but Varla Jean Merman is playing her now onstage. Isherwood has a funny review of it in the Times.

by John Stahlreply 3410/04/2013

Any comparisons to "Angel Face" (1952)? Who was better, Tierney or Jean Simmons? I did find Simmons' accent a bit strange. But Angel's ending was more realistic than Heaven's. Loved both films, though.

by John Stahlreply 3510/04/2013

Loni Anderson also did a film that was a combo of "Dead Ringer" and "A Stolen Life." Whenever the name of a film came up, a friend of mine would say, are you talking about the original version or the Loni Anderson version?

by John Stahlreply 3610/04/2013

Loved Angel Face too and particularly the ending.

by John Stahlreply 3710/04/2013

I loved Jeanne Simmons. Loved her. I found Gene Tierney fascinating. Beautiful. My favorite was Laura. Speaking of Cornel Wilde, it seems to me that when I was very small child, I went to the movies with my older cousin to see some circus movie.

Cornel played some guy who walked across Niagara Falls on a tightrope. At least I think that was him. I think he wore tights. I loved circus movies and was always fascinated by the guys on the flying trapeze. Burt Lancaster, Tony Curtis. Damn they were fine.

by John Stahlreply 3810/04/2013

Cornel Wilde does nothing for me, I don't get it.

by John Stahlreply 3910/04/2013

Loni in high school: almost human.

by John Stahlreply 4010/04/2013

Cornel Wilde had zero sex appeal, as did Robert Cummings.

by John Stahlreply 4110/04/2013

True R31, but he's even younger and hunkier in Leave Her to Heaven.

by John Stahlreply 4210/04/2013

Love Gene and her wardrobe in the "staircase" scene.

by John Stahlreply 4310/04/2013

Wilde DID have sex appeal - but it was almost always when he took his shirt off. Or, in the case of "The Naked Prey", where he runs around the entire movie, in only a loincloth. But he looked good for 44 - which is almost the same as saying he was 54, nowadays.

Other films in which he stripped down- "At Sword's Point, where he is bound, and stripped to the waist, in a torture chamber, where his body is burned with a hot iron. And, "California Conquest", where he is stripped to the waist and bound to a tree, where he is continually lashed across the chest with a whip.

Wilde was Hungarian ( now part of Slovakia) , and his real name was Kornel Lajos Weisz

by John Stahlreply 4410/04/2013

Wilde and Jean Wallace made a lovely Hollywood couple.

by John Stahlreply 4510/04/2013

She's neither a borderline nor a sociopath.

She's misunderstood.

Why is there always a need here to blame women who are trying to love and be loved? A little manipulation always has been one of a woman's tricks, especially when she's in love.

It's misogyny, that's what it is.

by John Stahlreply 4710/04/2013

Thank you r47, that's what I've been trying to tell everyone all along. I need love, but left-wing misogynists keep saying I'm a sociopath.

by John Stahlreply 4810/04/2013

The camera is the only one that unconditionally loved her. Never betrayed her.

by John Stahlreply 4910/04/2013

Sometimes being a bitch is all a woman has to hang on to.

by John Stahlreply 5010/04/2013

Hungary usually means HUNGary - been with a couple Hungarians, and they were huge. Bet Cornel had a major meat bat

by John Stahlreply 5110/04/2013

Never got the appeal of Cornel Wilde either. Big unborn baby bird head, eyes too wide apart.

by John Stahlreply 5210/04/2013

From Leave Her to Heaven

by John Stahlreply 5310/04/2013

Cornel Wilde.

by John Stahlreply 5410/04/2013

Does anyone else have a problem with the last part of the movie? I thought the trial was so ineptly staged. It's been a while since I've seen it but I remembered that the "crime" happened in Maine but the trial was in Boston. Because there are no courthouses in Maine.

by John Stahlreply 5510/04/2013

Cornel Wilde in his prime sorta reminds me of George Kotsiopoulos.

by John Stahlreply 5610/04/2013

Vincent Price pings to high heavens in the movie.

by John Stahlreply 5710/04/2013

I'd go to Hell for Cornel.

by John Stahlreply 5810/04/2013

"Best female performance of a borderline and/or sociopath ever on the screen..."

