Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Pope Francis stirs debate yet again with interview with an atheist Italian journalist

Summary of what he said:

In the past, heads of the church "have often been narcissists, flattered and thrilled by their courtiers. The court is the leprosy of the papacy," he said.

In his youth, he was influenced by a university professor "who was a fervent communist."

The pope seemed to draw a line between church and state, saying: "politics is the most important of the civil activities and has its own field of action, which is not that of religion. Political institutions are secular by definition and operate in independent spheres."

Each person “must choose to follow the good and fight evil as he conceives them” and calling efforts to convert people to Christianity “solemn nonsense.”

by Anonymousreply 4310/13/2013

[quote]The court is the leprosy of the papacy

This guy has to be the greatest Pope in history.

by Anonymousreply 110/02/2013

I really like this guy.

by Anonymousreply 210/02/2013

I too am starting to be fond of him.

by Anonymousreply 310/02/2013

"Pope Francis Excommunicates Australian Priest Who Advocated For Gay Marriage And Female Clergy"

On the heels of Pope Francis' groundbreaking remarks faulting the Roman Catholic Church for being overly focused on homosexuality and abortion, news has emerged that the pontiff ordered the excommunication of a priest who advocated for women's rights and gay marriage.

Melbourne-based news site The Age reports that Australian priest Greg Reynolds received a letter last week from Pope Francis, informing him that he had been excommunicated. The order means Reynolds is officially prohibited from participation in the sacraments and services of the Catholic Church.

The letter, written in Latin, did not give a reason for the decision; however, the Archdiocese of Melbourne -- the district which oversaw the three churches where Reynolds preached -- told the Australian Associated Press that Reynolds had been shut out because he was publicizing his views that women should be ordained as priests. The Archdiocese also said Reynolds was removed for holding unauthorized communion ceremonies.

The Age reports that the order to excommunicate Reynolds was made in response to a secret denunciation to the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, an ecclesiastical body originally founded in the 16th century to defend the church from heresy.

Reynolds had resigned as a priest from Western Port parish in 2011, at which time his priestly privileges were nullified, The Age reported last year.

His 32 years of official priesthood behind him, Reynolds began operating an informal church in Melbourne in 2012. Called the Inclusive Catholics, the organization accepts homosexuality and allows women to help lead services.

The Vatican could not be reached for comment.

by Anonymousreply 410/02/2013

[quote]Summary of what he said

Right there, there's a problem.

by Anonymousreply 510/02/2013

holy. crap.

by Anonymousreply 610/02/2013

People, this is all smoke and mirrors. Nothing has changed. Read R4. He's practicing Catholicism's 8 sacrament: hypocrisy.

by Anonymousreply 710/02/2013

Actions speak louder than words.

by Anonymousreply 810/02/2013

Pope Benedict resigns and a liberal takes his place, even though all of the Cardinals were appointed by JP II and Benedict. There is one hell of an untold story lurking here.

by Anonymousreply 910/02/2013

R4 I'm not exscusing what the Vatican did but I really doubt it was a decision personally by him.

The Pope should be commended. He could not have come at a better time.

by Anonymousreply 1010/02/2013

I think he's trying to walk a very fine line.

Obviously the church doctrine still stands until it's revised, but he's obviously taking small steps to move in a different direction.

Even in that article, other Catholic leaders were up in arms about the statements. I think it's commendable that he's at least putting these ideas out there.

The Pope is pretty much in the same position as the president, for example. He may believe certain things, but he's got different factions and populations, and other leaders and bureaucracy that he has to deal with.

So, no R8, anyone expecting him to suddenly and single handedly declare gay marriage acceptable or give the okay to women priests, is crazy. That's something that he can't do, probably even if he wanted to.

by Anonymousreply 1110/02/2013

R11, he may not be able to change doctrine overnight but he most likely could stop excommunicating people for espousing what he says he's okay with.

by Anonymousreply 1210/02/2013

[all posts by racist flame bait troll removed, ISP notified with full text of all posts.]

by Anonymousreply 1310/02/2013

Waiting for the other shoe to drop...

by Anonymousreply 1410/02/2013

[all posts by racist flame bait troll removed, ISP notified with full text of all posts.]

by Anonymousreply 1510/02/2013

R13 is a parody, right?

