Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Sean Saves The World-premiering soon on NBC!

I gather it's one of the worst sitcoms of all time.

I want to see dinasours.

And Megan Hilty's tits.

by Anonymousreply 12911/17/2013

Is he straight on the show?

by Anonymousreply 110/03/2013

He's a gay dad.

by Anonymousreply 210/03/2013

Thanks, r2.

by Anonymousreply 310/03/2013

Try to imagine Jack from Will & Grace being 5 years older and well, Jack.

by Anonymousreply 410/03/2013

This laugh track is horrendous.

by Anonymousreply 510/03/2013

His face looks different, no?

by Anonymousreply 610/03/2013

I thought it was really good!

by Anonymousreply 710/03/2013

Definitely not the worst show ever. And first episodes are usually pretty bad in general.

by Anonymousreply 810/03/2013

It was b-a-d.

by Anonymousreply 910/03/2013

The people who greenlighted this must be headless.

by Anonymousreply 1010/03/2013

You'd have to be a gay parent to appreciate how on-target and nuanced the perceptive script was.

by Anonymousreply 1110/03/2013

[quote] You'd have to be a gay parent to appreciate how on-target and nuanced the perceptive script was.

Looks like NBC has a sure-fire hit. A show that you can't appreciate unless you're a gay parent = huge ratings smash.

by Anonymousreply 1210/03/2013

No one wants to see this shit.

by Anonymousreply 1310/03/2013

Go back and see my thread about this show being cancelled in no time.

by Anonymousreply 1410/03/2013

I'm Brian Williams and this is breaking news: With NBC's new sitcom, "Sean Saves the World", there are now officially more gay parents on television than there are in reality. Lets go now to Al Roker for reaction from the streets of Chelsea! Al, are you decent?

by Anonymousreply 1510/03/2013

The whole lineup is just awful. Everyone of these NBC shows are seriously unfunny.

How is making new shows that are hackneyed and humorless supposed to help network TV compete against cable?

by Anonymousreply 1610/03/2013

Bob Greenblatt is hellbent on running the network into the ground, and he just signed on for more years running the joint. He's also gay.

by Anonymousreply 1710/03/2013

But isn't NBC doing great on 3 nights of the week (Sunday, Monday, Tuesday)? It's the other four that are so fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 1810/03/2013

Parks & Rec is really starting to show it's age and it's difficult to get through now. Every time they cut to Ron, you know it'll be one of the same four jokes about his masculinity, love of food, fondness for woodwork, or his disinterest in people.

by Anonymousreply 1910/03/2013

Todd Milliner has what 5 shows on TV right now? Pretty impressive...

by Anonymousreply 2010/03/2013

While not exactly a trainwreck or morass of idiocy, the SSTW pilot depended too much on slapstick and cartoony characterizations for its humor. It's pretty lazy and not very funny.

by Anonymousreply 2110/04/2013

Two words: Linda Lavin.

by Anonymousreply 2310/04/2013

It wasn't as awful as I expected but it wasn't that great either. The office stuff was horrible - find him a new job and co-workers STAT. Lavin was good but at times I felt like I was watching Karen Walker version 2.0.

Biggest problem is the daughter is so bland and the actress so generic that you don't care about her or her relationship with Sean. An insurmountable problem since that's what the show is built around.

by Anonymousreply 2410/04/2013

Why are there so many bitchy wisecracking mothers on TV?

by Anonymousreply 2510/04/2013

It had some clunky moments, but I actually really enjoyed it. Better than Michael J. Fox Show for sure. I have a feeling it's going to tank in the ratings though.

by Anonymousreply 2610/04/2013

It wasn't funny. It wasn't clever. How it wasn't pulled off the air mid-episode is a mystery.

The banter between Sean and the daughter was awful. I had to comment how it was possible they walked off set feeling satisfied with that scene.

Probably the worst new show so far.

by Anonymousreply 2710/04/2013

Just out of curiosity, what comedies do you like, R27?

by Anonymousreply 2810/04/2013

The actress playing the daughter should definitely have been before the premiere. She has no comic timing whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 2910/04/2013

[quote]I gather it's one of the worst sitcoms of all time.

