Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Stairway To Heaven - Led Zeppelin

When did Led Zeppelin's "Stairway to Heaven" start to become regarded as the greatest rock song of all time?

I had read that the American rock press, particularly Rolling Stone were indifferent to their music and albums...

But why and when did "Stairway to Heaven" get singled out as the greatest?

by Anonymousreply 51512/16/2013

Because more people requested it than any other song.

The band's favorite song is "Kashmir" which runs a close second in global popularity.

by Anonymousreply 110/01/2013

Cameron Crowe's RS article changed the magazine's view on Led Zeppelin.

I never quite understood why the band were initially despised so much by rock critics. Jimmy Page was a well respected session musician as well as known from The Yardbirds.

I guess the fact that they were so blatant about ripping off blue musicians turned RS off?

It wasn't as if if hadn't been done before, many British blues bands were ripping off American black blues men. Bands such as the original Fleetwood Mac, Cream and many others.

by Anonymousreply 210/01/2013

Critics never cared for Led Zeppelin's lyrics.

Most Zeppelin songs are about. Sex, and drugs, and sex, and lord of the rings, and sex.

by Anonymousreply 310/01/2013

Hate Stairway to Heaven. Completely overplayed where I'm at.

by Anonymousreply 410/01/2013

It was the theme of my 8th grade graduation dance in 1979, already a classic.

by Anonymousreply 510/01/2013

I worship Led Zeppelin and have since about 1969. They were my favorite band in my teen years and I still play them religiously. I love "Stairway", even after its being overplayed for decades. A great tune!

by Anonymousreply 610/01/2013

From the Wikipedia article on the song:

"Stairway to Heaven" is often rated among the greatest rock songs of all time. According to music journalist Stephen Davis, although the song was released in 1971, it took until 1973 before the song's popularity ascended to truly "anthemic" status. As Page himself recalled, "I knew it was good, but I didn't know it was going to be almost like an anthem ... But I knew it was the gem of the album, sure."

I think the song is just about perfect in its overall composition, but still about on a par musically with other anthemic classics like "Layla." Still, "Stairway" achieved greater heights due to its ambiguous symbolism, which was interpreted as ethereal assent.

by Anonymousreply 710/01/2013

Yeah, all that r8, whatever.

It's also a really good song.

by Anonymousreply 910/01/2013

It's the perfect song to listen to while getting stoned.

by Anonymousreply 1010/01/2013

In the early 80s, a local radio station that I grew up listening to was changing its format. It advertised a big announcement regarding the format change. Its big announcement was playing Stairway to Heaven nonstop for more than 2 hours before they announced they were now solely a rock station. Why did they do that?? I never quite understood the point....

by Anonymousreply 1110/01/2013

[quote]It's the perfect song to listen to while getting stoned.

Unfortunately, once you are stoned, you realize how boring the song really is.

by Anonymousreply 1210/01/2013

It's a great song.

by Anonymousreply 1310/01/2013

R8, instead of pasting another person's interpretation of the song, why not tell us why YOU like it?

I saw Zep about 10-15 times, the song never lost it's magic and uplifting vibe, especially live.

by Anonymousreply 1410/01/2013

Saw Zep 3 times during their last U.S. tour. THANK GOD!

I was in awe.

No other band comes close. (Stones, Who, U2, etc)

by Anonymousreply 1510/01/2013

About 20 years ago Robert Plant did an interview with Scott Muni. He said the first time they played Stairway to Heaven at a concert the audience was totally silent when they finished. Page said to him- I told you the song sucked. Then the audience cheered.

by Anonymousreply 1610/01/2013

Last time I was pissed on, it was known as a sprinkling for the May Queen.

by Anonymousreply 1710/01/2013

I love LZ, but I'm a little tired of all the attention given to Stairway. I much prefer Kashmir. I also love Tea for One...

by Anonymousreply 1810/01/2013

Beyonce has won 16 Grammy Awards

Led Zeppelin has won 1 Grammy Award

Understand the American Music Industry now?

by Anonymousreply 1910/01/2013

Wow, I miss Scott Muni. I have fond memories of listening to Scott, Dave Hermann and Carol Miller playing Zeppelin.

By the time In Through the Out Door was released, I was 14. Suddenly Bonham was dead and Zeppelin cancelled the tour. My bf had tickets to go with his dad. I felt sorry for my bf. He wanted to hear Stairway live. I remember 3 rock anthems during those years - Stairway to Heaven, Free Bird and Green Grass and High Tides Forever. I can't count the number of times I heard them on the radio.

by Anonymousreply 2010/01/2013

[quote]Why did they do that?? I never quite understood the point....

I believe that's usually done to drive away the listeners of the old format and to clear the way for the new one.

by Anonymousreply 2110/01/2013

Stairway, denied!

by Anonymousreply 2210/01/2013

It's not considered the greatest rock song anymore. "Bohemian Rhapsody" is.

by Anonymousreply 2310/01/2013

R19 - Alison Krauss has 27 Grammys and has been nominated 41 times. She even won for a duet with Robert Plant. I'd have to look and see, but I think early 70s Grammys were often awarded to non-rock acts. In fact there was probably a bias among votes that led to the Carpenters getting awards and rock acts getting ignored in the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 2410/01/2013

I'm more of a "Time" by pink floyd kinda guy.

by Anonymousreply 2510/01/2013

I despise LZ for stealing the "Stairway toHeaven" guitar chords from Spirit, a much better band. The then-unkown LZ opened for Spirit, a very popular band in California, in concerts played in California in the 1960s.

Behold "Taurus," the Spirit song that LZ ripped off. written and produced in 1967.

BTW, the lead guitarist for Spirit, the late Randy California, played in Jimi Hendrix's band when he was 14 years. Randy's mom refused to allow Randy to go to London with Hendrix. She insisted he graduate from high school.

by Anonymousreply 2610/01/2013

People always ask me why "Stairway to Heaven" sounds exactly like "Taurus", which was released two years earlier. I know Led Zeppelin also played "Fresh Garbage" in their live set. They opened up for us on their first American tour.

Well, if you listen to the two songs, you can make your own judgment. It’s an exact… I’d say it was a rip-off. And the guys made millions of bucks on it and never said, “Thank you,” never said, “Can we pay you some money for it?”  It’s kind of a sore point with me.  Maybe some day their conscience will make them do something about it.  I don’t know.  There are funny business dealings between record companies, managers, publishers, and artists.  But when artists do it to other artists, there’s no excuse for that. I’m mad!  [laughs]

by Anonymousreply 2710/01/2013

Stairway to Heaven

Hotel California

I just tried to "play" them in alternating parts in my head. It's cool.

by Anonymousreply 2810/01/2013

I've always HATED this song with a passion.

Don't know why, but I do.

I'm more of a "Goin To California" fan.

by Anonymousreply 2910/01/2013

It was considered a classic when I was in high school in 1980. I'm totally sick of it, and pretty much every other song that plays on classic rock radio, but I acknowledge it's a great song.

by Anonymousreply 3010/01/2013

Led Zeppelin by far is the greatest rick band ever. The creativity if their work stands alone.

by Anonymousreply 3110/01/2013

Fuck Led Zeppelin's version. Google Heart Kennedy Center Stairway. Ann Wilson is the greatest.

by Anonymousreply 3310/01/2013

I love Spirit and I love Led Zep. Not a big fan of "Stairway" or "Kashmir" though. I'd rather hear stuff like "In The Light," "Achilles' Last Stand," and the "Battle of Evermore."

by Anonymousreply 3410/01/2013

Poor Randy California. In addition to not getting he recognition he deserved for influencing so many rock musicians, he died at age 45 rescuing his son from drowning in the ocean in Hawaii. His body was never found.

by Anonymousreply 3510/01/2013

Teenage funerals of the '70s. I always felt so bad for the parents of the dead kids when the rock songs started playing at the viewings.

by Anonymousreply 3610/01/2013

An almost equally inescapable song was Nights in White Satin by Moody Blues. Stairway to Heaven dethroned it as chief Prom Theme after a few years. Yet it's disappeared from the radar.

Moody Blues had a tendency to get overly poetic and foofy.

by Anonymousreply 3710/01/2013

I love r.33

by Anonymousreply 3810/01/2013

by Anonymousreply 3910/01/2013

To me the greatest song is "A Day in the Life" by the Beatles. They were more innovative than LZ. Robert Plant's voice annoys me as he sounds very shrill and squeaky. Janis Joplin's voice was better. As for dance music my fave is "In the Bush" by Musique. I always laugh my ass off to that one.

by Anonymousreply 4010/01/2013

Still not tired of Stairway & still don't know all the words. Is it "If there's a bustle in your hedgerow, don't be alone there!" Or something else? I don't know but still awesome.

But my favourite Zep songs are "Over the Hills and Far Away" and the so under-rated "All of my Love."

by Anonymousreply 4110/01/2013

Agreed R30. God you couldn't get away from that song in the 70s and 80s. Totally overplayed to the point that I cannot grasp why it's such a classic.

Funny to know they ripped off the music. Classic indeed.

by Anonymousreply 4210/01/2013

I'm incredibly impressed that some of you are iknowledgea le about Spirit, one of the most underrated bands ever. Like Hendrix, they STILL sound ahead of their time (including most of today's music).

by Anonymousreply 4310/01/2013

Anyone have a link to that Hotel California performance with the long guitar intro?

by Anonymousreply 4410/01/2013

r37 Love the Moody Blues -- Nights in White Satin is good, albeit yes a little over the top. I like Tuesday Afternoon even better. Also love Santana ...

by Anonymousreply 4510/01/2013

Big LZ fan, but never understood the popularity of STH. It was big with the metal heads and trippy teens in the 70s, which might explain its designation as generational anthem. It used to be requested non-stop on FM MOR rock radio along with Turn the Page, Free Bird, and other mind-numbingly dull tripe.

So many others from the LZ songbook are so much better: In The Light, Bron-Yr-Aur, Sick Again, and just about anything from Physical Graffiti; Bring it on Home, Tangerine, Gallows Pole, and nearly everything on ITTOD.

by Anonymousreply 4610/01/2013

"Stairway to Heaven" was my older brother's favorite song. He was killed in an accident in 1972 at age 15 and it was played at his funeral. I'll always have a soft spot for that song (knowing how much David loved it). When I hear it I smile. It reminds me of my awesome brother/best friend that I lost way to soon.

by Anonymousreply 4710/01/2013

R47 here. I meant to say "way too soon." My keyboard is freaking out on me.

by Anonymousreply 4810/01/2013

Does anybody remember laughter?

by Anonymousreply 4910/01/2013

I'm 25 and Zeppelin is my favorite band ever. My parents were huge fans and played their CD's on every road trip our family went on. Our entire family would sing along with their songs in the car. That band will always rule my world. "Stairway To Heaven" is absolutely one of the classic songs of all time. I prefer "In My Time of Dying", "Since I've Been Loving You", "No Quarter (Live version from "The Song Remains The Same") and "Achilles Last Stand", but "Stairway" is one raging tune.

by Anonymousreply 5010/01/2013

@43 I just downloaded the Best of Spirit. Am listening to it right now. Damned good and tx for recommendation. I hear what your saying about rip-offs.

by Anonymousreply 5110/01/2013

I prefer Dolly Parton's version. Zeppelin were a bunch of sleazy hetero pigs. Metal sucks.

by Anonymousreply 5210/01/2013

In defense of Led Zeppelin: Some of the best songwriting is not about "copying" the works of others as much as it is being truly inspired by the works and putting a twist on it.

The intro to Led Zeppelin's song may have a similar sound but it is very different. "Taurus" had very little to do with "Stairway" as a whole composition. Regardless of the inspiration, "Stairway" is brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 5310/01/2013

r47 - I'm sorry to hear about your brother. I lost my sister when she was young and I know how tough it is to lose a sibling when you're a kid. He definitely had great taste in music!

by Anonymousreply 5410/01/2013

I love "Stairway to Heaven" passionately. At the age of 16 in March of 1974 my best high school buddy and I popped each other's cherries in the back seat of my beloved '69 Challenger while the 8-track tape of "Led Zeppelin IV" played over and over again.

I'll always associate "Stairway" and the rest of the album with that beautiful night of pleasure, pain and hot, hormone-driven teenage passion with my first love and the smell of sex and my first real taste of cock. Damn!

"Stairway" RULES!!!

by Anonymousreply 5510/01/2013

R54, Thank you for your kind words. I'm sorry for your loss as well. It's amazing how certain music evokes such memories of those we've lost. There are a handful of songs that remind me of my brother (Mountain's "Theme from an Imaginary Western", The Beatles' "Let It Be", The Stones' "No Expectations", and "All Right Now" by Free), but none as vivid as the memories evoked by "Stairway to Heaven."

by Anonymousreply 5610/01/2013

"Stairway To Heaven" is my favorite song of all time. I first heard the song in the Spring of 1972 (when I was 6 years old). Our next door neighbor's teenage son always cranked the song while he was washing his car in their driveway. I think he was my first gay crush. LOL.

I used to sit on our lawn and watch him (blond hair blowing in the wind and those blue jean cut-off shorts showing his beautiful legs) scrubbing that car down and rinsing it off, while "Stairway To Heaven" played. He would smile at me and squirt me with the waterhose. It seems like a million years ago, but the memory is still quite vivid.

by Anonymousreply 5710/01/2013

If it's not the best song of all-time, it's definitely in the top five! I remember being blown away by it as a kid in the early '70s.

by Anonymousreply 5810/02/2013

My favorite memory of Stairway To Heaven:

When I was twelve years old (circa 1976), we went to a cookout at my aunt and uncle's house. My older stoner cousin (17 at the time) took me up to his bedroom and we sat on the floor with his headphones on. He pulled out a joint, lit it, and said, "Here, buddy. This is the way to listen to Zeppelin."

I had never smoked weed before and I remember the feeling of weightlessly floating on a cloud, sitting with my eyes closed, and embracing the song fully for the first time. I had heard the song many times before, but never like that. It took me to an entirely different level that day.

I spent the rest of the afternoon with a big smile on my face. Only my cousin and I knew why.

by Anonymousreply 5910/02/2013

For all its popularity Robert Plant has refused to do this song in concert since going solo. He disparages it in interviews too, isn't very proud of it of how its come to define the band.

by Anonymousreply 6010/02/2013

I was so happy when disco came along and killed all that lame acid rock crap. Disco was fun and brilliant, acid rock was droning, depressing, non-sensical and ignorant. Give me Abba, Village People, Donna Summer, Rose Royce and Sylvester any day over crappy overrated acid rock.

by Anonymousreply 6110/02/2013

I am 48 years old and Led Zeppelin has been the soundtrack to this gay boy's life for most of it. There are other bands and performers I love, but Zep is the pinnacle for me!

by Anonymousreply 6210/02/2013

I beg to differ, R61. Disco did not come close to "killing" Led Zeppelin. Disco was at its peak from 1975 to 1979. During those years, Led Zeppelin released "Physical Graffiti" (1975), "Presence" (1976), "The Song Remains The Same" (1976), and "In Through The Out Door" (1979).

Every one of those albums was a multi-million seller in the U.S. alone, not to mention their massive sales worldwide. To say that disco in any way eroded Led Zeppelin's popularity is just plain silly and inaccurate. Zeppelin was a phenomenon in the '70s.

by Anonymousreply 6310/02/2013

Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin and I'm Your Captain/Closer To Home by Grand Funk Railroad were my beloved Dad's favorite songs. He requested that we play those songs at his funeral. When he died in 2008, at age 57, we did. Very touching.

by Anonymousreply 6410/02/2013

I had my first shag to Zeppelin's Stairway many years ago.

by Anonymousreply 6510/02/2013

I love the 1971 studio version on their fourth album, but I have always preferred the live version from "The Song Remains The Same" movie and soundtrack album. It's ballsier and more powerful.

by Anonymousreply 6610/02/2013

I wish Debby Boone had recorded a version of it.

by Anonymousreply 6710/02/2013

Best Band Ever = Led Zeppelin.

Best Album Ever = Led Zeppelin IV (ZOSO, Runes, or whatever you wanna call it)

Best Song Ever = Stairway To Heaven.

That's just the way it is, plain and simple.

by Anonymousreply 6810/02/2013

R68, you're a 50-something womon who drives trucks, aren't you?

by Anonymousreply 6910/02/2013

There are so many musicians Led Zeppelin, or rather Jimmy Page, ripped off.....from the aforementioned Spirit, to black American bluesmen to British folkies! Still, Zep are my fave rock band and will always be.

In the 1960s, when Page was touring with The Yardbirds, he saw a New York based musician named Jake Holmes in concert. Jake performed his compostition, a song called "Dazed and Confused", there is NO denying it's the same exact song The Yardbirds as well as Zep recorded. The Yardbirds called this song 'I'm Confused" with the late Keith Relf on vocals.

Was Jake ever compensated? Not sure.

Jake went on to write for Streisand and others, but it would have been nice had Page stated who the real composer was! Jake's album with this song was released before Zep's first LP. IIRC, Jake did have a hit with a song called "So Close". He also went on to write commercial jingles.

Why Page so blatantly denied his thievery over the years, no one will ever understand. He has never been honest about it.

Page also blatantly ripped off a British folkie named Bert Jansch.

Bert was one of the world's finest acoustic folk guitarists, Bert was right up there with Richard Thompson and Bert's former band mate John Renbourn. Bert and Renbourn were the guitarists a fantastic band called Pentangle, they played an odd mix of British folk and jazz music, they are another of my fave bands.

Page ripped off Bert's version of a traditional English folk song called,'Black Waterside", he re-named it 'White Summer" while in The Yardbirds and "Black Mountainside" for Zep's first LP.

Anyone with functioning ears can HEAR it's the SAME EXACT SONG! The only difference is that Page added Mid-Eastern drumming to his versions.

Bert died about two years ago, I don't think Page ever acknowledged Bert's influence on Zeppelin's folk oriented songs. Disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 7010/02/2013

R69, No, I am a gay male. 49 years old and I am a Cardiologist. I have never been a woman nor a truck driver. Thank you. LOL. Zeppelin just rules my world. They got me through my teens, my college years, medical school and beyond. I will always love them.

by Anonymousreply 7110/02/2013

Led Zeppelin had zero talent. Their singer was lousy and could not carry a tune in a bucket. Their guitar player knew two chords and couldn't play the same song the same way twice. The bass player was the equivalent of a 12 year old who was just learning his instrument. The drummer overplayed everything. He covered his lack of talent by banging on the drums as hard as he could.

Give me a real (and TALENTED) rock act like Chicago, Billy Joel, Doobie Brothers or Springsteen any day over that shitty high school prom band Led Zeppelin. Those acts rocked while Led Zeppelin shit the musical bed. That's why they didn't last. Chicago, Billy Joel, The Doobie Brothers and Springsteen are still active, vibrant and touring. Where is Led Zeppelin? Dead is where!

by Anonymousreply 7210/02/2013

R72 Oh, yeah. Chicago's crappy "If You Leave Me Now", "Baby What A Big Surprise", "No Tell Lover" and "Hard To Say I'm Sorry" just ROCKED THE HOUSE. Never has a band rocked so hard as Chicago (rolling eyes).

Springsteen is good, but he never got close to "rocking." Doobie Brothers sucked hard. Billy Joel was a lame joke, even at his best and wouldn't have known what rock was if it hit him over the head.

Being out on the road as part of "oldies packages" harly qualifies as still being "vibrant and active." If it did, Journey, REO Speedwagon and Foreigner would still be relevant by your definition.