I thinbk Bette Davis in "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?" give her a good run for the monry. It's not often you run into someone [italic]THAT[/italic] fucked up!

by John Stahlreply 5910/04/2013

R56 You NAILED it ! I was sitting here thinking he looks like someone around today. George K. Is like a minature version of Cornel. Thanks.

by John Stahlreply 6010/04/2013

Oh yeah.....miniature ! That's what every gay guy likes to hear about themselves

by John Stahlreply 6110/04/2013

I've never seen any shirtless pics of George K. Anyone have any ?

by John Stahlreply 6210/04/2013

Of all places - DL . 3/20/2012 R20

by John Stahlreply 6310/04/2013

R62, shirtless George...

by John Stahlreply 6410/04/2013

Notice how her still expression on the boat totally matches the stillness of the water as it closes around the kid. Expert performance and unmatched by any actress since. Only thing remotely close is Margot Kidder in "Sisters" doing a deliberately over-the-top and underplayed performance in one role.

by John Stahlreply 6510/04/2013

See Gene be funny in "The Mating Season" with the peerless Thelma Ritter and the gorgeous John Lund. Check out that supporting cast too.

Wonderful film. Touching and heartwarming and funny.

by John Stahlreply 6610/04/2013

And the irony of it all is with the elimination of Danny,Ellen and ostensibly Thorne...the beautiful Jeanne Crain is the one who gets Cornel ALL to herself.

Well played Ruth...well played.

by John Stahlreply 6710/04/2013

you can stream The Mating Season on Netflix and it's funny as hell.

by John Stahlreply 6810/04/2013

Cornel Wilde had lovely grapefruits.

by John Stahlreply 6910/05/2013

That was Richard Widmark . Cornel stayed at the same hotel, as Lucy & Ricky, and Lucy sneaks in, on a room service cart ( a tablecloth hiding her), that ' Bobby' , the chubby bell-cap, helps her with.

by John Stahlreply 7010/05/2013

What do you think ever happened to 'Bobby'

by John Stahlreply 7110/05/2013

[quote]in the case of "The Naked Prey", where he runs around the entire movie, in only a loincloth. But he looked good for 44.

He was 54 when he did that movie. 1966.

by John Stahlreply 7210/05/2013

Here's Tierney's bio, "Shattered Portrait" in the link below. I read somewhere that Gene was such a trouper she smoked to deepen her voice. That explains why her voice changed gradually over the years. Her voice improved, but at the cost of emphysema. Incredibly beautiful woman.

by John Stahlreply 7310/05/2013

R72 You are so right. That was a big mistake. He was in remarkable shape, for 54.

by John Stahlreply 7410/05/2013

What a coincidence. Are you a friend of Joe M. from NYC, OP? We were JUST discussing this film on Facebook yesterday!

by John Stahlreply 7510/05/2013

Could that be VPL I see?

by John Stahlreply 7610/05/2013

R75 No - live in LA, & the movie was on TCM yesterday 10/3/13. Watching it again, saw the Tierney character, and reacted. Thats all.

by John Stahlreply 7710/05/2013

Hot pits!

by John Stahlreply 7810/05/2013

Cornel giving you bicep.

by John Stahlreply 7910/05/2013

Cornel "nude".

by John Stahlreply 8010/05/2013

R79 With the (usually) energetic Betty Hutton. Wonder if they got along ?Anyone know ?

by John Stahlreply 8110/05/2013

Tell me what you think it looks like is happening.

by John Stahlreply 8210/05/2013

R 80 He must have a nude suit on - no buttcrack

by John Stahlreply 8310/05/2013

R82 BJ from Dana Andrews, at Fox

by John Stahlreply 8410/05/2013

Fucking amazing pic of Cornel.