Because calling any pope a famewhore is like calling the moon a satellite.

He's doing what a good Jesuit does. He's performing proselytizing 101, with an eye on finally cutting up the bastards who went after the Jesuits during J2P2's reign. First you tell the people how love runs the show and good intentions are important, all the while cleaning up the Vatican in a massive purge. Make that "cleaning up" because it's just a matter of tone and policy change. Then, after people think he's okay (which he largely is), he'll start back on the whackiness.

And he's experiencing splash-back. The fiendishly insane Raymond Burke, right after the pope's first interview, declared Pelosi unworthy of communion. The timing told it all.

He's moving fast because of his age and his knowledge of how popes tend to get webbed up by the curia, and lose the capacity for action. By remaining in the hotel, keeping his contacts with the lowly priests there, and making his own calls and appointments (to an extent), he's dodging the ones who would love to serve him their special tea.

by Anonymousreply 1610/02/2013

[quote] but something happened to bring this guy to power.

God's will?

by Anonymousreply 1710/02/2013

by Anonymousreply 1810/02/2013

When will he start vicious face-slappings?

by Anonymousreply 1910/02/2013

[quote]Peter the Roman, who will pasture his sheep in many tribulations, and when these things are finished, the city of seven hills [i.e. Rome] will be destroyed, and the dreadful judge will judge his people. The End.

This will not end well.

by Anonymousreply 2010/02/2013

I'm just waiting for the fatal accident in 3...2...1...

by Anonymousreply 2110/02/2013

R15, you get my vote!!!! totally agree

by Anonymousreply 2210/02/2013

I have to admit r9 makes a good point, especially because Benedict was somehow forced to step back. It's a little mysterious... Maybe it's just a well planned PR campaign.

by Anonymousreply 2310/02/2013

Meh. It seems fairly obvious.

Benedict was implicated in covering up for pedophiles. Directly implicated. Other scandals were probably on the horizon for him so he had to go. That and his increasing senility brought on his "retirement" from the throne of St. Peter.

Francis was seen as a choice that would please Latinos - the largest and most faithful group in the Catholic flock. He was also seen as "clean" as far as the pedophile scandals go and as a reformer. He's already bringing some of the disillusioned members back to the church.

I think the cardinals bit off a little more than they can chew with him. He hasn't fallen for the palace and the Prada shoes but they're stuck with him. He's doing a nice job so far.

by Anonymousreply 2410/02/2013

Pedophiles--That's been going on forever. It probably has to do with th Vatican Bank.

by Anonymousreply 2510/02/2013

[quote]He could not have come at a better time.

Why? Why should we care what this guy who has no power over any government except in his homeland thinks?

The only good to come out of this is that it makes Right-wingers' heads explode.

by Anonymousreply 2610/02/2013

Benedict still lives with a much younger gay German priest. They have been together for 20 years I think. There may be no sex, but it's a gay relationship and Benedict is gay.

by Anonymousreply 2710/02/2013

I hope they don't kill him

by Anonymousreply 2810/02/2013

He's at it again! He visited Assisi today, and here are some quotes from the Guardian article about the visit.

"The Roman Catholic church, from the lowliest priest to the pontiff himself, must strip itself of all vanity, arrogance and pride and humbly serve the poorest members of society, Pope Francis has said."

"There is a danger that threatens everyone in the church, all of us. The danger of worldliness. It leads us to vanity, arrogance and pride"

"Francis, the first non-European pope in 1,300 years and the first from Latin America, has formed three committees to advise him on making the Vatican more transparent, particularly in its financial dealings.

He has also said that Catholic convents and monasteries that are empty should be opened up to house migrants and refugees."

by Anonymousreply 2910/04/2013

Would love it if he called out our objectivist Republiturds.

by Anonymousreply 3010/04/2013

Pope Francis is about to cause the greatest overhaul the Catholic church has ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 3110/04/2013

[quote]I too am starting to be fond of him.

Why does the Former Altar Girl always have to have an opinion when she's no longer Catholic? This does not concern her.

by Anonymousreply 3210/04/2013

Also of interest, Pope Francis's closest advisors are a group of 8 Cardinals, the "countercuria" who are considered hostile to the Vatican establishment. They are meeting for the first time this week to formulate plans to overhaul how the Vatican is run.