Regardless of your opinion, Zeppelin did rock, lady.

by Anonymousreply 7310/02/2013

I grew up in the hip hop era (I'm 18) and I had never heard of this song until today. There's nothing special about it. Maybe my ears are just used to modern things like Eminem, Snoop Lion, Lil Wayne, etc.

This old timey rock is old people music. That's why it is forgotten. I know a lot of older people remember stuff like Stariway To Heaven but I had never heard it until I went on YouTube a few minute ago. I found it lame and stupid. Hip Hop owns that shit.

by Anonymousreply 7410/02/2013

Ten Led Zeppelin Songs Better Than Stairway:

1. Achilles Last Stand (1976)

2. Kashmir (1975)

3. Tea For One (1976)

4. Fool In The Rain (1979)

5. All My Love (1979)

6. In The Evening (1979)

7. In My Time Of Dying (1975)

8. Trampled Under Foot (1975)

9. The Ocean (1973)

10. The Song Remains The Same (1973)

by Anonymousreply 7510/02/2013

I've never been a big fan of this song, but after watching the Wilson sisters perform the shit out of this at the Kennedy Center Honors, I like this song so much more now.

by Anonymousreply 7610/02/2013

[quote]The bass player was the equivalent of a 12 year old who was just learning his instrument.

I cannot stand when people give some off-the-cuff reasons for hating a band without backing it with actual proof, it comes out as being essentially their opinions!

Funny how both Jimmy Page and bass player/keyboardist John Paul Jones were both seasoned and in-demand session players before forming Led Zep. Page played lead guitar on Tom Jones "It's Not Unusal", to name one of the many hits Page and JPJ played on!

Sherry baby, to put it bluntly, you don't know shit about Led Zeppelin, let alone, rock music!

Comparing Chicago to Zeppelin reveals your lack of knowledge about real rock music!

Chicago could hardly be considered a rock band, they were basically watered down pop/jazz...not even as inventive a fusion jazz band as the great Weather Report or guitarist John McLaughlin's rock/jazz fusion bands with one of the world's best drummers in any genre, Tony Williams!

Whew, you know ZERO about great rock music!

Billy Joel always screamed 'show tunes' to me, he proved it by providing music for a Broadway show! He had finally found his niche.

by Anonymousreply 7710/02/2013

I can proudly say that I was a disco dancing maniac back in the day, and I had no use for the likes of Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, Styx, etc. Other than Stairway to Heaven (which I hate), I could not name one other song of Led Zeppelin's. They were a non-entity in my life in the Seventies. I am proud of that.

To me it seemed like they really weren't all that popular back then, but I never hung out with white trash, red necks or stoner rockers. I associated with intelligent and culturally diverse folk.

by Anonymousreply 7810/02/2013

Disco was the epitome of class, intelligence and cultural diversity R78? You've got to be kidding!

People were fucking in the toilets and getting loaded out of their minds on coke at Studio 54, they were just as crazy as the rockers you demean!

Who are you, AJ Benza, yep, a real CLASS act!

by Anonymousreply 7910/02/2013

R78, You know it was possible to like both, right? I was a huge Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Rush, Aerosmith, BOC, Alice Cooper fanatic, but I also loved a lot of disco. I loved the Bee Gees, Donna Summer, Chic, KC & The Sunshine Band, Ohio Players etc.

You say you hung out with "intelligent and diverse" people. You apparently weren't diverse enough to venture outside of Studio 54 in the 1970s. I loved disco, but I also loved hard rock, metal, punk, new wave, soft rock, MOR, funk, R&B, country, classical, and so on.

I can't imagine being "proud" of being a music snob. There is so much great music out there. Why limit yourself?

by Anonymousreply 8010/02/2013

R78 I could never love a person who did not like at least one or two songs by Led Zeppelin, the Rolling Stones and Styx. Those bands, especially Zep and the Stones, recorded a huge variety of musical styles during their long careers. There has to have been something you would have liked.

The Stones recorded "Hot Stuff", "Miss You", "Dance" and "Emotional Rescue." Surely you heard those at your local disco club. I sure did hear them at mine back in the day!

by Anonymousreply 8110/02/2013

[quote]I grew up in the hip hop era (I'm 18) and I had never heard of this song until today. There's nothing special about it. Maybe my ears are just used to modern things like Eminem, Snoop Lion, Lil Wayne, etc.

Since you are only 18, I guess you are unaware that P Diddy, or whatever name he uses today, sampled the main riff of Zep's "Kashmir" for his Godzilla song from the movie re-make?

Not to mention the TONS of other rappers and hip hop artistes who have sampled Led Zeppelin and many other famous rock songs.

I guess when you don't have original ideas of your need to sample already existing music!

Get a clue, kid!

by Anonymousreply 8210/02/2013

And let us not forget... the bulge!

by Anonymousreply 8310/02/2013

Jimmy page, age 14, playing guitar on the BBC.

by Anonymousreply 8410/02/2013

And as we wind on down the road. Our shadows taller than our soul. There walks a lady we all know, who shines white light and wants to show, how everything still turns to gold.

And if you listen very hard, the tune will come to you at last. When we all are one and one is all. To be a rock and not to roll.

And she's buying the stairway to heaven.

by Anonymousreply 8510/02/2013

"Stairway To Heaven" is sheer bloody poetry, both musically and lyrically. I defy Eminem or P. Diddy to write something one-one millionth as profound!

by Anonymousreply 8610/02/2013

R74 What, pray tell, is a fucking Snoop Lion?

by Anonymousreply 8710/02/2013

R81 Led Zeppelin diverse??? Don't make me laugh. They were a two-chord one-trick pony. If not for their likes we would have been spared all the garbage that followed like Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, the Quiet Riots and Motley Crue (the nadir of music). Led Zeppelin was diverse, my big brown ass!

by Anonymousreply 8810/02/2013

"To be a rock and not a roll" is sheer poetry?

Don't think so

by Anonymousreply 8910/02/2013

Satanic noise.

by Anonymousreply 9010/02/2013

The 70s Robert Plant is my dream man. Tall, big bulge, beautiful face.....yum

by Anonymousreply 9110/02/2013

R90 I knew there was a reason I liked it so much. You know what they say, the devil has the best music. Yee-hah!

by Anonymousreply 9210/02/2013

R88, I would encourage you to listen beyond "Stairway To Heaven" if you believe Led Zeppelin were a "two chord one-trick pony." Many of their songs employ complex, unusual chord voicings and time signatures and incorporate diverse world-music influences (Eastern and Celtic, for instance).

Even if you don't personally enjoy their music, it's a mistake to dismiss them as being anywhere near the simplistic rock of a Bon Jovi, Motley Crue or Quiet Riot. To do so is to have the same narrow mindedness of those who dismiss disco.

by Anonymousreply 9310/02/2013

Amen, R93. Absolutely!

by Anonymousreply 9410/02/2013

1. The Beatles & Led Zeppelin

2. The Rolling Stones & Black Sabbath

3. The Who

4. Aerosmith

5. Pink Floyd

by Anonymousreply 9510/02/2013

R88, A "two chord one-trick pony"? I call bullshit. There is nothing simplistic or knuckle-headed about songs like "Fool In The Rain." If you consider that to be two-chord, one-trick pony bullshit, then you are in dire need of a hearing aid and a course or two in musical theory! Songs do not get much more complex than "Fool In The Rain." Trust me, I've been a studio session guitarist for over 30 years.

Led Zeppelin was far from being a one-trick pony. Motley Crue, Twisted Sister or Quiet Riot? Definitely. Zeppelin? Not even close!

by Anonymousreply 9610/02/2013

R96 Agreed. Led Zeppelin, The Beatles and Queen were three bands that were anything BUT one-trick ponies! Those bands successfully covered almost every musical style in their careers (with amazing results).

Listen to a Zep album like "Physical Graffiti" or "In Through The Out Door." Both of those albums are the epitome of musical diversity. By the way, those are still my two favorite Led Zeppelin albums after all these years.

Plant, Page, Jones & Bonham were all amazing!

by Anonymousreply 9710/02/2013

Like R80, I appreciate all types of music. Open-minded, truly cultured people do not limit themselves to a particular genre. I love disco, house music, techno, jazz, bossa nova, folk, prog rock, you name it. But you will pry my classic rock albums from my cold dead hands.

by Anonymousreply 9810/02/2013

R69 Why would you think R68 is a truck driving lesbian? Almost all of my gay buddies love, or at least like, Led Zeppelin. I am as gay as the day and I have been a huge Zeppelin fan since I was seven years old (1973). We don't all listen to Wham!, Barbra Streisand and ABBA, you know (unless that page was missing from my copy of "The Gay Agenda").

by Anonymousreply 9910/02/2013

Without "Stairway To Heaven" by Led Zeppelin we never would have had "Hairway To Steven" by The Butthole Surfers! My life would be incomplete without either!

by Anonymousreply 10010/02/2013

R98 You took the words right out of my mouth.

by Anonymousreply 10110/02/2013

I take the elevator over your Stairway to Heaven

by Anonymousreply 10210/02/2013

R98, "You will pry my classic rock albums from my cold dead hands."

This boy feels the same G.D. way. That's going on my tombstone someday. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 10310/02/2013

Led Zeppelin was the One Direction of the 70's.

by Anonymousreply 10410/02/2013

ABBA was far better than Zeppelin. My opinion, but I feel it to be true.

by Anonymousreply 10510/02/2013

R105 What would make you compare Abba to Led Zeppelin? That's like comparing Justin Bieber to Slayer! Totally different genres, dude!

by Anonymousreply 10610/02/2013

[quote]Led Zeppelin was the One Direction of the 70's.

That statement completely proves you know very little about Led Zep and rock music, in general!

Zep were NOT a boy band, they were not a pop band, their style actually did progress with each LP.

They moved on from pure blues of their first LP to funk, hard rock and English folk. One of my fave Zep LPs, is the folk tinged third LP.

Zep's core audience definitely were not drooling teenyboppers and screaming tween females.

R104, Clueless, is your name.

The people comparing Zep to ABBA, Billy Joel etc are utterly clueless...!!

That's like comparing Doc Severenson to Miles Davis!

by Anonymousreply 10710/02/2013

Hangman, hangman, turn your head awhile, I think I see my sister coming, riding many mile, mile, mile. Sister, I implore you, take him by the hand, Take him to some shady bower, save me from the wrath of this man, Please take him, save me from the wrath of this mad, man.

Hangman, hangman, upon your face a smile, Tell me that I'm free to ride, Ride for many mile, mile, mile.

Oh yes, you got a fine sister, She warmed my blood from cold, She warmed my blood to boiling hot to keep you from the Gallows Pole, Your brother brought me silver, Your sister warmed my soul, But now I laugh and pull so hard, see you swinging from the Gallows Pole

But now I laugh and pull so hard, see you swinging from the Gallows Pole. Swingin' on the gallows pole!

by Anonymousreply 10810/02/2013

Stop NOT mentioning the Kinks, who invented the power chord

by Anonymousreply 10910/02/2013

[quote]Stop NOT mentioning the Kinks, who invented the power chord

Jimmy Page played LEAD GUITAR on a few of their big hits....what was that about "power chords"?

As a Kinks fan, you should know this!

by Anonymousreply 11010/02/2013

Babe I'm Gonna Leave You and When The Levee Breaks are amazing, fantastic, POWERFUL songs.

Two of my favorites for sure.

by Anonymousreply 11110/02/2013

R109 I hear you, The Kinks were awesome. A great under-appreciated band. I had every album they released in the '60s and '70s. True genius.

by Anonymousreply 11210/02/2013

Page wrote 'Tangerine" for singer/songwriter Jackie DeShannon.

They lived together for while in the mid 1960s, in England. Jackie said Jimmy was quiet and liked to play chess.

by Anonymousreply 11310/02/2013

For many years it was rumoured that Jimmy Page played the guitar solo; however, Ray Davies confirmed that Dave Davies created and played the solo, accidentally augmenting the riff by playing it through a speaker with a hole in it.[3] Page may have appeared on the single's b-side, "I Gotta Move",[4] which gives credits as "possibly Jimmy Page acoustic 12 string guitar, else Ray Davies".

by Anonymousreply 11410/02/2013

The guitar solo on the recording is the source of one of the most controversial and persistent myths in all of rock and roll: that it was not played by the Kinks' lead guitarist Dave Davies, but by then-session player Jimmy Page, who later joined The Yardbirds and Led Zeppelin.

Among those claiming Page played lead guitar was Jon Lord of Deep Purple who also claimed to play piano on the track.[12] Page has always denied playing the song's guitar solo, going so far as to state in a 1970s interview cited in Sound On Sound magazine that "I didn't play on 'You Really Got Me' and that's what pisses him (Ray Davies) off."[13]

Rock historian and author Doug Hinman makes a case that the rumour was begun and fostered by the established UK Rhythm and Blues community, many of whose members were resentful that an upstart band of teenagers such as the Kinks could produce such a powerful and influential blues-based recording, seemingly out of nowhere.[citation needed]

Recent Kinks' releases have given full official credits for the musicians on the track.[14][15] Group members Ray Davies (vocals and rhythm guitar), Dave Davies (lead guitar), Pete Quaife (bass) are joined by session men Bobby Graham (drums), and Arthur Greenslade (piano). Regular Kinks drummer Mick Avory plays the tambourine.

Shel Talmy, the Producer on the track has recently gone on record and put the controversy to rest in an interview with the blog, Finding Zoso, "I mean, Jimmy Page did not play the solo on “You Really Got Me” which I’ve said about 5,000 times to people who insist that he did. The reason I used Jimmy on The Kinks stuff is because Ray didn’t really want to play guitar and sing at the same time. In fact, Jimmy was playing rhythm guitar.[16]

Talmy later re-emphasized the point in an interview with The Guardian saying "contrary to myth, Jimmy didn't play on You Really Got Me."[11]

by Anonymousreply 11510/02/2013

[quote]And let us not forget... the bulge!

The Schlong Remains the Same.

by Anonymousreply 11610/02/2013

Robert Plant, true to LZ's ethos, ripped of Roger Daltrey's frontman looks and style.

by Anonymousreply 11710/02/2013

I respect Zep, but for those of us born after 1980, it's Smells Like Teen Spirit.

And if I had to pick a classic rock best song, it would be either Goin' To California, Comfortably Numb, Sympathy For The Devil or Sunshine of My Love

by Anonymousreply 11810/02/2013

R117 But Plant was FAR better looking in his day than Roger was. Daltrey had a nice physique but his face was totally fug (and got worse with age). Robert Plant had the whole package (so to speak).

Plant set this teen gay boy a droolin' circa back then. I'm not foolin', he could send me back to schoolin' - I tell you.

by Anonymousreply 11910/02/2013

Plant was more girlish looking. Like Lillian Gish, he was

by Anonymousreply 12010/02/2013

For those of us born after 1990 it was Nickelback and Lady Gaga. So suck it!

by Anonymousreply 12110/02/2013

Please, R118, do not turn this into a Nirvana thread! Tons of rock music threads on DL always seem to end up being about Nirvana or Kurt C.

For the people posting the Kink's info, I NEVER posted that Page played lead on "You Really Got Me".

Page once said, in an old print interview, that he worked on so many recording sessions he can't even remember who he played lead guitar for, but he did say that many of the songs were hits.

I have a Page two LP set called 'Session Man' or something like that, it's a compilation of the most famous songs he's played on when he was doing session work. It's somewhere in my apartment. I have over 5000 LPs, I can't look for it now!

by Anonymousreply 12210/02/2013

I heard Page played the lead solo on "Disco Duck" and "Muskrat Love"

by Anonymousreply 12310/02/2013

Bands like Led Zeppelin, Moody Blues, Pink Floyd, Jimmy Hendrix, Janis Joplin, and The Who were all in the art of music. They all produced and recorded legendary songs that are still beloved and heard today on the airwaves. That being said, these musicians took their music seriously and it was a time when bands were interested in the art of music rather than being the biggest, most obnoxious cheese food product that is regurgitated on us every day.

Zeppelin is legendary and the fact that we are still talking about them today says something about their impact on our music culture, love them or not. My favorite albums are Led Zeppelin II and Led Zeppelin III. Stairway to Heaven is the ultimate rock song. I also have the same passion and love for Gimme Shelter by the Rolling Stones.

by Anonymousreply 12410/02/2013

I like R124. You spoke my thoughts almost verbatim.

by Anonymousreply 12510/02/2013

Agree with r124

by Anonymousreply 12610/02/2013

I like How Many More Times, I'm Gonna Crawl, When The Levee Breaks, Rock and Roll, In The Evening, Hey Hey What Can I Do, The Lemon Song, The Rain Song & Black Dog. I may have missed a few, but those are great songs. Loved Robert Plant's voice, John Bonham's drumming and Jimmy Page's guitar, they are one of the great bands of all time. HATED Stairway to Heaven though.

R80 sounds exactly like me. I listened to everything and loved it.

by Anonymousreply 12710/02/2013

by Anonymousreply 12810/02/2013

Ditto, R124.

by Anonymousreply 12910/02/2013

Ten Years Gone was their best and most under appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 13010/02/2013

"Ten Years Gone"

Then as it was, then again it will be An' though the course may change sometimes Rivers always reach the sea Blind stars of fortune, each have several rays On the wings of maybe, down in birds of prey Kind of makes me feel sometimes, didn't have to grow But as the eagle leaves the nest, it's got so far to go

Changes fill my time, baby, that's alright with me In the midst I think of you, and how it used to be

Did you ever really need somebody, And really need 'em bad Did you ever really want somebody, The best love you ever had Do you ever remember me, baby, did it feel so good 'Cause it was just the first time, And you knew you would

Through the eyes an' I sparkle, Senses growing keen Taste your love along the way, See your feathers preen Kind of makes makes me feel sometimes, Didn't have to grow We are eagles of one nest, The nest is in our soul

Vixen in my dreams, with great surprise to me Never thought I'd see your face the way it used to be Oh darlin', oh darlin'

I'm never gonna leave you. I never gonna leave Holdin' on, ten years gone Ten years gone, holdin' on, ten years gone

by Anonymousreply 13110/02/2013

R131 I fucking LOVE that song. It's my favorite Zep song too.

by Anonymousreply 13210/02/2013

It's not a competition, toots at R75. You either like the song or you don't.

by Anonymousreply 13310/02/2013

That's a myth r131, about that song and who it was written for.

A great song though.

by Anonymousreply 13410/02/2013

R133 I'm the Queen of Light who took her bow And then she turned to go...

by Anonymousreply 13510/02/2013

I am so proud to see so many responses on this Led Zeppelin thread. I sometimes lose almost all faith in my gay brethren when I see all of those same moldy old Britney, Cher, Babs, Madonna, Janet, etc. threads. There's nothing wrong with liking those screechy old cows, but it sure is nice to be reminded that we're not all a bunch of "diva queens." It makes me think there's hope for us homos yet. LOL.

Long live the Zep!

by Anonymousreply 13610/02/2013

You missed one.

Led Zepplin can't hold a candle to this.

by Anonymousreply 13710/02/2013

I want to hang out with R136.

by Anonymousreply 13810/02/2013

My parents grew up in the '60s/'70s so that music was always an important part of my youth. While the other kids my age were listening to New Kids On The Cock and Milli Vanilli, I was jamming to Led Zeppelin, Queen, Van Halen, The Who, AC/DC, Sabbath, Rush, Cheap Trick, Aerosmith, Alice Cooper, Thin Lizzy, Deep Purple, etc.