Because it stars a feminine gay man?

by Anonymousreply 3010/04/2013

[quote]I can't stand Sean. Also, in this new show he acts like a big fairy.

Why are gay men so threatened by feminine gay men? I have never understood this.

by Anonymousreply 3110/04/2013

Not all gay men are feminine, yet that's the stereotype that is constantly perpetuated by Hollywood. Fuck that.

by Anonymousreply 3210/04/2013

As much as I liked Sean Hayes in W&G, I think that he's a one-trick poney. I saw him recently in Win a date with Tad Hamilton and he was terrible. His 15 minutes of fame are pretty much over.

by Anonymousreply 3310/04/2013

[quote]Why are gay men so threatened by feminine gay men? I have never understood this.

I'm not threatened by Chinese crested hairless dogs, but I do find them repulsive.

by Anonymousreply 3410/04/2013

[QUOTE]Not all gay men are feminine, yet that's the stereotype that is constantly perpetuated by Hollywood. Fuck that.

Then get to Hollywood and try to change it. Or, change it in your hometown.

[quote]I'm not threatened by Chinese crested hairless dogs, but I do find them repulsive.

This is just another thread clearly meant to bash feminine gay men by trolls.

by Anonymousreply 3510/04/2013

R34 Repulsive? Really? Says more about you than about the show or the type of man it's about.

Sucks to be you.

by Anonymousreply 3710/04/2013

It's hardly one of the worst sitcoms of all time.

It's not great, but it's marginally better than The Michael J Fox Show, The Crazy Ones, and The Millers, which IS a contender for worst sitcom of all time.

Which begs the question - what the fuck happened? There's almost NOTHING good among the new series, sitcom and drama. One or two, and that's it. Everything else sucks to high heaven.

by Anonymousreply 3810/04/2013

No one has mentioned that the "transition" music ( a drum thing) is reminiscent of the ones from lats year's gay comedy PARTNERS on CNS?

Must be because Jim Burrows is the director of both?

by Anonymousreply 3910/04/2013

why do talented actors like Sean Hayes do this kind of shit for network tv--cant he get something to develop for HBO/Shotime/FX etc--

by Anonymousreply 4010/04/2013

R39, that same "transition" type music was used in the gay-themed film C.O.G. which was just released. It's all the rage in homo Hollywood at the moment.

by Anonymousreply 4110/04/2013

R40, I think it's because his particular talents are best suited for a network, multi-camera sitcom. I don't see him in a gritty cable comedy like Louie.

by Anonymousreply 4210/04/2013

It's funny you should say that, R36, because I got a weird Lucy Show vibe from the pilot.

by Anonymousreply 4310/04/2013

hes probably much more capable of doing of something other then the gay court jester thing doesnt have to be gritty necessarily-just smarter writing network probably pays more if it hits-but not if youre cancelled after a few episodes or a season because it stinks

by Anonymousreply 4510/04/2013

It is on tonight. I'm DVR'ing it just for Lavin.

This has DL classic written all over it.

by Anonymousreply 4610/04/2013

I only caught the last 10 minutes yesterday but thought it was pretty funny and clever. Can't wait to watch the first 20 minutes of it now! Glad NBC is rerunning the pilot.

by Anonymousreply 4710/04/2013

sounds like a laugh track to me. one of those Tyler Perry comedy laugh tracks.

by Anonymousreply 4810/04/2013

Does Sean have ""Friends" money?"

by Anonymousreply 4910/04/2013

I hope not, r49.

