Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

BREAKING NEWS: Grindr is ALL-NEW and IMPROVED!

Tribes: all the better to deliver targeted advertising to manwhores!

"Boys who prefer kissing other boys will be glad to know that Grindr, the location-based hookup app focused on gay men, has today released a huge update with a handful of new features and a brand new look and feel, including an all-new logo.

To date, Grindr has over 7 million downloads worldwide, with over one billion chat messages sent each month and 1 billion photos sent every two months.

This is up from 4 million downloads in June of 2012, with 1 million daily uniques, though founder Joel Simkhai clarifies that between 2.5 and 3 million of those downloads are monthly active users. In terms of conversion rates, Simkhai merely states that “a good percentage” of users upgrade to the Grindr Xtra subscription model, and reminds that Grindr has made its way into the top 15 highest grossing apps in the past five years, number one in social.

“When I look at most of the top 20 highest grossing apps they don’t seem sustainable,” said Simkhai. “They’re mostly games. The fact that we’re there is a testament to what we’ve become to gay men, a basic utility.”

In terms of revenue, 75 percent of Grindr’s income comes from Grindr Xtra, and the other 25 percent comes from Grindr’s advertising business, which is split evenly between ad network-powered ads and in-house ads sold by the sales team.

As a long-time and regular user, Simkhai felt that a huge revamp was in order for the five-year old app, which has remained mostly unchanged over the course of its life.

The update brings with it a number of changes, most notably the introduction of Tribes (a way to categorize yourself beyond just gay). These let users self-identify with various tribes (which include Bear, Clean-cut, Daddy, Discreet, Geek, Jock, Leather, Otter, Poz, Rugged, Trans and Twink).

Grindr is using this form of identity expression to make money. Free Grindr users can only identify with one tribe, whereas Grindr Xtra members can choose up to three.

After years of being able to get away with just giving the user access to gay guys nearby, Simkhai has expressed that users are looking for something more specific than just gay. “Now there are so many guys, people would rather spend their time finding what they’re really looking for,” said Simkhai.

According to the founder, Tribes are more about increasing speed and optimization of the app as a tool rather than facing competition from niche-based apps like Scruff and Recon."

by Anonymousreply 3410/07/2013

[quote]"Boys who prefer kissing other boys...

Kissing?

I must be using it wrong.

by Anonymousreply 110/03/2013

Breaking news? Seriously?

by Anonymousreply 210/03/2013

Don't like the either or display. Prefered when you could list your favorites and guys online close to you.

by Anonymousreply 310/03/2013

I read that as ALL-JEW and IMPROVED!

(I'm not anti-semitic, in fact I was kind of excited by the prospect)

by Anonymousreply 410/03/2013

Is everybody on Grindr photo worthy? Is it possible for a nobody to hook up?

by Anonymousreply 510/03/2013

Most of the fizzogs I see on Grindr belong on radio.

by Anonymousreply 610/04/2013

"BREAKING."

Right.

by Anonymousreply 710/04/2013

Grindr: making gay men socially more awkward with each passing day

by Anonymousreply 810/04/2013

4 million users? The a hell of a lot of "bottoms" searching for a "top".

by Anonymousreply 1010/04/2013

I dropped Grindr and made shifted to Scruff a couple of months ago and haven't regretted it since. Scruff is so much more user friendly.

by Anonymousreply 1110/04/2013

[quote] Is it possible for a nobody to hook up?

No, only for megastars. Soz.

by Anonymousreply 1210/04/2013

All-new and improved? Did they get rid of everybody who was on it before?

by Anonymousreply 1310/04/2013

Yippee

by Anonymousreply 1410/04/2013

it's actually pretty good!

by Anonymousreply 1510/04/2013

Call me crazy, but I am seriously freaked out by the way this app has completely taken over gay culture in the past 5 years.

I'm only 31, but I can remember a time when people were actually talking and engaging with each other in hopes of dating or even just a one nighter. Now, everybody in the gay bars are on this damn thing, thinking they're being discreet but really being super obvious.

