Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is anyone else afraid to swim in the ocean?

I refuse to do it.

Something might grab me.

by Anonymousreply 7110/06/2013

Her boyfriend was lucky he was drunk and stayed onshore.

by Anonymousreply 110/03/2013

I used to as a tot, now I only go in to my knees. I also don't want any nasty water touching my man-cooch.

by Anonymousreply 210/03/2013

Even something rubbing up past me is too much for this dear heart.

by Anonymousreply 310/03/2013

I would never swim in the ocean at night. No problem during the daylight though.

by Anonymousreply 410/03/2013

I won't swim in the ocean but I'll scuba dive. I know - it doesn't make sense. I feel more in control if I'm underwater and can see what's around me. If I'm just swimming, I'm afraid of what is below me.

by Anonymousreply 510/03/2013

Hell yeah! I was a kid when I first saw JAWS and it scarred me for life.

by Anonymousreply 610/03/2013

It's a huge fish toilet.

by Anonymousreply 710/03/2013

Beware of loose seals.

by Anonymousreply 810/03/2013

I feel the sane way about gay bars.

by Anonymousreply 910/03/2013

I'm not a strong enough swimmer to swim in the ocean.

by Anonymousreply 1010/03/2013

Grew up near the Jersey shore - and have no problems swimming in the ocean.

Now I live in the Midwest - and being out at night in rural areas surrounded by crop fields scares the hell out of me.

I'm not sure what is living in those fields and I have no intention of finding out.

As my BF points out - some people lock their car doors and roll up the windows when they drive through a bad neighborhood but I roll up my window and locks the doors when we we drive by a farm.

by Anonymousreply 1110/03/2013

I'm terrified of the ocean. I'm not a confident swimmer and the coast here on Long Island is rough. I only go to my ankles. I can swim in tranquil water but if a wave crashed over me I would panic, and that's ok, it's not for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 1210/03/2013

I used to enjoying swimming in the Gulf, it's so warm but I haven't been swimming there in years. Sharks!

by Anonymousreply 1310/03/2013

Well, if it's You vs. the Ocean- who do you think will win?

by Anonymousreply 1410/03/2013

"Now I live in the Midwest - and being out at night in rural areas surrounded by crop fields scares the hell out of me.

I'm not sure what is living in those fields and I have no intention of finding out."

We are, r11.

by Anonymousreply 1510/03/2013

I used to be fearless about nearly everything when I was young(er) and stupid(er). I now know more about what can happen and I'm turning into a fraidy cat.

I think I'll start to take more risks so I don't turn into an old man too soon.

by Anonymousreply 1610/03/2013

I'm afraid to swim in any body of water that isn't lifeless.

by Anonymousreply 1710/03/2013

Jaws ruined my ocean or any water except a swimming pool.

by Anonymousreply 1810/03/2013

r12: A few years ago I was almost swept out in an undertow on Fire Island. I'm a good swimmer and I was scared shitless. The only way I survived was gripping the gravel and crawling up to land on my belly. I was a bloody cut up mess but I am alive.

by Anonymousreply 1910/03/2013

I fear the ocean but it's primarily because the water is so polluted. I also fear the ocean at night, the dark water freaks me out. I can't go to the beach at night.

by Anonymousreply 2010/03/2013

How far from the shore were you, r19?

by Anonymousreply 2110/03/2013

Lord. I grew up LA and swam in the ocean all the time. Surfed. Still do. The chances of anything brushing up against you are ridiculously small, let alone a shark.

by Anonymousreply 2210/03/2013

Too many horrifying creatures in there, and cold water

by Anonymousreply 2310/03/2013

Can you explain what it was like R12? I've always heard about the word undertows but I don't think I know anyone who was involved in on.

by Anonymousreply 2410/03/2013

R15 - exactly.

You guys were never near the shore.

by Anonymousreply 2510/03/2013

Never in the ocean, it is infested with poor people.

by Anonymousreply 2610/03/2013

I've been caught in an undertow that was very close to shore. All of a sudden you lose the bottom and the only way you can get out of it is by swimming across it. But I didn't know that then and I was getting tossed close to shore by the giant waves (also on Fire Island), and then sucked out again. I remember saying Help to one guy who was no more than five feet away from me, and standing up. He looked at me and said, "What?" but I slid right by. Finally a giant wave deposited me on the shore. I felt like I was gonna die.

by Anonymousreply 2710/03/2013

"All of a sudden you lose the bottom and the only way you can get out of it is by swimming across it."

