Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

No thread on the President's speech? He did a great job slapping down Boehner and the Tea Party

Reuters) - President Barack Obama ridiculed House of Representatives Speaker John Boehner on Thursday for refusing to allow a vote on a funding bill that would end a three-day government shutdown, saying the top Republican in Washington is in the grip of conservative "extremists."

Obama called for a straight up-or-down vote on a funding bill that would permit the government to reopen, but said Boehner is intimidated by the most conservative members of the Republican caucus.

Enough Democrats and moderate Republicans would approve the legislation if it came to a vote, said Obama.

"The only thing that is preventing all that from happening right now, today, in the next five minutes, is that Speaker John Boehner won't even let the bill get a yes or no vote because he doesn't want to anger the extremists in his own party. That's all," the president said.

by Anonymousreply 11110/14/2013

It's been hard to keep up. President Obama has been speaking daily and doing a great job. Very strong words, fired up and absolutely clear on his position. No wimpy "let's be reasonable" entreaties that give the GOP laughing fits in private. Just 100% clear, unwavering statements of conviction and position. Because on this one, he has to stand firm for the protection of our system of government, not just for his agenda. And because on this one, he's wholly in the right, the GOP House is wholly in the wrong, and he knows it.

I'm thinking, FINALLY, this is the President to whose campaign I've donated $$.

This morning he spoke in Maryland, and pressed Boehner to have the courage to call a simple up/down vote on the Clean CR. Knowing Boehner's scared to do it.

by Anonymousreply 110/03/2013

R2=the kind of all or nothing type who is, in many ways, the flip side of the Tea Party coin.

Hon, no one's going to bother calling you.

by Anonymousreply 310/03/2013

Thanks for your post, r1. That's great to hear. I don't have TV, so it's hard to tell how the President is handling this publicly.

by Anonymousreply 410/03/2013

conservative members?? What he should have said is those so far to the right they are hanging off what they think is a flat earth.

by Anonymousreply 510/03/2013

People like R2 pouted and stayed home in 2010 and are partially responsible for the mess we're in now.

by Anonymousreply 610/03/2013

Fail, R7. I want a better league of Freeper Trolls in return for my hard-earned $18.

by Anonymousreply 810/03/2013

Boner sucks Tea Party cock, isn't that obvious?

by Anonymousreply 910/03/2013

No he does not r7.

I'm amazed at how outspoken, and right, he has been since this farce began. I only hear his speeches on Randi Rhodes' radio show. The corporate media does not really cover it much.

Another great speech about this debacle: Elizabeth Warren. Watch it at link.

by Anonymousreply 1010/03/2013

What's it taste like, Johnny-boy, lemon zinger or licorice root?

by Anonymousreply 1110/03/2013

Sorry.

Warren speech at link.

by Anonymousreply 1210/03/2013

That a handful of white rich religious fanatics have hijacked the entire nation is a spectacle that would be rejected in a Z novel or film script.

Republican economic policy = economic creationism

Republican morality = closeted hypocrisy deeper than the Marianas Trench

Republican reality = what's goes on under that big rock in your background

Republican _____ (fill in the blanks) =

by Anonymousreply 1310/03/2013

r14, you're right. I was on jury selection duty this morning and even the judge was alluding to it big time.

by Anonymousreply 1510/03/2013

He is not going to give in to those right wing assholes. He can't afford to, they LOST and have to accept that Obamacare is the law. He has no reason to "negotiate" a damn thing with any of those fools.

by Anonymousreply 1710/03/2013

r13 here. I meant "Republican reality = what's goes on under that big rock in your backyard." But I made a mistake of lifting the rock and r16 crawled out.

by Anonymousreply 1810/03/2013

I get sick and tired of Boehner "Bonehead" talking about what the American Prople want! It is quite evident what they want. 1) They re-elected The President. 2) They are signing up for Obamacare in droves. .. What are we?? Idiots???!! In the words of the old negro spiritual, I advise Obama to "keep your hands on the plough. Hold on!!!"

by Anonymousreply 1910/03/2013

R4, they played his whole speech live on npr while I was driving to work, so I was able to hear the whole thing.