by John Stahlreply 8510/05/2013

R81 They got along fine - they had to. They did many of their own trapeze stunts themselves (director DeMille insisted), and mentally, and especially,physically, had to trust, and rely on each other. Wilde first had to overcome his fear of heights - imagine having that fear, and then getting over that, to go on a trapeze. During one take, Wilde was on the swing, held by his legs, when he had to catch Betty. He tore 2 ligaments, in his arm, but continued to do 2 more takes, before the pain was too great, and he was sent home for several days, to recuperate. That's a trouper.

by John Stahlreply 8610/05/2013

"See Gene be funny in "The Mating Season" with the peerless Thelma Ritter and the gorgeous John Lund. Check out that supporting cast too.

Wonderful film. Touching and heartwarming and funny."

One of my favorite film comedies, right up there with "Father of the Bride"(1950).

It also has a scenery chewing performance from Miriam Hopkins as John Lund's mother.

In Gene Tierney's autobiography, she wrote that her mother began visiting the set of "The Mating Season" more often than any of Gene's previous films, until Gene realized why . . . her mother had a major crush on John Lund.

by John Stahlreply 8710/05/2013

The only movie I ever liked Cornel in was "Woman's World", an underrated film from the mid-1950's with an all star cast that dealt with corporate life and how it affected three married couples.

by John Stahlreply 8810/05/2013

Cornel was typical of the kind of Hollywood fit-fat beefcake that existed until Henry Willson came on the scene and forever changed the aesthetic for male beauty and pulchritude, as evidenced by two of his first clients Guy Madison and Rory Calhoun, followed quickly by Rock Hudson and Tab Hunter.

Those four men made Cornel and his ilk look downright dowdy in comparison, not only in body type but also face.

by John Stahlreply 8910/05/2013

r89, Wilde has a classical face. The Willson boys tended to have modern or in between faces.

See the "Modern face" thread at the link below.

by John Stahlreply 9010/05/2013

r82 Delirious with fever.

by John Stahlreply 9110/05/2013

I always liked Rory Calhoun more than Cornel.

by John Stahlreply 9210/05/2013

Great anecdote in the Henry Willson book regarding Rory Calhoun and Guy Madison observed fucking in the back seat of a parked car.

by John Stahlreply 9310/05/2013

They're both hot but Calhoun is sexier. However if I were a teen at the time I would have been beating off to images of Guy Madison.

by John Stahlreply 9410/05/2013

Her underplaying is very effective. She didn't telegraph this woman's madness and in so doing made her all the more nuts and unforgettable and the story not the basic melodrama it could have been but a much more compelling drama and eye-opening about psychopathology and our myths about recognizing sociopaths.

by John Stahlreply 9510/05/2013

Guy and Rory were Brokeback Mountain boys long before it was a glint in the eye of Annie Proulx.

They were lifelong fishing and camping buddies.

Rory Calhoun? Rory Nasty!

"Gayer than the lockerroom at the Ice Capades."

by John Stahlreply 9610/05/2013

Throwing oneself down a flight of stairs? Drowning in a lake?

What new, fresh and clever ideas!

by John Stahlreply 9710/05/2013

Gene Tierney was making an appearance at a canteen with soldiers during World War II. A little while after she'd had her baby, a woman came up to her on the streets and told her she'd left her quarantine to see Tierney at that appearance, exposing Tierney to the German measles that caused her baby's problems. The knowledge that her career caused her baby's problems overwhelmed her.

Plus being married to pig Cassini didn't help. His clothes for her movies were wonderful but his philandering didn't help stabilize her life. (Yeah, she was hardly a pure angel but if he hadn't been such a whore then she might not have been. He had the usual European "I can put my dick wherever I want" attitude.

On the Ghost and Mrs. Muir DVD commentary, Joe Mankiewicz' son makes sure we know that Joe didn't want her in that movie and had wanted Claudette Colbert instead. Joe didn't have enough clout to replace her at that point in time.

by John Stahlreply 9810/05/2013

So Mankiewicz seemed to have a thing for Claudette Colbert who he wanted but lost for both All About Eve and The Ghost and Mrs. Muir.