That would be unfair.

by Anonymousreply 5010/04/2013

it is flat and sluggish

by Anonymousreply 5110/04/2013

I liked "Don't look at my ass! Don't look at my ass!"

by Anonymousreply 5210/04/2013

I'm one of the few who liked it....except for the laugh track, which is so bad it's actually a distraction.

by Anonymousreply 5310/04/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 5410/04/2013

I just watched the pilot. For a traditional sitcom, it wasn't bad. I thought it would be worst. The promos/trailer made it sound a lot worst than it was. I hope it last at least a season.

by Anonymousreply 5510/04/2013

r49 Probably. He doesn't have to work after being on "Will and Grace".

by Anonymousreply 5610/04/2013

He and his business partner Todd, have a production company with 5 shows currently on the air. He's not doing too bad.

by Anonymousreply 5710/05/2013

awful laugh track

by Anonymousreply 5810/10/2013

by Anonymousreply 5910/12/2013

R59, the entire NBC Thursday night comedy line-up is a ratings disaster so far.

by Anonymousreply 6010/12/2013

What boss would force an employee (especially an executive as Sean would be) to work late when people can work from home now, especially in a New York company. That part of the pilot felt dated.

by Anonymousreply 6110/12/2013

I liked the bra episode, too.

by Anonymousreply 6210/16/2013

Sean's sassy blonde friend with the big tits is horrible.

by Anonymousreply 6310/16/2013

R64=Katharine McPhee

by Anonymousreply 6410/16/2013

It was funnier than I ever hoped it could be, but why does every sitcom have to end with a homily to middle class life. Can't they just let the humor and the situations speak for themselves.

I tried not to be amused, but Megan Hilty, Thomas Lennon and Echo Kellum made it hard.

by Anonymousreply 6510/17/2013

Thomas Lennon is a brilliant comic actor. Loved him as Lt. Dangle on Reno 911.

by Anonymousreply 6610/17/2013

[quote]What boss would force an employee (especially an executive as Sean would be) to work late when people can work from home now, especially in a New York company. That part of the pilot felt dated.

Not to mention Sean and his daughter just show up at his boss's doorstep. I hate that about sitcoms where co-workers just show up at your house. This NEVER happens in real life. And it would be fucking weird if it did.

by Anonymousreply 6710/18/2013

What the fuck is wrong with Jessica Walter's eyebrows? I kept waiting for Sean to make a joke about her burning her eyebrows off but it never came. So they're SUPPOSED to look like that??

by Anonymousreply 6810/18/2013

I'm sorry, but last night's episode was really good and I enjoy this show.

It's a shame that it's on NBC because it would be a hit on any other network.

by Anonymousreply 6910/18/2013

NBC has its work cut out. The Michael J. Fox Show was just plain awful last night and borders on being completely unwatchable in my opinion. However bad Sean's show is, it can't possibly be any worse. Both shows are in desperate need of a complete overhaul.

by Anonymousreply 7010/18/2013

We watched for about 10 minutes last night. He was on a blind date with some nice looking man. As soon as he opened the door, we knew it would be this juvenile attempt at comedy. Embarassing really. Hayes as not an ounce of subtlety in his acting. It was almost like a vaudeville scene from 1915. When the mother arrived...of course...we left.

by Anonymousreply 7110/18/2013

Nice looking man? Oh, you just made Robert Gant cry!

by Anonymousreply 7210/18/2013

I tried to watch the pilot on Hulu last night. Emphasis on the word "tried." Totally unwatchable. The prologue was god-awful, and then came the office interactions which were even worse. Probably saw a grand total of 8 minutes before turning it off. How does such crap get the ok?

by Anonymousreply 7310/18/2013

I sort of like the show and I wouldn't consider myself a Sean Hayes fan. I'll tune in but I won't cry if it goes away.

In last night's epsiode, they mentioned that the show is set in Chicago.

The set designs for both the office and home are very distracting. Has there ever been an apartment with that room layout? Only on TV.

by Anonymousreply 7410/18/2013

They're repeating it tonight in a desperate attempt to get more viewers, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 7510/18/2013

[quote]What the fuck is wrong with Jessica Walter's eyebrows?