He had very strong words, explained the situation very well, called out the tea party for being obssessed with Obamacare, said they and Boehner were holding a gun to the American people's heads, and he used a lot of metaphors to illustrate his points. He really did call out the tea partiers and their idiocy.

He also talked about the coming debt ceiling fight.

by Anonymousreply 2010/03/2013

R16 .. Your mama's the turd. We can smell her from here!!

by Anonymousreply 2110/03/2013

The Republicans have a majority in the House through gerrymandering. They collectively got fewer votes than the Democratic minority...in an off year where Democrats generally do worse than in a Presidential year.

by Anonymousreply 2310/03/2013

If that is true we will see a course correct in the next election. Should be interesting to see what happens. Both sides are on a razor thin edge and have tons to lose.

by Anonymousreply 2410/03/2013

I was born during Truman's presidency & Obama is the first Pres I've actually liked.

Truman was OK but a party machine man. Ike was OK but not as good as Adlai Stevenson would have been. JFK was OK but not impressive. Carter was OK but too religious for comfort. Clinton was OK but couldn't be trusted. The rest were various degrees of horrible/terrifying.

I don't agree with Obama about everything but I do understand the approach he takes & I think he's right more often than not. He's more than just OK & I appreciate that every day.

by Anonymousreply 2510/03/2013

And R22, like it or not, they are the lower house of Congress and the Senate and White House are controlled by Dems and...

like it or not, Obamacare already passed the House, the Senate, it was signed by the Pres and approved by the Supreme Court and the country re-elected the president after the law was passed.

Obamacare is over and done with.

These morons need to move it along. It's extortion plain and simple.

by Anonymousreply 2610/03/2013

R26, there is another hurdle. The Supreme Court cannot rule on a tax, or fine, that has yet to be levied. There is a very likely chance this could all go to the court again once the IRS implements the fines for non compliance. Depending on the appetite of the country, we could see this go right back up through the judicial system again.

by Anonymousreply 2710/03/2013

Link, please, r27.

by Anonymousreply 2810/03/2013

R2 is exactly right.

Until Obama got elected I never realized how many Democrats were exactly like Republicans when it comes to defending their party no matter what it does.

by Anonymousreply 2910/03/2013

Two things: what are the House Republicans asking Obama for?

Second, what happens if they never agree to restart the government?

by Anonymousreply 3010/03/2013

R28, that isn't from a link, that is from education and work experience. I would be happy to recommend schools, curriculum, and legal precedent you would like, although it isn't free.

by Anonymousreply 3110/03/2013

I would like proof that the Supremes cant rule on a tax that has yet to be levied since that is exactly what they ruled on with the Obamacare case.

So I'd like some proof.

by Anonymousreply 3210/03/2013

R32, read the entire ruling, not the blurbs from the news. It is stated plain as fucking day.

by Anonymousreply 3310/03/2013

Then it should be very easy to find and post.

by Anonymousreply 3510/03/2013

R35, yes it should. I have read it. Your turn.

by Anonymousreply 3610/03/2013

And yet I cant find it. Hmmm. You must be full of shit.

by Anonymousreply 3710/03/2013

[quote]California's 5 million hits actually turned out to be 600,000 and NOBODY signed up.

Yes, we know that Obama is responsible for Covered California's web portal. Little known fact: When he was at Harvard Law, he took IT management and web design classes at night school.

by Anonymousreply 3810/03/2013

So is it good or bad that no one has signed up for Obamacare?

by Anonymousreply 3910/03/2013

Disgusting that there are asshole right wingers on DL.

by Anonymousreply 4110/03/2013

I've signed up, but not decided on which plan to go for. I need to compare side by side, my current plan vs the ACA plans. At glance, it looks like I can save about 50% from what I am paying now. I won't get any subsidy, though.

by Anonymousreply 4210/03/2013

[quote]At glance, it looks like I can save about 50% from what I am paying now. I won't get any subsidy, though.

This is something people don't quite comprehend yet. The transparency of the marketplace will drive competition and better prices. Isn't that what free market economies are supposed to be based on? Prior to this, it was very difficult to determine and compare plan prices across competitiors.

