Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The 86th Annual Academy Awards - March 2, 2014

Best Actor in a Supporting Role: And the Oscar goes to ... George Clooney, for "Gravity"

Best Actress in a Leading Role: And the Oscar goes to ... Sandra Bullock, for "Gravity"

Best Picture: And the Oscar goes to ... "Gravity," directed by Alfonso Cuaron

by A.O. Scottreply 10101/16/2014

"[Gravity] rewrites the rules of cinema as we have known them."

by A.O. Scottreply 110/03/2013

I'm sure Gravity will get lots of nominations, but the oscar for best picture this year isn't even a contest.

by A.O. Scottreply 210/03/2013

Why do people act like they are personally invested in the outcome of Oscar season campaigns and the whims of Academy members?

by A.O. Scottreply 310/03/2013

Who gives a flying fuck? I sure don't.

by A.O. Scottreply 410/03/2013

America is not ready to give out Academy Awards to Latinos. They'll have their chance in about 20-30 years.

by A.O. Scottreply 510/03/2013

Best Actress: Cate Blanchett

by A.O. Scottreply 610/03/2013

How many damn Gravity threads do we fucking need?

by A.O. Scottreply 810/03/2013

Best everything:

Oprah!

by A.O. Scottreply 910/03/2013

[quote]I'm sure Gravity will get lots of nominations, but the oscar for best picture this year isn't even a contest.

Oscar voters don't give a shit about slave films.

by A.O. Scottreply 1010/03/2013

Christ on a mother fucking stale goddamned cracker. Oscars already??

by A.O. Scottreply 1110/03/2013

I used to care about who won the Oscars...when I was a KID. I have no idea why any thinking adult would give a shit, unless they were directed involved. But it is annoying when the Oscar is given to actors and movies that are truly undeserving. That happens all too frequently.

by A.O. Scottreply 1210/03/2013

I look forward to the Gravity dance number choreographed by Debbie Allen.

by A.O. Scottreply 1410/03/2013

It has a shot at Best Pic but in what universe are Clooney or Bullock going to win anything.

They'll both likely be nommed, esp Bullock if box office is good, but Ampas isn't giving either another statue so soon after their others. Clooney just won his second last year (as Argo producer).

by A.O. Scottreply 1510/03/2013

Scifi doesn't win Oscars OP.

by A.O. Scottreply 1610/03/2013

[quote]It has a shot at Best Pic but in what universe are Clooney or Bullock going to win anything.

Critics are unanimous that it's Bullock's best role to date. In other words, much better than the one she won her *first* Oscar for.

by A.O. Scottreply 1710/03/2013

Sasha Stone says a black film has to win. (what's her deal BTW---why so much white guilt?)

by A.O. Scottreply 1810/03/2013

Gravity will clean up in tech categories, and might even win best director. But 12 YEARS is a lock for Best Picture. It's politically correct AND it's that fuckin' good. Can't lose.

by A.O. Scottreply 1910/03/2013

Is this really an Oscar prediction thread or is it a thinly veiled attempt to promote Gravity? Sheesh.

I can see Sandra Bullock and Clooney getting nominations, but I also see Cate Blanchett getting a Best Actress nomination, which she stands a very good chance of winning.

I also see Chewetel Ejiofor getting a Best Actor nomination, ditto for Forrest Whittaker. Oprah will get a Best Supporting Actress nomination, Julia Roberts will also get a Supporting nomination and Meryl will grab another nomination for Best Actress.

Hugh Jackman might sneak in with Best Actor nomination, and look for Fassy, Idris Elba, Monument Men, and the latest David O. Russell movie, American Hustle, to get some nominations.

by A.O. Scottreply 2010/03/2013

No, only special effects awards

by A.O. Scottreply 2110/03/2013

[quote]Critics are unanimous that it's Bullock's best role to date. In other words, much better than the one she won her *first* Oscar for.

Critics were also "unanimous" that the Blind Side was her best role to that date and she finally got her Oscar. She isn't getting one for this even if she surpasses Davis, Streep, and Bergman all at once. A nom only.

