Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Baby

Anyone remember this bizarre sleaze/camp-fest?

Starring a caftan-draped Ruth Roman as a ball-busting mother of an infantilized grown man she keeps imprisoned in a baby crib.

This movie has been the subject of a lot of speculation over the years. Certainly one of the farthest-out things to hit the television screen in the mid-70s.

What did you think? Favorite scenes?

by Anonymousreply 2210/04/2013

I caught this on TCM a few months back. Bizarre is an understatement! Weirdly, it popped into my head yesterday as I was getting ready for work. No idea why but now your thread appears.

by Anonymousreply 109/30/2013

Here's the trailer for the uninitiated. Rated PG!

by Anonymousreply 209/30/2013

Good Lawd, that trailer was disturbing! What kind of tortured 70s mind came up with that?

by Anonymousreply 309/30/2013

I adore this movie and bought it on DVD years ago -- it came out about the same time as Paul Bartel's "Private Parts" and hits a lot of the same sleazy notes.

If you watch it from a fetishist's viewpoint, it hits on about 25 different levels -- EVERY shot is designed to appeal to some sort of fetish, but it's never acknowledged.

Check out this shot of Ruth Roman and her daughters -- you've got bisexuality and sadism on the left, Lolita and breast fetishism on the right, and in the middle, Ruth working a Johnny Guitar look, like a cross between Joan Crawford and Mercedes McCambridge.

by Anonymousreply 409/30/2013

I caught the tail end of this on TCM of all places. I didn't know what to make of it. It reminded me of a William Castle movie but not nearly as much fun. Ruth Roman must have really needed a paycheck.

by Anonymousreply 509/30/2013

Can someone describe the final scene for me?

I missed the very end. I KNOW what happened, what the twist is, but I didn't actually see it. I've heard it's a really scary scene to watch; is that true? Was there some kind of scary visual? I'm kind of afraid to look it up on youtube!

by Anonymousreply 609/30/2013

It sounds like a John Waters forerunner to me. Frankly, I'm shocked no one has ever had a band called Edie and the Eggmen!

by Anonymousreply 709/30/2013

I was never the same after trying to play Farley Granger's love interest.

by Anonymousreply 809/30/2013

I love these kind of movies. Is it worth the money to buy the DVD?

by Anonymousreply 909/30/2013

John Waters was humorous and this movie was not at all funny. Even during the high-camp scenes, when it seems like you ought to be laughing, somehow you're not. It was just creepy. Maybe because of the intense soundtrack.

I might describe it as Psycho meets Russ Meyers.

by Anonymousreply 1009/30/2013

Man up and watch the trailer at r4. Sheesh.

by Anonymousreply 1109/30/2013

Wow I haven't thought about this movie in years, but watched it as a kid and thought it was so disturbing. Don't know if I can watch the trailer either!

by Anonymousreply 1209/30/2013

It looks like creepy fun.

by Anonymousreply 1309/30/2013

R11 I doubt that the trailer will include the final scene.

by Anonymousreply 1409/30/2013

I love that, for the sounds of The Baby crying, they used an ACTUAL baby instead of the adult man.

by Anonymousreply 1509/30/2013

R15 They had to do that because of a technical issue, but it really enhances the weirdness of the movie.

by Anonymousreply 1610/01/2013

I had known of it for several years, but didn't see it 'til it was on TCM Underground a few months back. Little shocks me anymore, but when the early scene came on where they were shocking the shit out of Baby with the cattle prod, I was surprised that they'd get that sadistic (knowing it was only rated PG, though, if I remember correctly, TCM listed it as TV-MA). It stayed sleazy, downbeat, and disturbing (just the way I like it) to the very end, which I did not see coming. Still amazed this got through the MPAA with a PG rating, even though there were often far more lax back then.

Now for some REALLY disturbing shit featuring another developmentally stunted adult, check out TOYS ARE NOT FOR CHILDREN from 1973. The trailer doesn't give you any idea just how sleazy this one gets.

by Anonymousreply 1710/01/2013

What amazed me that it got onto television in the early 70s, I think entirely uncut.

by Anonymousreply 1810/01/2013

Weren't the sisters famous outside the movie (or at least one of them)?

by Anonymousreply 1910/03/2013

R19 Yes, the actresses who played the two sisters, Susanne Senor and Marianna Hill, both had some work in larger films and more character work on television. Hill, in particular, had a pretty extensive resume (check IMDB), and had been working steadily for quite some time when THE BABY was shot.

by Anonymousreply 2010/04/2013

Susanne ZENOR, that is.

by Anonymousreply 2110/04/2013

"The Baby's not the subhuman creature you've made him into. The Baby belongs to himself! See you in court, Mrs. Wordsworth."

by Anonymousreply 2210/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!