Even if you don't qualify for a subsidy, the only things that determine plan costs are household size, age, and region (with more populous regions offering lower prices). Also, the fact that pre-existing condition penalties are illegal makes a huge difference in price.

by Anonymousreply 4410/03/2013

Some of the posters in this thread have been watching too much Faux News. Go away and back where your sorry little asses belong.

by Anonymousreply 4510/03/2013

I continue to trust Mr. Obama in a way I have never trusted a president. Despite his willingness - and need - to play politics, he has not undermined his essential integrity or compromised his pragmatic vision of what it now takes to navigate this nation in a manner that protects the union.

The disloyal opposition is willing to destroy the necessary traditions of comity and hold the country hostage in the name of their bizarre, disordered, inauthentic and dangerous policies. The president has shown a willingness over and over to respect the near-parity between the parties in support, and has compromised. Enough is enough.

Mr. Obama has, since his first day in office, kept his eyes focused on the long view. The hysterical claptrap of name-calling - the same nonsense heard before the last election - simply is an attempt to outshout the right. Further polarization is not good for us or the nation. But in this case, and others to come, the president knows when further bending is impossible.

I trust his grounding and his decisions. His mistakes have been honest ones, and he has learned from them. Stop tearing him down for not playing with the same schismatic dynamite the Tea Party has used to extort their know-nothing will from us.

by Anonymousreply 4610/03/2013

"California's 5 million hits actually turned out to be 600,000 and NOBODY signed up."

Yeah, that's not true.

by Anonymousreply 4710/03/2013

R43 will be the one melting down. Stupid freeper.

by Anonymousreply 4810/03/2013

Hilarious, r49. Any old source that says anything like what you claim would be great.

Otherwise you are just another asshole on the internet pretending to be something that you aren't.

by Anonymousreply 5010/03/2013

So, what you are linking to is an opinion from someone at the New American, not a legal decision by the Supreme Court.

In fact, it nowhere in the article says anything like "The Supreme Court cannot rule on a tax, or fine, that has yet to be levied."

So I was right and you are just another asshole on the internet pretending to be something that you aren't.

by Anonymousreply 5310/03/2013

r52, on that John Birch Society website, it has this comment, typical of Repub mentality:

"The problem is that as wonderful a document as the Constitution is, there are some vague terms like "general welfare" that will continue to be interpreted in ways never imagined by the Founders."

That's why the Founding Fathers used the phrase "general welfare"--they couldn't predict the future. Duh!

"General welfare" for a Republican means spending 40% of the Federal budget on "defense" and nothing on health care for anybody. They're now trying to grab the better part of the other 60%. It won't happen, but greed has deluded these creatures as to their imagined omnipotence.

by Anonymousreply 5410/03/2013

[quote]Republican economic policy = economic creationism

R13, I love you!

by Anonymousreply 5510/03/2013

Yeah...you're done, r56.

by Anonymousreply 5710/03/2013

Right, r57. Well, not really.

by Anonymousreply 5810/03/2013

That's one thing I really like about Obama, R46 -- I trust him. For the first time in almost 70 years' experience with American politics, the Pres seems trustworthy. Seems little enough to ask -- sad commentary about the past, but a worthy legacy for him.

I voted for Hillary Clinton in the 2008 primaries, & I still wish she'd been elected then. I thought that she was tough enough for a job that easily could have been a one-term Pres (then let Obama take it for the next two terms). But I've never trusted her & I still don't. It's such a pleasure to have a Pres that I can trust -- first time ever in my long life.

by Anonymousreply 5910/03/2013

R59. Hey pin head Pepper

by Anonymousreply 6010/03/2013

Wow, the Freepers are here like locusts! Basically, it's the same fool lording his knowledge of what Right wing websites assert without facts!

What a damaged soul.

by Anonymousreply 6110/03/2013

I'm with R2. Obama is still not a true Democrat like FDR or LBJ. Obama would still slit his throat before he'd stand up for the poor. He's not standing up for the poor disabled who live on less than 7 grand a year or for those on food stamps who are getting a big cut starting next month thanks to 28 Senate Democrats who voted for the cut. He doesn't stand with workers or with unions. When's the last time Obama mentioned minimum wage?