Who keeps touting American Hustle here? Not one finished frame has been seen yet. I'll believe its deserving when its seen in its entirety.

by A.O. Scottreply 2210/03/2013

Pic. 12 Years A Slave. Actor Redford. Actress Blanchett.

by A.O. Scottreply 2310/03/2013

[quote]Critics were also "unanimous" that the Blind Side was her best role to that date and she finally got her Oscar.

no they weren't. It was a weak year and she was a nice person and a good savy business woman who brought the Proposal in under budget and made it the only Rom Com hit of the summer. I think the feeling was she may never get another nomination and M (who was nominated for Julie and Julia) and Carey Mulligan probably will....so they gave it to Sandra.

by A.O. Scottreply 2410/03/2013

Supporting Actor: Fassbender and his enormous man penis---he'll even get Clooney's vote

by A.O. Scottreply 2510/03/2013

The Oscar for Best Picture will be presented by Lauren Bacall.

by A.O. Scottreply 2610/03/2013

Viola Davis should win for her skin color.

by A.O. Scottreply 2710/03/2013

Let's not forget about T Rex McConaughey and Bradley Cooper. Oh, and Leo & Tom Hanks. All of them will be factors in the Awards season round-up this year.

Do not be surprised if you see Steve Carrell too, in a dramatic role. I hear he is very good. Of course, it might not yet be "his time." So much of what happens is determined by whether it's an actor's "time" to win.

by A.O. Scottreply 2810/03/2013

R22 is annoyed because not one single frame of American Hustle has been seen yet, and yet he's passing judgment himself on Bullock in Gravity, and he hasn't seen one frame of it yet.

by A.O. Scottreply 2910/03/2013

no R29, actually what I said was that Bullock will not get a second Oscar so soon after her first, even if she's spectacular in this movie. Its nothing to do with seeing the film or judging her performance, and everything to do with Ampas and Hollywood politics.

DOR and Hustle is a more straightfoward call. It needs to be very good, there's a lot of competition this year.

R28 Foxcatcher got moved up to 2014, so no nom or awards for Carrell this year.

by A.O. Scottreply 3010/03/2013

Please Lord Jesus let Oprah be nominated and win! I want to see the DL explode in a frothy fury. Thanks God!

by A.O. Scottreply 3110/03/2013

I could see Bullock winning - if it's a tough call between Blanchett and Dench (and Streep?), I could see Bullock getting it if she really is giving the performance that the Times indicates.

by A.O. Scottreply 3210/03/2013

I'm hearing that Jennifer Hudson may snag a nomination playing a heroin addict in the under-the-radar, Alicia Keys' THE INEVITABLE DEFEAT OF MISTER AND PETE. She's actually great in it unlike her undeserved win for screeching a song a DREAMGIRLS.

by A.O. Scottreply 3310/03/2013

So who wins Best Director-the black British man or the Mexican guy?

by A.O. Scottreply 3410/03/2013

No matter how many black people win we will still cry racism.

by A.O. Scottreply 3510/03/2013

Who are 'we',r35?

by A.O. Scottreply 3610/04/2013

the media r36

by A.O. Scottreply 3710/04/2013

She could sneak in a win if the vote is split r32. It's happened before.

But I stand by my analysis at r22 and r30. Ampas won't organically give her a second lead Oscar this soon.

by A.O. Scottreply 3810/04/2013

Elder gay boring shit. Who gives a fuck about this pretentious, meaningless BS? Unless you're in the entertainment business or have a close relative/friend in it, this shouldn't mean anything to you and won't change your life.

by A.O. Scottreply 3910/04/2013

So you pnly do things and interested in things that change your life r39?

Let's trolldar r39 and find out!!!!

by A.O. Scottreply 4010/04/2013

R39 posted in the David Beckham underwear photo thread!!!! (he was bitchy there too!)

by A.O. Scottreply 4110/04/2013

Blanchett and Ejiofor, easy as that.

by A.O. Scottreply 4210/04/2013

OK. My predictions for Best Actress:

Cate Blanchett, Judy Dench, Meryl Streep, Sandra Bullock, and one more to be named later.

