Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Watch Barbara Stanwyck bitchslap Capucine...

...as a tough lesbian madam in Walk on the Wild Side!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4705/30/2016

Was this before or after she was reduced to doing television?

by Anonymousreply 110/01/2013

Capucine deserved the bitchslap.

by Anonymousreply 210/01/2013

A fabulous movie when taken on it's own. A real lame duck when the Algren novel that is it's source is taken into account.

by Anonymousreply 310/01/2013

Please, Mrs. Alfred Steele, you did a soap opera.

by Anonymousreply 410/01/2013

I love the way Capucine's hair acts, it's so expressive!

by Anonymousreply 510/01/2013

Nice but when it comes to slapping she's no Joan. You can here this poor bitches shoes lift off the ground and come back down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 610/01/2013

I had forgotten that Stanwyck was in this movie. Were there [italic] any [/italic] straight people in this movie at all?

by Anonymousreply 710/01/2013

Any rumours about Babs and Capucine?

by Anonymousreply 810/01/2013

[quote]J. Crawford, always a FILM STAR

Pullllleeeez. You did game shows for fucks sake.

by Anonymousreply 910/01/2013

Capucine was a stunning beauty. I've never seen her in anything other than WWOTWS and "North to Alaska" and she certainly wasn't a deadbeat actress.

by Anonymousreply 1010/01/2013

Capucine showed comic skill in What's New, Pussycat and also The Pink Panther. She reminds me of Anouk Aimee because of her elegance and detachment.

by Anonymousreply 1110/01/2013

Once and for all, how does one pronounce Capucine?

by Anonymousreply 1210/01/2013

kap-oo-seen, or if you want the French pronunciation, check out the link below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1310/01/2013

Capucine's end was extremely sad and tragic. She jumped from her penthouse balcony. She was so lonely and depressed that she couldn't take it anymore. She had a cat and I think a dog.

by Anonymousreply 1410/01/2013

Capucine and Laurence Harvey belong in the "stars who had no chemistry" thread for their performances in this movie...

by Anonymousreply 1510/02/2013

Well, Harvey was a cold, nasty man. And why anyone would cast him as a Texan is anyone's guess.

Fonda is kind of fun in this film. Capucine is gogeous, but as miscast as Harvey.

by Anonymousreply 1610/02/2013

R14, not penthouse, but 8th floor. The penthouse was occupied by the Yul Brynners, and later, one of his ex-wives.

Capucine was good friends with Audrey Hepburn since their pre-celebrity modeling days. She lived just minutes from Audrey and Rob Wolders' villa in Tolochenaz, and was a frequent house guest. She was, however, an exhausting presence in her declining years, with Audrey and Rob often finding themselves acting as counselors and nursemaids to the bipolar actress, who was increasingly talking suicide and made several attempts to off herself before finally succeeding in 1990.

by Anonymousreply 1710/02/2013

Capucine's family history is shrouded in mystery and according to some, the source of her lifetime of distress.

by Anonymousreply 1810/02/2013

Didn't Capucine "date" Dirk Bogarde?

Was she a closet case?

by Anonymousreply 1910/02/2013

After his death, Bogarde's family said she was his beard. She was said to be bi. Had a two year affair with William Holden who was married to Brenda Marshall at the time.

by Anonymousreply 2010/02/2013

Laurence Harvey was a major fruit cake. Frank Sinatra's butler, who was black, said one time Harvey came over to Frank's palace ,and he was a sleazeball. Harvey whispered in the butler's ear, you are a box of chocolates that I would love to taste.

by Anonymousreply 2110/03/2013

Capucine was the love of Dirk Bogarde's life.

by Anonymousreply 2210/03/2013

[quote]Please, Mrs. Alfred Steele, you did a soap opera.

AND she made "Trog". I'd rather have gone to television roles.

by Anonymousreply 2310/04/2013

Didn't Dirk Bogarde also claim to have been in love with Judy Garland?