I am 31 now and my favorite era of music is still the '60s and '70s (plus a little bit of '50s with Elvis, Jerry Lee, Little Richard and Chuck Berry). My favorite all-time song is "Stairway to Heaven."

by Anonymousreply 13910/02/2013

R137, You are one cool Lesbian truck driver. The Allman Brothers jammed. They were an awesome hard blues rock band. I loathe most Southern Rock, but the Allmans were a cut above the rest. I still prefer the Zep, but The Allmans rock and Whipping Post is badass, baby. Rock on!

by Anonymousreply 14010/02/2013

My two favorite songs of all time are "Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin and "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen. Somehow I think that without "Stairway" there never would have never been a "Bo Rhap." At any rate, those are my two desert island songs. As many times as I have heard them over the decades I have never tired of them.

by Anonymousreply 14110/02/2013

R137, that Allman Brothers song is incredible. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 14210/02/2013

"When the Levee Breaks" is perfect to listen to while driving on a November morning, before the sun comes up. Ominous but heartening at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 14310/02/2013

Hey now, it's totally okay to bring up Nirvana in a best rock song ever thread. Just at it is to bring up The Who, The Stones, Pink Floyd, etc. A legendary band doesn't have to have been formed in the 60s.

by Anonymousreply 14410/02/2013

I want to hang out with R136 too and R139. I thought I was the only gay guy who loves rock. I feel better now :)

by Anonymousreply 14510/02/2013

What about Moby Dick dick dick...

by Anonymousreply 14610/02/2013

The ultimate album for fucking is "Led Zeppelin III". I learned that as a teen in the early '70s. Put on "Led Zep III" and bang the night away. It still does the trick for me.

by Anonymousreply 14710/02/2013

R146, "I ain't believin' that shit about Bonham's one-hour drum solo. One hour on drums? You couldn't handle that shit on strong acid."

by Anonymousreply 14810/02/2013

Funny you should say that, R147. I received my first blowjob (from a dude) in the fall of 1970 in the front seat of my buddy's VW Bug, during lunch hour, in the high school parking lot, while a hard rain poured and the Led Zeppelin III 8-track played in the background. The windows were fogged and that was the hottest experience of my then 15-year old life.

My Gallows Pole was feeling mighty fine that afternoon. It was truly a Celebration Day. I was thankful to have Friends like that.

by Anonymousreply 14910/03/2013

R149 LOL lucky you. I had my first gay encounter in a car as well. I wish it had been to 'Led Zeppelin III' - but no, it was to the cassette of Wham's 'Make It Big' (which I hated. It was my friend's tape). Oh, well, it was 1985, after all.

by Anonymousreply 15010/03/2013

Stairway To Heaven was my favorite song for many years. I finally burned out on it. Familiarity eventually breeds contempt. In the last ten years I have been able to enjoy it again.

Note: one of the main reasons I fell so hard for Zeppelin in my youth was BECAUSE Rolling Stone Magazine hated them. I thought Rolling Stone was a burned out hippie rag. When they raved about an act (Springsteen, Grateful Dead, Lou Reed), I tended not to like them. When they hated an act (Zeppelin, Kiss, Deep Purple, Grand Funk), I happened to love them. I can't believe that rag still exists.

by Anonymousreply 15110/03/2013

I loved "Stairway to Heaven" and Led Zeppelin until one evening when the band fucked me with a mudshark at the Riot House in L.A. - after that, I was done with them. I ran out into the street and called my favorite old actor, Danny Thomas. He took me in and gave me hot cocoa and Ex-Lax. Then I gave him my own "hot cocoa" a little later on his beautiful glass coffee table. Ahh, the good old days.

by Anonymousreply 15210/03/2013

R152, OMG! LOL!!!

by Anonymousreply 15310/03/2013

I still want a pair of those bitchen satin dragon bellbottoms Pagey rocked in "The Song Remains The Same." I could rock those mother fuckers.

by Anonymousreply 15410/03/2013

I love Stairway and Led Zeppelin. Jimmy Page and I go way back.

by Anonymousreply 15510/03/2013

Did you people who fucked to "Stairway to Heaven" all go to Ridgemont High or something?

by Anonymousreply 15610/03/2013

I can honestly say that the guitar solo (just before the "and as we wind on down the road" part) is the greatest I have ever heard. It gives me chills every time.

by Anonymousreply 15710/03/2013

Like R151, I kinda got burned out on it. And then at the Kennedy Center Honors, when Led Zeppelin was inducted, Heart covered the shit out of that song and I fell in love with it again. But now I mostly listen to their version.

by Anonymousreply 15810/03/2013

R156 - "All right, now pay attention. First of all, Rat, you never let on how much you like a girl. 'Oh, Debbie. Hi.' Two, you always call the shots. 'Kiss me. You won't regret it.' Now three, act like wherever you are, that's the place to be. 'Isn't this great?' Four, when ordering food, you find out what she wants, then order for the both of ya. It's a classy move. 'Now, the lady will have the linguini and white clam sauce, and a Coke with no ice.' And five, now this is the most important, Rat. When it comes down to making out, whenever possible, put on side one of Led Zeppelin IV."

(Poor Rat didn't listen very hard, in the next scene he played Kashmir from Physical Graffiti).

by Anonymousreply 15910/03/2013

Doesn't anybody ever fucking knock anymore??

by Anonymousreply 16010/03/2013

R158 Heart also did rip-roaring versions of "Rock And Roll" (on "Greatest Hits/Live") and "Battle Of Evermore."

More trivia: Heart borrowed the main riff of Led Zeppelin's 1976 classic "Achilles Last Stand" for their own 1977 hit "Barracuda."

by Anonymousreply 16110/03/2013

Led Zeppelin's "Stairway to Heaven" was never released as a single in the U.S. - Top 40 radio stations were inundated with calls requesting the song, so program managers had to run out to the record stores, buy the LP and play the song to satisfy their listeners.

If "Stairway" had actually been released as a single, it would have, undoubtedly, been the #1 selling single of the decade of the 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 16210/03/2013

Hey, Hey Momma, said the way you move. Gonna make you sweat, gonna make you groove.

by Anonymousreply 16310/03/2013

I always find "Stairway to Heaven" sounds like an enactment of constipation.

by Anonymousreply 16410/03/2013

From a young person's perspective (I'm 18), I like Led Zeppelin but I think Journey was better. I would love to hear what Journey could have done with Stairway To Heaven.

by Anonymousreply 16510/03/2013

R165 God forbid!!!

by Anonymousreply 16610/03/2013

Back in my stoner days, I preferred the live version of "No Quarter" to "Stairway." Now I appreciate both equally.

by Anonymousreply 16710/03/2013

When my time comes, I want to be buried clutching my ancient vinyl copy of Led Zeppelin IV. If there is an afterlife, I want to ensure that I will get the eternal party started off right!

Though after this life I will probably be taking AC/DC's proverbial "Highway To Hell" instead of Led Zeppelin's "Stairway To Heaven" after the wild life I have lived. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 16810/03/2013

R168 Wouldn't it be a bitch if you take your record, but the afterlife has no turntable?

I guess you could get Robert, Jimmy, John Paul and John to play it for you live (or dead, as it were).

by Anonymousreply 16910/03/2013

[quote] For the people posting the Kink's info, I NEVER posted that Page played lead on "You Really Got Me".

Page didn't play lead guitar on ANY Kinks songs. So who posted this piece of fake rock history below at R110?

[quote] Jimmy Page played LEAD GUITAR on a few of their big hits....what was that about "power chords"?

Heres "that about power chords" ---The two Kinks songs that introduced power chords to rock were "All Day and All of the Night" and "You Really Got Me." Dave Davies played lead guitar on both songs. Jimmy Page was used as a session guitarist because Dave's brother Ray Davies didn't want to record lead vocals in the studio while playing guitar. Ray played rhythm guitar; thus Jmmy Page played rhythm guitar on a few studio sessions with the Kinks.

Are you R110, who tried to get away with the long discredited -- by everyone including Jimmy Page -- junk history that Page played lead guitar on Kinks songs? Because if you are, you need to stop spreading that nonsense.

R110, you embarrass yourself.

by Anonymousreply 17010/03/2013

To those fortunate enough to have experienced Led Zep live...

How much did you pay for your tickets?

by Anonymousreply 17110/03/2013

I have always found "Stairway To Heaven" to be soothing. It relaxes me like no other song. I discovered the song when I was about seven years old (circa 2001) while going through my dad's old vinyl albums in the basement. I plugged in his old stereo and that Led Zeppelin album took me to places I had never been.

My dad ended up buying me the CD (and evenutally every Zeppelin CD) and it is still my favorite album of all time. I always thought my dad was a cool guy and finding his old classic rock albums in the basement confirmed it.

by Anonymousreply 17210/03/2013

R171 When I was 13 (1977), my older brother took me to see Zeppelin at Madison Square Garden. I still have the ticket stub. The price was $10.50 (those were, I believe, the most expensive tickets available). We had awesome seats. Still the best concert I ever saw. Queen (also 1977) was a close second.

by Anonymousreply 17310/03/2013

The lyrics came to Robert Plant in a flash of inspiration when he and Jimmy Page were sitting by the fireplace at Headley Grange with Page strumming the intro chords, which were inspired by by Spirit's song "Taurus."

Said Plant: "I was holding a pencil and paper, and for some reason I was in a very bad mood. Then all of a sudden my hand was writing out the words, 'There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold, And she's buying a stairway to heaven.' I just sat there and looked at the words and then I almost leapt out of my seat."

by Anonymousreply 17410/03/2013

Many critics trashed this song when it came out: Lester Bangs of Creem Magazine described it as "a thicket of misbegotten mush, and the British music magazine Sounds said it induced "first boredom and then catatonia."

by Anonymousreply 17510/03/2013

The shitbags at Rolling Stone magazine asked Jimmy Page how much of the guitar solo was composed before he recorded it.

He replied: "It wasn't structured at all [laughs]. I had a start. I knew where and how I was going to begin. And I just did it. There was an amplifier [in the studio] that I was trying out. It sounded good, so I thought, "OK, take a deep breath, and play." I did three takes and chose one of them. They were all different. The solo sounds constructed - and it is, sort of, but purely of the moment. For me, a solo is something where you just fly, but within the context of the song."

by Anonymousreply 17610/03/2013

There is a claim made that the intro of "Stairway to Heaven" was "borrowed" from Spirit's instrumental "Taurus". On the other hand, there is evidence that Spirit themselves nicked their song from Davey Graham's acoustic version of "Cry Me a River". Graham's song was issued in 1958, ten years before "Taurus" came out. It is quite clear that large sections of "Taurus" were taken from Graham's song without credit.

by Anonymousreply 17710/03/2013

[quote]How much did you pay for your tickets?

Los Angeles, 1977

$9.75, $8.75, $7.75

Using official government inflation calculator, those prices translate to: $37.63, $33.77, $29.91 today. CHEAP!

This is a full page ad from the LA Times, the concert dates were later rescheduled to late June.

by Anonymousreply 17810/03/2013

I have had to call in sick for the last four days. The doctor says I have a "bustle in my hedgerow." God, I hope my H.M.O. pays for the therapy.

by Anonymousreply 17910/03/2013

I'm sorry to break this to you bitches, but Madonna OWNS Led Zeppelin and their ilk a million times over. It is proven by her album and single sales and her long career. Fuck Led Zeppelin! Madonna rules the world!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 18010/03/2013

R180 Fuck you! Fuck you RIGHT IN THE ASS! Don't bring up that disco twat in a Zeppelin thread. Actually, Zeppelin by far owns her in album sales. Singles sales? She wins, but only because Zep wasn't a singles type of band. They were album rock.

by Anonymousreply 18110/03/2013

There are allegations that there's a hidden message in the song "Stairway To Heaven." According to these allegations, if you play this song backwards you should hear a "Satanic Message."

There are several versions of this presumed message, the most of which is "Oh here's to my sweet Satan. The one whose little path would make me sad, whose power is Satan. He'll give you 666. There was a little toolshed where he made us suffer, sad Satan."

The band generally ignored these allegations. However, Robert Plant asserted that "as far as reversing tapes and putting messages on the end, that's not my idea of making music."

Plant also accused people promoting such allegations of trying to make money out of it.

by Anonymousreply 18210/03/2013

According to the RIAA, "Led Zeppelin IV" (the album that contains "Stairway to Heaven") is the #3 best-selling album of all time, with 23+ million copies sold in the United States alone.

by Anonymousreply 18310/03/2013

Led Zeppelin has been awarded FIVE Diamond albums, as well as FOURTEEN Multi-Platinum, FOUR Platinum and ONE Gold album in the United States, while in the UK they have FIVE Multi-Platinum, SIX Platinum, ONE Gold and FOUR Silver albums.

by Anonymousreply 18410/03/2013

According to Recording Industry Association of America Led Zeppelin song "Stairway to Heaven" is considered the greatest classic rock song of all time.

by Anonymousreply 18510/03/2013

Led Zeppelin = One of only two acts who have had five Diamond certified (sales of over 10 million) albums in the U.S. - the other act was The Beatles!

by Anonymousreply 18610/03/2013

Atlantic Records pressured the band to edit “Stairway To Heaven” down to a more traditionally radio-friendly length for the November 1971 release of Zoso/IV, so it could be pitched to programmers as a conventional single. But Led Zeppelin were staunch in their refusal. “Stairway To Heaven” was a fully realized work of art, they contended, so Atlantic had to be content with servicing radio with an EP — an amazing EP. Side A was “Stairway”; side B was “Black Dog” paired with “Rock And Roll.”

As of the year 2000, “Stairway To Heaven” had scored more than three million radio plays and remains the most popular piece of sheet music in rock, selling 15,000 copies annually.

by Anonymousreply 18710/03/2013

A truly beautiful song. Not necessarily their best, but still amazing.

by Anonymousreply 18810/03/2013

R181? R180 was trolling. You fell right into it. Hope you feel stupid now.

by Anonymousreply 18910/03/2013

RIAA's Top Eleven Selling Albums in the U.S.

The Eagles - Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975 - 1976 - (29,000,000 copies) Michael Jackson - Thriller - 1982 - (29,000,000 copies) Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV - 1971 - (23,000,000 copies) Pink Floyd - The Wall - 1979 - (22,500,000 copies - 2 albums x 2) AC/DC - Back In Black - 1980 - (22,000,000 copies) Billy Joel - Greatest Hits - 1985 - (22,000,000 copies - 2 albums x 2) Garth Brooks - Double Live - 1998 - (21,000,000 copies) Shania Twain - Come On Over - 1997 - (20,000,000 copies) Fleetwood Mac - Rumours - 1977 - (19,000,000 copies) The Beatles - The Beatles (White Album) - 1968 - (19,000,000 copies) Guns N' Roses - Appetite For Destruction - 1987 - (18,000,000 copies)

by Anonymousreply 19010/03/2013

Don't be so harsh R189. R181 just killed himself from the shame and guilt. Rest in pieces, R181.

by Anonymousreply 19110/03/2013

Michael Jackson and The Eagles have the two best selling albums of all time? Fuck. The rest of the list is pretty grim too. Only 3 albums on that list would I listen to.

by Anonymousreply 19210/03/2013

So, who was better? Led Zeppelin or Def Leppard?

by Anonymousreply 19310/03/2013

R193, Def Leppard was not fit to lick the skidmarks out of Led Zeppelin's undies. Def Leppard blew chunks!

by Anonymousreply 19410/03/2013

Love the O'Jays "Stairway to Heaven"

by Anonymousreply 19510/03/2013

R61 has a bustle in her hedgerow. And probably a whalebone corset or two.. Acid rock? Do you refer to jazz as "race music"? Gads.

Zep was never acid rock. That was pretty much a late-sixties phenom, and typified by heavily organ-driven bands like Iron Butterfly or Vanilla Fudge, and it went out of style P.D.Q. Zep took rock's clichés and turned them inside-out. They embraced the entire "world" music thing long before Paul Simon or Peter Gabriel gave it a bad name (and worse music).

I wasn't a big fan of disco, but a great deal of it has held up well through the years. I like it more now than I did then. I'd say it sounds better than almost anything from today does, but I don't want to sound like my parents.

by Anonymousreply 19610/03/2013

The band has sold over 300 million albums worldwide, including 111.5 million certified units in the United States.

by Anonymousreply 19710/03/2013

[quote]More trivia: Heart borrowed the main riff of Led Zeppelin's 1976 classic "Achilles Last Stand" for their own 1977 hit "Barracuda."

Jimmy Page was quoted as saying that riff was the best Zeppelin riff he never did. Always loved how the LZ boys appreciated and supported the Wilsons over the years. A lot of mutual respect there, it was so fitting they sang at the Kennedy Ctr honors show.

And for those arguing about LZ vs disco - LZ were probably the most funky/R&B-influenced of all the classic hard rock bands. Tunes like The Crunge and Trampled Underfoot were practically dance riffs.

by Anonymousreply 19810/03/2013

Did Rolling Stone ever change its "we hate LZ" stance? They should've.

by Anonymousreply 19910/03/2013

They've featured band members on the cover since the 70s/80s and featured interviews with them, so maybe the dislike died down.

Jimmy, Robert, etc were never close with Wenner and his crowd, who got the most preferential treatment in the mag. That was reserved for Henley and the Eagles, Billy Joel, Jackson Browne, etc.

by Anonymousreply 20010/03/2013

Ah ok, thanks for that info R200.

[quote]Henley and the Eagles, Billy Joel, Jackson Browne, etc.

I can say that I only like a handful of songs by those folks, maybe less than a handful. Zeppelin was much better.

by Anonymousreply 20110/03/2013

by Anonymousreply 20210/03/2013

Back in the day I would have squeezed Plant's lemon 'til the juice ran down his leg...

by Anonymousreply 20310/03/2013

I wish I had been born in the '60s so I could have experienced all that great music first hand. I listen to the classic rock of the '60s and '70s more than anything else. I was born in the '90s and I like some of today's stuff (Tool, Muse, Metallica, Mastodon, Rammstein), but the older stuff is what really gets my blood pumping. Thanks to my 48 year old dad for introducing me to all the classics like Zeppelin.

by Anonymousreply 20410/03/2013

R204 The Seventies were the peak of music, in my humble opinion.

Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, Cheap Trick, Alice Cooper, Boston, Black Sabbath, The Kinks, Rush, Ac/Dc, Queen, Deep Purple, ELO, The Who, Thin Lizzy, Styx, Heart, Kansas, Mountain, Montrose, Kiss, Ramones, Sex Pistols, David Bowie, Edgar Winter Group, Fleetwood Mac, Uriah Heep, Van Halen, Bee Gees, Kool & The Gang, Budgie, Flamin' Groovies, UFO, Scorpions, ABBA, Grand Funk, KC & The Sunshine Band, Donna Summer, Judas Priest, Ted Nugent, Free, T. Rex, Humble Pie, Sweet, Slade, Starz, Foreigner, REO Speedwagon, Yes, The Strawbs, ELP, Journey, Triumph, Allman Bros, Devo, Blondie, Police, B-52's, The Cars, McCartney & Wings, John Lennon, George Harrison, The Knack, Rainbow, Parliament, Funkadelic, Rick James, The Doors, The Stooges, Cactus, Peter Frampton, Robin Trower, The Eagles, Linda Ronstadt and thousands more!

by Anonymousreply 20510/03/2013

I still remember the night my older brothers and my cousin took me to see Zeppelin's movie, "The Song Remains the Same." It was a freezing cold night in December of 1976 at a drive-in theater. We froze our balls off, but it was worth the pain.