Can you clarify what you mean by "swimming across it", as now I am afraid of this happening to me and I want to be prepared?

by Anonymousreply 2810/03/2013

Avid swimmer here with a strong preference for the ocean over a lake.

by Anonymousreply 2910/03/2013

A small shark can bite a chunk out of your leg even in knee-deep water. Shark bite are one of the few horrors in life that are 100% preventable. So no, I do not wade into the ocean.

by Anonymousreply 3010/03/2013

I was body surfing in La Jolla and got caught up in a wave and came close to crashing into the rocks. That scared me. Then I came close to drowning in a swimming pool because I dislocated my shoulder. Then I was body surfing near Newport Rhode Island and once again got caught up in a wave that scared me. I guess I am just a pussy.

by Anonymousreply 3110/03/2013

When those long seaweed vines creep up and start caressing my legs my heart just about stops. Yech!

by Anonymousreply 3210/03/2013

Stella Maris, r30!

by Anonymousreply 3310/03/2013

I've actually encounters more fish and other debris bumping into me while swimming in a lake.

by Anonymousreply 3410/03/2013

I almost died in Hawaii once. I was out an outcropping of lava rocks watching some giant sea turtles when a series of very large waves came in. I couldn't get off the rocks fast enough, and the waves knocked me off the rocks & into the ocean, then bashed me back against the lava rocks, then pulled me back out, then bashed me back in...lather, rinse, repeat. By the time I managed to get out I was all cut up & my fingernails were all mangled from trying to grab on to the sharp rocks. At least the sea turtles didn't bite me.

by Anonymousreply 3510/03/2013

Oh! And another time I was face-to-face with a barracuda while snorkeling in the Bahamas. I GTFO of there so fast. On that same trip (possibly even the same day, I can't recall) a young boy at our hotel got his leg bit by a barracuda!

by Anonymousreply 3610/03/2013

Ouch, R35. Sounds painful.

by Anonymousreply 3710/03/2013

I live very close to the beach, Gulf of Mexico. I've been brushed up on by, God knows what. I go in hip deep, which can be far out in the Gulf, but I stay close to shore. My son has been stung by jellyfish, and once, while swimming we were surrounded by billions of tiny silvery ones, it was beyond beautiful. Now I'd get out, as there's a good chance of predators being around for the feast, but at the time it didn't occur to us.

by Anonymousreply 3810/03/2013

The only way I'd do it is if Ciaran went with me in the water

by Anonymousreply 3910/03/2013

I honestly don't know, r21. But I remember looking around me and seeing NO ONE in the water.

I know exactly how you felt, r27. Just terrifying. Sorry you went through it.

by Anonymousreply 4010/04/2013

sharks are dangerous of course, but squids are freaky! imagine one grabbing you and wrestling you with those poisonous tentacles, pulling you closer into the mouth with razor-sharp teeth. all that going on underwater.

by Anonymousreply 4110/04/2013

I'm not afraid if it's a bay, I have this idea that both the waves and the marine life are much tamer in a bay. But a beach right on the vast open ocean, yeah. Jaws scarred me for life!

by Anonymousreply 4210/04/2013

what about the radiation from Japan?

by Anonymousreply 4310/04/2013

I'm like R5, love scuba diving, won't swim in the ocean. After scuba, knowing all the creatures that are right under your nose, it freaks me out not being able to see what's down there. I love scuba, though.

by Anonymousreply 4410/04/2013

If I were R31 I think I'd avoid recreational activities involving water.

by Anonymousreply 4510/05/2013

I love the water. I and the sharks have an agreement, however, that I stay out of their way and they stay out of mine. I won't break that agreement.

by Anonymousreply 4610/05/2013

Do not worry you aren't the only one afraid. I was almost drown in CA. A wave hit me and knocked me down. I am still scared. So ill stick to the PUBLIC POOL!!!!!!! :D (derp face) XD

by Anonymousreply 4710/05/2013

Something might grab you when you're in a canoe on a lake.

by Anonymousreply 4810/05/2013

I saw jaws 1 year ago!!!!!! Who the **** made that!!!!!! It scared me to death!!!!