For Best Actor: Tom Hanks, Leo, Matthew McConnaughey, (Dallas Buyer's Club) Chiwetel Ejiofor, and Forest Whitaker.

Best Supporting Actor: George Clooney, Christian Bale, Jeremy Renner, Ewan Mcgregor, David Oyelowo

Best Supporting Actress: Julia Roberts, Reese Witherspoon, Oprah Winfrey, Amy Adams, Melissa Leo

There's a few longshots out here, but that's my list. I don't have Colin Firth on the list for example, and there are a few others, too.

by A.O. Scottreply 4310/04/2013

I had guessed Cate would win for Blue Jasmine, but yeah the dollars win again, Sandy already has it won.

by A.O. Scottreply 4410/04/2013

Perhaps we shouldn't jump to conclusions. Already we know that Bullock has major competition from Blanchett, Adams and Dench; Gravity has major competition from 12 Years A Slave, and Clooney, if he is even considered a potential nominee in the supporting category, has major competion from Leto and Goodman.

by A.O. Scottreply 4510/04/2013

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by A.O. Scottreply 4610/04/2013

Kate Winslet and Judy Davis will have the 2015 Oscars on lockdown with the movie they're doing together down under.

by A.O. Scottreply 4710/04/2013

Too many of you are dismissing Redford's chances. Supposedly he does a knock-out job in his movie. He's also getting older and I don't think he's ever won an Oscar, has he?

I'll be pissed if Cate Blanchett does not win. Best performance I've seen in a long time, male or female.

by A.O. Scottreply 4810/04/2013

Redford won Best Director for "Ordinary People" in 1980 and was nominated for his performance in "The Sting" in 1974.

by A.O. Scottreply 4910/04/2013

Good lists R43 but Bale and Adams are leads in Amer Hustle. And you absolutely need to add Redford to Best Actor (odds on favorite, at least at this moment).

by A.O. Scottreply 5010/04/2013

There is some girl in 12 Years A Slave with a really African sounding name who is supposedly a lock for at least a Sup Actress Nom.

I think it will be the year of 12 Years A Slave vs Gravity. Both seems neck in neck in terms of reviews and festival reaction, although there is more passion for 12 Years and Gravity has gotten razed for its screenplay and tacked on background story for Bullock's character.

In the end, I think Academy voters will be swayed by the topicality of 12 Years and give it Best Picture. Cuaron could definitely win Best Director, though.

I think Best Actress is Blanchett's to lose. It is absurd that the greatest actress in a generation doesn't have a BA Oscar when Bullock, GOOP, Halle Berry, Natalie Portman and Grease Witherspoon do.

I don't think there is that much sentiment to give Redford Best Actor. He has an Oscar for directing already anyway.

Fassbender seems like an early lock for Sup Actor.

by A.O. Scottreply 5110/04/2013

Lupita Nyong'o is in 12YAS. And likely a supporting nominee.

Agree about Fass and Blanchett, and about Cuaron possibly stealing Best Director if Ampas members split their votes.

Disagree about Redford, there's a ton of sentiment for him. Remember we're talking about Academy members and Hollywood, not the general public. He's beloved, not just for his long career but for Sundance. He's got not only a Directing Oscar but an Honorary one. He's at least a lock for a nom.

Don't forget about Bruce Dern too. Also a favorite.

by A.O. Scottreply 5210/04/2013

August has received mixed reviews. Don't expect it to rack up the nominations. Even Meryl stayed away from its debut screening.

by A.O. Scottreply 5310/04/2013

It's between Bullock v Cate for Lead Actress. I've seen both. I can't believe I'm saying this. I really can't. But I'd vote for Bullock.

by A.O. Scottreply 5410/04/2013

ZZZ...you award show lovers have no lives. Why do you care who wins these meaningless awards? Talk about frau alert.

by A.O. Scottreply 5510/04/2013

R55, why do some people care about a bunch of millionaire Neanderthals who get together to move a ball down a field once a week? They even get into fantasy leagues and dress in their best team drag on game days.

by A.O. Scottreply 5610/04/2013

Reese witherspoon is not getting any Oscar noms. Best Supporting actress for what?

by A.O. Scottreply 5710/19/2013

For berating the cop when she was stopped for that DUI.

by A.O. Scottreply 5810/19/2013

You know, Idris Elba does a superb job in Mandela. Colin Firth in the Railway Man, Robert Redford, too. (who, IMO is the favorite) So the Best Actor nominees aren't necessarily a lock. Of course there's Leo for two movies, where he plays versions of Gatsby.