My brother had to keep cranking the car to turn on the heater, and the windows kept fogging up. We were parked on the front row and it was the closest I got to seeing Led Zeppelin live until 1995, when I saw Robert Plant & Jimmy Page together in concert.

by Anonymousreply 20610/03/2013

R206 I love the live version of "Stairway To Heaven" from "The Song Remains The Same" - to me it's the definitive version. I also prefer the movie versions of "No Quarter", "The Rain Song", "The Song Remains The Same" and "Whole Lotta Love" to the original studio versions. Maybe because the first LED ZEPPELIN album I ever bought was the soundtrack to the film (I was eleven when that movie came out).

by Anonymousreply 20710/03/2013

Robert Plant always pinged to high heaven for me in "The Song Remains The Same." Especially during "Stairway to Heaven." His hand gestures and hands-on-hips stance just screamed "family" to me. I've never heard any gay or bi stories about him, but he could sure pass for one of us if he's not.

by Anonymousreply 20810/03/2013

R208 He sure worked that tambourine though. I think he looked great in those hiphugging bellbottoms and open blouse. I always loved the little white doves he painted on the crotch of his jeans to accentuate his bulge. LOL. Very sexy.

by Anonymousreply 20910/03/2013

As a teen in 1973, I fantasized about having a threesome with Robert Plant and Elvis Presley (his Aloha From Hawaii era). I pulled tongue many nights with that fantasy playing in my perverted mind. LOL.

Of course, my other threesome fantasy involved Lee Majors (from the TV show The Six Million Dollar Man) and Randolph Mantooth (from the TV show Emergency!).

After my first (and only) real threesome (which wasn't all that), I realized I prefer one-on-one action. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 21010/04/2013

Ahh, the Seventies! When rock stars LOOKED like rock stars.

by Anonymousreply 21110/04/2013

All the comments about "The Song Remains The Same" made me whip out the DVD ("Stairway" does indeed rule in the live version). Since my job is on hold, due to government furlough, I have all the time in the world to watch movies. Damn, I love "The Song Remains The Same." I think next I'll pop in "Ladies & Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones" or "Good To See You Again, Alice Cooper." Rock and Roll!

by Anonymousreply 21210/04/2013

R212, I'll pick up a couple of six-packs and I'll be right over. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 21310/04/2013

At our Senior Prom in April of 1982 the hokey band who was scheduled to play cancelled at the last minute, so we were left playing records. I brought in a stack of my personal vinyl and at one point I put on "Led Zeppelin IV" - it was the crowd-pleaser of the night. It was kind of surreal seeing couples dancing to "Battle Of Evermore", "Stairway To Heaven" and "When The Levee Breaks." It worked, though.

by Anonymousreply 21410/04/2013

When Ann & Nancy Wilson of Heart performed "Stairway To Heaven" in front of the three remaining members of the Led Zeppelin at the Kennedy Center Honors ceremony on Dec. 2, 2012 it brought Robert Plant to tears (of joy).

by Anonymousreply 21610/04/2013

If only Led Zeppelin and Heart had mated and had a baby, it would have created musical Heaven on Earth! That would have been one talented baby, I tell you.

by Anonymousreply 21710/04/2013

Back when my younger brother and I were teens in the '70s, we always called Heart "Led Zeppelin with tits." That was a compliment.

by Anonymousreply 21810/04/2013

by Anonymousreply 21910/04/2013

While it may seem unlikely, country music queen Dolly Parton is big fan of Led Zeppelin and their hit “Stairway to Heaven,” going so far as to record a cover of the classic rock song, with the blessing of the band, in 2002. Back in 1975, though, she released “We Used To,” which seemingly directly lifted the lead chord progression from “Stairway To Heaven.”

by Anonymousreply 22010/04/2013

I did some session work for a couple of Dolly's albums - she is the epitome of a class act. What you see on TV is what you get in person. A true gem. I met Robert Plant in Austin, Texas a couple of years back - a very intelligent and kind man. We knew some people in common (from the music industry) so it gave us a lot to talk about.

Most musicians and celebs I have worked with are so self-centered and arrogant that I can't stand to be around them. Dolly and Robert (especially Dolly) are the real deal.

by Anonymousreply 22210/04/2013

R222 - I'm jealous.

by Anonymousreply 22310/04/2013

I listen to classic rock radio in my cubicle and about an hour ago they played "Stairway to Heaven." This obnoxious, bitchy frau that I loathe with a passion walked by and pithily commented, "I hate that satanic drivel. That crap ought to be banned." Yes! Another reason to hate her (she sits in her cubical listening to Air Supply, Michael Bolton and Michael Buble all day - yuck!).

by Anonymousreply 22410/04/2013

I saw Led Zeppelin many times, the earliest gig was at the former World's fair grounds in Queens, at a venue called the Singer Bowl.

The jam at the end of the concert featured Jeff Beck and some members of Jethro Tull. I remember Page wore a wool ZOFO short sleeved sweater.

The next gigs, which stood out were seeing them about three times in one week at Madison Square Garden in 1973 and the the 1977 gigs also at Madison Square Garden. I saw them three or four times that week.

I had tickets for an upstate gig during the 77 tour, which was canceled because Plant's son died of some mysterious illness back in England.

I would always photograph most concerts. Those were the days when security didn't give a shit about cameras, they were more interested in stopping people with bottles of alcohol and cans of beer!

I got some awesome shots of Zeppelin over the years, I later became a concert photographer.

Tickets prices? I don't remember, I'd have to check my old stubs, but they were certainly very affordable, even for a person with a small allowance who had to buy clothes and art supplies with that allowance.

Ticket prices today are absurd. In fact, the scalper prices years ago were super low by today's standards!

I also saw many concerts in Central Park, at the skating rink which was used for concerts in the Summer, those tickets were only about $2.00!

by Anonymousreply 22510/04/2013

When I was a kid, I was terrified of that creepy old man with the lantern on top of the mountain on the inner sleeve of the LP jacket. For some reason it freaked my ass out.

by Anonymousreply 22610/04/2013

I always preferred Springsteen, Talking Heads and The Police. I always considered Led Zeppelin to be a hippie band. I like a few songs but I hate Stairway to Heaven.

by Anonymousreply 22710/04/2013

R227 I liked a bit of Springsteen and a few Police songs, but I never understood the appeal of the Talking Heads. I thought they sucked.

by Anonymousreply 22810/04/2013

For the longest time, I couldn’t determine what was being sung. I thought that the line “And as we wind on down the road … ” was “And every wino on the road, were doing something with a toad.” It’s certainly not my favorite Zeppelin song. I find myself drumming my fingers to it in a fast-food place as I would with practically any other song. I just think the song is way too long and has been played way too much. How about stations playing songs every once in awhile like “Misty Mountain Hop?”

by Anonymousreply 22910/04/2013

I agree with the poster who said Chicago was a better band than Led Zeppelin 100%. I will go on record saying that "Saturday In The Park", "Color My World", "If You Leave Me Now" and "25 or 6 to 4" totatlly own anything Led Zeppelin ever did. Chicago was the best band I ever saw live. in my opinion, Led Zeppelin was music for 14 year old pot heads, while Chicago was like a fine champagne for classy adults. Just my opinion...

by Anonymousreply 23010/04/2013

Oh, gosh, R230, you really think so? I look at it this way -- I listen to Chicago now and it sounds so dated. And yet Led Zeppelin sounds modern. I think that's a pretty sure sign Chicago is kitsch.

by Anonymousreply 23110/04/2013

R230, Ewwww! I never liked Chicago. I always thought they were pussies.

by Anonymousreply 23210/04/2013

Led Zep is for people who can still get it up, get laid and live life to the fullest. Chicago is for those who go to bed at 9pm, take fiber supplements and need Viagra.

Both groups had talent, but only Chicago is played on easy listening stations...enough said!

by Anonymousreply 23310/04/2013

R230, What R231 said. Chicago's music did NOT stand the test of time. I hear their music and I cringe. I never cared for them at all. Color My World used to depress the shit out of me when it was popular (circa 1971). Actually, the reason I never liked them was because all of their songs depressed me. I disagree with you. LED ZEPPELIN owned Chicago a billion times over.

by Anonymousreply 23410/04/2013

I love R233. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 23510/04/2013

Chicago = AM Radio

Zeppelin = FM

by Anonymousreply 23610/04/2013

R230 smells like mothballs and death.

by Anonymousreply 23710/04/2013

It was one of those songs that got CONSTANT airplay. It just saturated top forty and progressive rock radio. "Nights in White Satin" was like that, and, oh, God, "Smoke on the Water." I remember flipping the car radio dial one day and four or five FM stations at the same time were in the process of playing "Smoke on the Water."

by Anonymousreply 23810/04/2013

How could I forget this, on the DL "Hollywood Witches" thread, someone posted that 'Stairway to Heaven" was about actressTuesday Weld. Weld was a witch blah, blah, blah

Of course, the poster had to link Page's interest in the occult to that song, even though Plant wrote the lyrics!

Page, rarely, if ever, talked about Aleister Crowley and his involvement in the occult. He did talk about it years later, after he sold Crowley's house in Loch Ness and long after he sold his London occult bookstore. He also talked about his interest in Pre-Raphaelite art and architecture.

Zeppelin rarely talked about their personal lives in interviews, that was another part of their appeal.

Most of the rumors were never acknowledged or denied, which made the band even more mysterious and appealing.

by Anonymousreply 23910/04/2013

I don't think anyone in the band even knew Tuesday Weld. Could be wrong, Jimmy has some Hollywood connections over the years, but not many.

Page is still into occult matters, but has a more mature and adult outlook on them these days. I know he's into astrology, but how much he's still into Crowley is questionable. Some of the crazy obsessiveness with the occult diminished after he got out of the heavy drug scene and kicked his habits.

More has become known about the band and their lives as time's gone on. Still though one of the most private of the big classic groups, perhaps after Pink Floyd.

by Anonymousreply 24010/04/2013

The old man with the lantern at the top of a hill is The Hermit from the major arcana in the Tarot.

by Anonymousreply 24110/04/2013

My younger brother had that gigantic, big-ass poster of that, R241.

by Anonymousreply 24210/04/2013

When I was a freshman in high school (1979-80) my little sister (2 years younger) started going to church with her best friend. She came home one Sunday afternoon, knocked on my bedroom door and said softly and with a great deal of concern, "Kyle, you're gonna have to burn all your rock albums. The preacher was telling us about all these devil-worshipping bands and you have records by all of them. Led Zeppelin is the worst one. They actually sold their souls to Satan."

A little tear rolled down her face and she continued, "Please Kyle, I don't want the devil to get your soul." She then told me that the church was going to have a record burning and she wanted to take my albums. I comforted her by telling her that I had all my records blessed by a minister and the devil was scared out of my copies of those albums. Needless to say, I started locking my bedroom door when I would leave. I feared that she would take it upon herself to rid me of my "evil" albums. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 24310/04/2013

I'll bet you were glad when she grew out of that phase, R243.

by Anonymousreply 24410/04/2013

R244 - Unfortunately, she never grew out of that phase. She is still a religious fanatic at the age of 46. She is the only family member that "disowned" me when I came out as gay in 1983. The only time I see her is at my parent's house on holidays. She and I say hello to each other but that's about it, no hugs, no catching up, no conversations.

She is very snotty and self-righteous. Her children were always told to keep their distance from me. I hardly knew/know her four children. My parents love her but they know she's a whack-job. Her husband is a fanatical dick too. My other brother and sister are cool as hell. She has made her judgments about their lives too.

by Anonymousreply 24510/04/2013

Weird. I'm listening to Stairway to Heaven right now. I just opened DL for the first time in about two months and the first thread I saw... "Stairway to Heaven" --- cool.

by Anonymousreply 24610/04/2013

Elvis Presley loved Led Zeppelin's "Stairway to Heaven." He told them that when they met in 1974.

by Anonymousreply 24810/04/2013

From their 1973 Madison Sq. Garden concert (r225 was there) and the 1976 film and live album.

by Anonymousreply 24910/04/2013

You're welcome, r246.

by Anonymousreply 25010/04/2013

R249 Thank you. I was just about to link to that exact video. Great minds think alike.

That version of the song gives my goosebumps goosebumps! So beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 25110/04/2013

I just watched the live clip of Stairway that R249 posted. That was magnificent! I prefer that version to the LP version. I had forgotten how cute Jimmy Page was back then - a little too thin, but cute as hell. That cameraman was dead-set on focusing on Plant's crotchular area, wasn't he? Damn, that thing was in my face for nearly the entire 10+ minutes (not that I'm complaining).

Actually, all four of the guys were fairly attractive at that point. This was a couple of years before Pagey discovered heroin and turned into the Cryptkeeper, and just before Bonzo ballooned up and became Moby Dick. They were quite attractive, considering most rockers of that era were FUG, save Peter Frampton and a couple of others.

by Anonymousreply 25210/04/2013

A million thanx for that live clip R249. I was too lazy to go look for it myself, LoL. Brilliant!!!

by Anonymousreply 25310/04/2013

"The Song Remains the Same" is one of only three movies that I have seen over 150 times in my lifetime. The other two are "Airplane!" and "The Good, The Bad & The Ugly." I've heard some movie and music critics bash the film over the years, but I think it is fucking awesome in every conceivable way. "Stairway To Heaven", "No Quarter", and "Whole Lotta Love" just take on new life in the film.

by Anonymousreply 25410/04/2013

As many times as have heard 'Stairway to Heaven' in the last 42 years, I have still never tired of it. I guess I can understand why other people have OD'ed on it, but I never will. There were a handful of songs of that era that were overplayed (Hotel California, Slow Ride, Free Bird, Paranoid, You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet, Takin' Care Of Business), but 'Stairway' is the one that never burned me out.

by Anonymousreply 25510/04/2013

Holy crap! I think I just shit my pants from shock. A music thread on DataLounge that is not about Judy, Liza, Barbra, Madonna, Cher, Janet Jackson, or Lady Gaga that gets over 250 responses. Not only is it NOT about any of those skanks, it's about a real, true rock and roll band. I'm so happy, think I'll join a band. It's a Celebration Day! I'll be back, I have to go wash up. This is shocking. Good shocking.

by Anonymousreply 25610/04/2013

That band was breathtaking. Every member of the group was a master of his instrument. They were the ultimate rock band of their era. We'll never see another band like Led Zeppelin, The Beatles or The Stones again.

by Anonymousreply 25710/04/2013

[quote] Holy crap! I think I just shit my pants from shock. A music thread on DataLounge that is not about Judy, Liza, Barbra, Madonna, Cher, Janet Jackson, or Lady Gaga that gets over 250 responses

We can always talk about Peggy Lee if you'd like.

by Anonymousreply 25810/04/2013

R257, What about us?

by Anonymousreply 25910/04/2013

...and you never saw Robert Plant forcing his bodyguards to carry him up the Great Wall of Fucking China like that little no-talent Bieber twat. Plant had class.

by Anonymousreply 26010/04/2013

We drove my poor parents bonkers with Led Zeppelin's music back then. We were four boys (two straight, two gay) and a sister (straight) and Zeppelin's music was a constant in our home. Mom said that the best thing about the last of the kids leaving the nest was that she and dad would never have to hear Led Zeppelin's music again.

I think Mom secretly liked "Stairway to Heaven." I used to catch her softly singing along to it while she was peeling potatoes or ironing clothes. She would never have admitted it.

by Anonymousreply 26110/04/2013

I was just watching the live clip of Stairway from The Song Remains The Same. Damn, that Robert Plant had a head o' hair, didn't he? I usually don't care for guys with long hair but he rocked that shit.

by Anonymousreply 26210/04/2013

I love the song, but I think my favourite Led Zeppelin track is That's The Way from Led Zeppelin III. I also love When The Levee Breaks and What Is And What Should Never Be.

by Anonymousreply 26310/05/2013

I wish Madonna would record a version of Stairway to Heaven. It would be fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 26410/05/2013

I was a tough boy and tears did not come easy to me but I cried on December 4th of 1980 when Led Zeppelin issued the statement that they were breaking up after John Bonham's death in September. Four days after Zeppelin issued their statement, John Lennon was murdered by that psycho asshole in New York. My tears fell like rain again. December 1980 was a nightmare for the then 15 year old me!

by Anonymousreply 26510/05/2013

I love the live version from Earl's Court in 1975. Transcendent!

by Anonymousreply 26710/05/2013

If I weren't already gay I would go gay for Robert Plant and Jimmy Page in a heartbeat.

by Anonymousreply 26810/05/2013

Stairway to Heaven (1971) is amazing foreplay.

Achilles Last Stand (1976) is an Earth-Shattering, screaming multiple orgasm.

by Anonymousreply 26910/05/2013

I'm glad I grew up when I did. It was so great experiencing songs like "Stairway To Heaven" when they were fresh and new. All of those classic Zeppelin, Aerosmith, ZZ Top, Stones, Sabbath, Purple, Alice Cooper, Pink Floyd albums before they were over-played endlessly on rock radio. Those were the days.

by Anonymousreply 27010/05/2013

I love me some STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN.

by Anonymousreply 27110/05/2013

Best Band Ever... Best Song Ever.

by Anonymousreply 27210/05/2013

It was singled out as the greatest song of all time... because it is.

by Anonymousreply 27310/05/2013

Rock music sucks. Sorry but it does and always has. There is no art involved in standing on a stage making screechy noises. It's depressing and juvenile. It serves no purpose but to incite riots, enhance illegal drug use and cause mayhem and destruction. Not to mention how homophobic and racist it all is.

Dance, R&B, Country, Pop, even Hip Hop is all good, but rock is just terrible and always has been. Good riddance. These old dinosaurs can't die off fast enough. That crap died off in New York in the '80s. I think it's still hanging on in Flyover Hell, but once it's dead there, we're all free from it.

by Anonymousreply 27410/05/2013

R240, yes, Page began to talk about his involvement in the occult, and his deep interest in Crowley, over the years.

He later stated he got what he wanted out of practicing magic, that it "worked" for him. Still a statement like that is not revealing too much, he's still being mysterious, he never fully explained the extent he was into the occult.

At one point, he was buying objects Crowley owned, in addition to Crowley's former home in Loch Ness, Boleskine House, he was buying books owned by Crowley as well as Crowley's former possessions. He was rarely at Boleskine, in all the years he owned that house, he was there less than three months total.

Fans wonder if Page was part of an occult group, did he practice alone or with his live-in partner at the time Charlotte Martin? There were also Illuminati rumors about Page.

Page had a brief friendship with filmmaker Kenneth Anger, also a Crowley obsessive. Page was hired by Anger to compose the music for Anger's film 'Lucifer Rising".

The friendship went sour because of Page's heroin addiction disrupting his composing duties and according to Anger, Page being so cheap!

One story was about Anger staying in one of Page's home in England while Jimmy was supposed to be composing the music for "Lucifer Rising". Anger stated that Page would be off drugging somewhere, he didn't even know if he'd be back before Anger had to go back to California.

Page left Anger in the house without food and other amenities. He didn't sound like much of a host! Then again Page was still a junkie at the time.

Anger was not the first person to call Page cheap, there were stories about him trying to get bargain prices on guitar strings. For such a wealthy guy, Page is supposedly super cheap.

by Anonymousreply 27510/05/2013

Stairway in the USA but Bohemian Rhapsody was voted #1 in England if I remember correctly.