by Anonymousreply 4910/05/2013

Sorry about the curse

by Anonymousreply 5010/05/2013

[quote]While people can drown in any body of water, even a puddle, undertow itself is relatively harmless; the great majority of drownings near the beach happen because people get caught in a rip current which draws them out to sea, and they are either poor swimmers or do not understand how to get free from a rip current.

by Anonymousreply 5110/05/2013

What are you, 12, R40/50?

by Anonymousreply 5210/05/2013

(BTW how do I post a thread? I'm lost)

by Anonymousreply 5310/05/2013

[quote]sharks are dangerous of course, but squids are freaky! imagine one grabbing you and wrestling you with those poisonous tentacles, pulling you closer into the mouth with razor-sharp teeth. all that going on underwater.

Yeah, and just think about all of those squid attacks which go unreported!

by Anonymousreply 5410/05/2013

I'm pretty sure R27 was caught in a rip current.

Afaik, undertows like to suck you down so that you drown. Rip currents pull you sideways, and usually out to sea.

by Anonymousreply 5510/05/2013

Has Sharknado taught you nothing R30?

by Anonymousreply 5610/05/2013

400 lb. giant squid washes up on shore in Spain this week. Photo attached. Calamari at 6 pm.

by Anonymousreply 5710/05/2013

[quote]Can you clarify what you mean by "swimming across it", as now I am afraid of this happening to me and I want to be prepared?

Basically, swim parallel to the shoreline until you're out of it. Don't try to swim toward the shore, or it'll pull you down.

by Anonymousreply 5810/05/2013

Thanks, r58.

So if that's how you get free from an undertow, how do you get free from a rip current?

by Anonymousreply 5910/05/2013

[quote]400 lb. giant squid washes up on shore in Spain this week. Photo attached. Calamari at 6 pm.

Aww, it looks sad.

by Anonymousreply 6010/05/2013

Oceans are a great place for sex, but I'd never do it at night.

by Anonymousreply 6110/05/2013

I've snorkeled at the Great Barrier Reef. Had to wear a very light fabric full body suit (including head, hands, and feet) in case a jellyfish brushed you. Nasty venomous Australian jellyfish. Only your face was exposed, and most of that was covered by your mask. Shark and barracuda were swimming below us. Our guide dismissed them telling us "No worries, they're nocturnal. No interest in you right now." Don't know if I believed her, but it did help fight off my panic attack.

by Anonymousreply 6210/05/2013

The water's usually too cold on the West Coast, but I'll swim when I travel to warmer areas, like Hawaii or the Caribbean. The other extreme was the Red Sea off the coast of Saudi Arabia-- that was the only place I've swum where the water was too hot! (No, I'm not Goldilocks.)

by Anonymousreply 6310/06/2013

I had a friend who loved to swim in the ocean.

She died

by Anonymousreply 6410/06/2013

WOW most of your horror stories are what makes it a good day in the water for me. Coming up bloody and disoriented from being hit by a couple of big waves is my idea of a great time. I love fighting the big waves and undertow. It's a great feeling to overcome such forces of nature. I am in the water for hours every day during the summer and quite despondent during the winter months when I can't. I'm monitoring the surf forecast right now to see if it will be worth the drive to catch a few waves this afternoon.

[quote]The only way I'd do it is if Ciaran went with me in the water

Anytime, R39, I'm a certified lifeguard.

by Anonymousreply 6510/06/2013

The last time a shark bit me it ended up at Betty Ford.

by Anonymousreply 6610/06/2013

[quote]So if that's how you get free from an undertow, how do you get free from a rip current?

Same method.

by Anonymousreply 6710/06/2013

Ciaran, do you look anything like Sam Elliot? Also, tell us about your cock if you have a few minutes.

by Anonymousreply 6810/06/2013

The ocean's fine with me, NP at all. Made the mistake of rope-swinging into a lake at a family reunion years ago. Surfaced, and all I could feel was the below-water vegetation. Made my body feel all weird, it was like slimy fingers wrapping around me. Yuck!!! Freaked me out so much I vomited. What a horrible experience.

by Anonymousreply 6910/06/2013

Tis a thing of beauty, R68, but I do not look anything like Sam Elliot.

by Anonymousreply 7010/06/2013

Thanks, Ciaran!

by Anonymousreply 7110/06/2013
Need more help? Click Here.