Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Any federal government employees here?

I can't be the only one. Are you gearing up for the shutdown? My partner and I are both federal employees. This is very stressful.

by Anonymousreply 1509/30/2013

sorry OP...keep us posted

by Anonymousreply 109/30/2013

Don't stress out. I worked for the federal government in 1995 during the last shutdown. You won't lose pay - they'll pay you retroactively. This shutdown - if it occurs - will only last a few days.

by Anonymousreply 209/30/2013

I'm sure your job is totally essential.

by Anonymousreply 309/30/2013

I wouldn't sweat it. We'll see a few days of the blame game and political posturing, as always, and then it will be over. The banks, Wall Street and the big corporations cannot afford to lose any money.

by Anonymousreply 409/30/2013

I'm sure r3 deserves a hard slap in the face.

by Anonymousreply 509/30/2013

Same here, r2. Everybody moaned and groaned and then we got all our back pay. What a waste of good hysteria.

by Anonymousreply 609/30/2013

R2 and R6: THIS. IS. NOT. 1995.

I work for the federal government (DoD) and word on the street is that Republicans are highly unlikely to approve retroactive pay for days that federal employees didn't actually work (even though they couldn't due to Congress' negligence).

I'm somewhat fortunate in that during the furloughs this summer (which were curtailed by 5 days), I was able to go on orders for a month since I'm a military reservist. That allowed me to offset some of the financial strain; however, due to fiscal constraints, orders are no longer an option.

The Republicans introduced a bill called "The Pay Our Military Act," which will ensure continued pay for DoD civilians; however, it's hard to feel completely at ease with everything that's going on in DC. Ultimately, the only positive thing to come out of this shitty year is the reminder that it's important to live within your means and save up an emergency fund (which I failed to do). My only advice to people is to avoid dipping into their retirement savings and cut back a little.

My dad, who's also a federal employee gave me some good financial advice (note: he actually MADE money during the financial collapse of 2008 by actively managing his accounts). Since the market might tank if the federal government shuts down and the debt ceiling continues to be used as a bargaining chip, it'd be wise to protect your current TSP earnings. Do whatever you think is most prudent, but I was advised to move my money into a low risk fund until a decision has been made on the debt ceiling.

by Anonymousreply 709/30/2013

My friend has been in meetings for over a week with planning and shit for the stupid shutdown.

What a fucking royal waste of taxpayer dollars.

I don't want ANYONE to EVER make the claim that the GOP is the party of 'fiscal responsibility' again.

by Anonymousreply 809/30/2013

Federal retiree here (CSRS, not FERS.) My pension check had better damn well show up tomorrow!

I know in the past when we had shutdowns we always ended up getting paid eventually, but my former colleagues who are still working seem to think that won't be happening this time. I never had to go through the furloughs like they did this past fiscal year.

by Anonymousreply 1109/30/2013

R8, same here. We've been wasting so much time the past couple of weeks planning for a shutdown that may not even happen. Of course, the planning HAS to be done, but it may turn out to be a giant waste of time. Guess we'll know at midnight.

Chances are we WON'T be paid for the time this go round.

My partner just found out that she's essential, which is good because eventually she will be paid for her time worked. Me, I will file for unemployment immediately. Who knows, this may go on for a few days or it could be weeks.

Very busy day today (taking a brief break now). I'm a paralegal and we're all pumping out massive amounts of work to mean all of our deadlines. At this point, as sick as this sounds, I almost hope there IS a shutdown just so all of this won't be in vain! :-)

by Anonymousreply 1209/30/2013

Op, can every government employee file for unemployeement? This will be a financial burden on the country.

by Anonymousreply 1309/30/2013

I wonder about how the unemployment thing works. Don't you have to be available to take another job in order to receive unemployment? No one is going to hire someone who's going to go back to their old job in a few days. And aren't there conflict of interest issues?

by Anonymousreply 1409/30/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!