Personally, I think they are both iconic songs but I prefer BR.

by Anonymousreply 27610/05/2013

I always thought of "Bohemian Rhapsody" as a novelty song on the order of "Fish Heads" or "They're Coming to Take Me Away, Ha Ha" rather than mainstream rock. But to each his own.

by Anonymousreply 27710/05/2013

R276 Both songs were okay but Donna Summer owned both of them. Her I Feel Love, Last Dance and Hot Stuff were far better. I would also venture to say that Abba kicked both Zeppelin and Queen's arses back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 27810/05/2013

[quote]Both songs were okay but Donna Summer owned both of them. Her I Feel Love, Last Dance and Hot Stuff were far better. I would also venture to say that Abba kicked both Zeppelin and Queen's arses back in the day.

I find these types of posts so ridiculously trollish!

You are comparing THREE different genres of music: disco, Euro pop and a rock/blues band! Seriously?

There is no way you can compare a rock/blues band like Zeppelin with Donna Summer let alone ABBA, there is no comparison whatsoever.

All were great in their own way, to compare them is downright ignorant, it shows me you know little about popular music. Comparing these musician would be like comparing Caruso with Robert Plant, it cannot be done!

Did you actually listen to any rock bands?! I doubt it. You sound like a stereotypical gay man in your choice of popular music!

by Anonymousreply 27910/06/2013

Page was really into Crowley during the 70s, no question. To say he was an enthusiast is an understatement. I mean living in his house? Charlotte Martin was also a follower, but so were many others from that scene.

Like I noted upthread a lot of Jimmy’s obssessiveness re the occult (and probably other things) dissipated somewhat when he cleaned up his life.

I’m not surprised about Jimmy’s bargain haggling. Most of that generation of English rockers raised after the war knew deprivation of varying degrees, remember the UK was on rations well into the early 50s. We were relatively well off here in the U.S. The result was a lot of stinginess, even after these guys had become vastly wealthy.

Mick Jagger proudly brags in interviews that he still yells at his kids to turn off lights when they leave a room, to save resources and keep the bills down. “I grew up right after the war, they don’t remember what its like” he has said.

Angie Bowie hilariously recounted in her autobio of being out one night with some of the LZ entourage including Robert; Ron Wood was also present. Everyone had a merry old time, when the bill came Robert reached out to pay it, causing the entire table to faint from shock as he apparently NEVER paid for anything when out on the road or in a group. She noted there were three people known in the rock world to be total misers: her David, Rod Stewart – and Robert.

by Anonymousreply 28010/06/2013

Oh my!

by Anonymousreply 28110/06/2013

In 1985, New York radio station WNEW-FM 102.7 did a "Top 1027 Songs of All Time", compiled by listener votes alone. So no music critic snobbery, this was what greater NYC thought were the best songs, as of that time.

Then they played all 1027 songs in a row, from 1027 down to #1. (I remember I was parking my car at LaGuardia Airport [dropping off my sister for college? I forget] as the countdown got to #29, "Roundabout" by Yes. [Given the length of "Roundabout", I think I was able to accompany sis into the terminal, find her flight on the board, point her to the departure gate, say goodbye, and be back in the car before the song ended, but I may be misremembering that part.]) Actually, it turns out that there should have been 1029 songs played, as due to an error, the songs that got enough votes to place at #11 ("Won't Get Fooled Again" by The Who) and #18 ("Freebird", Lynyrd Skynyrd) were omitted from the original "official" list. (Oops. And I wouldn't have liked to be the intern getting all the "Where the FUCK is 'Freebird'???" calls, I'm sure.)

However, the error meant that Zep got to both open and close the show, with #"1027" (actually 1029; from here on I will list all numbers as if the two omitted songs had been included) being "In the Evening" and #1 being, of course, "Stairway to Heaven".

#2-"Born to Run", Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band #3-"Layla", Derek and the Dominos #4-"Baba O'Riley", The Who #5…wait for it…

#5-"Kashmir", Led Zeppelin

Yes, Zep was so beloved that they took two of the top 5 places in a "Best Songs of All Time" poll in the biggest city in the country. (Despite a very Springsteen-heavy, regional pride vote in the results.) In contrast, the much-beloved-in-Britain "Bohemian Rhapsody" trudged in at a pedestian #236, behind "Allison" by Elvis Costello and edging out "You're So Vain" by Carly Simon. (Queen's flat-out awful 1982 album "Hot Space" had killed off most of their American fanbase and while 1983's "The Works" had kept them going in the UK and Europe, they were a dead issue in the U.S. at this point. Probably some of this was homophobia as well, as Freddy's closet was more and more made out of glass at this point.) As for the Journey fan who posted upthread, although Steve and the boys were not far from their commercial peak, their highest posting was at #123, with "Faithfully".

Meanwhile, the Top 100 was littered with Zep songs:

#15-"Dazed and Confused" #27-"Whole Lotta Love" #42-"Rock and Roll" #50-"All of My Love" #77-"Thank You" (that's a surprise, IMO) #92-"Black Dog"

At one point I was going to do a comprehensive analysis of the list (that's why I've held onto it for 28 years, after all) but I never got around to it. Still, I would venture that Zepp has the most total songs, as well as #1. Even though I've always tended more to the opera/music hall-influenced side of rock (Who, Kinks, Queen, Deep Purple, prog bands) than the "pure" R&B types (Stones, Zepp, etc.), I admire the heck out of this accomplishment.

(Don't get me wrong, it's hardly a perfect list, being a product of its times. I mean, there are HUEY LEWIS songs on here, for fuck's sake. Bruce's "Born in the USA" album is way over-represented, and the Live Aid song "We Are The World" places at an IMO unmerited #39. But Zeppelin even benefits from this…in 1985 people were so desperate for fresh material that The Firm [Page's new band] took #65 with "Radioactive", a mostly-forgotten song, and Robert Plant's The Honeydrippers saw their cover of "Sea of Love" ensconced at #243. Kudos, I guess.)

So yes, by 1985, Led Zeppelin and "Stairway" were still the undisputed kings of Rock, by popular acclaim. As for when they reached that pinnacle, exactly, I couldn't say. Perhaps when Wings put out "Silly Love Songs", thus damaging The Beatles' brand? (Thanks a lot, Paul.)

by Anonymousreply 28210/06/2013

Is Stairway to Heaven the first "Power Ballad?"

by Anonymousreply 28310/06/2013

I was born in 1965 and I grew up on Led Zeppelin. Hearing "Stairway to Heaven" is still a religious experience for me. In the late '70s, it seemed like I was the only gay kid who didn't get into disco, divas and Abba. Zeppelin (along with BOC, Rush, Queen, Aerosmith, AC/DC, and Thin Lizzy)was what shook my musical foundations.

by Anonymousreply 28410/07/2013

R281, I love that clip of "The Ocean" - I always wondered why they didn't include it in The Song Remains The Same." I miss that era of skintight jeans and no underwear. There was really not much left to the imagination. The '90s came along and did away with tight jeans (seemingly forever). I loathe the baggy jeans look of the last 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 28510/07/2013

I was obsessed with Robert Plant for several years (NOT stalker obsessed, just a vanilla celebrity crush)...but the kicker is, I'm an old dude.

I think I was mourning the loss of my youth - as I was a teenager in the 70s.

He (and Jimmy) were beautiful in their youth - and very talented.

by Anonymousreply 28610/07/2013

In my humble opinion, "Stairway to Heaven" was the best song of the 20th Century. Zeppelin was awesome beyond words.

by Anonymousreply 28710/07/2013

This thread is just fucking awesome, and that it's on Datalounge...astonishing.

In the mood for some "Heart Full Of Soul", lots of Kinks, and the first Pretenders album right about now.

Glad to have been a young teen in the wild, unguarded no-man's-land of the mid-Seventies, after all. Who knew?

by Anonymousreply 28810/08/2013

R288 Wow! I am impressed. Someone on here knows "Heart Full Of Soul." I can die happy now. I loved the Yardbirds. I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers them. Great tune.

by Anonymousreply 28910/08/2013

My parents were huge Led Zeppelin fans when I was growing up so I am well-versed on all their songs and albums. My dad saw them live in 1975 and 1977. Lucky bastard. LOL. When I was a kid, he took me to see Page and Plant in 1998. That was awesome. I wish I had been able to see them with JPJ and Bonzo though.

"Stairway to Heaven" is definitely one of the greatest songs of all time.

by Anonymousreply 29010/08/2013

Trivia: "Stairway to Heaven" has been played so many times on the radio that it adds up to 44 years.

by Anonymousreply 29110/08/2013

“Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run. There’s still time to change the road you’re on. And it makes me wonder.”

Like several other posters have mentioned, I prefer the live version of "Stairway" on "The Song Remains The Same" soundtrack. It really kicks ass.

I was born in 1964, so Led Zep was a band that really played a huge part in my life while I was growing up. This boy would have been lost without the music of Page, Plant, Jones & Bonham. Their music really got me through my difficult teen years when I was trying to find out who I was.

by Anonymousreply 29210/08/2013

I am 18 and grew up listening to house and dance music (mostly Pink, Britney, Beyonce, etc.). I had never heard of this group or song until yesterday. I saw this thread and looked it up on YouTube. It's a really beautiful song. I will definitely be checking out more of their stuff.

I never heard much (any) classic rock. My parents listened to gospel/christian music and my siblings and friends all liked pop and dance. I can't believe I never heard of this music.

by Anonymousreply 29310/08/2013

I can remember my freshman year of high school (1979-1980) vividly. "In Through The Out Door" had been released in Aug. of '79. My friends and I were ravenously awaiting Zep's tour, we were going to be there at any cost and no matter how far we had to commute.

Zeppelin was supposed to finally kick off their U.S. Tour in October of '80 (the first half of my sophomore year). Unfortunately, Bonham died and it never happened. We were bummed, to say the least. We got to see AC/DC, Queen and Van Halen that year, but Zeppelin would have been a life-changer. Too bad that tour never happened.

by Anonymousreply 29410/08/2013

R294 You're a lesbian, aren't you?

by Anonymousreply 29510/08/2013

No, R295. I am a dude (and always have been). No "vadge" has ever touched these lips. Sorry to disappoint you. Rock on!

by Anonymousreply 29610/08/2013

I was listening to "Led Zeppelin IV" and "Stairway To Heaven" this morning on the way to work. The song actually kept me soothed in bumper to bumper traffic. I just cranked it up, sang along and arrived at the office fresh and relaxed. Thank you Led Zeppelin, for making my commute stress free.

by Anonymousreply 29710/08/2013

I have always been a Zeppelin fanatic. A few years ago, when my partner's son was about 7 years old, we were driving from Atlanta to Phoenix. I was playing Led Zeppelin II and during "Ramble On" he loudly exclaimed, "Oh, man! This song is about Lord of the Rings. He's singing about Gollum and Mordor!" I had listened to the song since 1969 (when I was 6)and had no clue.

I repeated the song and listened again. It hit me like a ton of bricks. I have never realized it was about Lord of the Rings until a 7 year old pointed it out, LOL.

I always preferred Led Zeppelin II to Led Zeppelin IV but Stairway to Heaven is a magnificent piece of art.

by Anonymousreply 29910/08/2013

Thanks everyone for such a great thread... A wonderful variety of thoughtful and heartfelt memories of your love for Led Zeppelin, rock music and Stairway to Heaven..DL at its best..

by Anonymousreply 30010/08/2013

R298, Don't feel bad about not comprehending the words to "Stairway To Heaven."

Robert Plant: “Depending on what day it is, I still interpret the song a different way - and I wrote it.”

by Anonymousreply 30110/08/2013

I graduated from high school in 1979 and "Stairway To Heaven" was our class song (that's saying something, considering 1979 was the peak of disco. I'm surprised our class song wasn't "Y.M.C.A.", "Tragedy" or "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?").

I can't think of my school years without that song being a part of it all. It was played at every party, every dance, and many nights of cruising the local strip with my buddies (several of whom are no longer with us), windows down and spirits high.

Not to mention how many times I played the song on my turntable in my reckless youth. A timeless track, one that will be remembered 500 years from now.

by Anonymousreply 30210/08/2013

I'm surprised there WASN'T a disco version of "Stairway" in the '70s. There was a disco version of Pink Floyd's "Have A Cigar" (circa '77... it was, unsurprisingly, awful). I would have been sickened, but not surprised to have seen a disco version by Ethel Merman or Rick Dees. God forbid!

by Anonymousreply 30310/08/2013

R302 I also graduated in '79. Our class song also had the word 'heaven' in it. It was 'Too Much Heaven' by the Bee Gees. I liked that song but it defintely would have been cooler with 'Stairway to Heaven' as our song.

by Anonymousreply 30410/08/2013

R304, Haha. Class of 1978 here. Our class song was Come Sail Away by Styx. Good song but Zeppelin WAS cooler.

by Anonymousreply 30510/08/2013

by Anonymousreply 30610/08/2013

Rolling Stone said:

All epic anthems must measure themselves against "Stairway to Heaven," the cornerstone of Led Zeppelin IV. The acoustic intro sounds positively Elizabethan, thanks to John Paul Jones' recorder solo and Plant's fanciful lyrics, which were partly inspired by Lewis Spence's historical tome Magic Arts in Celtic Britain.

Over eight minutes, the song morphs into a furious Page solo that storms heaven's gate.

Page said the song "crystallized the essence of the band. It had everything there and showed us at our best. It was a milestone. Every musician wants to do something of lasting quality, something which will hold up for a long time. We did it with 'Stairway.'"

by Anonymousreply 30710/08/2013

If anyone wants to know what it was like in the 70s, as a teen, watch "Almost Famous" and "Dazed and Confused".

Two great movies that capture the essence of that decade.

(Dazed & Confused has a very young Matthew McBongo as an out-of-high school young guy still liking high school girls!)

by Anonymousreply 30810/08/2013

R308 I grew up in the late '90s. I love Dazed & Confused. That movie made me realize I grew up in the wrong era. I already liked all that '70s music like Aerosmith, Black Sabbath, Kiss, Edgar Winter, Alice Cooper, etc. but that looked like such a fun era.

My dad said that movie hit it dead on and that the '70s were exactly like Dazed & Confused (he graduated from HS in 1976). He laughed and said, "I lived that movie, son." LOL. I wish I had.

I grew up on Led Zeppelin. Thanks dad.

by Anonymousreply 30910/08/2013

Stairway is not their best song IMHO. I love it but I prefer Kashmir and Achilles Last Stand. Stairway is nothing short of brilliant though.

by Anonymousreply 31010/08/2013

The song brings back so many memories. Best song ever.

I remember the first time I heard it. I was in 7th Grade (1971-72 school year) and one of my classmates was playing their portable radio out on the schoolgrounds during lunch. We all stopped our conversation and just listened in awe. Needless to say, most of us in my group wasted no time in running to the record store to get a copy of Led Zeppelin's fourth album.

by Anonymousreply 31110/08/2013

1971 produced some of the best songs ever:

Black Dog, Rock And Roll, Battle Of Evermore, Stairway To Heaven, When The Levee Breaks by Led Zeppelin.

Brown Sugar, Wild Horses, Sister Morphine, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, Bitch by The Rolling Stones.

Won't Get Fooled Again, Baba O'Riley, Behind Blue Eyes by The Who.

Bang A Gong (Get It On), Jeepster by T.Rex

I'm 18, Be My Lover, Ballad of Dwight Frye, Under My Wheels, Halo Of Flies, Killer, Desperado by Alice Cooper.

Paranoid, War Pigs, Iron Man, Children Of The Grave, Into The Void, Sweet Leaf, Lord Of This World by Black Sabbath.

Riders On The Storm, L.A. Woman by The Doors.

Fireball, No No No, Strange Kind Of Woman by Deep Purple.

Those are just a few. 1971 was the GOD of all musical years.

by Anonymousreply 31210/08/2013

R312 - Holy Shit! I didn't realize that all of those songs were from the same year. Thinking back, you're right. Damn, there was just a wealth of killer tunes back then. I'm glad I lived it.

by Anonymousreply 31310/08/2013

Robert Plant was my first gay crush. I'm sure he wouold be horrified to hear it, but I so wanted to blast a load in his mouth

by Anonymousreply 31410/08/2013

Wow, R312. I love The Who so much more than Zep. Baba O'Riley is a perfect song.

by Anonymousreply 31510/08/2013

I loved Zeppelin and The Who pretty much equally until after The Who's "Quadrophenia." After that album, The Who went to Hell in a handbasket. I hated the albums "By Numbers", "Who Are You" (except for the title track), "Face Dances" and "It's Hard." I thought those four albums were abysmal. Zeppelin maintained their quality until the end. I loved The Who passionately prior to 1975.

by Anonymousreply 31610/08/2013

R316, I agree that The Who lost there way for sure. But at their peak? I think they're the best rock band of all time. I never quite connected with Zep because I found Plant's voice grating, even while acknowledging it's a great, great voice.

by Anonymousreply 31710/08/2013

R317 - The Who's "Live at Leeds" (1970) is the best live album EVER! "Who's Next" is one of the best studio albums ever. For me it's a toss up between Zeppelin and The Who. I LOVE them both. My iPod has every Zeppelin song ever recorded on it and almost every Who song (minus a few of their late '70s/early '80s crappy songs).

by Anonymousreply 31810/08/2013

This thread has really gotten me into a Led Zeppelin mood. I have been listening to them non-stop for a week. Zeppelin is a band I have loved since my childhood in the Seventies.

by Anonymousreply 31910/08/2013

R318, you and I would be great friends. I grew up in the 90s and I think it was the best time to grow up (for rock music) outside of the early 70s. I was 13 when I bought Nevermind. From then, I slowly worked my way backwards. The Cure, The Smiths, REM, The Police, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Zep, but it was when I first heard Baba O'Riley that I lost my mind (in a good way). I was just this stupid jock kid, but hearing Daltry sing about a teenage wasteland completely changed the course of my life. Well, him and Kurt (I'm the unapologetic Kurt Cobain troll).

by Anonymousreply 32010/08/2013

Another shout out for the live version of 'Stairway To Heaven' from 'The Song Remains The Same' --- the ultimate version! More balls, more power, more bulge.

by Anonymousreply 32110/08/2013

R315 The ultimate rock and roll challenge of 1971 would have been Led Zep's "When The Levee Breaks" vs. The Who's "Baba O'Riley"... a very tough choice for me.

by Anonymousreply 32210/08/2013

I thought it was "Sprinkling" lol

by Anonymousreply 32310/08/2013

I grew up in the '70s and for many years I was burned out on Stairway to Heaven from extreme overexposure. Just recently I was able to download it and listen to it again. I can finally enjoy it for the fantastic display of art that it is again. As for The Eagles' Hotel California? Maybe I'll be able to enjoy that one again in the year 2525. Maybe.

by Anonymousreply 32410/08/2013

Anyone who claims Led Zeppelin IV or Stairway To Heaven are the best of 1971 is an idiot. I think most people would agree that the honor would go to Carole King's Tapestry album and the It's Too Late Baby single. Also what about Cher's Gyspies, Tramps & Thieves? We have short memories don't we? I guess you rocker clods did too much LSD and DDT laced marijuana to know real music. Rockers are so one dimensional it makes me sick.

by Anonymousreply 32510/08/2013

R325, If you don't like rock or rockers, then why the fuck are you reading a Led Zeppelin thread, bitch?!? Go back to your Zamfir or Michael Bolton post, bitch!

by Anonymousreply 32610/08/2013

Straight women like R325 need to stay out of this discussion.

by Anonymousreply 32710/08/2013

FRAU ALERT AT R325!!!! Datalounge prepare for decontamination procedures. Alarm will sound in 10... 9... 8... 7...

by Anonymousreply 32810/08/2013

R325, Aren't you late for the record burning and bonfire in the Baptist Church parking lot? Better scoot on along now.

by Anonymousreply 32910/08/2013

I preferred "Yo Yo" in 1971...

by Anonymousreply 33010/08/2013

Nancy Wilson of Heart was quoted when asked what her favorite Led Zeppelin song was and she replied with, "If I could write a song like "The Rain Song", I'd probably sprout wings and fly away."

by Anonymousreply 33110/08/2013

Which LZ album cover mystified you the most? For me it was "Houses of the Holy"

by Anonymousreply 33210/08/2013

"Rest now within the peace. Take of the fruit, but guard the seed." - Led Zeppelin, "Carouselambra" from In Through The Out Door, 1979

I always loved their album title "In Through The Out Door." It was totally a reference to buttsex.

by Anonymousreply 33310/08/2013

My Top 10 "Major" Rock Bands of All Time:

10. Beatles

9. REM

8. The Smiths

7. The Doors

6. The Police

5. Pink Floyd

4. Rolling Stones

3. Led Zeppelin

2. Nirvana

1. The Who

by Anonymousreply 33410/08/2013

R331, Upon us all a little rain must fall.

by Anonymousreply 33510/08/2013

I think I'm a bit older than you (I'm 48) but I like your list. Some damn good bands you've listed. I'd add Black Sabbath, Queen and early Metallica (and perhaps AC/DC) to the list but you have excellent taste. No complaints here. Rock on!

by Anonymousreply 33610/08/2013

R336, I'm 34, so yeah, a bit younger. I LOVE Black Sabbath. They'd be number 11. I like Queen, but don't love them. Too theatrical for me. Metallica never did it for me. Too heavy, I guess. Bowie is also a god to me, but he wasn't in a band, so I left him off. AC/DC reminds me of my father (not a good thing) so I hate them, but it's personal not because they don't rock.