Jessica Walter was on? What part did she play?

by Anonymousreply 7610/18/2013

No R76 NBC just has more holes to fill than swiss cheese.

by Anonymousreply 7710/18/2013

I think r69 meant Linda Lavin.

by Anonymousreply 7810/18/2013

At least Robert Gant has lost most of his lisp.

by Anonymousreply 7910/19/2013

I was offered the part of Sean's mother. Thankless part that only needed someone with limited range.

by Anonymousreply 8010/19/2013

Saw the repeat last night- awful! Who has conversations like that in real life? Sean is talented, but he is a one trick pony. The creators must have seen Kinky Boots in Chicago because the black co worker is channeling Billy Porter. This will not last a season. Another bomb for Megan.

by Anonymousreply 8110/19/2013

[quote]Who has conversations like that in real life?

To be fair, the same thing can be said about most (if not all) sitcoms.

by Anonymousreply 8210/19/2013

NBC just ordered more episodes.

by Anonymousreply 8310/19/2013

would have love to see Patty Duke playing the mother

by Anonymousreply 8410/19/2013

I watched part of it last night. It wasn't that bad, considering it's a comedy, which I don't usually bother with. I didn't finish watching it, however, as I became more interested in learning which Junior Master Chefs were going to go to the next level. That kid with blond hair was so weird, speaking in such perfect reality show confessional mode. I hoped he'd be the next to leave.

by Anonymousreply 8510/19/2013

[quote]NBC just ordered more episodes.

I think just three scripts, hardly a vote of confidence.

What is odd is that they ordered a full season of the awful Michael J. Fox show.

I guess being a bigger star with an illness you've played for attention and sympathy really helped.

by Anonymousreply 8610/19/2013

[quote]What is odd is that they ordered a full season of the awful Michael J. Fox show.

Fox only signed if he was guaranteed a full season.

by Anonymousreply 8710/19/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 8810/19/2013

Sean is very successful as a producer. He is one of the producers of Hot in Cleveland. My best quess would be that he WANTED to do another sitcom with the type of character he feels most comfortable doing, someone "sort of in the neighborhood" of Jack McFarland. It was his big breakthrough role and he rocked it for a long time. Same with Lucille Ball. She only ever felt comfortable being some variation of the "Lucy" character, despite it being rather pathetic and unfunny after I Love Lucy ended.

Sean might be able to do something with this show but time will tell. It's no Jack and Karen laugh riot yet, that's for sure. (And how long before Megan Mullally guest stars? Any guesses?)

by Anonymousreply 8910/19/2013

Dump Megan Hilty, get Megan Mullally on board instead. I'd like that.

by Anonymousreply 9010/19/2013

Megan Hilty instead of that bitch Karen is one of the things I like about the new show. I hated the "Jack & Karen" show.

by Anonymousreply 9110/19/2013

Sean is the worst part of the show. Well, him and the shitty scripts. The supporting cast is good, as is the premise of a gay man living with a teen daughter. But the writing, the laugh track, and Sean's "comic" antics are just so tired and one note. Who, for instance, invites a blind date over for a first date and then slams the door in his face? So ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 9210/19/2013

[quote]This is just another thread clearly meant to bash feminine gay men by trolls.

Get help, hon.

by Anonymousreply 9310/19/2013

The laugh track for this one has to be the worst one of all time. Who should get the blame for it?

by Anonymousreply 9410/19/2013

R96: I agree. The showrunner should get the blame.

by Anonymousreply 9510/19/2013

The writing needs improving. Period. Hayes is trying, but he's running in place. It's exhusting to watch him take sub-par material - the writing & premise,and try and make it work. The cast . the Lavin character is one note, and tedious. Dump Hilty, & that boss , and the office. Start fresh. There is a lot of talent being wasted here. The episode I watched the other night ('Blind Date") had promise - but when Robert Gant (real life partner of current NBC Entertainment head, Bob Greenblatt -gee, how'd Gant get the job ?) came in, the show became the worst kind of 50's sitcom slapstick, ending with burned food, TV exploading, and mom showing up at front door. Is the sitcom de-volving back to "I Married Joan" ? *

* Look it up

by Anonymousreply 9610/19/2013

Let's face the face: lgbt theme shows are not popular and will be cancelled quickly..Glee doesn't count because it's a diverse show"....

by Anonymousreply 9710/19/2013

The pilot was middling. The second episode was ok and the third was better. That may be all it takes for it to last a few years on NBC. I actually laughed a time or two this week, which is pretty good for me.