The only reason he has grown a pair about the ACA is because it's his and a huge gift to the insurance companies and big Pharma. I will bet you that Obama will never leave office without cutting Social Security. He wants that SS money for his rich friends as much as the GOP does. Obama still kisses WS ass and still not one fucking WS or bank thief has been punished.

In addition the only reason the GOP and Tea Party is doing this hostage thing is that Obama trained them that he will always cave and give them what they want. If he had not caved over and over and over again they would never have done this. They had him pegged for no spine and when it will come to anything other than the ACA he will go right back to caving.

When there is a decent Democrat in the WH those living in extreme poverty doesn't keep growing. It only grows when a Republican is in charge. What does that tell you!

by Anonymousreply 6310/03/2013

I'm the one who agrees with R2 and I have never missed voting in an election in my live since I started voting for the first time for Jimmy Carter. I voted in 2010. I voted Dem as always for all the good it did. Obama fucking up those first 2 years, now 5 years, helped make Dems stay home. Don't blame people like R2.

by Anonymousreply 6410/03/2013

Hey r2, maybe Ted Cruz or Chris Christie will fight for those issues in 2016, huh?

by Anonymousreply 6510/03/2013

This pissing contest means nothing until federal employees are working again.

by Anonymousreply 6610/03/2013

R63, you nailed it.

Anybody who trusts Obama - on anything - needs to wake up. He gives a good speech and that's about it. His actions speak louder than words - his administration is stocked with people beholden to Wall St. and big pharma.

by Anonymousreply 6810/03/2013

You stinking sack of shit, R67 and all the rest of your posts. You have no idea what I do every day and how hard I and my coworkers, the clerical staff and others work in my agency.

You are a sniveling, worthless piece of garbage and have no idea of the plight of the people who rely on us to get back on their feet. You think only of yourself, you vile syphilitic sore, and you clearly need some serious adversity in your life to provide you with a reality check. With any luck at all, some family member will get hold of one of your guns and create the kind of accident for which you are so worthy.

by Anonymousreply 6910/03/2013

R67 = cunty cunt freeper

by Anonymousreply 7010/03/2013

I'm curious where are these mythical politicians people keep expecting. As Presidents go Obama isn't bad at all, go through a history lesson if you really don't remember all the corporate ass kissing that happened in the Clinton administration.

It is politics, you pick the lesser of two evils, this isn't news.

by Anonymousreply 7110/03/2013

So R67, exactly why do you wish to further punish people who already aren't as well off as you?

Sadist much?

by Anonymousreply 7210/03/2013

[quote]You can't help but notice their exists an excess of people, departments, etc in the federal government. People will be vocal about what really matters to them as the "shutdown" goes on.

care to elaborate? you phrase this in mythic terms, "the people said. . . ". care to be a tad more specific?

by Anonymousreply 7310/03/2013

r67 is a persistant moron

by Anonymousreply 7410/04/2013

Maybe R75 can breathe for long enough to get oxygen to his brain to explain his non sequitur.

by Anonymousreply 7610/04/2013

Rand Paul is SHOCKED that the Democrats are being HONEST while the Republicans need to 'test' their message before they speak up.

by Anonymousreply 7710/04/2013

Yeah, I'm sure those people posting on FB were real people with real stories, not sockpuppet shitstains.

by Anonymousreply 8110/04/2013

My rate on the ACa is 1/2 what I'm paying currently.

by Anonymousreply 8210/04/2013

You still aren't taking in enough oxygen R78-80. Contextless non sequiturs won't get you anywhere. Your feet may not get you anywhere either if you don't start using your breathing apparatus soon.

by Anonymousreply 8410/04/2013

[quote]I'm with [R2]. Obama is still not a true Democrat like FDR or LBJ. Obama would still slit his throat before he'd stand up for the poor. He's not standing up for the poor disabled who live on less than 7 grand a year or for those on food stamps who are getting a big cut starting next month thanks to 28 Senate Democrats who voted for the cut. He doesn't stand with workers or with unions. When's the last time Obama mentioned minimum wage?