Yes, I believe Matthew Mc Conaughey will get a look see, I believe that Christian Bale for American Hustle will get checked out, and of course Hanks will be considered, as will Chiwetel Ejiofor, and Forrest Whitaker. Don't forget Joaquin Phoenix. I hear he's wonderful in "Her."

Some people are even kicking Hugh Jackman's name around, and if this were a weak year for male leads I'd say sure, but he played an over wrought father. (yawn.)

Best Supporting? Again, look at American Hustle, look at Jared Leto, Josh Brolin, possibly Javier Bardem, certainly Clooney, whether he deserves it or not, and possibly Ewan McGregor because he is well liked and always good.

Then we have any one of several actors from The Butler, Fassbender from 12 Yrs. a Slave, and Paul Dano is a real long shot, but worth considering. Maybe even Jonah Hill for Wolf of Wall Street. Is James Franco promoting himself for Spring Breakers in the Best Supporting Actor category or for Lead?

As for leading women, Meryl for August Osage County, Cate for Jasmine, Sandra Bullock and Judith Dench for Philomena. Possibly Lupita from 12 years. Amy Adams, Kate Winslet might get considered, and so might Nicole Kidman.

Supporting Actresses: Julia Roberts, Oprah Winfrey, Melissa Leo, and Scarlett Johannson for Her. Can't think of who else.

by A.O. Scottreply 5910/19/2013

Best Picture: 12 Years a Slave

Best Director: Alfonso Cuaron, Gravity

Best Actor: Chiwetel Ejiofor, 12 Years a Slave

Best Actress: Cate Blanchette, Blue Jasmine

Best Supporting Actor: Michael Fassbender, 12 Years a Slave

Best Supporting Actress: Lupita Nyong'O, 12 Years a Slave

Best Original Screenplay: (Nicole Holofcener for Enough Said)

Best Adapted Screenplay: John Ridley, 12 Years a Slave

by A.O. Scottreply 6010/19/2013

It will be a horse race between Cate Blanchett and Sandy Bullock for best actress. My gut goes with Sandy because Gravity is an enormous hit and likely to get many more nominations than Blue Jasmine, which will probably only get a screenplay nod besides Blanchett's for Best Actress.

by A.O. Scottreply 6110/19/2013

I wonder if the recent publication of Woody's sexual abuse of his daughter Dylan, in Vanity Fair will affect Blue Jasmine's chances for any nominations.

by A.O. Scottreply 6210/19/2013

R60 may be overstating the awards for "12 Years a Slave," but the general tone is right.

by A.O. Scottreply 6310/19/2013

R62, anyone with a brain can see that the twat formerly known as Dylan is a lunatic asshole coached to within an inch of her sanity by the hideous Mia Monster.

by A.O. Scottreply 6410/19/2013

They're not giving sandra a second best actress Oscar before giving blanchett a first. Gravity is cuaron's picture.

by A.O. Scottreply 6510/19/2013

Interesting post r59. Like your choices. Do you feel that Scarlett J will be considered for a disembodied voice though? I know she's central to the film. Phoenix is supposed to put in another solid lead turn in Her but if bo is weak or poor it will likely get lost this year.

Agree re Jackman, Matt McC etc. Amy Adams is overdue, would hate to see her get another unsuccessful nom that might seal her reputation as a multi-loser in Ampas members eyes (you know they tend to think this way). If American Hustle isn't really strong overall (I think bo should be very good but critically -?) it won't be her year, too competitive.

As much as it pains me to say, Whitaker and Oprah are near locks for noms (Lead and supporting respectively).

What's Josh Brolin up for this year?

by A.O. Scottreply 6610/19/2013

It'll be best picture Gravity, best director Steve McQueen.