Francis is serious about cleaning up the place. Love him.

How on earth did this guy get elected?!

by Anonymousreply 3310/04/2013

He lurked and waited, r33. The Jesuits groomed him and plotted this for decades. Now all he has to do is fill the college of Cardinals with his fellow Jesuits.

by Anonymousreply 3410/05/2013

October 9:

Pope Francis responds personally to a group of gay Italian Catholics, saying he "really enjoyed" their letter and assuring them of his blessing.

by Anonymousreply 3510/09/2013

[quote]Pope Francis is about to cause the greatest overhaul the Catholic church has ever seen.

Is he going to shut it down?

by Anonymousreply 3610/09/2013

I like that this thread has become one for updates on the Pope's activities.

It sounds like he wants to use the Church's financial resources to help the poor. That's something most Catholics have always thought the Church should be doing with all its money.

by Anonymousreply 3710/09/2013

I agree that there was some reason why Benedict was forced to step down. But, then the Vatican has so many secrets - who knows what it could be.

But, my feeling is that it was an internal power struggle between the curia in the Vatican and the Cardinals in the field.

by Anonymousreply 3810/09/2013

[quote]It sounds like he wants to use the Church's financial resources to help the poor. That's something most Catholics have always thought the Church should be doing with all its money.

OP = our resident Catholic freak.

by Anonymousreply 3910/09/2013

OP may or may not be a Catholic freak, but isn't that statement is objectively correct?

by Anonymousreply 4010/09/2013

I saw this yesterday. I wonder if birth control will also be on the table.

Pope Francis Calls Extraordinary Synod on Family and Marriage

By Elizabeth Dias @elizabethjdias

Pope Francis’ first Synod of the Bishops will be, quite literally, an “extraordinary” one. Today the Vatican announced that Pope Francis will host an Extraordinary General Assembly of the Synod of Bishops to discuss the topic, “The Pastoral Challenges of the Family in the Context of Evangelization.” The meeting will take place in Rome, October 5-14, 2014, and the issue of divorced and remarried Catholics will almost certainly be on the table.

There have only been two previous such Extraordinary Synods since Pope Paul VI established the Synod of Bishops in 1965. The Synod of Bishops is a general assembly gathering that was created as part of the Vatican II reforms, and regular (ie, non-extraordinary) synods meet every couple years. The synod’s role, Pope Paul VI said, is to examine “the signs of the times” and “to provide a deeper interpretation of divine designs and the constitution of the Catholic Church” in order to “foster the unity and cooperation of bishops around the world with the Holy See.”

For Francis, issues of family and marriage are the ones that require deeper interpretation given the signs of the times, and dedicating a synod to the topic suggests he wants to unify church teaching about them. When local church offices around the world make their own decisions about marriage and family—especially about serving communion to divorced and remarried Catholics—the global church as whole becomes divided. “It is very important that an extraordinary Synod has been convoked on the theme of the pastoral of the family,” Vatican spokesperson Fr. Federico Lombardi said. “This is the way in which the Pope intends to promote reflection and to guide the path of the community of the Church, with the responsible participation of the episcopate from different parts of the world.”

Calling an Extraordinary Synod versus a regular Synod means that the issues are even more urgent. The participants are more select, and the heads of the Eastern Churches attend, as well as presidents of bishops conferences and heads of curia offices. The First Extraordinary Synod was held in 1969 and titled, “Cooperation between the Holy See and the Episcopal Conferences.” Pope John Paul II called the Second Extraordinary Synod of 1985 around the theme, “The Twentieth Anniversary of the Conclusion of the Second Vatican Council.” This Third Extraordinary Synod is a result of Pope Francis’ meeting with the “G8″ Council of Cardinals, who met in the Vatican last week.

by Anonymousreply 4110/09/2013

Is he planning to visit the U.S? He doesn't seem to like foreign trips like JP2.

by Anonymousreply 4210/13/2013

This pope is a famewhore. I like a good diva.

It'll be fun to watch how the Catholic church falls to peaces...

by Anonymousreply 4310/13/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!