We should get drunk and listen to Dark Side one night!

by Anonymousreply 33710/08/2013

I am so happy to see so many rockin' gay boys on this thread. I don't feel so alone now. LOL. Actually, I live in Texas. Lots of gays down here like hard rock. It still seems like the majority prefer no-name house music acts and diva disco queens. To each their own, but I like to rock and roll all nite and party every day. Zeppelin still rocks my world and Stairway to Heaven is like a drug to me (I'm assuming, since I've never used actual drugs).

by Anonymousreply 33810/08/2013

As we speak, I am watching "The Song Remains The Same" on Blu-Ray, smoking some great pot, drinking frozen margaritas and snuggling with my hot stud of a man (well, actually my sofa pillow. I'm done with men these days - like Greta Garbo, I vant to be let alone, LOL). "Stairway to Heaven" is playing at this moment and I am feeling no pain. Total relaxation. I wish I could stay this way forever.

by Anonymousreply 33910/08/2013

R339 Throw some steaks on the grill and I'll be right over, man! I'll pick up some more tequila and triple-sec. How are you on limes? LOL.

by Anonymousreply 34010/08/2013

"Does anybody remember laughter?"

by Anonymousreply 34110/08/2013

Stairway To Heaven would be my third favorite song from Led Zeppelin IV. My favorite would be When The Levee Breaks, followed closely by Going To California. Then Stairway. Love all the songs though.

by Anonymousreply 34210/08/2013

My desert island essentials.

Elvis Presley

The Beatles

The Rolling Stones

Led Zeppelin

The Who

Black Sabbath

Aerosmith ('70s material only)

by Anonymousreply 34310/08/2013

R339 The best songs from "The Song Remains the Same" (when you're baked) are "No Quarter", "Since I've Been Loving You" and "Dazed and Confused." Lie back and listen to those with your eyes closed and just drift away, buddy.

by Anonymousreply 34410/08/2013

Led Zeppelin's albums just ooze pure sexuality. I guarantee that those sonsabitches knew how to fuck. Very few acts, save Elvis Presley or The Stones, have captured the sex act in musical form like Zeppelin. Just my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 34510/08/2013

R345, Agreed. Good call on Elvis. Some of his stuff gives me a huge ass boner, just listening to it. Songs like "One Night", "It's Now Or Never", "Surrender", "Reconsider Baby", "Like A Baby", "Fever", "Such A Night", "Merry Christmas Baby" or later songs like "Suspicious Minds", "Steamroller Blues" and "Burning Love" give me a throbber that won't stop.

by Anonymousreply 34610/08/2013

R346 - "Elvis! Elvis! Leave me be. Keep that pelvis far from me!"

by Anonymousreply 34710/08/2013

R346, Don't forget one of Elvis' sexiest songs, and one of his earliest, "Baby Let's Play House." Damn! That one hits the spot.

by Anonymousreply 34810/08/2013

True, R346. Elvis Presley died 17 years before I was born but that man was fucking SEX ON A FUCKING STICK! I always laugh when I think that my biggest gay crush in life has been on a man that died nearly two decades before I existed. I was born at the wrong time. After my ideal man died and long after my favorite band (Zeppelin) broke up. I wasn't meant for these times. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 34910/08/2013

Any of you Zep fans also into Thin Lizzy? Another band that oozed sex. Phil Lynott & Scott Gorham with his long luscious locks...

Listening to "Showdown" right now...feels like a musical orgasm

by Anonymousreply 35010/08/2013

R350, I'm a Texas boy. Thin Lizzy was huge here in the '70s. I love that band and I think Phil Lynott was a goddamned poet. He was brilliant. A total genius. The rest of the guys in the band were no slouches either (Scott Gorham, Brian Robertson, Brian Downey, Gary Moore, etc.). I just finished listening to "Live & Dangerous" a couple of hours ago. Thin Lizzy is a constant on my iPod. Love 'em.

Anyone who loves Thin Lizzy is more than okay in my book!

by Anonymousreply 35110/08/2013

R346, You just jolted my memory. I'll never forget when Elvis performed "One Night" on his '68 TV Special. I was 12 years old and I swear to God I almost fainted. I had never seen a man as beautiful as he was the night in that black leather. He was jaw-droppingly gorgeous. To this day, I have never seen a man that turned me on so.

I sat on that gold shag carpeting in our living room and I had to cover my lap with a throw pillow so my parents wouldn't see that the "jig was up." I knew that night that I was a homo of epic proportions. I suspected before, but his performance of "One Night" solidified it. I was gay, no doubt about it.

Needless to say, as soon as the credits rolled, I ran to my room and tossed off a hot one with Elvis fresh on my mind.

by Anonymousreply 35210/08/2013

Did someone just mention Thin Lizzy? I loved them with a passion. "So In Love With You" is one of the most passionate songs ever written. I'll never forget the Summer of 1976, you couldn't escape "The Boys Are Back In Town" (not that I would have wanted to). That was THE song of that summer.

by Anonymousreply 35310/08/2013

R353, Excuse Me!!!!

by Anonymousreply 35410/09/2013

R354 - No, you two, excuse ME! This is a Zeppelin thread mother fuckers. What about me?

by Anonymousreply 35510/09/2013

Don't forget about me, R355. I was huge in the summer of '76 too.

by Anonymousreply 35610/09/2013

... but this is my thread assholes. Let's hear more about me, damn it.

by Anonymousreply 35710/09/2013

My beloved sister and I went to see Led Zeppelin in 1977. When they played "Stairway to Heaven", she was so overcome with emotion that she literally fainted. Luckily I caught her in time. What are brothers for? She was fortunate that I was quick enough to catch her, since I was quite impaired with vast amounts of Jack Daniel's and weed that evening.

by Anonymousreply 35810/09/2013

R350, I am impressed. Not only are you a Thin Lizzy fan, but you posted a clip from the brilliant 'Night Life' album, truly an under-rated classic (and one of my favorite album covers ever). 'Showdown' is amazing. I spent 1974/1975 cruising around South Beach, FLA. in my old Datsun pickup with the windows down and the 8-track tape of 'Night Life' blaring at top volume, laughing and cutting up with my old high school friends. Ah, to be 16 again.

by Anonymousreply 35910/09/2013

"Stairway to Heaven" is like "Smells Like Teen Spirit" or "Hotel California". I liked them when I first heard them, but now I just can't listen to them anymore without getting the hives.

by Anonymousreply 36010/09/2013

Hearing Heart's version of Stairway to Heaven for the Kennedy Center Honors was refreshingly beautiful. Seeing Plant so moved by it, moved me. I was in elementary school when that song was played over and over and over on WLS-AM in Chicago, the only big city top 40 station I could tune in on my radio station two hours away. I grew sick of the song then, but as an adult grew to appreciate the song's majesty. Oh, to be the filling in a sexy Plant and Page sandwich.

by Anonymousreply 36110/09/2013

I remember Thin Lizzy too. I loved The Cowboy Song. The best Irish band ever. Fuck Bono and U2! I had a crush on Lynott, as well as Gorham (the sole American in the group).

Other great Lizzy songs:

Don't Believe A Word

Waiting For An Alibi

Wild One

Still In Love With You

Cold Sweat

The Sun Goes Down

Hollywood (Down On Your Luck)

Do Anything You Want To Do

Bad Reputation

Soldier Of Fortune

by Anonymousreply 36210/09/2013

I love the mentions of Thin Lizzy on this Zeppelin thread. My dad and I were always very close and his two favorite bands of all time were Led Zeppelin and Thin Lizzy. He passed away a couple of years ago and there are certain songs by both acts that still give me a charge of emotion and make me think of that wonderful man who accepted me for who I was and loved me unconditionally.

Songs like Zep's Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, What Is And What Should Never Be, That's The Way, Stairway To Heaven, When The Levee Breaks, All My Love and Lizzy's Cowboy Song, Still In Love With You, Wild One, Dancing In The Moonlight, etc. Those songs always remind me of my dad, my dearest friend in the world.

My wonderful dad, Brent (1958-2011). Miss you, dude.

by Anonymousreply 36310/09/2013

R308 "Almost Famous" and "Dazed And Confused" get it right.

But "Over The Edge" (teen Matt Dillon!), ludicrous as it is, IS a record of what being young in the mid/late 70s, overlooked by the Boomers and the general vulture, was like.

No Zep in the film, but there should have been.

Gotta say, hearing from my 1963/64/65 and so on peers is really taking me back. Wonder how our teenage selves would have gotten along, if we could have acknowledged all the things we had in common, the secrets we kept, that we all were going to have to figure out our lives in a way straight kids didn't...heavy lifting for young kids.

Glad to have grown up then, rather than now. Warm night, driving around, being young, and "Stairway..." playing in the car...

Oh, to desentimentalize the era, there's "Corvette Summer"...

by Anonymousreply 36410/09/2013

R362 Wasn't Phil Lynnot's father American?

by Anonymousreply 36510/09/2013

R364 I can dig it. "Over The Edge" (1979) was a pretty accurate depiction of many of the kids I grew up with in the late 1970's. I was a good kid and stayed out of trouble but I knew lots of troubled suburban kids like the ones in the film.

"Over The Edge" was a pretty good movie that has been somewhat forgotten. It made quite an impact on me when I saw it on HBO, circa 1980. It had a pretty good soundtrack too. Cheap Trick, Van Halen, Jimi Hendrix, The Cars, The Ramones. It really should have had some Zeppelin. It would have been icing on the cake.

I love your philosophy. I loved growing up in the '70s, great music, great movies, great TV shows. I spent a lot of time alone in my room, door closed, listening to Led Zeppelin, Queen, Boston and Cheap Trick and trying to figure out who the hell I was. You're right, we had a hell of a lot more to go through than the straight kids did. It always seemed so much easier for them. Maybe not, but it seemed that way.

I sometimes think it would be great to go back and relive it with knowledge I picked up later. To also realize that I wasn't alone. There were thousands and thousands of other gay kids out there. When I was alone in my room wondering if I was a freak, it would have been a comfort to know that, just down the street, there were others, just like me.

"Stairway to Heaven" was one of those songs that really got me through it all.

by Anonymousreply 36610/09/2013

Does anybody know if Jimmy P has softened his stance regarding other media using their songs and music?

I ask because I recall them playing a Zep song on an episode of Revolution (!) of all things!

by Anonymousreply 36710/09/2013

R365 Phil Lynott's father was a Black Brazilian and his mother was White Irish. It was a great mix. He was a sexy looking man.

by Anonymousreply 36810/09/2013

R367, Definitely. Years ago, getting clearance to use Led Zeppelin's music in movies or TV shows was next to impossible. Cameron Crowe begged and pulled strings in 1982 to use "Kashmir" in "Fast Times At Ridgemont High." Years later, Crowe was allowed to use Zeppelin's music in 2000's "Almost Famous."

In the years since, Page has softened his stance and now Zeppelin's music is heard in many films and TV shows.

by Anonymousreply 36910/09/2013

"Corvette Summer" was quite a stinker, R364. There was no Zeppelin on the soundtrack and even the mighty Zep wouldn't have saved that movie. However, Mark Hamill was quite do-able in 1978. He didn't age well but I would have light-sabered his little death star a hundred different ways back then. Yes, sir!

by Anonymousreply 37010/09/2013

Thanks, R369.

Just hope he's still a *little* selective regarding his music.

by Anonymousreply 37110/09/2013

R369 I saw an interview with Director Amy Heckerling a while back and she was talking about how the "Fast Times" soundtrack was originally supposed to feature bands like Blondie, AC/DC, Blue Oyster Cult and Devo.

Apparently the producer had ties with the management of (yawn) Jackson Browne and the then former members of the Eagles and forced his hand in featuring them on the soundtrack.

Heckerling fought to keep Led Zeppelin, The Go-Go's, Oingo Boingo, Billy Squier and Sammy Hagar on the soundtrack, but had to replace AC/DC, BOC, Blondie, Van Halen and Devo with Jackson Browne, some no-name band called The Rayvyns (managed by the producers wife), and the former (yawn) Eagles solo crap. What could have been a killer soundtrack became a missed opportunity.

"The Last American Virgin", released at the same time, featured a much more representative picture of the early '80s music scene, with then-modern soundtrack of Devo, Journey, The Cars, REO Speedwagon, The Waitresses, The Police, etc.

by Anonymousreply 37210/09/2013

R372 Both male leads in The Last American Virgin were/are gay in real life. I was a young teen when I saw that movie in '82 and they both pinged to me. It was a funny movie. Would have been better if STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN was in it. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 37310/09/2013

I have my iPod on shuffle right now. Out of 7,000+ songs it just started playing "Stairway to Heaven" - Fuckin'-A!

by Anonymousreply 37410/09/2013

R366 Yeah, it really did feel like you were handed this huge thing to figure out, all by yourself. Looking back, there we all were in our rooms, fumbling to come terms with our desires and crushes, soothed by this amazing music. If only we knew how many of us were in the exact same circumstances...but, we made it - here we are.

I'm sure plenty of straight kids had equivalent things to sort out, but coming to terms with same-sex attraction and crushes...that felt like an extra layer of heavy-lifting that life doled out. Can't imagine what we would have said to each other, all of us, if we were connected. Awkward me, the girl in the "Molly Hatchet" T, the jock, you...with this big, secret experience in common. Can't even begin to imagine...

Can't fail to mention "Freaks & Geeks", which also got it sooo right.

Love, love this thread.

by Anonymousreply 37510/09/2013

I think it's hilarious how most straight people assume that gay people hate Rock music. The funny thing is that when I was growing up in the '70s and early '80s, I was a rocker, into Queen, Zeppelin, Rush, Floyd, ZZ Top, etc. My very straight and ultra-homophobic asshole of an older brother (whom I still loathe) was into Disco, Barbra Streisand, Billy Joel, Abba, the Grease and Xanadu Soundtracks, Randy Newman, and Showtunes. Go figure.

by Anonymousreply 37610/09/2013

That's funny R376. My story is similar. I was into Zeppelin, Bowie, Pink Floyd, etc. and my straight brothers were "Disco Joes". They were just like John Travolta's character, Tony Manero, and his mook friends in "Saturday Night Fever." I thought disco was great for dancing at clubs, but when I wanted to jam I threw some Zeppelin, Aerosmith or Sabbath on the turntable.

My straight brothers were getting down with their Village People, Sylvester, Chic, Donna Summer and Bee Gees LPs. Nothing wrong with that. My brothers were actually good guys. I just think it was funny how I was the "fag" and I was the butchest of the bunch musically.

by Anonymousreply 37710/09/2013

R370 "Corvette Summer" is the late 70s pretty much unvarnished, and isn't broadcast all that much, so it might be illustrative for the young uns that missed that era.

"(Ladies And Gentlemen) The Fabulous Stains" might close the parentheses on that time. The transition after the Led Zep era.

by Anonymousreply 37810/09/2013

True, R378. I haven't seen Corvette Summer since its release in 1978 (at a drive-in theater on a double-bill with Cheech & Chong's Up In Smoke, believe it or not). I'll bet it would be a hoot to see again. (Ladies And Gentlemen) The Fabulous Stains was another forgotten but fun reminder of that long-lost era. I would love to see that one again, as well.

by Anonymousreply 37910/09/2013

Stairway to Heaven is playing on my local classic rock station right this very minute... shocking, I know. LOL.

I'm singing along. Love it, love it, love it.

by Anonymousreply 38010/09/2013

R379 Amazingly, both have run on TCM/ Turner Classic Movies!

by Anonymousreply 38110/09/2013

I was born in '63. Major Zeppelin fan. I was a jock in the Texas Hill Country and was quite popular with the girls in school. All of my football and basketball team mates thought I was baggin' all the babes. I had the rep of being this major stud in high school. If they only knew... Ha-ha. The only person I was gettin' it on with was the cute blond guy who lived next door to me.

When my team mates and buds thought I was out banging babes, I was in my bedroom, locked away, listening to Zep's IV and Physical Graffiti and Floyd's Dark Side and Wish You Were Here. I was so confused and went through so much self-analysis. I always put on a smile and people thought I was happy-go-lucky but I was miserable most of the time. Afraid I would disappoint everyone by being a "homo."

Now, years later, people either accept me as I am or they can take a flying leap. No more pretending. Most of those people close to me stuck by me after I finally came out in 1981 (my first semester of college). A few didn't, but screw 'em right up the pooper.

Thanks to Zeppelin and Floyd for carrying me through those sometimes dark and sometimes fun years.

by Anonymousreply 38210/09/2013

R382 David, don't know about you, but I think that in this thread, with these shared experiences, for the first time I might have actually found my tribe.

Putting on a smile, while actually anguished about disappointing and letting everone down.Thinking I was the only one. And look...

Thanks for reminiscing.

by Anonymousreply 38310/09/2013

Sorry, but no gay man of taste would be caught dead listening to Led Zeppelin or their ilk. It's just not civilized. Get some taste bitches! This thread disgusts me.

by Anonymousreply 38410/09/2013

R384 Why do snobs like you hi-jack threads like this? If you don't like something, don't open the thread. I do not care for Britney, Cher, Broadway, Madonna or Bieber but I don't open their threads and insult the people who do like them.

You remind me of a queen I went to high school with who became violent when he would see my cassettes in my car back in the day. He would call me a traitor and angrily ask me how I could listen to such no talent garbage. I would remind him that he was in MY car and to show me the same respect I would show him in his.