Blanchett for best actress.

by A.O. Scottreply 6710/19/2013

R60 seems to have it pretty much right.

by A.O. Scottreply 6810/19/2013

Amy Adams is not overdue for an oscar. If Bruce Dern is nominated, then you can make a case for him being overdue for one. Jeff Bridges had to wait almost forty years to win for True Grit. Glenn still hasn't won.

Someone working under ten years in the business is not overdue for an award. Ridiculous.

And please spare us another year of hungry famewhores making asses out of themselves for a trophy. We've already endured one go around of Winslet and Leo's antics. Can we have a dignified Oscar season this year for a change?

by A.O. Scottreply 6910/19/2013

"Twelve Years A Slave" is the movie that's going to win all the Oscars this year. It's just the type of "serious" and "thought provokig" movie that the Academy loves to give awards to. "Gravity" is science fiction, and that kind of film rarely wins award except for the techinical categories.

by A.O. Scottreply 7010/19/2013

[quote]And please spare us another year of hungry famewhores making asses out of themselves for a trophy....Can we have a dignified Oscar season this year for a change?

Harumph!

by A.O. Scottreply 7110/19/2013

I talked to two voting members and they both said they are going to vote for Sandra for Gravity and 12 Years a Slave for best picture.

by A.O. Scottreply 7210/19/2013

[quote]It'll be best picture Gravity, best director Steve McQueen.

12 Years a Slave is going to win best picture. Period.

by A.O. Scottreply 7310/19/2013

[quote]And please spare us another year of hungry famewhores making asses out of themselves for a trophy. We've already endured one go around of Winslet and Leo's antics. Can we have a dignified Oscar season this year for a change?

A dignified Oscar campaign sounds so old school.

by A.O. Scottreply 7410/19/2013

R63, I would say that R60 is decidedly NOT overstating the awards potential for '12 Years a Slave' this year.

I can't imagine anyone, for instance, besting Lupita Nyong'o's searing, unflinching debut performance in this for Best Supporting Actress. Ejiofer and Fassbender (as well as surprising stand-out DL-fave Sarah Paulson) are all superb, but it's Nyong'o that I can't stop thinking about. Her work is simply unforgettable. One of the most haunting elements of the film, I think.

Best Picture and even Best Director for McQueen are absolutely in any conversation about winners.

by A.O. Scottreply 7510/19/2013

Gravity will pull a Lord of the Rings and win a bunch of technical awards, as well as Best Director. However, as beloved as Sandra Bullock is, I don't see how she'll sustain enough momentum to eventually be named Best Actress. Her performance was great, but it was woefully one-dimensional. Cate Blanchett had much more to work with, and Judy Dench and Julia Louis-Dreyfuss are also likely nominees who would siphon goodwill votes from Sandra.

by A.O. Scottreply 7610/19/2013

Hadn't thought about Julia Louis-Dreyfus. She might get nominated.

by A.O. Scottreply 7710/19/2013

Best actor is Ejiofor in 12 Years. Best actress will be Cate. Best supporting the woman from 12 Years.

by A.O. Scottreply 7810/19/2013

Oprah already had her backlash with the store incident two months ago. She's playing it low key now. She knows the nomination is in the bag anyway. Besides, it wasn't nearly as grotesque and pathetic as what Leo did or Winslet's daily "I was a fat, bullied kid so give me the Oscar!" campaign.

No one wants to endure such crap again.

by A.O. Scottreply 7910/19/2013

I hope it's not Gravity but all it's fans will be hoping for it.

by A.O. Scottreply 8010/19/2013

Phoenix is great but he's a pompous ass.

by A.O. Scottreply 8110/19/2013

Woody bothered his daughter Dylan? What next?

He really seems to be such a little asshole.

by A.O. Scottreply 8210/19/2013

Do try to keep up r82....that was old news.

by A.O. Scottreply 8410/20/2013

no r83...she will give a speech anointing herself the next Jesus. (BTW I don't think Oprah knows she is gay. No one has touched that hoo hoo since John Tesh walked out on it.

by A.O. Scottreply 8510/20/2013

What if 12 years bombs at the box office? Isn't it coming out a little too early for that type of film? Why didn't they hold it until Dec.

by A.O. Scottreply 8610/20/2013

Saving Mr. Banks is getting raves off its premiere in London. Emma's back in the game as an almost-sure nominee. Hanks may pull of double noms in support for Banks and best actor for Capt. Phillips. Disney desperately wNts their first Best Pic Oscar, and Variety thinks they have a chance.

by A.O. Scottreply 8710/21/2013

contenders for best cinematography

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

maybe Gravity as well.