Did Joe ever make a film with Claudette?

by John Stahlreply 9910/05/2013

r99, just the 28th Annual Academy Awards (1956), whom the two co-hosted.

by John Stahlreply 10010/05/2013

Yes, R95. Of course.

Her riding ram-rod straight on the horse facing straight ahead with a maniacal mask of a face while mechanically and athletically scattering her too-beloved daddy's ashes from side to side with metronomic precision is only one example of how her underplaying was effective and how she didn't telegraph her character's madness.

From that scene alone, a Martian standing deep in the Valles Marineris on Mars would have been able to spot her insanity in one blink of his three eyes.

by John Stahlreply 10110/05/2013

R101. and that dramatic loud insane music when she was scattering the ashes was creepy too! It sounded like something that should play when galley slaves are seen rowing a ship!

by John Stahlreply 10210/05/2013

There's a YouTube video with Gene Tierney as a mystery guest on What's My Line in the 1950's. She's still beautiful.

by John Stahlreply 10310/06/2013

Oh, I think Gene looks very badly aged in her What's My Line? appearance! Compare her to Ava Gardner and Lauren Bacall when they were there.

by John Stahlreply 10510/06/2013

[quote]an evil Babylonian whoor

Oh, dear.

by John Stahlreply 10610/06/2013

[quote]He looked all fat and Italian

A brilliant description that I intend to borrow.

by John Stahlreply 10710/06/2013

Victor was Italian.

by John Stahlreply 10810/06/2013

Victor smelled like garlic.

by John Stahlreply 10910/06/2013

I love the scene where she throws herself downstairs to miscarry her child. I'm still trying to figure out why she got all dolled up to do that. And the next scene they cut to her coming out of the surf smiling radiantly showing off her flat tummy. This movie was sick - in a good way.

by John Stahlreply 11010/06/2013

R110, because it was a movie, silly! I loved the satin slippers she wore and wedged one of them underneath the rug just before she "fell." SO 40's!

by John Stahlreply 11110/06/2013

R105.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you about Gene's appearance...she seems so dissipated and troubled and you can tell the heavy smoking had affected her skin. This What's My Line appearance must have occurred around the same time Gene was living in the Mid-West and working at a department store as a means of emotional therapy.

She looks more like one of their non-celebrity guests here.

Compare it to her "Leave Her to Heaven" co-star Jeanne Crain's appearance on WML in 1959 where Jeanne is totally charming,funny,fresh and still beautiful.

by John Stahlreply 11210/06/2013

The music for Leave Her to Heaven was so irritatingly over orchestrated. Talk about melodramatic. As she was riding around scattering those ashes. Sheesh.

by John Stahlreply 11310/07/2013

I can believe that, R109.

by John Stahlreply 11410/07/2013

Lol, R101.

That scene was so weird. Why the hell was she throwing the ashes all over the horse's neck and her own lap?

Was she hoping some ashes would get blown up into her crotch?

by John Stahlreply 11510/07/2013

I'm imagining a parody called Leave Her to Beaver.

by John Stahlreply 11610/07/2013

Finally saw this film last year after hearing about. Beautifully shot & loving the fashion. She was obsessed. I would actually go to the movies if they made films like these.

by John Stahlreply 11712/10/2013

I found nothing wrong with her behavior andthought it perfectly reasonable; I posted that on DL years ago and was promptly diagnosed.

by John Stahlreply 11812/10/2013

It was on TCM earlier today, anyone catch it?

by John Stahlreply 11912/10/2013

In the long run she just saved herself the trouble of policemen traipsing around the house and asking when you fed the little bitch some pineapple.

by John Stahlreply 12012/10/2013

Was I the only one cheering when she killed the little brother?

I would have offed that kid much sooner!

by John Stahlreply 12112/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.