Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Straight Guys and Sports Revisited

I recently joined a gym with a lot of post-college/frat-type douches. Yes, the eye candy is amazing (giggles), but their conversations, almost exclusively about sports, are enough to drive this gay guy insane. They talk about these sports players as if they know them personally, and you'd think they had some sort of emotional stake in how a player or team performs.

Let me say that I basically know what makes straight guys tick. I understand straight men. I'm a pretty traditional guy myself. I recognize the competitiveness when it comes to careers and women as driving forces. These are universal forces for guys, straight or gay (of course, with gay guys competing for the hottest guys), but the sports thing totally alludes me.

by Perplexed Gay Guyreply 4010/31/2013

by Perplexed Gay Guyreply 110/03/2013

It's not even a straight guy thing its a sports thing. My best friend is a straight female who grew up in a sports town and she will go on and on about baseball and football like no one else. I mean, I love sports too but jeez, not so much that I remember everyone and their father who's ever played in the last 30 years.

by Perplexed Gay Guyreply 310/03/2013

by Perplexed Gay Guyreply 410/03/2013

[quote]I recognize the competitiveness when it comes to careers and women as driving forces. These are universal forces for guys, straight or gay (of course, with gay guys competing for the hottest guys), but the sports thing totally alludes me.

You're not too bright, are you? I like that in an OP.

by Perplexed Gay Guyreply 510/03/2013

Living vicariously through their sports heroes. That's all it is.

And it's the way straight guys "bond" with each other. It's their little "club" where they can slap each other on the back without anyone thinking they're "gay".

by Perplexed Gay Guyreply 610/03/2013

This is where I stopped reading.

by Perplexed Gay Guyreply 710/03/2013

There was a documentary I saw somewhere I don't recall right now that explained that men enjoy watching sports more than women because men's brains function differently, and respond favourably to strategy-based challenges.

There was no mention of gay men or women in the documentary, though.

by Perplexed Gay Guyreply 910/03/2013

OP would apparently be more in his element if his fellow gym patrons were discussing Cher or Britney Spears as though they were acquainted with them personally.

by Perplexed Gay Guyreply 1010/03/2013

Lovely sentence, R11. Diagram it for us?

by Perplexed Gay Guyreply 1210/03/2013

[quote]Yes, the eye candy is amazing (giggles)...

by Perplexed Gay Guyreply 1610/03/2013

r16, Where can you even find a pencil anymore?

by Perplexed Gay Guyreply 1710/03/2013

[quote]Yes, please do us all favor, [R16], and plunge those pencils deep in.

Whatever you say, R18 / OP. :::giggles:::

by Perplexed Gay Guyreply 1910/03/2013

They can't talk about much else. Maybe money or gadgets.

I find the flat personality of the straight man unnerving. I really can't be around it because it depresses me.

by Perplexed Gay Guyreply 2110/03/2013

R20 is spot on. The problem is, it's hard to try and fake it if you're not really into it. You can watch a few games, but unless you know every guy on the team, their coaches, and their recruiting history, you'll be lost within 5 minutes of conversation.

by Perplexed Gay Guyreply 2410/03/2013

Giggles? LOL. I picture OP wearing a spandex caftan.

by Perplexed Gay Guyreply 2610/03/2013

The fanaticism of sports is completely lost on me. When I encounter a fanatic I usually just brush them off as an idiot.

by Perplexed Gay Guyreply 3410/04/2013

OP likes being a stereotypical old world gay who is half-female. Most gay and bi guys are not like that, and like their straight bros, love sports. OP, it's okay that you don't like sports, but don't try to defame other gay/bi dudes as having your same propensity, dude.

by Perplexed Gay Guyreply 3610/06/2013

I just an awkward meeting at work that reminded me of this thread. I work with a lot of women, and the bulk of the meetings I attend overwhelmingly contain women. However, I had to attend one this afternoon that primarily included men. Right on cue, the three of them in attendance started discussing sports, baseball, the upcoming football game. Like many gay guys, I know absolutely nothing about sports. I sat there totally self-conscious, not being able to contribute anything to the conversation. They didn't even try to include me in the conversation, as if they knew what they were discussing would be foreign to me. I felt naked and exposed, and it was very uncomfortable. Thank goodness one of the more aggressive female attendees cut their conversation short so that we could get down to business. I don't understand straight's always about THE GAME. So stupid.

by Perplexed Gay Guyreply 3710/31/2013

"Giggles" made me straight.

by Perplexed Gay Guyreply 3810/31/2013

It's true that gay men are not as sports obsessed as straights, but then again I never encounter gay men discussing typically girly subjects either.

I overheard two women at the office (in their forties) discussing shoes for what must have been an hour. They were passionately and excitedly discussing shoes and nothing else. I don't think even the most feminine of gay men could pull off such a feat, so the gay=girly equation is not correct in my opinion.

Older straight guys are different though, they prefer discussing politics or social issues (most of my colleagues are middle-aged straight men).

by Perplexed Gay Guyreply 3910/31/2013

R27&29, Whores! This is not a lesbian hookup site. If I can't find someone, neither can the both of you. Take that elsewhere. Stat!

by Perplexed Gay Guyreply 4010/31/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!