They need to re-tool the supporting cast, though. They can keep Lavin and Thomas Lennon, though I think they should turn down his Nazi schtick. Megan Hilty seems to be acting in a different show. You don't have to shout at the camera, dear. I cannot understand every third word Echo Kellum says because he apparently is incapable of not mumbling. The daughter is less interesting than wet cardboard. I get that she's supposed to be the straight man in all of this hokum, but you really have to work hard to be that dull.

by Anonymousreply 9810/19/2013

I like the show. The problem is that it isn't very distinct or original. None of the characters are very specific. Most of the often good jokes here could be given to another character without any problem. Hayes, Lavin and Hilty are very talented and sell what they have been given well.

by Anonymousreply 9910/19/2013

The New Normal was a lot fucking better than this crap.

by Anonymousreply 10010/19/2013

R102= Ryan Murphy, still bitter.

by Anonymousreply 10110/19/2013

After reading that NBC had given the green light for 4 new episodes based on talks to improve the show, I decided to watch on Hulu all three shows that have aired to date. They did seem to improve one by one. But they are still dealing with cliches up to this point. Hayes is a talented actor (very funny in a non-gay role in the recent Three Stooges movie) and deserves better material.

by Anonymousreply 10210/19/2013

I respectfully disagree, R102. Sean's show has a lot of problems and is in need of a complete overhaul, but The New Normal committed an even worse sin: it was just plain boring.

"Sean" at least does have a few laughs here and there but TNN spent so much of its time trying to make us think of the guys as The Perfect Gay Couple that they forgot to write them anything funny to do. Plus the cast around them was just horrid, the little girl being the sole exception, and the grandmother character tried way too hard to be shocking and instead just came off as ridiculous, unrealistic and desperate.

If it'd been up to me, I wouldn't have canceled The New Normal; like Sean's show, I would have renewed it and retooled it (same goes for Michael J. Fox's show). To me there's nothing worse than sitcoms with a great premise but lousy execution.

by Anonymousreply 10310/19/2013

I get Sean Hayes confused with Jon Cryer.

by Anonymousreply 10410/19/2013

r104 saw The Three Stooges movie.......oh my

by Anonymousreply 10510/19/2013

He's an ensemble player but not someone who can carry a show. He also looks like he's had plastic surgery using garnet sandpaper.

by Anonymousreply 10610/19/2013

I liked the twenty minutes I could stand. I'd lose the blond, the black, the daughter and the boss and Sean though. The rest of it was very good, especially Linda Lavin in the mattress world commercials.

by Anonymousreply 10710/20/2013

the show should have focused on his love life, rather than his relationship with his daughter.

There could be lots of comedy in his being a single father trying to find love and sex with his daughter getting in the way.

by Anonymousreply 10810/20/2013

I'm obviously in the minority here, but I'm enjoying the show. It gets better each week. The blind date episode had some clever bits.

Not saying the show is any groundbreaking comedy, but it does keep me entertained. It's far better than the Michael J. Fox show

by Anonymousreply 10910/20/2013

They should've called Sean's character Tommy Hyatt, and the viewers could've watched Alice deal with her gay son and granddaughter. Polly Holliday and Beth Howland could've guested. They could've explained Tommy's new face by saying that he was in a terrible car accident and the doctors just weren't able to save his BDF.

by Anonymousreply 11010/20/2013

The laugh track is so awful. I think I laughed once while the people on the track were in hysterics. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 11110/20/2013

When does the "Undateable" pilot air? All I can find is that it's a "mid season replacement." Really looking forward to Chris D'elia.

by Anonymousreply 11210/20/2013

I liked it. I hope it survives.

by Anonymousreply 11310/20/2013

Sean's show is far, far better than that Partners show with Michael Urie that aired for 6-7 episodes last season.

