Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Lowell, MA

I recall a thread here a year or so ago about Lowell, though I can't find it now. Anyway, I just watched "The Fighter" on Netflix and would enjoy chatting about this gritty city. Any firsthand info, many DL New Englanders?

by Dickie Ecklundreply 2701/11/2015

Ask what you'd like to know about it...very trashy city...plenty of drug addicts...gangs...

there are some good people there of course. I have a friend who lives there. Honestly I hate visiting the city.

by Dickie Ecklundreply 109/30/2013

Is it a tough place to grow up? What are the nice sections? Has it gone down hill recently or was it always a rough town?

by Dickie Ecklundreply 209/30/2013

I went to grad school there in the late 80s-early 90s. It was pretty ugly at the time, although they were trying to improve the downtown area (where I lived in a dorm). There was one gay bar way out in the country on the New Hampshire border. All in all, not a great experience.

by Dickie Ecklundreply 309/30/2013

It was scary in the 70's, so many other nice places than Lowell, ugh.

by Dickie Ecklundreply 409/30/2013

It's somewhere my parents always told me to avoid if possible. It can be a tough place to grow up, yes. There is trash of every kind here-white, black, mixed latino and asian. Lowell has been shit for at least 40 years, if not more. Lowell started out as an industrial town and there are small historical sites, but in the middle of the 1900s things started declining rapidly.

There are some positive signs...the Lowell campus of UMass is there which attracts students which slowly leads to some improvements in the city. There are also plenty of asian, african and latino immigrants living there who are trying to better their lives and achieve the American dream. There are nice/fun community events and festivals.

Pawtucketville in the northwestern part of the city and parts of Belvidere are fine and the downtown area has been built up a bit recently but really that's it. There are so many unpleasant areas. I'm young but apparently Lowell has improved in the last 10 years. The 80s, 90s and beginning of the 2000s were the worst periods for the city. I do think things will slowly continue to improve with time, but Lowell is still quite deserving of its negative reputation.

My friend who I've known for a year has been living there 7 years. Last year his place was broken into...he now has a big wooden block across the door of the main entrance (on a main street) of his place. He keeps the shades pulled and only goes in and out of the parking lot entrance...

by Dickie Ecklundreply 509/30/2013

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Dickie Ecklundreply 609/30/2013

What's the baddest part of town?

by Dickie Ecklundreply 709/30/2013

Don't go walking around in most areas at night-assaults, muggings, shootings, rapes can all occur.

by Dickie Ecklundreply 809/30/2013

Many places to avoid but ESPECIALLY the Acre. That is the worst of worst places in Lowell.

by Dickie Ecklundreply 910/01/2013

James Abbott Whistler was born in Lowell, Massachusetts. He was the first child born to Anna Matilda McNeill and George Washington Whistler, a prominent engineer. She was his father's second wife. At the Ruskin trial, Whistler claimed the more exotic St. Petersburg, Russia as his birthplace: "I shall be born when and where I want, and I do not choose to be born in Lowell", he declared.

by Dickie Ecklundreply 1010/01/2013

I have relatives that live in the nice sections of Lowell. The city has the highest percentage of Cambodians in the US. The government of Cambodia opened a US Consular office in Lowell. 11% of the 100,000 plus people are Puerto Rican. I went to school and UMass Lowell in the 90's. Never had a problem. Not sure what its like now.

by Dickie Ecklundreply 1110/01/2013

More, more!

by Dickie Ecklundreply 1210/01/2013

Lowell has asian gangs, latino gangs, black gangs, and plenty of white criminals/drug addicts.

by Dickie Ecklundreply 1310/02/2013

Wasn't Jack Kerouac from there?

by Dickie Ecklundreply 1410/02/2013

Bette Davis was born there, during a thunderstorm.

by Dickie Ecklundreply 1510/02/2013

Bette Davis was a thug.

by Dickie Ecklundreply 1610/02/2013

Lowell, along with Lawrence and Methuen are 3 cities in northern MA not far from the NH border that are just trashy, mostly poor and crime/drug-ridden. Most people try to avoid going to those places.

by Dickie Ecklundreply 1710/02/2013

Sounds charming!

by Dickie Ecklundreply 1810/02/2013

I work in North Andover and live in Rye Beach NH. I hate that fucking area. Let's not forget Haverhill either. Its utterly depressing. Lowell of the 3 areas DOES have some nice parts though in the city. But the people over there. Yucky. Andover is fairly wealthy as are parts of North Andover, but the area is so fucking seedy and ugly that I don't understand why someone with money would choose to live there at all.

by Dickie Ecklundreply 1910/02/2013

But even Methuen and Lawrence have nicer areas that are not crime ridden. Nashua's crime rate is on the same level as Methuen and Manchester NH's crime rate is on the same level as Lawrence.

by Dickie Ecklundreply 2010/02/2013

I don't know if it is still true but at one point Lowell was the car theft capital of the US.

by Dickie Ecklundreply 2110/02/2013

Check this out:

by Dickie Ecklundreply 2210/02/2013

and this:

by Dickie Ecklundreply 2310/02/2013

Well in all honesty, Manchester NH is a pit too. What an UGLY ugly city. I wouldn't live anywhere in NH except the seacoast or perhaps Hanover.

by Dickie Ecklundreply 2410/02/2013

Really, the only reason to ever go to Lowell is if you want to see a recording act on his/her/their way up or a recording act on his/her/their way down performing at the Tsongas Arena. That's where a lot of newcomers and has-beens perform if they're deemed "not big enough" to sell out somewhere like The Garden in Boston.

by Dickie Ecklundreply 2510/02/2013

Are there any things that commemorate that sloppy drunker speed freak author Keroauc? A plaque? a namesake cocktail?

by Dickie Ecklundreply 2610/02/2013

Bette Davis was born there. Of course it's a shithole.

by Dickie Ecklundreply 2701/11/2015
Need more help? Click Here.