Blah, blah, blah. Shut the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 8510/04/2013

[quote]I'm the one who agrees with [[R2]] and I have never missed voting in an election in my live since I started voting for the first time for Jimmy Carter. I voted in 2010. I voted Dem as always for all the good it did. Obama fucking up those first 2 years, now 5 years, helped make Dems stay home. Don't blame people like R2.

That's why Obama won by a huge percentage last year. Get lost, dope.

by Anonymousreply 8610/04/2013

The hilarious troll on the last couple of pages here is quite the desperate tool. Silly cunt.

by Anonymousreply 8810/04/2013

r87, provide links that support all of these accusations. I'll wait.

If not a lot of people are signing up, then why do Republicans give a fuck when it comes to funding? It's obviously not going to demand much.

by Anonymousreply 8910/04/2013

I'm not sure why the dope on this thread expects a massive web-based infrastructure to work swimmingly immediately. No glitches whatsoever? I'll ask him to refer to the massive failure of his darling's get out the vote web-based program and data base (ORCA) that went down like a lead balloon on election day. (check out the Red States story and comments about it.)

Also, remember all of the confusion about enrolling in Medicare Part D not so long ago? That was resolved and elderly consumers LOVE it.

I'm so glad the other side is populated by lazy non-thinkers like R87 et al.

by Anonymousreply 9010/04/2013

This complaint about the ACA websites is nuts.

What is wrong with a 1% adoption rate within the first three days of launching a program? The open enrollment period ends March 31, 2014.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has rolled out a program with websites half as big as the ACA without a hitch in the first month.

by Anonymousreply 9310/04/2013

Did anyone see the Rachel Maddow thing about the guy who leads the House in prayer in the mornings?

'LET US PRAY'

'God, strike down these jackasses who are tempting me so sinfully to want to shove my big boot up their asses.'

by Anonymousreply 9410/04/2013

Yeah the President has that whole talking thing down pretty well.

Leadership and follow-through? Not so much

by Anonymousreply 9510/04/2013

And what, precisely, do you expect him to do, R95?

by Anonymousreply 9610/06/2013

[quote]Obamacare is a piece of SHIT.

And yet, somehow, you aren't able to think of a single actual concrete thing that's wrong with it. Why is that?

[quote]And more and more people are waking up to that every day.

Actually, the more people know about the ACA, the more they like it. Next?

by Anonymousreply 9710/06/2013

HA!

Both the NYT and the Washington Post had weekend articles about the absolute failure of the Obamacare rollout.

Said 400 million plus(some say it's closer to 600) was spent on the obamacare health exchange computer program and that it has MAJOR systemic problems, not "simple glitches."

Also said it was extremely revealing that the Obama administration absolutely refuses to reveal how many people have actually signed up. They know the numbers are pathetic.

Now CNN has been showing a news scroll all day that says.... hey, you can also sign up by phone or mail. LMAO!!

by Anonymousreply 9910/14/2013

2 weeks later, CNN reporter still can't sign up for Obamacare.

by Anonymousreply 10010/14/2013

So the only thing the trolls have left is program glitches and not the actual content of the act. Oh wait, they never cared about that anyway.

by Anonymousreply 10110/14/2013

Hey, R102...yeah you, fuckwit!

What do they teach you in sockpuppet school?! You can't just post shit like that in a thread cold - you've gotta establish your fake persona a little bit first. Using a "clean" identity for your post back there was a rookie move.

Do you think anyone here would really believe that "you" (whoever you are now) has just decided to join this discussion (with such a lame comment too, I might add)?

by Anonymousreply 10310/14/2013

Former Obama aide, Robert Gibbs....

Obamacare rollout excructiatingly embarrassing. Heads should roll!

by Anonymousreply 10410/14/2013

all sides need to be heard

by Anonymousreply 10710/14/2013

Don't forget to sign up by mail.

by Anonymousreply 10810/14/2013

Call me. PLEASE CALL.

Next comes begging.

by Anonymousreply 10910/14/2013

Obamacare enrollees become urban legend.

by Anonymousreply 11010/14/2013

Erza Klein.... Thus far, Obamacare a "big failure."

by Anonymousreply 11110/14/2013
Need more help? Click Here.