How can you enjoy life being wound as tightly as you are?

I am a gay man who loves Led Zeppelin. I do not apologize for being gay and I do not apologize for loving Led Zeppelin. So there!

by Anonymousreply 38510/09/2013

R384, Go back to your Betty Buckley thread, since she's so much more musically inclined than Led Zeppelin or The Who. Go where you belong and rave about the virtuosity of Anthony Newley, Wayne Newton, Bernadette Peters and Lola Falana, and stop commenting on Led Zeppelin's thread. There's no excuse for you to bring your Broadway snobbery here.

Most of us do not comment on Betty Buckley threads, so do us the same courtesy. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 38610/09/2013

Don't even acknowledge, R384. Troll. Waste of time. He's off to buy Miley's record. We on this thread get to talk and reminiscence about GREAT music. From Jagger to Plant. From Kurt to Jim. From Roger to well, Roger (Waters).

Love that so many gays love a heavy handed guitar. Now, who will marry me? I'm hot. A bottom, but very masculine. And yes, I play guitar myself.

by Anonymousreply 38710/09/2013

R387, The words ou speak are true. I have been a life-long rocker. I'm a gay man, 49, educated, successful and far from a burn-out. I love my guitar rock... my Zeppelin, my Floyd, my Sabbath, my Nirvana, etc. I also like to stay current and I listen to a lot of Tool, Clutch, and Mastodon.

We have to ignore trolls like R384. He is stuck in his "New York Groove" (to borrow an old Ace Frehley song title) of Broadway, dance music and "high culture" with his nose held high.

by Anonymousreply 38810/09/2013

Robert Plant eventually tired of singing "Stairway to heaven" - he even once went so far as to make a monetary pledge to a public radio station if they promised they would never play "Stairway to Heaven" again.

His annoyance was no doubt buoyed by the fact that by 1991, the 20th anniversary of the release of the song, it was announced that radio stations had played "Stairway to Heaven" an estimated 2,874,000 times. If this playing time was back-to-back, it would amount to about 44 years.

by Anonymousreply 38910/09/2013

Fun fact:

Robert Plant cited the most unusual performance of his signature song when it was performed at Live Aid on July 13, 1985 “with two drummers, while Duran Duran cried at the side of the stage - there was something quite surreal about that”.

by Anonymousreply 39010/09/2013

A novelty song featuring the music and arrangement of Stairway to Heaven combined with the lyrics to the "Theme from Gilligan's Island" (which has a similar chord progression) was recorded by the San Francisco band Little Roger and the Goosebumps and was often featured on the Dr. Demento radio program.

Singer Robert Plant has described this as his favorite cover version of the song.

by Anonymousreply 39110/09/2013

Another Heart tip-of-the-hat to Led Zeppelin: "Flight of the Archer" (from "Little Queen") = "Battle of Evermore."

by Anonymousreply 39210/09/2013

R392, Good point. Actually, the title of the song by Heart is "Dream of the Archer." Otherwise, good call.

by Anonymousreply 39310/09/2013

R387 sounds hot. I love me a good bottoming guitar player. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 39410/09/2013

"Stairway to Heaven" and Led Zeppelin got me through so many lonely teenage nights way back when. Zeppelin and "Stairway" will always hold a special place in my heart. The lyrics were vague and had nothing to do with what I was going through as a gay teenage boy but it brought me much peace and clarity. Thank you Robert, Jimmy, John Paul and Bonzo.

by Anonymousreply 39510/09/2013

The lyrics are the sort of pretentious claptrap parodied by This is Spinal Tap.

by Anonymousreply 39610/09/2013

For some weird reason, I seem to remember a photo of Robert Plant and Phil Collins mouth-kissing each other in some magazine in the mid-'80s. I think it was in Creem (maybe Circus or Hit Parader). I may have imagined it (I think Robert could have done much better than Phil in the '80s LOL - maybe Rick Springfield or Billy Squier).

by Anonymousreply 39710/09/2013

R397 I don't know if you imagined that one or not but stranger things have happened. According to recent biographies on the group Kiss, Ace Frehley (the Space Guy) and Peter Criss (the Kitty Cat) used to suck each other off when they were bored out on the road.

According the the Kitty-Cat's autobiography, he confirmed that Ace blew him at least once and he insinuated that Paul Stanley (the Star Baby) was/is gay/bi (don't be too shocked by that. LOL). So the Robert & Phil thing wouldn't surprise me.

by Anonymousreply 39810/09/2013

R396 - Then "Stairway" served its purpose. I can't imagine my life withouot "This is Spinal Tap", one of my all time favorite comedies. For that reason alone, "Stairway" deserves to be immortalized.

by Anonymousreply 39910/09/2013

R398 I can't even imagine walking in on Peter and Ace swallowing each other's Love Guns. Ugh. I loved KISS back then but they were fug. That would be as "un-erotic" as walking in on Lemmy from Motorhead and Meat Loaf 69-ing.

by Anonymousreply 40010/09/2013

I'm not that familiar with Led Zeppelin's music, can I twerk to it?

by Anonymousreply 40110/09/2013

[quote]Which LZ album cover mystified you the most? For me it was "Houses of the Holy"

Best album cover EVER!

by Anonymousreply 40210/09/2013

That 'Houses of the Holy' album cover was iconic. The colors were so beautiful and entrancing.

by Anonymousreply 40310/09/2013

R390, That's hysterical. Lucky Robert! I would have loved to have made Duran Duran cry back in the day. I liked some of their music but they always looked so smarmy and arrogant (especially LeBon, Simon LeBon). They needed a good fisting. Their fashion sense looked silly, even then. That said, I do love Hungry Like The Wolf, A View To A Kill and Rio.

by Anonymousreply 40410/09/2013

Robert Plant's faux-orgasm during 'Whole Lotta Love' always gave me a major boner. Very sexy. Better than even Donna Summer's "Love to Love You Baby" orgasming.

by Anonymousreply 40510/09/2013

[quote]For some weird reason, I seem to remember a photo of Robert Plant and Phil Collins mouth-kissing each other in some magazine in the mid-'80s.

You are correct! Here's the photo!

Plant has also posed for photos kissing Peter Grant and, IIRC, Atlantic Records founder Ahmet Ertegun.

by Anonymousreply 40610/09/2013

R405 Who said it was "faux"?

by Anonymousreply 40710/09/2013

Zepp was my favorite band, but I also loved me some Ramones.

God they were fun.

by Anonymousreply 40810/09/2013

R408 Ditto! I loved the Ramones almost as much as Zeppelin. The Ramones were hilarious (and cute in a fugly sort of way).

by Anonymousreply 40910/09/2013

Gabba Gabba Hey!

by Anonymousreply 41010/09/2013

That photo would have been sooo much hotter if Plant had been frenching Corey Hart, Glenn Tipton, KK Downing, Paul Stanley, Peter Frampton or Billy Squier (lol). Phil Collins wasn't totally ugly but it would have been a much hotter kiss with a hotter guy.

by Anonymousreply 41110/09/2013

for r405

by Anonymousreply 41210/09/2013

Ramones and Led Zep are opposite ends of the sparse/overproduced spectrum.

by Anonymousreply 41310/09/2013

R412, Yummy. Thanks.

R413, Behave yourself. You're treading on dangerous ground. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 41410/09/2013

Led Zeppelin = Best British Band Ever.

The Ramones = Best American Band Ever.

by Anonymousreply 41510/09/2013

If someone could finally explain this photo of Page and a groupie, I'd greatly appreciate it.

It's been talked about for many years, but I never got the full story.

The type and wing effects have been Photoshopped, but I have no idea what's on his torso and crotch area.

by Anonymousreply 41610/09/2013

Oooh, the Zombie Jimmy Page. Mui perfeccion! Just in time for Season 4 of The Walking Dead.

by Anonymousreply 41710/09/2013

R416 Cool picture but that groupie looks a little long in the tooth to have been Pagey's. Reportedly, he liked them muuuuccccchhhhh younger.

It looks like his innards on his crotch and torso area. Cool.

by Anonymousreply 41810/09/2013

Pagey's last wife was (reported)in her late teens/early 20s when he married her. she looked like his grand-daughter standing next to him. Was a dead ringer for Lori Maddox, his teen groupie from the early 70s.

She had a kid when they met and then had 2 more. They've since divorced. Not sure I would trust him around my pre pubescent daughter. He certainly likes them young.

He's pushing 70 now

by Anonymousreply 41910/09/2013

[quote]Cool picture but that groupie looks a little long in the tooth to have been Pagey's. Reportedly, he liked them muuuuccccchhhhh younger.

True, but a lot of the groupies, especially the ones featured in the infamous 1969, or 1970, Rolling Stone "Groupies" issue, weren't all that hot. Did you ever get a look at some of the German groupies the Beatles were hanging with? ewwww

Re Page, you are thinking of the 'second era' of groupies, the very young ones Page/Zep were hanging with in LA...Lori, Sable Starr etc, yes, they were much younger and IMHO, a lot dumber.

Miss Pamela (Des Barres) was one of the best looking groupies featured in the RS "Groupies" issue. Pamela and Catherine James, were the most attractive groupies in that issue. The Plaster Casters were both fat homely girls and the others from the GTOs, weren't very pretty.

Lori and Sable would have still be children at that point, they definitely were not part of that groupie scene!

Here's the gorgeous Catherine James with the child she had with guitarist Denny Laine. IIRC, this was one of her photos featured in the RS "Groupies" issue. I think she was either 17 or 18 in this photo, a very sophisticated looking young woman compared to the LA groupies who became notorious later on.

Catherine was actually a model, she was also part of the Warhol scene and was one woman who didn't fall for Page's charms and lies.

She wrote a book, "Dandelion", Catherine came from a really bizarre dysfunctional family, she had a cold violent mother who beat her and her brother. Their race car driver father was also a drag queen.

Later on, Catherine worked as a stand-in for Diane Keaton.

These older groupies were certainly more interesting than the airheads, like Lori Maddox, who followed.

by Anonymousreply 42010/09/2013

[quote]Robert Plant cited the most unusual performance of his signature song when it was performed at Live Aid on July 13, 1985 “with two drummers, while Duran Duran cried at the side of the stage - there was something quite surreal about that”.

The band HATED that performance, what was a brilliant and moving reunion to some was an embarrassing mess to them. Jimmy called it "shambolic" and Robert said it was one of the worst live performances they ever did. They went as far as to ask Bob Geldof to excise it from any future Live Aid compilations or videos they thought it was so bad.

They also were allegedly not happy with the Atlantic Records 40th show at MSG, said they hadn't "rehearsed" enough. All this though led for them to put on a KILLER show at the O2 in 07, they really brought out everything they had for that one.

by Anonymousreply 42110/09/2013

[quote]Plant has also posed for photos kissing Peter Grant and, IIRC, Atlantic Records founder Ahmet Ertegun.

Robert and Phil Collins are both (unfortunately) two of the straightest straights that ever straighted.

Where did that photo of Page at r416 come from? the whole thing looks photoshopped.

by Anonymousreply 42210/09/2013

Sweet, Sweet Connie was doin' her act. She had the whole show and that's a natural fact!

by Anonymousreply 42310/09/2013

Did Stairway actually have a meaning? I loved the song but the lyrics seemed like nonsense. Did I miss something?

by Anonymousreply 42410/09/2013

Fun fact: Robert Plant and Phil Lynott were both born on August 20 (2 years apart) in the same town of West Bromwich, England. Must be something in the water there! Two of the sexiest frontmen of all time!

by Anonymousreply 42510/09/2013

Another pic of Jimmy's child bride:

by Anonymousreply 42610/09/2013

[quote]Where did that photo of Page at [R416] come from? the whole thing looks photoshopped.

Part of the photo WAS Photoshopped, but the rest is real.

"The Dream", as this photo has been called for years in Zep circles, has been talked about on Zep message forums and among Zep fans for as long as I can remember. It appears to be from the late 60s, early 70s.

Unfortunately, like most things Page does or has been rumored to do, I don't recall him ever talking about the true circumstances of the shoot, most of the info surrounded this pic, is gossip or speculation.

Many hardcore Zep fans swear it's real. Page was naked, he appears to have some animal guts on him and the fat-ass groupie was there. There was a rumor she was one of the GTOs.

The initial gossip was that Page was getting a blow job from the groupie and that fans were trying to track the photo down.

Then when the photo did appear, the talk about how the concept came about: Page told the photographer he felt like a piece of meat, especially as all these groupies wanted to fuck him because he was famous. Ironic, no?

I'm sure there are literal pages discussing "The Dream" on the official Zep forum, I haven't been there in years.

by Anonymousreply 42710/09/2013

Jimmy's "child bride", Jimena, was likely never officially his bride at all (there's no evidence they were ever legally married) and was hardly a child. She was born in California in 1972, was in her mid-20s when they met and her 30s during the bulk of the time they lived together.

She does look very young though in photos, much younger than her actual age. I've seen recent pics of her and she still has barely aged. Looks great.

by Anonymousreply 42810/09/2013

He was with Lori Maddox when she was 13 or 14 tho right?

by Anonymousreply 42910/09/2013

Well, jimmy was about 30 years older than her. The stench of that relationship is rich guy and gold digger wife. Who knows though, not sure id want my 55+ father with a 20ish old woman.

by Anonymousreply 43010/09/2013

r438 - It says in the link at r419 that they've been together since 1994. So if she was born in 1972, then she was 21 or 22 at most when they met. Oh well. I guess it was still a big come up for her.

by Anonymousreply 43110/09/2013

R424, Just when I thought I understood it all, Robert told me that "sometimes words have two meanings", so your guess is as good as mine.

by Anonymousreply 43210/09/2013

Their music is so sexual. It makes my naughty bits all warm and tingly.

by Anonymousreply 43310/09/2013

No offense to the poster but the rocklopedia link at r419 is riddled with errors; it says Jimmy & Jimena met in 1994 when she was "17" (she would have been 22) but that he adopted her daughter who was born in 1995 from a prior relationship!

Reality is they met in 96 when Page-Plant toured Brazil, Jimena was living there at the time supposedly working with orphans and the impoverished from the favelas (ghettos). Joe Perry introduced them. Her oldest daughter is half-Brazilian so I'm surmising she was there for personal reasons as well, perhaps still with her daughter's father or recently broken up with him.

I have no clue re Jimena's upbringing or schooling but her family is well-educated, her mother is a playwright/poetess living in FL and her maternal gfather was a doctor and high-level govt minister in Spain in the 30s before being imprisoned by Franco and fleeing to Argentina.

by Anonymousreply 43410/09/2013

[quote]He was with Lori Maddox when she was 13 or 14 tho right?

Yes. "With" being a loose term.

Jimmy had one clear standard for groupies and road gfs, and an entirely opposing one for his wives/live-in partners. Typical Capricorn.

by Anonymousreply 43510/09/2013

I wish Zeppelin would do one more U.S. Tour. I would pay $1,500 for one ticket. I wanted to see them in 1980 but their tour was cancelled and they broke up. I saw Plant and Page together but I want JPJ involved next time I see them.

by Anonymousreply 43610/09/2013

My favorite song of Zep's was from Led Zeppelin II, "Ramble On"...

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear. How years ago in days of old when magic filled the air, 'twas in the darkest depths of Mordor, mm-I met a girl so fair, but Gollum and the evil one crept up and slipped away with her her, her, yeah, and ain't nothin' I can do, no

by Anonymousreply 43710/09/2013

Damn, there were so many great bands in that era. Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Thin Lizzy, Queen, The Who, UFO, Rolling Stones, Grand Funk, Boston, Alice Cooper, Heart, Kiss, Aerosmith, Ted Nugent, Rush, Kinks, Fleetwood Mac, Styx, Cheap Trick, Ramones, E.L.O., Blue Oyster Cult, Wings... I could go on and on. There was an amazing amount of talent in music back then.

by Anonymousreply 43810/09/2013

My two favorite songs of all time are Stairway to Heaven and In My Time of Dying - both by Led Zeppelin. The only other song I like as much as those would be Gimme Shelter by the Rolling Stones.

by Anonymousreply 43910/09/2013

R438 - I would mention the Jimi Hendrix Experience, Cream, The Beatles, and The Doors, as well.

by Anonymousreply 44010/09/2013

I'm guessing, since they were British, that all of the "members" of Led Zeppelin were uncut.

by Anonymousreply 44110/09/2013

Apparently, 'Stairway to Heaven' is a cover of an old Neil Sedaka hit.

by Anonymousreply 44210/09/2013

R442 - LOL. My mom used to love Neil Sedaka. She loved his "Stairway to Heaven" (in all of its 1960 saccharine, diabetic-coma sugar shock)as much as I loved Zeppelin's 1971 "Stairway."

by Anonymousreply 44310/09/2013

Love this thread.....huge Led Zeppelin fan, but I had no idea that Heart has covered SO many Zeppelin songs, until seeing the Kennedy Center Tribute clip, and then snooping around the related clips on YouTube. (some with, and some without, Jason Bonham).

I generally frown on Zeppelin covers....but I love Heart's! And they've been doing it a long time, well before they hooked Jason Bonham. (Battle of Evermore, 1994, Chile)

by Anonymousreply 44410/09/2013

* hooked up with

by Anonymousreply 44510/09/2013

R444 Thanx for that clip. I had heard audio of Heart doing that song but I had never seen video. I am a gay male, 100%, but I would make wild, passionate love to the Wilson sisters in appreciation for all of the beautiful music they have given us (right after I finish making wild passionate love to Led Zeppelin for all the wonderful, beautiful music they've given us).

by Anonymousreply 44610/09/2013

I saw Led Zeppelin live in concert in 1977. I saw Heart live (with Aerosmith, Ted Nugent, Santana, Foreigner, etc.) in 1978. I told myself after seeing Zep and Heart that I could die at anytime and I'd be happy. I had seen my two favorite bands live. Fortunately, I lived and later saw Page and Plant live twice in the '90s and Heart live again in 1999. Magical! Now if I could just see the two groups performing together onstage. Perhaps the entire 'Led Zeppelin IV' and 'Dreamboat Annie' albums?

by Anonymousreply 44710/09/2013

I remember being a nine year old boy in late 1971 when my older brother (12) brought home his brand new copy of Led Zeppelin IV. Prior to that evening, I was into Top 40 radio and bubblegum music. That evening was life-changing. I sat on my brother's bed, looked over every inch of the album cover and took in the most beautiful music I had ever heard in my life.

The next weekend I took my allowance to Woolworth's and bought my own copy. Led Zeppelin IV is still my favorite album of all time (my brother's too). Great memories. The soundtrack of my childhood and teen years.

by Anonymousreply 44810/10/2013

Stairway to Heaven is absolutely flawless and a perfect musical piece. I can imagine that people in 1000 years would still be listening to it along with the works of Mozart.

by Anonymousreply 44910/10/2013

I love fuckin' a hot dude while Led Zeppelin blares in the background. "Led Zeppelin IV" (definitely including 'Stairway to Heaven') is my favorite sex jam. By the time 'When the Levee Breaks' ends, I'm spent!

by Anonymousreply 45010/10/2013

I love so many Led Zeppelin songs. They are, and always will be, my favorite band. My first Led Zeppelin album was 'In Through The Out Door' in late 1979. I still love that album. The songs were phenomenal: In The Evening, All My Love, I'm Gonna Crawl, Carouselambra, and the pinnacle of perfection, Fool In The Rain.