I would love to see Judi Dench win something.

Best movie American Hustle maybe.

Clooney is a shit actor at best, he never gave an even adequate performance.

by A.O. Scottreply 8810/21/2013

I hope Oprah never gets near an Oscar, in the trailer she looks terribly try hard.

by A.O. Scottreply 8910/21/2013

Tom Hanks is back on a roll too - could he get a third win?

My choices:

Best Actress: Cate Blanchett (unless she has peaked too early) or Judi Dench for the sentimental vote for her old Irish woman looking for her lost son.

by A.O. Scottreply 9010/21/2013

Which ones are Harvey promoting/re-editing this year?

It will be interesting if Cate and Judi are seen as front-runners - they could re-release their joint effort Notes On A Scandal !

by A.O. Scottreply 9110/21/2013

Why is everyone so hyped up for Bullock? I liked the movie, but she was hardly some acting revelation.

by A.O. Scottreply 9210/21/2013

R91 Thought Judi acted circles around Cate Blanchett. Judi is amazing, don't really get the hype about Cate Blanchett. If you want a great Aussie actress look for Jacki Weaver (Animal Kingdom, Silver Linings Playbook - talking about making an impact in supporting roles) or Toni Colette (Little Miss Sunshine, Emma or her mind blowing cameo in The Hours).

by A.O. Scottreply 9310/22/2013

I agree R92, I liked Gravity fine but I don't get what about it means Sandra Bullock should get an Oscar.

by A.O. Scottreply 9410/22/2013

See? I *told* you bitches "Gravity" would sweep the noms; I was only wrong about Clooney. I *also* told you bitches O wouldn't yield a Supporting Actress nod.

I'll now add the following two predictions:

Best Actor in a Supporting Role: Bradley Cooper, "American Hustle"

Best Actress in a Supporting Role: Jennifer Lawrence, "American Hustle"

by A.O. Scottreply 9501/16/2014

Good for you R95 / OP. But Jared Leto will win Best supporting Actor. No one comes close. There's Jared. Then there's everyone else. If the Oscars want to continue to marginalize themselves they will over look him. But they do it at their peril.

Bradley Cooper was fun, hammy, and hilarious within the context of an over the top, often hilarious, almost operatic movie. But this is not his year. He ought to know that.

And the travesty that is Jonah Hill? He needs to kiss the soles of Martin Scorsezzy's shoes, after he's walked thru Chinatown, for getting this nomination. He needs to just sit down, shut up, and be grateful. Of all the nominees I feel he is on the short list of the Undeserving.

Most people who were nominated deserved their nomination. Well, maybe not Meryl & Julia, but if that meant nothing for Oprah, I can live with it. As far as I'm concerned Jared Leto & Lupita Nyong'o deserve top awards. They are the only two actors in this year's crop who so fully inhabited their character, they disappeared.

by A.O. Scottreply 9601/16/2014

Jared Leto and Lupita Nyong'o will likely take the supporting oscars.

(and frankly, Cooper? Great in the movie but is that really a supporting role? - then again, Christoph Waltz, last year's winner, was giving a leading performance...)

by A.O. Scottreply 9701/16/2014

Why do we have two threads???

by A.O. Scottreply 9801/16/2014

[quote]Do try to keep up r82....that was old news.

I can fix that in a hurry, "sis"!

by A.O. Scottreply 9901/16/2014

Clooney wasn't nominated, was he?

I don't want Gravity to win anything.

by A.O. Scottreply 10001/16/2014

Just give "lifelong achievement" actor Oscars to Bruce Dern and Judi Dench. Then who cares about the rest of the seat-fillers.

by A.O. Scottreply 10101/16/2014
Need more help? Click Here.