But as someone mentioned already, they're using the same style music as the transition between scenes.

by Anonymousreply 11410/20/2013

How much is Megan Hilty in his? How big is her role?

by Anonymousreply 11510/20/2013

[quote]They should've called Sean's character Tommy Hyatt, and the viewers could've watched Alice deal with her gay son and granddaughter. Polly Holliday and Beth Howland could've guested. They could've explained Tommy's new face by saying that he was in a terrible car accident and the doctors just weren't able to save his BDF.

One day, when Tommy was boiling water in the teakettle to pour over Alice's tired feet at the end of a long day at Mel's, there was an accident...

by Anonymousreply 11610/20/2013

[quote] why do talented actors like Sean Hayes do this kind of shit for network tv--cant he get something to develop for HBO/Shotime/FX etc--

Because he produces a hit TV series on NBC -- Grimm.

So they gave him a comedy series.

by Anonymousreply 11710/21/2013

The was the first throwaway episode, although it was nice to have the reunion of Off-Broadway's OTHER DESERT CITIES's Stacy Keach and Linda Lavin

by Anonymousreply 11810/24/2013

They ordered 4 more episodes, but not a full season. What's the point?

by Anonymousreply 11910/26/2013

I watched all four episodes on the NBC site. I thought the pilot episode was the best one. I wonder if it was actually, literally, shot first or if it just AIRED first. I know that the first I Love Lucy to ever air was the "Mockingbird Murder Mystery" episode but was not the first I Love Lucy episode shot. They did that, I presume, to give the performers a chance to "gel," to get a rhythm going, to get comfortable in the roles. That way, they air a better "first" show.

There are some funny moments. But the plots are contrived, silly and too 1970's "sitcommy." Grownups simply don't ACT that way. Slamming the door in a date's face? Throwing bras into the soup? In fact, they seem to THROW a lot of things on this show. Tired. The workplace blonde is wasted. The black guy has potential and some funny lines but he needs better writing. The boss, too. BETTER WRITING and he could be funny. The bra episode where he kept sneaking into the break room to eavesdrop was funny.

Linda Lavin is okay. She looks good for her age, I will give her that. But she is still playing an older version of Alice.

I really like Sean and I can see that he is TRYING to tone things down here and NOT be Jack McFarland. But there is so much slapstick (which he is great at) and then some "quiet" moments. I think the show doesn't yet know what it wants to be. Needs to find its sea legs.

by Anonymousreply 12010/27/2013

Anyone still watching? I really liked last episode. The show is getting better. At first I thought it was worse than The Michael J Fox Show but now it's way better.

by Anonymousreply 12111/08/2013

Just watched this past Thursday's show online. It was the best episode yet. The DC area didn't see it though...Thursday Night Football, of all things. I haven't seen regular weeknight programming preempted like that in ages.

by Anonymousreply 12211/09/2013

The network has ordered another five half-hours of the struggling freshman Thursday night sitcom starring Sean Hayes as a single dad.

The move comes after NBC gave the comedy an emergency infusion of viewers with a special live episode of The Voice as a lead-in last night, driving it to a series high. The Voice threw its 9.7 million fans at the Sean, which netted 4.6 million last night. Sean still came in fourth place at 9 p.m., though. But maybe the added sampling will pay off in the coming weeks; comedies can grow easier than dramas.

by Anonymousreply 12311/09/2013

The second episode was better than the pilot.

Thomas Lennon is very funny, but he should be used sparingly. It works better when he's in small doses.

I like the tension between Linda Lavin and Megan Hilty.

by Anonymousreply 12411/15/2013

I watched a few episodes and I liked them. I just can't remember when the show comes on. I just happen to find it as I am flipping through the channels.

I really liked the episode when the owner of the dry cleaners thought Sean was into him.

by Anonymousreply 12511/16/2013

Thomas Lennon is really funny. HIMYM really misused him.

by Anonymousreply 12611/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!