I was 14 when that album came out. I was a late comer to Zeppelin but I wasted no time in catching up. Within 6 months I had all of their albums. In Through The Out Door is still my favorite though.

by Anonymousreply 45110/10/2013

This MUST be a lesbian and straight boy thread. I have lived in NY all my life (I'm 39 and holding) and have known thousands and thousands of gay men and I have never known even one who likes this kind of music. Led Zeppelin? Most gays have never ever heard of them. Other than that Stairway song I am clueless about them.

Our taste tends to run more toward dance and showtunes. In other words, we have class. Led Zeppelin fandom must be a flyover thing. I hope I never find out as I never intend to visit Flyover/People of Walmart country.

Led Zeppelin, my ass!

by Anonymousreply 45210/10/2013

Speak for yourself, moron. I am 53, I am gay as the day is long, I grew up in Brooklyn and have loved bands like Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin all my life. Get out of the dance clubs and drag bars once in a while and you'll meet people of all sexual orientations who like a variety of things. Not just a bunch of clubbers into house music and poppers. Get a life and quit belittling others. You must be a miserable person to be around.

by Anonymousreply 45310/10/2013

R452 - There are more of us than you think. Led Zeppelin (and rock music in general) has a huge following in the gay community. Even here in New York. To all DL'ers in "flyover country", we're not all snobs like 452. Like R453 said, get off the dance floor or out of the bathhouse once in a while and you'll see a whole new world.

by Anonymousreply 45410/10/2013

How about some Dread Zeppelin performing Stairway to Heaven?

by Anonymousreply 45510/10/2013

I preferred Deep Purple circa 'Deep Purple in Rock' and 'Fireball'. Captain Beyond was a pretty good band as well in that genre.

by Anonymousreply 45610/10/2013

R456 I grew up in that era and Deep Purple was AMAZING beyond words. I worshipped that band. Captain Beyond was great as well. I loved me some "Dancing Madly Backwards."

by Anonymousreply 45710/10/2013

Deep Purple does not seem to be as appreciated today as they should be. It seems that Zep and Sabbath are still on the lips of the young, but Purple, other than Smoke On The Water, is relatively unknown. A shame, because they were brilliant. In Rock is one of the best albums ever. Fireball and Machine Head too. Made In Japan is the best live album ever recorded. My opinion, take it for what it's worth.

by Anonymousreply 45810/10/2013

Ritchie Blackmore was awesome. He and Pagey were my heroes. Iommi too.

by Anonymousreply 45910/10/2013

I am listening to Led Zeppelin in my cubicle right now. The fraus in my office hate them, that makes me happy. It's one of the few topics I can bond with the straight boys on in the office. Most of the straight boys here are are pretty cool. The queen in the next cubicle hates rock and always makes pithy remarks. C'est la vie. We "ain't" listening to Barbra to appease him. LOL. We're listening to "Led Zeppelin I" right now. "How Many More Times". Love it.

by Anonymousreply 46010/10/2013

R456, Damn, now I want to hear some DP "Fireball." That title track it just incendiary. I'm going to have to whip out my CD and give it a spin. That may be my favorite Deep Purple album. 1971 was a bang-up year for rock music, wasn't it?

by Anonymousreply 46110/10/2013

Led Zeppelin... Deep Purple... Black Sabbath... Captain Beyond (I had almost forgotten them, thanks for the reminder)... makes me want to dig out my flared jeans and my old puka shell necklace. My old rocker boy days.

by Anonymousreply 46210/10/2013

Listening to Stairway to Heaven right now. It's so relaxing. I wish I had a joint.

by Anonymousreply 46310/10/2013

[quote]In Through The Out Door is still my favorite though.

That's the one that JPJ made the greatest contribution to. He was more of a backseat player before Jimmy became a heroin addict. If I am remembering that correctly. It's been awhile since I read "Hammer of the Gods" and various Led Zep bios.

by Anonymousreply 46410/10/2013

Captain Beyond? Wow, that takes me right back to 1972. Some other great hard rock bands from that era were Alice Cooper (my fave), Humble Pie, Mountain, Cactus, Uriah Heep, Free, Grand Funk Railroad, Edgar Winter Group, Dust, Montrose, James Gang, Iggy & The Stooges, Budgie, T. Rex, Trapeze, and about 30 more that are temporarily slipping my memory.

That era (1970-1974) encompassed my high school years. I wonder whatever happened to my old buddies from back then. Maybe I should look them up online.

by Anonymousreply 46510/10/2013

R464, A lot of Zeppelin fans weren't too keen on "In Through The Out Door" in 1979, I always loved it. Page WAS a heroin zombie at that time and it was really affecting him. Plant and JPJ took over the reigns and produced a somber but brilliant album. ITTOD is one of my favorite albums ever.

by Anonymousreply 46610/10/2013

Ramble On is my own favorite. That and Kashmir.

by Anonymousreply 46710/10/2013

Jimmy Page was quite cute, pre-heroin.

by Anonymousreply 46810/10/2013

"In Through The Out Door" got me through my first broken heart at 15. I had been secretly dating this guy and we were in love. I was on cloud nine. The guy suffered a lot of guilt over being gay and one day in November of 1979, he sat me down, told me I was the love of his life, and said, "but we have to break up. I can't go on being gay. I was just raised to believe that it's wrong. I can't do this anymore. People are starting to wonder about us." Then he let me know that he was dating this girl (a classmate of ours).

I went home, closed my bedroom door, put on In Through The Out Door and cried my eyes out. By the time All My Love and I'm Gonna Crawl were playing, I was bawling like a baby. I was depressed for months, even though I kept a brave face on. Not only did I lose my boyfriend, but my best friend since early childhood.

I looked him up and on his Facebook he claims to like "women" - but he's never been married and looks like he's still in major denial. He's still cute. The bastard! No, I haven't friended him. I am with my partner of 30 years and we are very happy. I got over my heartache eventually. Mostly thanks to Led Zeppelin's gorgeous albums, especially ITtOD.

by Anonymousreply 46910/10/2013

R469 Men are pigs, lol. Glad you found someone wonderful. Led Zeppelin & Pink Floyd have gotten me through many heartaches in life. Music is a wonderful cure-all.

by Anonymousreply 47010/10/2013

Terrific song, even though it's about str8 love.

"I'm Gonna Crawl" - Led Zeppelin

Oh she's my baby, Let me tell you why Hey, she drives me crazy, She's the apple of my eye .'Cause she is my girl, And she can never do wrong. If I dream too much at night, Somebody please bring me down.

Hey, I love that little lady, I got to be her fool. Ain't no other like my baby, I can break the golden rule. 'Cause I get down on my knees, Oh, I pray that love won't die. And if I always try to please, I don't know the reason why, yeah

If she would come back, Only stay with me

Every little bit of my love, etc., I give to you girl.

I don't have to go by plane. I ain't gotta go by car. I don't care just where my darling is People I just don't care how far I'm gonna crawl. I don't care if I got to go back home I don't care what I got to stand to her back I'm gonna crawl. I'm gonna move the car, baby She give me good lovin. Yes I love her, I guess I love her. I'm gonna crawl.

by Anonymousreply 47110/10/2013

"All My Love" - Led Zeppelin - 1979

Should I fall out of love, my fire in the light To chase a feather in the wind. Within the glow that weaves a cloak of delight. There moves a thread that has no end.

For many hours and days that pass ever soon the tides have caused the flame to dim. At last the arm is straight, the hand to the loom Is this to end or just begin?

[Chorus:] All of my love, all of my love, All of my love to you.

The cup is raised, the toast is made yet again One voice is clear above the din Proud Arianne one word, my will to sustain For me, the cloth once more to spin

Yours is the cloth, mine is the hand that sews time, his is the force that lies within. Ours is the fire, all the warmth we can find. He is a feather in the wind.

by Anonymousreply 47210/10/2013

R452- stereotype much?

by Anonymousreply 47310/10/2013

The high falsetto "Old lady, can't you hear the wind blow?" always made me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 47410/10/2013

In Through the Out Door sounds like insertive butt sex.

Pink Floyd was all about the gays.

by Anonymousreply 47510/10/2013

R475 "In Through the Out Door sounds like insertive butt sex."

The band has admitted that the title of the album was a sly reference to anal sex. Maybe that's why I like the album so much. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 47610/10/2013

It is so refreshing to see a music thread on here that's not related to Broadway, Showtunes or Disco Divas. I love it. More, more, more!

Led Zeppelin Rules!

by Anonymousreply 47710/10/2013

[R477] I am stunned too that there are so many Zep fans. We are smashing stereotypes of gay men on DL I suppose. Next someone will have to start a Patti Smith thread. I loved the New York punk scene too.

by Anonymousreply 47810/10/2013

Led Zeppelin recorded the sexiest music of all time. Like another poster said, those guys must have really known how to fuck because it sure translated to the music. Good for them!

by Anonymousreply 47910/10/2013

I love Stairway To Heaven but I prefer Kashmir. THAT is sexy.

by Anonymousreply 48010/10/2013

Yes. Kashmir was really sexy. So was Ramble On.

by Anonymousreply 48110/10/2013

I loved Zeppelin and rock when I was growing up in the '70s. At times back then I wondered if I was the only gay boy in existence that DID NOT sing "Delta Dawn" or "Paper Roses" into a hairbrush while putting on a lip-synch show in front of the mirror.

Almost all the other gay boys I knew were into really sugary pop and diva stuff. Some of them were even into boy-band crap like Donny Osmond and David Cassidy. Yuck. I had one gay buddy down the street from me that liked Pink Floyd, Zep, Sweet, Alice Cooper and Bowie. Needless to say, he was my best friend. I am not the butchest guy in the world, but I'm not a woman either. I just can't relate to diva music. Nothing wrong with diva music, it just never clicked with me.

by Anonymousreply 48210/10/2013

I love the mentions of the In Through the Out Door album. My favorite song on it was South Bound Saurez, also In The Evening & All My Love. I wish Wearing & Tearing (an outtake which was later on Coda) had been on Out Door.

My absolute fave Zeppelin song is Stairway To Heaven. I have never gotten tired of it, even after thousands of listens since the early '70s.

by Anonymousreply 48310/10/2013

Back in the "roller disco" era (1980) my buds and I used to frequent our neighborhood skating rink every Saturday afternoon. They mostly played disco music like "Funkytown", "On The Radio", "Relight My Fire", "I Wanna Be Your Lover" and "Ladies Night". Occasionally they would play a rock song like "I Was Made For Lovin' You" by Kiss or "Highway To Hell" by ACDC.

We were out on the floor one afternoon and out of nowhere Led Zeppelin's "Carouselambra" kicked in. I was so excited that I almost peed my shorts. From then on they played that song a lot. Mostly because I requested it, LOL. I still think of skating when I hear it.

by Anonymousreply 48410/10/2013

I just watched the clip of "Stairway to Heaven" from "The Song Remains The Same" on YouTube. OMG, that live version is so amazing (and Plant and Page looked SUPER HOT). I think I'm going to go masturbate now.

by Anonymousreply 48510/10/2013

Stairway to Heaven was tolerable at best. I guess it's a Southern thing. I just never really got Led Zeppelin. I thought they were overrated rednecks. I hated their other overplayed "hit" Sweet Home Alabama. That song makes me wretch.

by Anonymousreply 48610/10/2013

I love this thread. Led Zeppelin were one of the most phenomenal bands in history. My life would have been incomplete without their music. "Stairway to Heaven" is terrific. It's not my favorite Zeppelin song (those would be "Kashmir" and "Achilles Last Stand"), but it was a huge part of developmental years and it is still very special to me.

R486, I don't even know where to start. I hope you're kidding. I really do.

by Anonymousreply 48710/12/2013

There are gay people who actually listen to that juvenile shit?

by Anonymousreply 48810/12/2013

Do we have a picture of R488? Why, yes. Here it is:

by Anonymousreply 48910/12/2013

R489 - I love you. That was frigging hilarious (and I imagine that photo is a pretty accurate one). I can't believe how people like R488 open threads on topics they dislike just to leave insulting remarks. There must be no joy in their lives --- it's sad really.

I love Led Zeppelin and I think "Stairway To Heaven" is one of the greatest songs ever. I love every song that band ever did, to tell the truth. They have brought me so much joy in my life.

by Anonymousreply 49010/12/2013

Believe it or not, I have not heard 'Stairway to Heaven' in over ten years. I never listen to the radio. I think I am going to have to dig out my CD and give it a listen. I was burned out on it for years but I very much want to hear it now. I need to transfer it onto my iPod anyway.

by Anonymousreply 49110/12/2013

This thread has inspired me to get on a real Led Zeppelin kick lately. I just finished listening to Tea for One from Presence, which I had not heard since my teens. That was one epic piece. I am rediscovering a lot of my old favorites from my youth. I had forgotten how spectacular Tea for One was.

by Anonymousreply 49210/12/2013

I love Stairway to Heaven and Led Zep IV but I love the Physical Graffiti album even more, specifically The Rover (my favorite Zeppelin song).

by Anonymousreply 49310/12/2013

How come T.Rex never really made it big outside of the UK? Although Marc Bolan kind of struck me as a poser, they had some really good songs especially "Get it On" and "Children of the Revolution" (see link).

by Anonymousreply 49410/12/2013

I really like the live recordings of The Doors ca. 67-69 (Hollywood Bowl, etc.) they really knew how to create momentum, listening to them now you almost get transported back to that era.

Also: the debut record of the New York Dolls from '72, probably the funniest rock album ever.

by Anonymousreply 49510/12/2013

I was born in 1965, Zeppelin were THE band of my youth. While all of the other 10-13 year old boys were listening to disco (yuck), top 40 (yawn) or Kiss (nothing wrong with Kiss, I liked them but they were not even in the same league as Zeppelin) I was jamming Page, Plant, Jones & Bonham. I had all of their albums and played them consistently.

by Anonymousreply 49610/12/2013

It's been a long time since rock and roll...

by Anonymousreply 49710/12/2013

My Ten Favorite Albums of the 1970s:

1. Led Zeppelin IV - Led Zeppelin - 1971

2. Sticky Fingers - Rolling Stones - 1971

3. Who's Next - The Who - 1971

4. Live & Dangerous - Thin Lizzy - 1978

5. Alive! - Kiss - 1975

6. Boston - Boston - 1976

7. Dark Side Of The Moon - Pink Floyd - 1973

8. If You Want Blood, You've Got It - AC/DC - 1978

9. Rocks - Aerosmith - 1976

10. Made In Japan - Deep Purple - 1973*

10. Paranoid - Black Sabbath - 1970*

* = tie.

by Anonymousreply 49810/12/2013

I had every single one of those LPs back then, 498. Did you go through my old record cabinet? LOL. Damn good taste, Mister. It looks like you Texas homos like to rock. I grew up in Michigan and there were lots of rockers there too. In the late '70s we moved to Wyoming. All of the high school kids there were into two types of music: Country, and Western.

Needless to say, I was sort of an outcast for being gay AND for not liking hillbilly music. It was rough.

by Anonymousreply 49910/12/2013

Wow 500 posts.. Great Thread thanks for all of these replies...

by Anonymousreply 50010/12/2013

In the late 1970s, when I was in my early twenties, I was an E.M.T. for a few years. I had loved "Stairway to Heaven" since its release but my most vivid memory of it was in the Fall of 1978. We received a call and headed out of town where a car had run off the highway (intoxicated driver, driving way too fast and he had lost control of his Mustang) and into a ravine.

When we arrived, "Led Zeppelin IV" was still loudly playing on the 8-track car stereo. "Going to California" was finishing and "Stairway to Heaven" started playing. The car was upside down and one of the passengers had been ejected and had been crushed under the car (she was a girl, about 15). She was deceased. The driver, a 17 year old boy, had been ejected through the windshield and he was in terrible condition.

The stereo was turned up loud and the song was blasting while we attempted to save the driver and treat a male passenger in the backseat who had a severe head injury. One of the E.M.T.'s was able to get to the stereo and finally turn it off, but I can still picture those three kids' faces in my head every time I hear those songs. The driver passed away on the scene and the back seat passenger lived.

Every time I hear "Zep IV" I think of that night and that horrific accident.

by Anonymousreply 50110/12/2013

Hate Led Zepplin.

Hate Stairway To Heaven.

I guess they were just way before my time. This loud stuff isn't even music. It's just noise. I prefer the late 80s and the 90s. The 70s were just awful except for a few acts like ABBA, The Carpenters, Air Supply and Barry Manilow. Everything else was overrated. Hard rock needs to just die.

by Anonymousreply 50210/12/2013

! MARY ! @ r502

Go listen to your Bread discs and jerk off to a picture of David Gates.

by Anonymousreply 50310/13/2013

R-502, as David Gates from Bread would say, "Goodbye, Girl!" You said Zeppelin was "before your time" but mention other acts of that era that you liked. That's odd, you can listen to them, but not Zeppelin?

You mentioned Air Supply (barf!) as a '70s act. True they were around then, but their made hits did not start coming until the early part of 1980. If you do not like Zeppelin, why do you feel compelled to open a thread about them, just to insult them? Strange.

by Anonymousreply 50410/13/2013

Stairway To Heaven is one of the most beautiful things ever created by the human race. To say I love it is an understatement.

by Anonymousreply 50510/13/2013

wow 501, what a story!

by Anonymousreply 50610/14/2013

I love "Rock 'n' Roll"!

by Anonymousreply 50710/14/2013

Epic song.

by Anonymousreply 50810/14/2013

My favorite Zeppelin tracks:

1. Baby, I'm Gonna Leave You

2. Dazed & Confused

3. When The Levee Breaks

4. Stairway To Heaven

5. Kashmir

6. Nobody's Fault But Mine

7. Over The Hills & Far Away

8. The Ocean

9. Since I've Been Loving You

10. Ten Years Gone

by Anonymousreply 50910/14/2013

Stairway to Heaven is such a great song. My older brother (3 years older), my sister (a year and a half older) and I used to listen to that song and Led Zeppelin IV so much as kids in the '70s. The three of us were very close and I guess you could say we were best friends. We were also very close to our parents. So many great times.

I lost my sister, Sherri to cancer at the age of 34 in 1992 and my brother, David in a freak accident at the age of 47 in 2003. My beautiful parents have been gone for years too. Everytime I hear Stairway to Heaven, I think of all the good times we had (we laughed so much growing up). Then I shed a few tears knowing that they are gone. Stairway will always be special to this guy. No doubt.

by Anonymousreply 51010/14/2013

Well I'm totally shocked and disguisted at the crime Dave Hermann (formerly of WNEW) was arrested for today. He was arrested for child sex trafficking in a case involving having a 6 year old brought to St Croix for him. I just wonder if this is the beginning of a string of accusations. I can't imagine a 77 year old just starting sex crimes at that age. I wonder who else will be implicated along with Dave.

by Anonymousreply 51110/25/2013

I think R511 took a wrong turn at Albuquerque. LOL. Wrong thread, Buckaroo!

I love Stairway. It was released before I was born but it's my favorite song EVER!

by Anonymousreply 51210/27/2013

I am convinced that "Stairway to Heaven" is the best song ever. I have never tired of it and it is one of those songs that will be known 500 years from now.

by Anonymousreply 51312/15/2013

Epic jam.

by Anonymousreply 51412/15/2013

I've heard people comparing it to The Black Keys "Little black Submarine"? Do you think they purposely tried to make their own Are there similarities?

by Anonymousreply 51512/16/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!