Mary, please!

by Anonymousreply 2410/04/2013

Capucine almost ruined Robert Preston's marriage. Well, he almost ended it for her -- I can't imagine that it was on the greatest footing when they began their affair.

by Anonymousreply 2510/04/2013

R17 Your info is misleading. I knew Capucine the last 16 years of her life.

She lived in the penthouse, therefore she jumped from the penthouse, terrace. I knew the home well.

Yes, she did visit Audrey regularly. Robbie of course was about. She didn't stay with them, she just drove over - about a 15 minute drive.

To suggest Capucine was a hindrance to Audrey is unfair. They were dear friends.

Also it is not true they knew each other from "modeling days". Yes, Capucine was a Givenchy model, but Audrey didn't model. They met when Audrey came to Givency to be fitted for film costumes.

by Anonymousreply 2610/04/2013

R6 Thank you for the Joan slap. Laughed out loud. That other actress may have lost a molar.

Nice follow thru, Joan.

by Anonymousreply 2710/04/2013

"Capucine almost ruined Robert Preston's marriage."

Absolute nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 2810/04/2013

Quite right, R28; it was a lousy marriage, which is why I back-pedalled. But he was talking about leaving his wife for Capucine.

by Anonymousreply 2910/04/2013

I heard that the Stan demanded an inordinate amount of rehearsal before the scene was filmed.

Poor Capucine.

by Anonymousreply 3010/04/2013

Purr, purr Capucine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3110/04/2013

"That other actress may have lost a molar."

That's Betsy Palmer, R27. Believe it or not, since it looks nothing like her appearance in subsequent years.

by Anonymousreply 3210/04/2013

Love Anne Baxter as Teresina! Bad Mexican accident and a black wig she borrowed from Bette Davis, who wore it in "Beyond the Forest"!

by Anonymousreply 3301/09/2014

Never heard anyone say a good word about Lawrence Harvey

by Anonymousreply 3401/09/2014

Imagine how blistering Stanwyck would have been in the Streep part in August: Osage County.

by Anonymousreply 3501/09/2014

Laurence Harvey has an unusual bio. Lithuanian-born, RADA-trained bisexual or closeted gay man; frequent liar who tried to hide his Jewish origins. His daughter Domino became a bounty hunter and died age 35.

by Anonymousreply 3601/09/2014

Betsy Palmer was in Queen Bee, but she's not the actress Joan slapped.

I believe her name was Lucy Marlowe and she was never heard from again after this film.

by Anonymousreply 3701/09/2014

Why did she commit suicide?

by Anonymousreply 3801/09/2014

How else would you expect a character named "Jo" to act?

by Anonymousreply 3901/09/2014

The real Domino Harvey was a consultant to the film Domino about her. She was played by Keira Knightley. It was directed by Tony Scott. Edgar Ramirez who played Choco in that film had an affair with the real Domino during the filming. She was very masculine and appears in the film briefly at the end. She died just before the film was released.

by Anonymousreply 4001/09/2014

So who are ladies linked with Capucine?

by Anonymousreply 4101/09/2014

Did they have lesbian sex afterwards?

by Anonymousreply 4201/12/2014

Capucine was quoted as saying that Barbara had a "lady friend" when they were filming Walk on the Wild Side, so she didn't hit on her.

by Anonymousreply 4301/12/2014

by Anonymousreply 4401/15/2014

This is the kind of thread that makes me happy to fork over my yearly $18 to DL.

by Anonymousreply 4501/15/2014

[quote]Never heard anyone say a good word about Lawrence Harvey

Laurence Harvey was friends with Elizabeth Taylor and Noel Coward, both of whom seemed to regard him with affection.

by Anonymousreply 4601/15/2014

Laurence Harvey didn't like Capucine.

During the filming, Capucine objected to filming kissing scenes with Laurence Harvey, feeling that he was not manly enough for her. Harvey reportedly replied, "Perhaps if you were more of a woman, I would be more of a man. Honey, kissing you is like kissing the side of a beer bottle."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4705/30/2016
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!