Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Other Sister (1999)

On now...

I forgot how cringe inducing this film truly is.

Juliette Lewis portraying a mongoloid.

Not much of a stretch if you ask me.

Young Sarah Paulson as a dyke.

by Anonymousreply 2110/05/2013

I saw that in the listings too, and cringed remembering that I actually went to see this in the theater! Even by Garry Marshall's low-brow standards, but it was particularly bad. Seemed to kill Juliet Lewis' career too, with her unbearably screechy performance. Lewis probably saw it as her chance to cash-in, but she should've known to stay away no matter what they were offering.

by Anonymousreply 110/03/2013

Seriously, who thought making a film about intellectually disabled people having sex was a good idea?

I could see Waters or Solondz having fun with it, but Garry fucking Marshall?

Most unintentionally funny scene has to be when Daniel is drunk and hector Elizondo is trying to get the wine bottle away from him. Elizondo actually throws something in the other direction to distract Daniel so that he can grab the you would do to a cat.

by Anonymousreply 210/03/2013

by Anonymousreply 310/03/2013

LOL@ R3. It took me some time to figure it out, but well worth the effort.

by Anonymousreply 410/03/2013

You'd have to have a differently abled, mentally challenged girl in your family to appreciate how perceptive and incisive the screenplay was on the topic.

by Anonymousreply 510/03/2013

This was a horrid film. Cringe inducing is apt. I don't like Lewis as an actress, and this is her "acting" at it's worst. Run away from this flapping hands.

by Anonymousreply 610/03/2013

Is this the one with Diane Keaton? Killed her career, too.

by Anonymousreply 710/03/2013

Yes, R7. Diane played Juliette's mother.

by Anonymousreply 810/03/2013

The confrontation between Lewis and Keaton was electric and should've nabbed Oscar nods for both.

by Anonymousreply 910/03/2013

They should do a remake, but a loose comedy. Like 21 Jump Street.

by Anonymousreply 1010/03/2013

This film is a cringe fest but I like Juliette overall. She's done a lot of good stuff. Ribisi not so much.

For portrayal of mental illness/disability I found Benny And Joon way worse.

by Anonymousreply 1110/03/2013

At R11, Sean Penn's performance in "I am Sam" is another one that I find deeply annoying & self-seeking.

I know this will NEVER happen, but I wish Hollywood would cast real mentally disabled actors in these movies instead of non-disabled actors trying to win Oscars.

Actual impaired actors are capable of giving a good performance. Look at the guy who played Corky (sp?) in "Life Goes On".

by Anonymousreply 1210/03/2013

I used to love Diane Keaton but geez, she really gave up and resigned herself to mommy roles starting with Baby Boom back in 1987, I think, and hasn't done a single interesting thing since. Oh well, guess she had to pay for all that west LA real estate flipping.

Anyhow a couple of Scientologists like Lewis and Ribisi playing at retard isn't so much of a stretch.

by Anonymousreply 1310/04/2013

Joe Flanigan looked cute as the brother-in-law, though.

by Anonymousreply 1410/04/2013

Lewis' performance made my role in "Riding the Bus with My Sister" look like a classic.

by Anonymousreply 1510/04/2013

What was the film where Shaun Cassidy and Linda Purl were given high on the forehead bangs to portray a retarded couple?

by Anonymousreply 1610/04/2013

[quote]Is this the one with Diane Keaton? Killed her career, too.

Please. Four years later...

by Anonymousreply 1710/04/2013

"Actual impaired actors are capable of giving a good performance. Look at the guy who played Corky (sp?) in 'Life Goes On.'"

Total asshole retard.

by Anonymousreply 1810/04/2013

R16 No Other Love? Or was that the made for TV movie with Richard Thomas and Julie Kavner? That aired around the same time as the Purl/Cassidy movie. Anyway, of the four of them I think Shaun Cassidy pulled off playing mentally disabled the best but he's got kind of a downs syndromy look to begin with. So that gave him an edge.

by Anonymousreply 1910/05/2013

i must get too serious when i get here, like with the wine ive just had, but cmon it was a beautiful movie, im guessing you all live in gentrified towns, where mental illness doesn't exist. Go watch Steel Magnolia's again boys, where there is no place for a homo in that group

by Anonymousreply 2010/05/2013

R20, hell, I have "mental illness" and my family have a history of it. It was simply an awful film.

by Anonymousreply 2110/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!