It makes people completely socially awkward, and guys just don't know how to flirt or do whatever anymore because they're so afraid of rejection in real life, whereas "rejection" on grindr is either an offensive display of "preference" or simply not responding at all.

I think the flirting and the "dance" of hooking up is so much more interesting than trading cock and hole photos with some rando you don't even know.

Or maybe I'm just crazy and old. I truly do hate this app with a passion and I refuse to be a part of it.

by Anonymousreply 1610/04/2013

Grindr is a piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 1710/04/2013

R16, you read my mind.

At least you might be past the Grindr shitfest - your peers are still socially capable. I'm ten years younger than you and it's horrifying at how boys my age treat each other like goods.

It's all "cock pics?", "body shot?", "ass?" or some variant of that (usually, "more pics?"). It's weird; I like to think of myself as a person, not a horse on sale and that's what I feel like on Grindr: a commodity.

Furthermore, I don't even understand the mindset behind it; I need to see someone in person before I want to press my body against theirs. How do I know if they don't have pervasive body odour from a cock shot? What clues me in on how they will move in bed, if we will have sexual chemistry?

Grindr has basically turned us into living, breathing sex toys in the most unsexy sense. We're not even a god damn blow up doll, all we are is a dildo/fleshlight.

by Anonymousreply 1810/04/2013

[quote]No more fats or fems.

Don't forget blacks and Asians!

by Anonymousreply 1910/04/2013

[quote]I feel like utter crap because I am not bad-looking. I don't think am, and from what I have heard from other men, I am not, either.

It's so frustrating, isn' t it?

by Anonymousreply 2310/04/2013

Eh... Indian is Asian.

by Anonymousreply 2410/04/2013

PS. Just to add: I am not arrogant to demand everyone should be attracted to me. I mean dating and fucking should be about who you want to be with and not an issue of you -must-love/fuck-everyone.

It's just very rude the way Asians do it. For a while, my Grindr picture was the lower half of my face. This muscular hot, gym rat messaged me, "Do you have a face to go along with that perfect profile and those perfect lips?"

I replied cheekily, "Perhaps you won't find it as perfect ;)" and sent him a photo upon which he said, "It's absolutely perfect, just not my type."

This was slightly hurtful and I think I sent something along the lines of, "I don't think I am very many people's type!" and he sent back, "Well maybe your type isn't in this city" and we spoke some more. He is right of course; I live in the heart of ConservativeVille where The Cowboy is the metric of sexy.

Overall it was a good conversation, and when I think back, I really appreciated his blunt, but not unkind sincerity.

by Anonymousreply 2510/04/2013

R24, where I live now, Asian = East Asian (or gasp, "Oriental").

Where I come from (the UK) Asian = Indians, Pakistanis, Sri Lankans and Orientals = East Asians.

by Anonymousreply 2610/04/2013

Therein lies the tragic flaw of Grindr, R25. If you had approached him in real life, would he have been as blunt and dismissive to your face without the veil of online semi-anonymity?

by Anonymousreply 2710/04/2013

No, in the UK East Asians are "Chinese".

by Anonymousreply 2910/04/2013

Really, R28? Guess times have changed.

by Anonymousreply 3010/04/2013

Don't forget that young gays also have gay youth groups. I have friend who works in that area. And some of the kids travel for upwards of two hours each way to take part in the group.

by Anonymousreply 3210/04/2013

r31, that's the saddest of all. I feel for these kids. I truly do wish that gay people weren't so fucking EVIL to each other. No other minority group is as truly disrespectful towards one another than we are. It all boils down to the fact that, in gay world, if someone doesn't want to fuck you they don't want anything to do with you. It's a twisted way to live, and apps like Grindr don't make that any better.

by Anonymousreply 3310/07/2013

And r22, just forget about the Asians. If you're not white, don't bother.

by Anonymousreply 3410/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.